Would you offer another contract to...

beachtiger

Would you offer another contract to...

Post by beachtiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:35 am

...Chris Lawerence based on his switch to the backrow?

Personally if he were willing to take a fair market price for his new position I would re-sign him once his contract expires providing he maintains his form.

I know we have been calling for his switch for a while now but I couldn't be happier for the bloke, great guy and absolutely loves this club!

I think with another 12 months learning the position and an off season to change body shape a little with some more bulk he will become a sensational second rower, much in the same mould of Luke Lewis.

Good onya Chris I hope this is a chance for you to stay at the Tigers for life.

:sign:

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:38 am

Sorry guys just noticed similar thread in main section...mods can you please shift this over there?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:39 am

Absolutely. On reduced money obviously. He has a lot to offer this team given the right role.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:47 am

he's still contracted for next season.. no rush.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:50 am

tig_prmz wrote:he's still contracted for next season.. no rush.
Yeah totally agree, would only be based on his development in the role and form at the time but I am excited for him for the first time in several seasons, deserves a run of good luck.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:53 am

Yes, for another season, but more importantly be on renegotiatd terms with the combined salary spread evenly over the now two year deal, to free up some space for next year. I would consider doing the same with Keefy as well.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 12:20 pm

It is too early to say, we have another year to make decision. His lateral movement and 'QE2 turns' are still major issues, he will also need to learn to run proper angles and improve his ball handling. I would prefer to see Sue/Akuaola and Leolevave/Funaki as our 2nd rowers.
In any case he will have to accept 1/3 to 1/4 of his current salary.

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 12:48 pm

Ask this time next season, on 2 games in the backrow it has been promising but need to see how he goes over and extended period.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:01 pm

It will be interesting to see if his body can handle the impact over extended weeks. Hope he handles it. He's a real footballer and could actually be a very effective edge runner.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:18 pm

I have been one of his biggest critics cause he is no way a Centre anymore and if he stayed out there i would of said no way get rid of him next year.
But I think he has been outstanding since moving to the backrow and i wouldn't rush into any Contract extension just yet as he still has next year to go . Lets wait till this time next year .
He is a fantastic Clubman though and hope he continues his form to warrant him an extension next year . Personally i would pay between $200 to $250k if he wants to stay after next year if form warrants it .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:50 pm

250k is about what I expect our average squaddie first graders to be on with a 6.5 mil salary cap.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:55 pm

Despite his experience, he is still quite young, so it's a yes from me. I'm so glad the switch is working out for him. I really hated seeing him struggle in the centres all these years, but he is a much rejuvenated player in the back row. I love watching him making hits and running with the ball now, though his handling could still use some work.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 2:48 pm

too early... lets see how he goes after a few head knocks!

However, it may pose a tough decision for the Tigers considering how many young backrowers we have in development.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 2:57 pm

we'll see how it plays out, but yes on a moderate salary.

he must be on a lot, especially back ended, as an Aussie representative at the time
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 3:35 pm

Doesn't matter how much he is on now - contract was back ended. Probably an average of $350,000.

You could not offer less - he is not a squaddie. The guy is an International.
We'll see how he goes for the rest of the season to start with. He'll go alight in my opinion. I think it will be a question of "do we want him or don't want him."

To offer 200,000 is an insult - better to let him go if that is the case.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 4:22 pm

Thought this thread may have been about....
Nathan Brown.

I noticed they were calling Patty and Chris the old guys at the end of the game,
except... Chris isn't that old.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 4:42 pm

Russell wrote:Doesn't matter how much he is on now - contract was back ended. Probably an average of $350,000.

We'll see how he goes for the rest of the season to start with. He'll go alight in my opinion. I think it will be a question of "do we want him or don't want him."

$350,000 :shock: , i'll pass . Was an international many moons ago in a different position .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 4:53 pm

Russell wrote:Doesn't matter how much he is on now - contract was back ended. Probably an average of $350,000.

I like Chris and still think he is one of the best line runners in the game. I'd offer him what he is worth to our team at the time. Nothing is an insult. He makes the call. If we offered him 250K and someone else offered him $350K, he makes the call to go or not. You don't match offers because something might be an insult.

He has got the big dollars on his back ended contract. I'm sure Super League teams will make an offer. I'd be looking to stitch him up between 200K and 300K. He offers much more than just being a player.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!