Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Wests Tigers' troubles at Fortress Brookvale

Unread post by willow » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 3:46 pm

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers website:

Wests Tigers' troubles at Fortress Brookvale

Jack Brady, National Correspondent, NRL.com
Tue 16th June, 10:19AM

There aren't many worse losing streaks than the Wests Tigers' record at Brookvale Oval as coach Jason Taylor's prepares his side to face the Sea Eagles on Friday night.

In a hoodoo perhaps worse than the famed Dragons curse when playing the Raiders, the Tigers haven't won at Manly's home ground since 2003 – with only Eels lock Anthony Watmough and the NRL's oldest player, Rooster Willie Manu, the only two still playing from that game.

From 1968, the Western Suburbs Magpies only won three times from 29 attempts at Brookvale Oval while Balmain won a quintuplet of games out of 39 dating back to 1965.

Not even the Wests Tigers could make way of the hoodoo in their two games against the Northern Eagles in 2001-02.

Tigers five-eighth Mitch Moses recalled the one and only time he entered Fortress Brookvale, and it wasn't pretty after the Tigers were dealt a masterclass by halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran – who picked up maximum Dally M points between them – in the Sea Eagles 40-8 win in Round 18 last year.

"We were absolutely flogged by them. It was my second game of first grade too and we didn't start off too well at all and it showed," Moses said.

"We're not looking into [previous history] too much though. We're just looking to take what we did on the weekend and take that into the game on Friday. It's not an issue for us. We're just focusing on our goal of keeping teams to three or less tries per game.

"If we do that then we reach that goal and we're happy.

"[Foran and Cherry-Evans] are world class players so we'll definitely watch them in the game and have a lot of pressure on them.

"We won't try and take them out of the game but try and lessen their involvement."

Positively, the Wests Tigers enter this clash off the back of a huge 34-6 win against reigning premiers South Sydney. Looking like world beaters despite missing Origin duo Aaron Woods and captain Robbie Farah, the Wests Tigers ended their four-game losing streak.

"[Beating Souths] was a big boost for our confidence.

"We have been low for the past couple of weeks so it's a big thing for us and hopefully we can take that into the game on Friday," Moses said.

"It was a long time [between wins] so there was a good vibe after the game definitely. Everyone was excited after the win and it's a lot better than losing.

"We were able to capitalise on the plays we have been working on the past couple of weeks. That's the most important thing. We were just flowing off that so it was good to finally show what we could actually do with the ball."

Meanwhile, Dene Halatau (bicep) and Sauaso Sue (shoulder) are unlikely to face the Sea Eagles on Friday night in a double blow for the Wests Tigers.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 4:01 pm

If they concentrate on playing like they did against the Rabbits and forget anything about hoodoos or bad records at Brookvale,they will do very well....I don't really care for DCE or Foran,they are exceptional players,but so are our boys....go the WTs,you are a champion team and club,as has been sad before,you have your ups and downs,at the moment we are on the way up...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 4:17 pm

Show up & play with the same intensity we did on Fri night & we'll go a long way to winning this game.

rah53

Unread post by rah53 » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 4:49 pm

greatodensraven wrote:Show up & play with the same intensity we did on Fri night & we'll go a long way to winning this game.
Instead of the word "intensity", I'd say "desire". The Tigers haven't shown the desire to win for a quite a number of years. But last week, they had enough of losing & took it in their own hands, every player, even Mitchell Moses (who I'm still not sold on yet, but that's just me. :? What do I know?? :lol: )

wd in perth
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 5:20 pm

Prior to last week, our team was pathetic. Taylor said he wanted more energy. Well, he got energy by the bucket full. I'd say another way of saying energy is to just say have a go. If they have a go this week, they'll do ok.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Unread post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 7:21 am

Well we are loosing at grounds we normally win at lets win at grounds we normally loose at. Go you Wests Tigers lets embarse those silver tails in their own back yards.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 7:39 am

As a WTs spy , based within 5kms of Brookie. It's raining cats and dogs over here at the moment.
Our big men should be able to march straight through the front gates of the fortress its boggy.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

tsjonathan
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 11:21 am

When was the last victory at Brooky?

In 2005 we lost as well.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 387 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 11:29 am

tsjonathan wrote:When was the last victory at Brooky?

In 2005 we lost as well.
Round 4 2003 Wests Tigers 38 Manly 12...Fitzy bagged a double
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 11:47 am

Past doesnt matter...only this Friday matters...it all starts then.

Cosimo_Zaretti
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 11:54 am

"We won't try and take them out of the game but try and lessen their involvement."
I think Marty Tapau and Ryan Hoffman should have a gentleman's wager as to which of them can put the most hits on Cherry Evans between Wednesday and Friday night. Make it the toughest 48 hours of Cherry Evans' career.

Return to “Round 15: Wests Tigers vs Manly Sea Eagles”