Toovey expects Farah to play

willow

Post by willow » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 5:42 pm

Thu 18 Jun, 2015, 2:40pm
By Matt Encarnacion, AAP

Manly coach Geoff Toovey says he expects wounded NSW hooker Robbie Farah to back up for the Wests Tigers when they travel to Brookvale Oval on Friday night.

Blues teammate Aaron Woods and Queensland halfback Daly Cherry-Evans are both certainties to line-up in their respective sides after coming through unscathed after Origin II.

However it is the health of Farah that would be of most concern to the Tigers after the club skipper braved through an entire 80 minutes with an injured shoulder to help level the Origin series.

While Woods was named by coach Jason Taylor on Tuesday, Farah was left off the team sheet.

"I'd expect them to play, particularly after the good win that they had," Toovey said on Thursday morning.

"It's always better to play two days later than 3-4 days later. They'll be a bit sorer in 3-4 days time but they'll be on a high, so it'll be hard to stop."

Taylor said the club had yet to decide on Farah's status for Friday's match and would wait until his return from Melbourne.

"We're just going to have to wait and see," he said.

"He got a bit more of a knock on his shoulder towards the end of the game so he got through most of the game pretty well.

"He was feeling okay after the game. But we'll see how it pulls up."

Asked whether he thought it would be a risk for the Tigers to play Farah, Toovey said: "Who cares?

"Both of the Tigers players played really well (on Wednesday night) and hopefully they got all their good play out of their system on Wednesday."

Toovey described Cherry-Evans' performance in the Origin match as "quiet" and was confident he would face the Tigers.

The newly re-signed Sea Eagles star was forced into making 30 tackles against the Blues - many of them on the bigger Ryan Hoffman.

"I think `Chez' is used to that now," Toovey said.

"He's targeted as most halves are targeted during matches. He did a good job last night and I'm just glad, or hopeful, that he pulls up okay for us on Friday night.

"It was always going to be a tough job for him being thrown in there for the second game.

"But look, he did a good job. His kicking game was superb.

"He'll be better for it next time he plays."

STATS THAT MATTER

- Manly has dominated this clash for the past decade, winning 10 of 15 matches since 2006 with more than half of those wins by 18 points or more. The past four matches between these teams have been decided by 16 points or more.

- As the home team the Sea Eagles have had almost complete dominance over the Tigers, winning nine of 11 games, including a 40-8 thrashing at Brookvale in Round 18 last season. Historically the Tigers have a horror record at Brookvale, winning just one of nine since the joint venture was formed and three of 26 between 1970 and 1999 as Balmain.

- Keith Galloway has been named to play his 200th career match this week. Galloway made his debut for the Sharks in Round 19, 2003 against the Warriors and played 37 games over three seasons there before moving to the Tigers for the start of the 2006 season.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 5:55 pm

How do people feel about the fact that Robbie might play for his state and not for his club ??

Not knocking him , just asking the question ??

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 5:58 pm

Onya Tooves.... like we care what you expect
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 6:27 pm

happy tiger wrote:How do people feel about the fact that Robbie might play for his state and not for his club ??

The question could be answered by Cronulla supports over the last couple of seasons Gallen has hardly played any NRL games with his quest for Origin a guy on huge money at the club!
If Farah misses this week no big deal but would expect the game against the Panthers if playing Origin 3 .

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 6:41 pm

The Tele says:

Tigers: Aaron Woods pulled up well from Origin and will back up. But Robbie Farah (shoulder) won’t play. Dene Halatau (bicep) and Kevin Naiqama (hamstring) are set to be fit despite picking up injuries last week.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

willow

Post by willow » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 7:48 pm

happy tiger wrote:How do people feel about the fact that Robbie might play for his state and not for his club ??

I have no dramas with it at this time of year. His shoulder is not 100% and I'd rather he rest until Origin 3 and let it heal more. We were well served with Halatau and Cherrington last week and I think Cherrington in particular will continue to improve.

Fordy20

Post by Fordy20 » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 8:57 pm

Frankly I think Farah deserves it. He was screwed over by the selectors with Buderus easily playing one series too many and then we had two years of Ennis dishing up rubbish because the selectors saddled the side with Gidley in 2009. I expect the selectors have finally learnt from there mistakes and Farah will to be NSW's starting hooker for the next two or three years with one of Peats, Rein or Lichaa being blooded off the bench near the end.

As for next week, we only need Halatau for the first 20. Cherrington almost played two thirds of the match last week.

westy81

Post by westy81 » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 9:47 pm

I'd say he will play too unless his shoulder isn't 100%

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 10:02 pm

I've accepted that rep games happen, although the scheduling has been badly handled for Ch9's benefit. Sometimes players back up, sometimes they can't. I've decided I'd rather lose those blokes for a few games than have no one in the side worth selecting. It would be better to have standalone rep rounds, but it is what it is.

Least we're getting our boys back, unlike Melbourne who've lost Slater for the season.

Tigersman

Post by Tigersman » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 12:15 am

He will play.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Tigersman since 2013!

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 5:30 pm

I think he had 2 needles just to get through origin 2 doubt he'll play, gives us a good chance to blood Cherrington further who looks a talent

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 6:23 pm

willow wrote:

I have no dramas with it at this time of year. His shoulder is not 100% and I'd rather he rest until Origin 3 and let it heal more. We were well served with Halatau and Cherrington last week and I think Cherrington in particular will continue to improve.
I agree, it's the changing of the guard.
Robbie has been great for wests-tigers, :master: it is time to let the transition commence.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D