Brendan Santi

Sabre

Re: Brendan Santi

Post by Sabre » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 11:35 am

happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:I don't mind Santi but he has a few errors in his game. I love his tackling technique though. Very classical. Anyway we didn't lose last night because he dropped the ball. It didn't help but there were a number of things not least the lazy defence that let Foran stroll through a gap wider than Sydney Heads to score before half time.
I'm probably going to get shot for this , and I'm Teddy's biggest fan but Teddy should of screamed himself horse the second he saw where Santi ended up

Did anyone hear Lockyer's comments about Slater on Wednesday , that the biggest strength and biggest loss for Qld would be Slater calling the defensive line in position

I'm starting to be worried that our bloke at the back could be causing some of the problems with players so badly out of position in defence
If he is it isn't for lack of trying. Every live game I've been to I have noticed how much talking he does. He is constantly yelling at the defensive line, it stands out.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 11:48 am

Sabre wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:I don't mind Santi but he has a few errors in his game. I love his tackling technique though. Very classical. Anyway we didn't lose last night because he dropped the ball. It didn't help but there were a number of things not least the lazy defence that let Foran stroll through a gap wider than Sydney Heads to score before half time.
I'm probably going to get shot for this , and I'm Teddy's biggest fan but Teddy should of screamed himself horse the second he saw where Santi ended up

Did anyone hear Lockyer's comments about Slater on Wednesday , that the biggest strength and biggest loss for Qld would be Slater calling the defensive line in position

I'm starting to be worried that our bloke at the back could be causing some of the problems with players so badly out of position in defence
If he is it isn't for lack of trying. Every live game I've been to I have noticed how much talking he does. He is constantly yelling at the defensive line, it stands out.
Well then we have to ask why they don't listen , and then why Teddy doesn't give them an earful in the in goal area when they score from it

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:00 pm

Russell wrote:
king sirro wrote:His drop ball after getting smashed by Mason cost us the game.
If he lost us the game, what did Nofa do? Apart from go off that is.

I addressed that very thing in an above post
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:You can't blame Santi for that guys , we were on a roll and he was just trying to keep the momentum flowing

If you want to be pickier , he moves to the wrong side of the ruck and opened up the guts when Manly scored their third try just before half time

That was a far bigger error in my opinion

I liked the way he was bending the line in the middle of the ruck last night

I think we need to persevere with him personally , he could be a massive work in progress over the next 18 months

He reminds me of Corey Parker and he took a fair while to become an established NRL player
I agree with what you are saying, but I thought Lodge was as much to blame for the Foran try as Santi. Santi was at least covering Mateo who was bobbling and jinking, but Lodge failed to close inside to ensure the gap was covered. Could have driven a bus through there, which is inexcusable when the play had essentially halted whilst Mateo made up his mind.

I think Santi brings great energy, he just has to focus it better. Sarge on the other hand is very low-intensity, but makes less mistakes and is rarely beaten in a tackle.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:22 pm

I think Santi is a keeper.

Its just that error or two thats killing him atm......get rid of that and u have a very handy player!!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:23 pm

jirskyr wrote:
happy tiger wrote:You can't blame Santi for that guys , we were on a roll and he was just trying to keep the momentum flowing

If you want to be pickier , he moves to the wrong side of the ruck and opened up the guts when Manly scored their third try just before half time

That was a far bigger error in my opinion

I liked the way he was bending the line in the middle of the ruck last night

I think we need to persevere with him personally , he could be a massive work in progress over the next 18 months

He reminds me of Corey Parker and he took a fair while to become an established NRL player
I agree with what you are saying, but I thought Lodge was as much to blame for the Foran try as Santi. Santi was at least covering Mateo who was bobbling and jinking, but Lodge failed to close inside to ensure the gap was covered. Could have driven a bus through there, which is inexcusable when the play had essentially halted whilst Mateo made up his mind.

I think Santi brings great energy, he just has to focus it better. Sarge on the other hand is very low-intensity, but makes less mistakes and is rarely beaten in a tackle.
Santi should of closed the gap by going right before the play even developed , didn't help that a potential marker (I think it was Cherrington ) hadn't got back to marker either

But again that's what I've been saying , you and I are talking about players with less than 20 NRL games in experience combined to think and act like experienced NRL players

They might get away with that at NYC or NSW Cup , but they get eaten alive at NRL level

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:52 pm

Yeah sorry should of looked at the replay before commenting , does Cherrington end up there because he was left behind in the previous ptb or was it Lodge ??

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:59 pm

In fact I think it is mostly Cherrington's error.

Cherrington and Lodge are the markers; Cherrington runs halfway back to the line, watching Mateo. Santi is to the right of the ruck gap, the gap being where the markers should be covering.

As Santi pushes up, Cherrington is still interested in Mateo, who is face-on with Santi. The inside ball draws Cherrington as Santi also goes in for a tackle, and Lodge has not closed the gap by coming right.
Attachments
Screenshot (4).jpg
Screenshot (4).jpg (122.46 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Screenshot (1).jpg
Screenshot (1).jpg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 415 times

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 1:02 pm

king sirro wrote:
Mccarry wrote:
No it didn't. Our defence cost us the game. We scored enough points in the wet to win that

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

When u lose many things contribute. So I agree with u that our defence cost us. However I also feel that Santi dropping that ball cost us 12 pints and possibly 18 points. Manly scored off that set instead of us possibly scoring. I also believe they don't score the try on halftime if he holds it. But Yeh I do agree we still should defend the mistake. What makes me dirty is that he only made the error because his ego got in the way. He carried on like a hoose after getting smashed and that's why the error occurred. He should be very filthy in himself
Serious question - what do you mean he carried on a like a goose after getting smashed? It just looked to me like he was trying to get to his feet and regain some sort of balance when he lost control of the ball, the hit would've shaken him up a bit I imagine.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 1:05 pm

Ok Jirskyr count the numbers , we had overcommitted players to the left ( we had 6 marking 5 ) and the nearest player was Santi

If he closes the middle before the play started , he covers the inside runner

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 1:24 pm

I thought we lost because Manly clearly just ran harder than our forwards were prepared to. Not because a kid played the ball incorrectly with 45mins left in the game

Magpie Ryan

Post by Magpie Ryan » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 2:43 pm

simonthetiger wrote:I think Santi is a keeper.

Its just that error or two thats killing him atm......get rid of that and u have a very handy player!!
My thoughts exactly!

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 2:52 pm

Flippedy wrote:
king sirro wrote:
Mccarry wrote:
No it didn't. Our defence cost us the game. We scored enough points in the wet to win that

When u lose many things contribute. So I agree with u that our defence cost us. However I also feel that Santi dropping that ball cost us 12 pints and possibly 18 points. Manly scored off that set instead of us possibly scoring. I also believe they don't score the try on halftime if he holds it. But Yeh I do agree we still should defend the mistake. What makes me dirty is that he only made the error because his ego got in the way. He carried on like a hoose after getting smashed and that's why the error occurred. He should be very filthy in himself
Serious question - what do you mean he carried on a like a goose after getting smashed? It just looked to me like he was trying to get to his feet and regain some sort of balance when he lost control of the ball, the hit would've shaken him up a bit I imagine.
What I mean is that he let his ego get the better of him after being smashed and tried too hard and too quick to gather himself. Sort of like when someone slips when walking down the street and they spring back up like nothing happened due to embarrassment. Santi did that and in his rush dropped the ball. All happens very very quickly though so saying he carried on like a goose is a bit harsh
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 3:19 pm

If you mean - he carried on like a goose by:

Throwing the ball down after the ref blew his whistle - it was because he knew he cost his team possession and was berating himself for doing it.

I would have been much more upset if he was smiling after losing the ball.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 3:29 pm

Russell wrote:If you mean - he carried on like a goose by:

Throwing the ball down after the ref blew his whistle - it was because he knew he cost his team possession and was berating himself for doing it.

No I don't mean that. Did I not explain it well enough in the previous post?
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

barra

Post by barra » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 4:07 pm

Magpie Ryan wrote:
simonthetiger wrote:I think Santi is a keeper.

My thoughts exactly!
Me too. I'm really warming to his enthusiasm and commitment which is something that seems to be lacking in the minute-to-minute body language of a lot of our players. But he really needs to get those errors out of his game.

He's only young so has every opportunity to do this, and then will be a regular top grader.

barra

Post by barra » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 4:09 pm

king sirro wrote:
Russell wrote:If you mean - he carried on like a goose by:

No I don't mean that. Did I not explain it well enough in the previous post?
Russell I think KS means that he over-did the squirm and wriggle thing after Mason had knocked him down, and before he started to get to his feet. I agree that this seemed to take his concentration of ball security...

littletiger

Post by littletiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 4:48 pm

Santi drop ball was soft and not first grade standard. Masons hit shook him up a bit and he dropped his lollies. Got to be harder than that being in the forwards.