Brendan Santi

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Brendan Santi

Post by formerguest » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:42 pm

jirskyr wrote:In fact I think it is mostly Cherrington's error.

Cherrington and Lodge are the markers; Cherrington runs halfway back to the line, watching Mateo. Santi is to the right of the ruck gap, the gap being where the markers should be covering.

As Santi pushes up, Cherrington is still interested in Mateo, who is face-on with Santi. The inside ball draws Cherrington as Santi also goes in for a tackle, and Lodge has not closed the gap by coming right.
I think that your screen shots shows my first thoughts that the numbers were nowhere near matched up and as Santi is the furthest to our left, he must be most to blame. He, and probably Ava as well, should have been on the other side of the ruck and covering the inside runner from there. Little doubt that is why Happy is also bringing Teddy and his role into the discussion

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:43 pm

king sirro wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
king sirro wrote:
king sirro wrote:His drop ball after getting smashed by Mason cost us the game.
No it didn't. Our defence cost us the game. We scored enough points in the wet to win that

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

When u lose many things contribute. So I agree with u that our defence cost us. However I also feel that Santi dropping that ball cost us 12 pints and possibly 18 points. Manly scored off that set instead of us possibly scoring. I also believe they don't score the try on halftime if he holds it. But Yeh I do agree we still should defend the mistake. What makes me dirty is that he only made the error because his ego got in the way. He carried on like a hoose after getting smashed and that's why the error occurred. He should be very filthy in himself
Serious question - what do you mean he carried on a like a goose after getting smashed? It just looked to me like he was trying to get to his feet and regain some sort of balance when he lost control of the ball, the hit would've shaken him up a bit I imagine.
What I mean is that he let his ego get the better of him after being smashed and tried too hard and too quick to gather himself. Sort of like when someone slips when walking down the street and they spring back up like nothing happened due to embarrassment. Santi did that and in his rush dropped the ball. All happens very very quickly though so saying he carried on like a goose is a bit harsh[/quote]

Yeah good point, in hindsight it would have been better if he stayed down for a bit to collect himself, however, I thought he was just trying to get a quick play the ball, more than trying not to show the hit actually hurt him, but you are probably more on the money.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:55 pm

Santi is out of his depth in first grade. He's like the forwards version of Rowe

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 7:32 pm

But again that's what I've been saying , you and I are talking about players with less than 20 NRL games in experience combined to think and act like experienced NRL players

They might get away with that at NYC or NSW Cup , but they get eaten alive at NRL level[/quote]

Exactly. We are paying the price for having so many inexperienced guys. Most of our problems last night could be directly traced back to errors from our younger brigade. i count Nofo in that because he has only played a few games in centre at NRL level.

I like Santi's attitude and legspeed. He is a real goer and tryer and looks like he has a big heart. We need to keep playing him because he will get better. His errors are being magnified because we normally compound it by making further errors.

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 7:58 pm

king sirro wrote:His drop ball after getting smashed by Mason cost us the game.
It definitely changed momentum against us a bad time for it to happen.

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:06 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:I don't mind Santi but he has a few errors in his game. I love his tackling technique though. Very classical. Anyway we didn't lose last night because he dropped the ball. It didn't help but there were a number of things not least the lazy defence that let Foran stroll through a gap wider than Sydney Heads to score before half time.
I'm probably going to get shot for this , and I'm Teddy's biggest fan but Teddy should of screamed himself horse the second he saw where Santi ended up

Did anyone hear Lockyer's comments about Slater on Wednesday , that the biggest strength and biggest loss for Qld would be Slater calling the defensive line in position

I'm starting to be worried that our bloke at the back could be causing some of the problems with players so badly out of position in defence
Our bloke at the back also needs to work on his own defence.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:10 pm

cunno wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:I don't mind Santi but he has a few errors in his game. I love his tackling technique though. Very classical. Anyway we didn't lose last night because he dropped the ball. It didn't help but there were a number of things not least the lazy defence that let Foran stroll through a gap wider than Sydney Heads to score before half time.
I'm probably going to get shot for this , and I'm Teddy's biggest fan but Teddy should of screamed himself horse the second he saw where Santi ended up

Did anyone hear Lockyer's comments about Slater on Wednesday , that the biggest strength and biggest loss for Qld would be Slater calling the defensive line in position

I'm starting to be worried that our bloke at the back could be causing some of the problems with players so badly out of position in defence
If a back with any genuine speed is one on one with a fullback he should score virtually every time

With that much space to work with most players should be able to manipulate the fullback into a bad position

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:28 pm

happy tiger wrote:
cunno wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

If a back with any genuine speed is one on one with a fullback he should score virtually every time

With that much space to work with most players should be able to manipulate the fullback into a bad position
My concern is not so much the scenario you have described Happy, although there have been good defensive fullbacks who can adjust, it's more watching Teddy trip or dive and miss when he is not having to defend in wide open spaces. A great attacking ability but needs work on the defence side of his game.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:34 pm

cunno wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
cunno wrote:
happy tiger wrote:[]I don't mind Santi but he has a few errors in his game. I love his tackling technique though. Very classical. Anyway we didn't lose last night because he dropped the ball. It didn't help but there were a number of things not least the lazy defence that let Foran stroll through a gap wider than Sydney Heads to score before half time.

My concern is not so much the scenario you have described Happy, although there have been good defensive fullbacks who can adjust, it's more watching Teddy trip or dive and miss when he is not having to defend in wide open spaces. A great attacking ability but needs work on the defence side of his game.[/quote]

What about his 2 one on one's on George Burgess last week

That my most minor concern with Teddy Cunno

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:31 pm

We just have alot of apprentices on the park at the same time... its as simple as that.

Every single superstar of the game has made the errors our team is making at present, thats how they became the elite, learning from their mistakes. Its just there have been few, if any teams ever, who had so few tradespeople to guide and help regather composure when faced with curve balls.

We obviously struggled to defend our errors last night, but we didnt disintegrate either. This team will learn the hard way, but I get the feeling they are on their way.

razor7

Post by razor7 » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 8:47 am

As has been said here many times, our first priority must be to buy the best centre currently on the market for next season.We have improved up the middle but the right side defence in the backs from 7 out to the wing is very weak.Guys like Mitch Aubusson or Kane Linnet come to mind- big, good positionally, and make few errors

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 9:38 am

Black'n'White wrote:We just have alot of apprentices on the park at the same time... its as simple as that.

Every single superstar of the game has made the errors our team is making at present, thats how they became the elite, learning from their mistakes. Its just there have been few, if any teams ever, who had so few tradespeople to guide and help regather composure when faced with curve balls.

We obviously struggled to defend our errors last night, but we didnt disintegrate either. This team will learn the hard way, but I get the feeling they are on their way.
One of the best posts this year.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 10:15 am

Black'n'White wrote:We just have alot of apprentices on the park at the same time... its as simple as that.

I basically agree. I think the team is close to becoming a decent team. I was extremely worried about Taylor's coaching up until the last two games but I think he has stopped trying to lose games and started to try and win them.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 10:26 am

Black'n'White nailed it.

Also I think Santi is a better player than Lovett.

Post by 851 » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 3:03 pm

MacDougall wrote:Black'n'White nailed it.

Also I think Santi is a better player than Lovett.
Man I don't see that, I think Lovett is getting better each week,but Santi granted has had less chances in top grade has gone backwards each outing.
Go hard or go home

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 3:32 pm

If I had to choose right now I'd take Lovett, but it's a bit early to tell for either guy. In my experience, it's much easier for a big strong back-rower, like a Dwyer or Tepai Moeroa, to make a good impression. A lightweight workman can take a while. Both Lovett and Santi are looking better than Fulton was after 10 weeks.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 3:44 pm

I think Santi is the pick of the 2... nothing against Lovett, I just see him being not too far from his ceiling. That probably means at the minute he is better, he has been solid, I just see tonnes more upside in a guy like Santi when he really hits his straps.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm a fan of Lovett, I think he has a very well rounded game