Nofa

Alf Duguid

Nofa

Post by Alf Duguid » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:24 am

I think last night proved the Nofa experiment at centre should be shelved. Two poor defensive reads lead to manly tries. Let him play to his strengths of ball running and put him back to the wing. I yearn for a top quality defensive centre ala Tony Cossato from the glory years

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:58 am

He may have played there a bit as a junior, but top grade is a different prospect altogether. Some want Simona to play as a winger (which he is great at), but he plays centre because it is the hardest to master defensively and he is capable, where most, seemingly including Nofa aren't. For mine the experiment was already over prior to last night and if we want to teach players a position then NSW Cup is the place.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:35 am

I disagree and we don't have any better options. He is great in attack and is wasted on the wing. Surely someone can teach him the rudiments of reading the play and matching up.....At least he threatens out wide, unlike Lawrence or other recent replacements.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:40 am

Alf Duguid wrote:I think last night proved the Nofa experiment at centre should be shelved. Two poor defensive reads lead to manly tries. Let him play to his strengths of ball running and put him back to the wing. I yearn for a top quality defensive centre ala Tony Cossato from the glory years

It will be for a while if he has a medial tear

He could be gone for up to 6-8 weeks depending on the severity of the tear

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:43 am

happy tiger wrote:
Alf Duguid wrote:I think last night proved the Nofa experiment at centre should be shelved. Two poor defensive reads lead to manly tries. Let him play to his strengths of ball running and put him back to the wing. I yearn for a top quality defensive centre ala Tony Cossato from the glory years

You're a Doctor now to...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

willow

Post by willow » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:01 am

He certainly offers more with the ball than Lawrence, but his defensive reads are poor. I still think he and Simona are our best options, although if Richards hangs up the boots at the end of the year, I'd shift Nofo back to wing and promote Seve for next year.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:10 am

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Yes nurse Geo

Scalpel

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:14 am

willow wrote:He certainly offers more with the ball than Lawrence, but his defensive reads are poor. I still think he and Simona are our best options, although if Richards hangs up the boots at the end of the year, I'd shift Nofo back to wing and promote Seve for next year.
Richards plays on the left & Nofo plays on the right?

Seve was always a left centre through his juniors and I'd like to see someone at this club use commonsence and move him back there. His ability to get on the outside of his man is 200% greater playing on the left.

I'd prefer to see in 2016:

Left Wing - Simona
Left Centre - Seve
Right Centre - ???
Right Wing - Nofo

"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:17 am

Tiger Watto wrote:Left Wing - Simona
Left Centre - Seve
Right Centre - ???
Right Wing - Nofo
I like the look of that. I rate Simona as a centre however he can also play wing. We need to have some speed out wide and try to win games.

I have no issues with Naiqama being at right centre. He isn't a gun but I think he is good enough.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:34 am

Noffa and Simona need to be kept there and persevered with- both have talent and in the long term it will be a good move IMO.

My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:40 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
willow wrote:He certainly offers more with the ball than Lawrence, but his defensive reads are poor. I still think he and Simona are our best options, although if Richards hangs up the boots at the end of the year, I'd shift Nofo back to wing and promote Seve for next year.
Richards plays on the left & Nofo plays on the right?

Seve was always a left centre through his juniors and I'd like to see someone at this club use commonsence and move him back there. His ability to get on the outside of his man is 200% greater playing on the left.

I'd prefer to see in 2016:

Left Wing - Simona
Left Centre - Seve
Right Centre - ???
Right Wing - Nofo

They will probably persevere with Milone...

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:59 am

Watson Heleta has been as good as if not better than Seve since they came to the Tigers tbh. They're also both better than Hoeter and Milone.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 11:42 am

I think Nofa is only a winger. It is wing or nothing for mine.

It is also a problem that he seems to be injury prone, maybe his contract when up shouldn't be extended.

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 11:50 am

Russell wrote:I think Nofa is only a winger. It is wing or nothing for mine.

It is also a problem that he seems to be injury prone, maybe his contract when up shouldn't be extended.
Wow. Huge call. He has had a tough run with some compounding injuries - ankles and knees are often related.

He has played centre twice. There is no reason why he can't learn. He is a good tackler. He just need to learn his new role.

Does anyone seriously expect him to have a seamless move? Seriously. Two games... ?

He runs a great line : tick
He busts tackles and creates second phase play: tick
He tackles hard and puts his body on the line: tick
He has formed a defensive combo in his second game at centre: cross

Solution: sack him

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jctiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:02 pm

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

No, but he's had a medial tear !

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:32 pm

Yeah what do you do if you can score 2 but let in 3.

Nofo cost us last week too, but we were able to recover and turn the screws. His reads last night were atrocious, I think he got only 1 right and was trampled a few times, poor Naiqama having to cover.

No surprise Manly struggled to score on our right (and switched their attack to our left) when Sarge went to right centre.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:32 pm

Nofoaluma has had 3 games of NRL in the toughest defensive position in the game

He needs more time to see if he can be a success at centre , he handles the attack side well , but defensively is probably more important

Patience my buttercups ,patience :)

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 1:27 pm

I don't ever remember him playing any centre in his 20's days, all of a sudden he is a centre because we have no one else. Why wasn't he playing centre before and why do we have to have players in first grade to learn how to play?