Leichhardt Oval undecided, fans urged to make a statement on Sunday

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Leichhardt Oval undecided, fans urged to make a statement on Sunday

Unread post by willow » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 7:23 am

With the future of Leichhardt Oval undecided, fans urged to make a statement on Sunday

7 hours ago June 28, 2015 12:00AM

WESTS Tigers skipper Robbie Farah affectionately calls it “the eighth wonder of the world”.

For the Balmain junior who played for Leichhardt Wanderers, the Balmain Tigers’ spiritual home of Leichhardt Oval is still the best ground in the NRL by the length of the Flemington straight.

On Sunday against Penrith, with the forecast for sunshine and the Tigers’ new board room still undecided about the future of Leichhardt Oval as an NRL venue, fans get the opportunity to make a statement.

To show the Tigers board, complete with three NRL-appointed “independent” directors, that as much as ANZ Stadium will bump up the bottom-line by $100,000-per-game, there is still a legion of Tigers faithful who love nothing more than standing on the hill squinting into the sun with a pie and a beer in either hand.

“It’s no secret I love Leichhardt Oval, being a Balmain junior it will always hold a very special place in my heart,” Farah said. “At the moment no one is really sure how many more games we’re going to get at Leichhardt so to me every single one of them is like gold.

“When you look up on the hill, it gives you chills. The fans are so close to the action you can hear them all, it’s a great place. I hope the club can always find a way to play a couple of games a year there, it’s such a special venue in terms of the history of the club.”

On Sunday, the Tigers will boast six Balmain juniors in the 17-man line-up, with each and every one of them attached to the venue after a lifetime of attending Tigers home matches.

Aaron Woods is proudly the first Leichhardt Juniors junior to play for NSW, Luke Brooks played for Holy Cross Rhinos and Leichhardt Wanderers, Mitchell Moses played for Carlingford Cougars, Kyle Lovett played for Five Dock RSL and Leichhardt Juniors and Dene Halatau moved from the Merrylands Rams to North Ryde Hawks.

Injured Tigers forward Curtis Sironen is another current NRL player from the Balmain junior nursery with the North Ryde Hawks, with the second-rower, Woods, Brooks and Moses all attending renowned rugby league nursery Holy Cross Ryde.

For the Western Suburbs side of the joint venture, Campbelltown Stadium is equally as sacrosanct, with the Magpies contributing NRL stars James Tedesco Chris Lawrence, David Nofoaluma and Jesse Sue to the current NRL squad and having produced other club favourites like Bryce Gibbs and Liam Fulton.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 8:53 am

Sunday arvo on the hill basking in the sunshine on a bright day like this one is something I look forward to. The sold out TV controlled game now has matches starting at or after four o'clock, so having just passed the winter solstice, additional lighting will be brought in and activated from the start to support the fading light, whilst half the game will be played in darkness.

Had our game not been chosen by free to air we would probably have had to play tomorrow night as Foxtel's next choice. If we been chosen as the the two o'clock match (or even 3pm per last year), we would be heading there this afternoon with a blanket, but as a result of the later start, we won't.

Do others feel the same way?

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 9:04 am

It's Sunday night footy these days. Can't see the crowd figure affecting what the club wants to do. It's just media build up.

glebe_tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by glebe_tiger » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 9:21 am

That's the problem now with the channel 9 game, it's not a sunday afternoon game anymore due to the sun going down early.

We have to pander to Gyngell otherwise his all important sunday 6 o'clock news ratings are affected.

Russell
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 9:26 am

Yep! they are doing all they can to kill off the local grounds.

Not many of them left and pretty soon there will be none. Bugger the fans though.
As long as TV get what they want, then all is well. Slowly choking the game and it is going to be a very slow death. I think I am glad I am old enough not to have to spend to many years watching as it dies.

How do you kill the greatest game of all? EASY
Change the rules to point of ridiculous - give a few idiots a whistle and a small TV screen.
Give control to a bunch of dopes, let them sell the game to TV for thirty pieces of silver and then watch it become a joke.

OH1 for the old days at Leichhardt!!!!!

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 9:34 am

I hear that figure of $100,000 offered per game to play at ANZ and I believe we aren't the only team offered that sum.

As I live under a rock, how is that money recouped?
Is it government money?

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

gallagher
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:14 am

Sunny Sunday afternoon versus a Sydney team. The place should be packed.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:17 am

cqtiger wrote:I hear that figure of $100,000 offered per game to play at ANZ and I believe we aren't the only team offered that sum.

As I live under a rock, how is that money recouped?
Is it government money?

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Ticket sales, catering, additional attraction to gain Stadium memberships (not club), stadium sponsors etc, etc, etc.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 387 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:18 am

I'll be there....Fire up WESTS Tigers
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:18 am

gallagher wrote:Sunny Sunday afternoon versus a Sydney team. The place should be packed.
Won't be much sun in the second half

gallagher
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:23 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
gallagher wrote:Sunny Sunday afternoon versus a Sydney team. The place should be packed.
Won't be much sun in the second half
Yeah it looks like that will be the latest excuse if we can't pull a crowd

glebe_tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by glebe_tiger » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:25 am

I assume that money came from the stadium owners.

Heard the dragons got paid $100k to move last monday's game to SFS and they too face same financial hurdles with council to host games at the likes of Kogarah oval.

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Sabre » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:27 am

How hard is it to have the game kick off at 3 and be shown live. Then have an hour post-game show (like AFL does) leading into the news.

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:11 am

Sabre wrote:How hard is it to have the game kick off at 3 and be shown live. Then have an hour post-game show (like AFL does) leading into the news.
What you find is they show the Intrust Super Cup Live every Sunday on Channel 9 then move onto the NRL 4pm Kick off . So Queensland viewers can watch the game Live. That is the answer for it all Sabre

SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES v TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS
Davies Park on Sunday, June 28 – 1.40pm* (Live on Channel 9)
Referee: Nick Morel
Head-to-Head: Tweed 15 Souths Logan 11
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SLMvTHS
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 1:18 pm

That is right, the teams we get playing at Campbo are out of towners, so here is the chance, and boy don't the team need a win.
Go hard or go home

Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 1:20 pm

foreveratiger wrote:
Sabre wrote:How hard is it to have the game kick off at 3 and be shown live. Then have an hour post-game show (like AFL does) leading into the news.
What you find is they show the Intrust Super Cup Live every Sunday on Channel 9 then move onto the NRL 4pm Kick off . So Queensland viewers can watch the game Live. That is the answer for it all Sabre

SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES v TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS
Davies Park on Sunday, June 28 – 1.40pm* (Live on Channel 9)
Referee: Nick Morel
Head-to-Head: Tweed 15 Souths Logan 11
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SLMvTHS
Also would overlap the 2.00pm FOX game, which would have to start at 1.00pm to cater for the 3.00pm start of nines game.
Go hard or go home

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 387 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 9:10 pm

Geo. wrote:I'll be there....Fire up WESTS Tigers
They didn't.... :cry:

Crowd was good...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”