Taylor "all about defence" mantra coming back to bite him

tigerlogic

Re: Taylor "all about defence" mantra coming back to bite him

Unread post by tigerlogic » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:21 pm

rex2ce wrote:The team was going better earlier in the season with Tapau off the bench, he may want to be a starter ,but that's not his best role,if he is not prepared to be a "team player" let him go to Gold Coast and get someone else.
Their are a lot of quality players throughout the other 15 clubs playing off the bench cause it suits the " team "
Pretty sure taupau has started all season at lock... We have so many terrible players in our first grade team and you talk about letting taupau go????
That's drugs!!!

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:21 pm

happy tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Yet all the sudden it the coaches fault
Happy - the coach has been disgraceful.

His comments regarding defence was obviously spin and basically everyone could see it. His game plans have been terrible.

He has had some positives. Picking Lawrence in the backrow was a good decision.

Overall though he has us going backwards with a bullet and its hard to figure out how that is possible but he has done it.

Yes we have some problems with our team but we have just as big a problem with a dud coach.
You pull 1 line from 9 lines

And you have the gall to call what Taylor says spin
It was the key point. I don't know why you cannot admit that you have it so wrong.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:22 pm

diedpretty wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
Eddie wrote:He bagged Sheens saying it was really ugly teams just pooring through the middle under a "hard sliding" defence. He bagged Potter saying it was an umbrella. All out up and in and people were all over the place out wide.

Many people agreed we were a poor defensive team. However to bag former coaches and he so bullish and cocky about it. Well it seems to be coming back to haunt him now. He said it was simple to fix and was really confident that with his tactics it would improve with a clear mix of the 2 defensive styles.
I cannot think of a worse coach that we have had. I'm including Terry Lamb and Alan Jones in this list.

Yea you have said that before( many times ) - Alan Jones was never a coach of WT - I couldn't be bothered picking you up before but your constant whine has finally got to me.
I'm going back a fairly long time and you'd need to go back further to get someone as bad as the spin master.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:22 pm

Tigerheart_returns wrote:Happy - what I expect of Taylor is a glimpse of improvement. Not top 8, but simply to see my team trying week in, week out; to support a team that is able to walk off the field with their heads held up high. Do you think they did that on Sunday? Or the previous week against the Titans? Can you honestly say that Tayor is showing signs that this team is heading somewhere? If so, let me know, because I, like many others, seemingly, are in the dark about where we are going. I said in another thread that Taylor's own words were to judge the team after round 13 or so...we are doing just that.

As for home advantage not meaning anything, then it would be sad if we have lost this edge. I don't know of too many other codes where the fans are not acknowledged when playing at home. But fans also know when they are been taken for a ride.

And here's another possibility - if you think things are not going your way, you can always admit defeat and leave - there is no shame in quitting. Bellamy had his own monkey - the SoO - quitting as NSW coach in 2010 with a record of two wins from nine games, before becoming the respected coach he is today.
How old are you? You obviously have no knowledge of Bellamys coaching career. As for Leichhardt we lost this "edge" last year if not from when we became a JV. We don't have a home ground. We are the perennial nomads. I'm amazed that everyone blames the coach but no one blames the inept management of this club over the last 15 years.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:24 pm

stevetiger wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
Eddie wrote:He bagged Sheens saying it was really ugly teams just pooring through the middle under a "hard sliding" defence. He bagged Potter saying it was an umbrella. All out up and in and people were all over the place out wide.

Many people agreed we were a poor defensive team. However to bag former coaches and he so bullish and cocky about it. Well it seems to be coming back to haunt him now. He said it was simple to fix and was really confident that with his tactics it would improve with a clear mix of the 2 defensive styles.
I cannot think of a worse coach that we have had. I'm including Terry Lamb and Alan Jones in this list.

Yea you have said that before( many times ) - Alan Jones was never a coach of WT - I couldn't be bothered picking you up before but your constant whine has finally got to me.
I'm going back a fairly long time and you'd need to go back further to get someone as bad as the spin master.
I don't give a rats arse how far your going back - you have an agenda and i'm sick of it.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:27 pm

stevetiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Yet all the sudden it the coaches fault
Happy - the coach has been disgraceful.

His comments regarding defence was obviously spin and basically everyone could see it. His game plans have been terrible.

He has had some positives. Picking Lawrence in the backrow was a good decision.

Overall though he has us going backwards with a bullet and its hard to figure out how that is possible but he has done it.

Yes we have some problems with our team but we have just as big a problem with a dud coach.
You pull 1 line from 9 lines

And you have the gall to call what Taylor says spin
It was the key point. I don't know why you cannot admit that you have it so wrong.
You have absolutely no idea if you think that was the key point :roll

rex2ce
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by rex2ce » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:34 pm

tigerlogic wrote:
rex2ce wrote:The team was going better earlier in the season with Tapau off the bench, he may want to be a starter ,but that's not his best role,if he is not prepared to be a "team player" let him go to Gold Coast and get someone else.
Their are a lot of quality players throughout the other 15 clubs playing off the bench cause it suits the " team "
Pretty sure taupau has started all season at lock... We have so many terrible players in our first grade team and you talk about letting taupau go????
That's drugs!!!
Tapau was off the bench early in the season tigerlogic, I did not say get rid of him, team sports are as the name suggests for team players, if he doesn't want to do what's best for the team let him go is what I said
And do your own drugs !!!!!

jirskyr
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:49 pm

The question I want answered is, if this is mostly down to the coach, then why have we had the same results 4 years straight with 3 different coaches?

Supposing we accept the argument that JT is not the man to turn this team around - who is? Potter didn't get anything out of the side in two years, and at least he had 2 years to do something about it.

Calls for JT to be hooked after 16 rounds. God forbid, if we do hook the coach after just 1 year, what happens if we are < 50% wins by mid-way next year.

I do take happy's point as well - what message are you sending the players if they keep their contracts after average performances, but the coach gets shot every time we fall short of the 8.

Because as criticised as Sheens was, regularly over almost 10 years, he is by far the most successful coach we've had. People used to whinge about coming 9th every year, but it sure beats 13th-15th.

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 8:18 pm

happy tiger wrote:The biggest question I suppose we have to ask about Taylor is this

Does he have to change our game plan because the players can't obviously match what he wants or is it the players issues as they have to work on getting better

I say the latter , there is no use sugar coating it any more , our squad isn't good enough to match it at NRL and Taylor's simple game plans prove that most weeks

The board and recruitment are now forced to make decisions

You can't blame Taylor for the personnel he has at his disposal

This is why it will be a long haul to fix this

And if you want to see how the 2nd best option is going in Griffin (head of football operations ) and the CQ Capras , they lost 68-4 yesterday to the PNG Hunters and they couldn't even organize 17 players to have visas to play in game

Only 15 made the trip

They had to sign two local PNG players on one game deals and one of those players was the only one to score

Be careful what you wish for
Wow Happy, that's a bit low, blaming Griffin for the Capras plight.

As far as I am aware he is just an advisor. I had a quick look on the Capras site and Griffin isn't listed, in any capacity.

Now let's not forget that he took the Broncos to 3 finals appearances of the 4 seasons he was coach. I'm not saying our board made the wrong decision, we'll know that in 2 years time I suppose. But I'm not going to smear Griffin with the Capras failings.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 8:29 pm

cqtiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:The biggest question I suppose we have to ask about Taylor is this

Does he have to change our game plan because the players can't obviously match what he wants or is it the players issues as they have to work on getting better

I say the latter , there is no use sugar coating it any more , our squad isn't good enough to match it at NRL and Taylor's simple game plans prove that most weeks

The board and recruitment are now forced to make decisions

You can't blame Taylor for the personnel he has at his disposal

This is why it will be a long haul to fix this

And if you want to see how the 2nd best option is going in Griffin (head of football operations ) and the CQ Capras , they lost 68-4 yesterday to the PNG Hunters and they couldn't even organize 17 players to have visas to play in game

Only 15 made the trip

They had to sign two local PNG players on one game deals and one of those players was the only one to score

Be careful what you wish for
Wow Happy, that's a bit low, blaming Griffin for the Capras plight.

As far as I am aware he is just an advisor. I had a quick look on the Capras site and Griffin isn't listed, in any capacity.

Now let's not forget that he took the Broncos to 3 finals appearances of the 4 seasons he was coach. I'm not saying our board made the wrong decision, we'll know that in 2 years time I suppose. But I'm not going to smear Griffin with the Capras failings.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Well CQ he was the one who sacked Hetherington and that came directly from the person involved and then asked him to use his wive's breast cancer as the reason

He might not be listed as someone in power , but its obvious he is

krayola
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by krayola » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:00 pm

it's been a bad couple of months and yes, this is no better than the last three seasons really.

if there's any upside it's that this is far and away the youngest, least experienced roster of the last four years

and as people have said, we're going with youth mostly because no one wanted to come here. Well, they were willing to, but we paid them with imaginary money (Anasta, Marshall and Tedesco have all gone a season without receiving TPAs promised), signed people to player-friendly / club-poisonous contracts (Lawrence, Blair, Tuqiri, Farah is debatable) that sabotaged our budget, forcing us to let players go (Heighno, Gibbs, Gavet, Austin, Fifita) or renege on deals (Ryan, Takarangi). Our reputation as a club really cannot be that much lower, because I can't imagine it was even all that high when we were going well.

It pretty much all traces back to Humphreys and his desire to sign a representative a year, and bet on making the top 8 to getting a windfall to be actually to pay those rep players. The gambles he took then, and I haven't even mentioned the Sheens contract debacle, are a large part of why we're in this mess now.

But it could be worse...we could be Parramatta :D

Tigerheart_returns

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 8:16 am

How old are you? You obviously have no knowledge of Bellamys coaching career

Really? Regardless of one's age, anyone can Google this, and it shows a 67% win record - but hey, if that is not good enough, well I can't help that.

As for Leichhardt we lost this "edge" last year if not from when we became a JV. We don't have a home ground. We are the perennial nomads. I'm amazed that everyone blames the coach but no one blames the inept management of this club over the last 15 years.

The original topic was around Taylor's earlier comments about defence. Nothing to do with the board, which we all know is what it is. You can argue that we have many homes, sure, but none that feels closer to a fan than Leichhardt Oval. Or Belmore to a dog supporter.

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”