Taylor "all about defence" mantra coming back to bite him

Eddie
Been liked: 11 times

Taylor "all about defence" mantra coming back to bite him

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 9:30 pm

He bagged Sheens saying it was really ugly teams just pooring through the middle under a "hard sliding" defence. He bagged Potter saying it was an umbrella. All out up and in and people were all over the place out wide.

Many people agreed we were a poor defensive team. However to bag former coaches and he so bullish and cocky about it. Well it seems to be coming back to haunt him now. He said it was simple to fix and was really confident that with his tactics it would improve with a clear mix of the 2 defensive styles.

At the minute teams are scoring some of the softest tries you are ever likley to see against us. Teams are literally walking the ball in untouched at times. So Jason, what have we been working on on the training paddock in the off season and where is the improvement?

He said to judge him purely on how we go defensively. Well its not looking too pretty at the minute. After the early season enthusiasum dies down it appears no better or no different to other years. People can say well you had a back rower up against a flying machine which cost us 4 tries. But the coach put him there and Pat Richards didnt seem to know if was Arthur or Marthur
Last edited by Eddie on Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:43 pm

Yeah we can't tackle for crap. Our ruck D sucks balls, we are soft up the middle and too slow on the edges.
I asked a few of Taylor's most rabid supporters a while back what made them think he would make a difference and got no answers...Happy? Russell? Other loud mouthed idiots I forgot? Care to elaborate?

BornBlack&Gold

Unread post by BornBlack&Gold » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:12 pm

Yeah for such a thin skinned bloke taylor sure doesnt mind dishing out criticism of other coaches defensive game plans. He'd be on the verge of tears (or atleast calling up radio stations) if someone was criticising him so publicly.

Eddie

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:15 pm

stryker wrote:
I asked a few of Taylor's most rabid supporters a while back what made them think he would make a difference and got no answers...Happy? Russell?
Well you see they have fallen off the map because its looking ugly for them.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:17 pm

A bit of defensive line speed wouldn't hurt

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:25 pm

Lovett into the centres was obviously a masterstroke, though can I ask you guys a question?

I could understand the rabid bollocking Taylor cops if the team was playing their ring out yet it was malfunctions in the system bringing us undone... say we were making big metres every set from the corners, yet were always under pressure because our kicks werent as deep allowing better field position each set. But that isnt the case.

So the question is : Do you think the poor individual performances reflect what they are being coached? If the players didnt like the structure would you expect them to still tackle well, make good contact and cover tackle for each other well? I suppose what I am truly asking is where do you guys lay the onus for poor individual performances?

Because coaches like Bennett could drop Thaiday because the threat isnt empty... he had the squad depth to cover the loss. Our squad, we couldnt cover crap. Our squad wouldnt for the most part even be considered for Bennetts second string. I think its a big part of our mentality problem, the player security.

You guys will think I am making excuses for Taylor here, though I am honestly interested to hear where you draw the line between players fault and coaches fault.

alexaki

Unread post by alexaki » Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:31 pm

It's pretty simple our top players for the most part are not at NRL standard and we have no one below them who can do better.....

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 12:05 am

Yep we embrace this stupid romantic notion that a NRL side full of local juniors = success.

In reality if you have that many it means no good players want to sign up therefore you have to use them.

Taylor deserves some blame but the roster and those who put it together are the real villains.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 12:26 am

Black'n'White wrote:Lovett into the centres was obviously a masterstroke, though can I ask you guys a question?

I could understand the rabid bollocking Taylor cops if the team was playing their ring out yet it was malfunctions in the system bringing us undone... say we were making big metres every set from the corners, yet were always under pressure because our kicks werent as deep allowing better field position each set. But that isnt the case.

So the question is : Do you think the poor individual performances reflect what they are being coached? If the players didnt like the structure would you expect them to still tackle well, make good contact and cover tackle for each other well? I suppose what I am truly asking is where do you guys lay the onus for poor individual performances?

Because coaches like Bennett could drop Thaiday because the threat isnt empty... he had the squad depth to cover the loss. Our squad, we couldnt cover crap. Our squad wouldnt for the most part even be considered for Bennetts second string. I think its a big part of our mentality problem, the player security.

You guys will think I am making excuses for Taylor here, though I am honestly interested to hear where you draw the line between players fault and coaches fault.
What you are saying is a big part of the problem, but that too, comes back to the Coaches feet.
Once you have no consequences for non performance, you are already stuffed. This has been shown since the season started with players immune to being dropped , no matter how bad they played.
Yes, I' know there are none better in reserve grade, or so it's said. But sometimes all it takes is one or two people being dropped , for the penny to finally drop , that crap play will not be tolerated.
So what if the player elevated is not a star, or Not as good as the player dropped. Some of these imposters in first grade now , know that they're safe and don't give a Rats.
I'd rather see someone else get a go in the top grade, than have a bunch of bludgers turn up each week and produce this gutless rubbish. And that goes for ALL the non performers

And I wish our "Coach" would tell both our "superstars of the future "to shut their mouth in a game and cut out the mouthing off at real first graders until they've earned the right to have a say

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:10 am

Eddie wrote:He bagged Sheens saying it was really ugly teams just pooring through the middle under a "hard sliding" defence. He bagged Potter saying it was an umbrella. All out up and in and people were all over the place out wide.

Many people agreed we were a poor defensive team. However to bag former coaches and he so bullish and cocky about it. Well it seems to be coming back to haunt him now. He said it was simple to fix and was really confident that with his tactics it would improve with a clear mix of the 2 defensive styles.
I cannot think of a worse coach that we have had. I'm including Terry Lamb and Alan Jones in this list.

sunshine coast tiger

Unread post by sunshine coast tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:36 am

alexaki wrote:It's pretty simple our top players for the most part are not at NRL standard and we have no one below them who can do better.....

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
I think this is a large part of the problem. In saying that I still think Jason Taylor is way out of his depth and I would argue going a lot worse than the previous coach.

The best coach wouldn't come anywhere near our rooster, coaches are only as good as the players they have.

We have to have a clean out of the entire club but that takes years. The way it is going our average crowd next year will be below 10,000. Fans want winning sides. With our reported salary cap problems and no major backers willing to part with massive Third Party money, I can't see ay upside over the next few years.

rex2ce
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by rex2ce » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:58 am

The team was going better earlier in the season with Tapau off the bench, he may want to be a starter ,but that's not his best role,if he is not prepared to be a "team player" let him go to Gold Coast and get someone else.
Their are a lot of quality players throughout the other 15 clubs playing off the bench cause it suits the " team "

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 8:19 am

stryker wrote:Yep we embrace this stupid romantic notion that a NRL side full of local juniors = success.

In reality if you have that many it means no good players want to sign up therefore you have to use them.

Taylor deserves some blame but the roster and those who put it together are the real villains.
Couldn't have said it better if I tried. This junior bs is getting old.

Tiger In The Gong

Unread post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 8:37 am

Eddie wrote:He bagged Sheens saying it was really ugly teams just pooring through the middle under a "hard sliding" defence. He bagged Potter saying it was an umbrella. All out up and in and people were all over the place out wide.

At the minute teams are scoring some of the softest tries you are ever likley to see against us. Teams are literally walking the ball in untouched at times. So Jason, what have we been working on on the training paddock in the off season and where is the improvement?

He said to judge him purely on how we go defensively. Well its not looking too pretty at the minute. After the early season enthusiasum dies down it appears no better or no different to other years. People can say well you had a back rower up against a flying machine which cost us 4 tries. But the coach put him there and Pat Richards didnt seem to know if was Arthur or Marthur

Well said Eddie.

We are playing some of the softest footy we have played under any coach.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 8:40 am

Bennett and the Broncos must hear our defensive mantra and go "haha that's cute". I'm sure Blair laughs the hardest.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 8:53 am

stryker wrote:Yeah we can't tackle for crap. Our ruck D sucks balls, we are soft up the middle and too slow on the edges.
I asked a few of Taylor's most rabid supporters a while back what made them think he would make a difference and got no answers...Happy? Russell? Other loud mouthed idiots I forgot? Care to elaborate?
Well Nugget , our ruck still lacks line speed , doesn't have the support of any field position , and our wingers get dominated when they take up the first 2 hit ups

I still have issues how quick it takes Woods ,Taupau and Keefy to get back to take a hit up as well and the lack of options either side of the ruck when they do finally get back

So answer this question for me Stryker , how and why has our supposed strength fail us and lose the ruck ??

That's not Taylors fault , that's Keefy's ,Taupau and Woods fault They are one's letting us get dominated by lesser forward packs continually

As my thread questions , how does our supposed "Strength" become a weakness ??

We still have personnel issues in more position than many of us care to admit

Based on yesterdays performance how many players are NRL standard on a continuous basis ??

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:04 am

The biggest question I suppose we have to ask about Taylor is this

Does he have to change our game plan because the players can't obviously match what he wants or is it the players issues as they have to work on getting better

I say the latter , there is no use sugar coating it any more , our squad isn't good enough to match it at NRL and Taylor's simple game plans prove that most weeks

The board and recruitment are now forced to make decisions

You can't blame Taylor for the personnel he has at his disposal

This is why it will be a long haul to fix this

And if you want to see how the 2nd best option is going in Griffin (head of football operations ) and the CQ Capras , they lost 68-4 yesterday to the PNG Hunters and they couldn't even organize 17 players to have visas to play in game

Only 15 made the trip

They had to sign two local PNG players on one game deals and one of those players was the only one to score

Be careful what you wish for

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:08 am

stryker wrote:Yeah we can't tackle for crap. Our ruck D sucks balls, we are soft up the middle and too slow on the edges.
stryker,I said in another thread we need some good tough hard forwards in the middle that are up to NRL standard,until we can afford to recruit we are still going to be soft..
The kids are stuck between a rock and a hard place,having to step up to NRL standard and not NYC as well as learning to guide the team around..affordability is the issue,untill we get some money into the bank then we are stuck with JTs mundane coaching of what he has got....cheers mate...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”