Taylor "all about defence" mantra coming back to bite him

Tiger In The Gong

Re: Taylor "all about defence" mantra coming back to bite him

Unread post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:17 am

Did anyone see the half time footage from the Tigers room.

All players gathered around like school children, eyes rolling, blank annoyed expressions as coach Taylor draws and explains where he thinks they are going wrong on a large white board.

Brian Smith eat your heart out.

Was a special moment, the players are clearly responding to his methods of coaching.
Last edited by Tiger In The Gong on Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

barra
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by barra » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:20 am

I think they need someone who can inspire them to make a better effort. Drawing pictures on a white board doesn't do that.

We've seen other teams with average players coached so well that they look like rep players against us, ours never put on those sort of displays.

Tigerheart_returns

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:23 am

Happy

to my mind, the players respond to what Taylor wants them to do as best they can or want to. So the answer to your question is a bit of both. Part of the coach's job is to create a cohesive unit, on and off the field.

As for the personnel, as I recall there were no big signing promises made. Taylor knew what he had to work with when he signed up. To the extent that he has been able to create a competitive team is reflected in our position on the ladder.

Tigerheart_returns

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:25 am

Yep, I can see the writing on the board now...

'Where are we now..
'Where do we want to get to .."
How do we get there .."

From the book of classic management quotes...

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:52 am

Tigerheart_returns wrote:Happy

to my mind, the players respond to what Taylor wants them to do as best they can or want to. So the answer to your question is a bit of both. Part of the coach's job is to create a cohesive unit, on and off the field.

As for the personnel, as I recall there were no big signing promises made. Taylor knew what he had to work with when he signed up. To the extent that he has been able to create a competitive team is reflected in our position on the ladder.
Taylors job is to getting the WT's to play football that will win games and premierships , not appease the fans

He is trying to create a cohesive unit , some of these blokes aren't up to it

Yes Taylor knew what he had to work with and so does every other WT's fan

Yet we expect him to work miracles with that same squad most of us admitted at the start of the season were a bottom four side

Are some of you crazy , seriously ?? :deadhorse: :brick:

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 9:57 am

Here's another look at it , a while ago we did a draft game for the current players

How many people picked any WT's players at all , let alone any in your top 6 picks bar Tedesco ,Woods ,Farah or Taupau ??

Our own fans don't think our players are up to it , yet when the coach can't turn them into Top 8 material he is to blame

When we lose = coaches fault

When we win = its the players

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:02 am

stryker wrote:Yep we embrace this stupid romantic notion that a NRL side full of local juniors = success.

In reality if you have that many it means no good players want to sign up therefore you have to use them.

Taylor deserves some blame but the roster and those who put it together are the real villains.
I was just thinking about the disaster, I watched last night and then I read your post, which should make people think.I read on another post about the players we "lost" from last year's team and the gains for this year. There were six "losses" and one gain ........ enough said.
Then, I started to think about the time-line of when things happened and who was the person/people responsible for the action right at that time.
For example, who made the decision to sign Moses(I am NOT saying if this was right or wrong!) to a long-term contract, which meant Austin's time as our NRL five-eight was coming to an end. Was this decision made BEFORE Taylor was appointed?
Who made the decision to choose Moses long-term and did they consider this may EXCLUDE Martin from staying at the Tigers? When was this decision really made?
If Kidwell was our defensive coach for 2013 and 2014 (Under Potter), when our defense deteriorated to a great degree, who made the decision to retain him for this year? Was this decision made by Taylor?
Who were the people with football experience/knowledge, who formed part of the group to appoint Taylor as the coach?
Did Taylor have any input into the players retained or "lost" for this year or were the decisions MADE (NOT when they were announced) before he was signed?
What role did Mayer play in all of the big decisions after the end of last season?
There are a hundred more questions like these, which need to be examined by an independent person (NOT Brian Smith, PLEASE!) to see where the Club went wrong, if they did?

Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:16 am

A lot of players should have been let go before Austin,he showed raw ability to anyone that follows League,doesn't mean he was the next big thing but if you have 5 Austins in your squad showing potential one should make it big.As i posted on WP If the decision to go with Moses/Brooks was a done deal Austin should have been moved to the centres or backup for Robbie.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

Tigerheart_returns

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:23 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tigerheart_returns wrote:Happy

Taylors job is to getting the WT's to play football that will win games and premierships , not appease the fans

Doesn't one come with the other?

He is trying to create a cohesive unit , some of these blokes aren't up to it

Then why keep using them? Will they ever be up to it? If not, they are of no use to him.

Yes Taylor knew what he had to work with and so does every other WT's fan

Yet we expect him to work miracles with that same squad most of us admitted at the start of the season were a bottom four side

Not miracles - but to be putting in, at least, yes, that's a fair expectation. Seeing some improvement.

Are some of you crazy , seriously ?? :deadhorse: :brick:
No, just love our team... :sign:

Eddie
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:37 am

happy tiger wrote:Here's another look at it , a while ago we did a draft game for the current players

How many people picked any WT's players at all , let alone any in your top 6 picks bar Tedesco ,Woods ,Farah or Taupau ??

Our own fans don't think our players are up to it , yet when the coach can't turn them into Top 8 material he is to blame

You are deflecting because there is not much improvement in the side as Taylor promised.

The fact is we are playing worse football every week with the same players,

If we can get them playing ok the first 2 months, now they look awful.

There has to be something in that from a coaching and motivational point of view. The fans are picking up on that. The fans know we are not a great roster, but they are not as bad as they are showing.

It is a coaches job to motivate and prepare the players. And getting flogged at Liechhardt by weak teams shows to me there is a breakdown.

I dont expect Top 8 but i expected to see some small improved performances bit by bit. That would a sign of progess, The team we put on the paddock yesterday was capable of beating Penrith side, that like you said was full of average players.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:58 am

Eddie wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Here's another look at it , a while ago we did a draft game for the current players

You are deflecting because there is not much improvement in the side as Taylor promised.

The fact is we are playing worse football every week with the same players,

If we can get them playing ok the first 2 months, now they look awful.

There has to be something in that from a coaching and motivational point of view. The fans are picking up on that. The fans know we are not a great roster, but they are not as bad as they are showing.

It is a coaches job to motivate and prepare the players. And getting flogged at Liechhardt by weak teams shows to me there is a breakdown.

I dont expect Top 8 but i expected to see some small improved performances bit by bit. That would a sign of progess, The team we put on the paddock yesterday was capable of beating Penrith side, that like you said was full of average players.
Leichhardt means nothing , honestly its just another football ground If your not a superior side on the field home field advantage means nothing

Still we were missing our centres , that's huge when we only have two that are remotely close to NRL standard

You say weak teams , the Penrith team was at about the same level yet they totally outmuscled us

We still are the same side , in many areas a NYC side as I keep saying and they play exactly like an NYC side , when on top they look good and when down look awful

You have to play 50 games to get 50 games experience no matter how good you might be

I just don't know what people expect of Taylor

You have to earn experience , it can't be coached , no matter how many times a coach might tell you

And if players aren't up to it and are acknowledged as the best players we can pick by many judges who do you bring in ??

Lesser players ?? No ??

So what does Taylor do if he is an accountable and responsible coach ??

Exactly what he is doing , he has no other option

Tigerheart_returns

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 5:30 pm

Happy - what I expect of Taylor is a glimpse of improvement. Not top 8, but simply to see my team trying week in, week out; to support a team that is able to walk off the field with their heads held up high. Do you think they did that on Sunday? Or the previous week against the Titans? Can you honestly say that Tayor is showing signs that this team is heading somewhere? If so, let me know, because I, like many others, seemingly, are in the dark about where we are going. I said in another thread that Taylor's own words were to judge the team after round 13 or so...we are doing just that.

As for home advantage not meaning anything, then it would be sad if we have lost this edge. I don't know of too many other codes where the fans are not acknowledged when playing at home. But fans also know when they are been taken for a ride.

And here's another possibility - if you think things are not going your way, you can always admit defeat and leave - there is no shame in quitting. Bellamy had his own monkey - the SoO - quitting as NSW coach in 2010 with a record of two wins from nine games, before becoming the respected coach he is today.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 5:42 pm

Tigerheart_returns wrote:Happy - what I expect of Taylor is a glimpse of improvement. Not top 8, but simply to see my team trying week in, week out; to support a team that is able to walk off the field with their heads held up high. Do you think they did that on Sunday? Or the previous week against the Titans? Can you honestly say that Tayor is showing signs that this team is heading somewhere? If so, let me know, because I, like many others, seemingly, are in the dark about where we are going. I said in another thread that Taylor's own words were to judge the team after round 13 or so...we are doing just that.

As for home advantage not meaning anything, then it would be sad if we have lost this edge. I don't know of too many other codes where the fans are not acknowledged when playing at home. But fans also know when they are been taken for a ride.

And here's another possibility - if you think things are not going your way, you can always admit defeat and leave - there is no shame in quitting. Bellamy had his own monkey - the SoO - quitting as NSW coach in 2010 with a record of two wins from nine games, before becoming the respected coach he is today.
The players don't have much competition for places do they ??

And the players know what happens if they don't perform , we get rid of a coach

Again we had no starting centres after 30 minutes

We have many inexperienced players and players who probably aren't up to it

Taylor has taken sides to the Top 8

This side will go backwards , forwards ,sideways throughout the next 12-18 months

People have to accept this

Most people thought this side was bottom 4 at the start of 2015

Yet all the sudden it the coaches fault

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 5:48 pm

Tigerheart_returns wrote:Yep, I can see the writing on the board now...

'Where are we now..
'Where do we want to get to .."
How do we get there .."

From the book of classic management quotes...
I doubt he would have received an answer from his players to any of those questions. They probably did however have one question in mind," when does the season finish".

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 6:42 pm

happy tiger wrote:Yet all the sudden it the coaches fault
Happy - the coach has been disgraceful.

His comments regarding defence was obviously spin and basically everyone could see it. His game plans have been terrible.

He has had some positives. Picking Lawrence in the backrow was a good decision.

Overall though he has us going backwards with a bullet and its hard to figure out how that is possible but he has done it.

Yes we have some problems with our team but we have just as big a problem with a dud coach.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 6:46 pm

stevetiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Yet all the sudden it the coaches fault
Happy - the coach has been disgraceful.

His comments regarding defence was obviously spin and basically everyone could see it. His game plans have been terrible.

He has had some positives. Picking Lawrence in the backrow was a good decision.

Overall though he has us going backwards with a bullet and its hard to figure out how that is possible but he has done it.

Yes we have some problems with our team but we have just as big a problem with a dud coach.
You pull 1 line from 9 lines

And you have the gall to call what Taylor says spin

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 6:56 pm

Eddie wrote:
stryker wrote:
I asked a few of Taylor's most rabid supporters a while back what made them think he would make a difference and got no answers...Happy? Russell?
Well you see they have fallen off the map because its looking ugly for them.
Im not a Taylor fanatic but have been patient with his methods. But you can't blame the coach for the inept performances in defence this team is showing. Most definitely he can be blamed for some of the players he is playing in FG that really aren't up to it - but who does he replace them with? This poorly managed club has decided to put all its eggs in the youth basket - and from what I can see it aint working. Maybe in a couple of years these guys will be FG standard but there certainly doesn't appear to be a host of future superstars that we were promised.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:04 pm

stevetiger wrote:
Eddie wrote:He bagged Sheens saying it was really ugly teams just pooring through the middle under a "hard sliding" defence. He bagged Potter saying it was an umbrella. All out up and in and people were all over the place out wide.

Many people agreed we were a poor defensive team. However to bag former coaches and he so bullish and cocky about it. Well it seems to be coming back to haunt him now. He said it was simple to fix and was really confident that with his tactics it would improve with a clear mix of the 2 defensive styles.
I cannot think of a worse coach that we have had. I'm including Terry Lamb and Alan Jones in this list.

Yea you have said that before( many times ) - Alan Jones was never a coach of WT - I couldn't be bothered picking you up before but your constant whine has finally got to me.

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”