How and why are we continually losing the ruck

alexaki

How and why are we continually losing the ruck

Unread post by alexaki » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 2:55 pm

barra wrote:There is a lot of mindset involved here. The team that turns up with the right attitude usually gets the upper hand in the ruck and the team that maintains the better attitude will usually keep the upper hand if they do the simple things right.

We showed the attitude and effort required against Souths, so it should be possible to show it again?

Coaching is a real mind game. The head coach has so many assistants that a large part of the job is player management and getting the best out of each individual to create a good team effort. The problem is our coach is a rookie coaching rookies. And I'm not sure he was any good at this psychology in the first place!

There has been very little confidence shown by the players all season. They mostly play like they are zombies, lacking initiative in either attack or defence around the ruck. Our 'controlled aggression' is more about playing within yourself than being aggressive. Other teams get deeper and run harder with the ball and have better line speed and hit harder in defence. It's not that hard. Yet at halftime yesterday the coach is calmly pointing out details on a white board.

I'd love to see the GPS player comparisons because I'm sure they clock up more k's off the ball than we do. We need to work a LOT harder. Yet we still struggle to get onside quickly, we struggle to chase kicks and we struggle to do the extra lateral metres required these days to stop holes appearing in the defensive line.

Basically we are a mess, and it stops with the head coach. A rookie coach that seems to be totally off track with this team.
These poor souls they need good man management to perform well.... The only motivation needed to perform well is to get a pay cheque at the end of the month.... It works for most of society why does it fail for these Prima donnas ?

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

barra
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 4:45 pm

happy tiger wrote:People are blaming Taylor for the amount of inexperienced players we have in a nutshell

They bombed two tries yesterday through simple errors Brooks saw Plum coming from the corner of his eye and dropped it cold when he catches and he scores under the post and Moses did the same in the 2nd half at a crucial stage

You can't coach experience into them

It will just happen , you can't push it no matter how hard you try
Well I'm not. I'm blaming him for the poor attitude, lack of enthusiasm and slow-motion actions.

It is far more than a few simple errors and I'm sure you know that.

edit - as you said mate, it seemed only a matter of time. They were much more dangerous with the ball and virtually held their own on the scoreboard with far less possession.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 6:20 pm

Just referring to the most recent game, I thought Penrith were much more willing to risk a penalty by having a second go in the ruck, crowding the pay the ball, and slowly peeling off.

I'm not saying this is a plan we should always follow, but if you can see the opposition are getting away with a slower play-the-ball, you have to join in.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 29 Jun, 2015 7:26 pm

Masterton wrote:Just referring to the most recent game, I thought Penrith were much more willing to risk a penalty by having a second go in the ruck, crowding the pay the ball, and slowly peeling off.

I'm not saying this is a plan we should always follow, but if you can see the opposition are getting away with a slower play-the-ball, you have to join in.
Sadly, Referees tend to allow the team dominating alot more leeway... I feel if we attempted this to get in the game, we would get whistled off the park.

After Robbie's halft-time crack at Badger, Badger wasnt interested in anything we had to say.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:02 am

Tiger Watto wrote: After Robbie's halft-time crack at Badger, Badger wasnt interested in anything we had to say.
My pet bug-bear. Players like Farah, Gallen, Wade Graham and Ennis should take note of Cameron Smith's captaincy. Yelling at the ref will not make him like you more.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 12:15 am

No they're not Happy.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 6:47 pm

magpiecol wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
barra wrote:There is a lot of mindset involved here. The team that turns up with the right attitude usually gets the upper hand in the ruck and the team that maintains the better attitude will usually keep the upper hand if they do the simple things right.

We showed the attitude and effort required against Souths, so it should be possible to show it again?

Coaching is a real mind game. The head coach has so many assistants that a large part of the job is player management and getting the best out of each individual to create a good team effort. The problem is our coach is a rookie coaching rookies. And I'm not sure he was any good at this psychology in the first place!

There has been very little confidence shown by the players all season. They mostly play like they are zombies, lacking initiative in either attack or defence around the ruck. Our 'controlled aggression' is more about playing within yourself than being aggressive. Other teams get deeper and run harder with the ball and have better line speed and hit harder in defence. It's not that hard. Yet at halftime yesterday the coach is calmly pointing out details on a white board.

I'd love to see the GPS player comparisons because I'm sure they clock up more k's off the ball than we do. We need to work a LOT harder. Yet we still struggle to get onside quickly, we struggle to chase kicks and we struggle to do the extra lateral metres required these days to stop holes appearing in the defensive line.

Basically we are a mess, and it stops with the head coach. A rookie coach that seems to be totally off track with this team.
So what you are saying is this Barra And this is using your own comments

We need to work a lot harder Is this the players or coaches fault ??

Struggle to get onside quickly Is this the players or coaches fault ??

Struggle to kick chase Is this the players or coaches fault ??

Struggle to move laterally Is this the players or coaches fault ??

I'm quite happy to blame Taylor for putting Lovett in the centres , real bad call in my opinion

But things are being made look far worse because we are losing the ruck and defensively we are on the back foot

Good post happy.

We have a number who would not hurt a wet paper bag. Mr. "give away penalties" Sue, runs hard to no effect. I do not think that I have seen him unload all year. Same with Ava. The less said about Lovett and Santi the better.

Then we have a 5/8 who should be in reserve grade. We have a half back that is so overrated it is not funny. We have a Captain who is really past it and is allowed to play injured. We have the best prop in the game (Woods) and the worst (Galloway). We have a second rower learning to play another position (Lawrence) and a veteran winger (Richards) who is also seen better days.

We have two centers ( Nofo and Simona) who, when they are not injured, should be wingers.

Rugby League games are won in the forwards. Always have been and always will be. So until we get a few more of the Tapau and Woods types we will struggle, no matter who may be our coach.

The answers for most of those questions could go either way
If Taylor is telling them to play the way we have been doing ( game plans, positioning etc)then it the Coaches Fault. If he's not telling them to d do the dumb things that are happening then it's the players fault for not carrying out the things that the Coach is coaching them to do.
But it is also the Coaches responsibility as they have been doing the same things in most games this year and HE keeps picking them.
Who cares who comes up from the lower trade, a lot of the current players and the Coach is making more of a laughing stock each week , if they aren't listening, drop em, or hit the road yourself

HMan

Unread post by HMan » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 9:56 am

while I agree we gave some players that should have retired by now of the likes of Haletau and Gallaway
Taylor isn't a rookie coach he has coached first grade (Souths)and been an assistant coach at a few clubs he's been coaching for close to 10 years
He is an average coach at best that's why he went from first grade to assistant and now back to first grade we should have considered giving the coaching job to Andrew Webster who went to the Warriors he had coached Moses and Brooks and Tedesco and he is a potential coach of the future he is doing very well with the Warriors right now as their assistant coach
Unless we were going to make a play for the likes of Bellamy or Bennett or a big name established first grade coach we should have looked at someone like Webster who could have potential we took Taylor on the recommendation of Brian Smith to Grant Mayer for smiths own agenda not in the clubs best interest and all we have done in doing this is replace Potter with Taylor and we are no better off

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”