There are always plenty of rumours going around. I was told that Idris may walk away from league altogether( contemplating going to another sport.)Tupou had been in talks with the tigers but looks to be staying at the roosters.king sirro wrote:The beauty of Idris is of he doesn't work out on the centre's he could still do a job as an edge backrower either starting or off the bench
There is a reason for that.benji#6 wrote:Ok maybe not idris but ryan morgan wouldnt cost us muchgreatodensraven wrote:I'd be happy with this:benji#6 wrote:I wouldnt bother with the signing of tupou but take a punt on idris and ryan morgan. Id prefer a backline looking like
Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Save our cash for signing a couple of solid forwards.
Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Tiger Torch wrote:O.K. guys its been awhile so here's the news from inside the bunker.
-Simona may play on Monday but its not only his ankle that's causing concern, its his general fitness & pace which has been the case since the pre-season. He is simply not making the second efforts at training as he hasn't got the fitness - carrying too much muscle bulk same as Tapau.
- Tapau has been challenged to play 30 minutes high intensity per half but he simply can't get those minutes which forces Woods to play more minutes than he should. Tapau is not happy at being forced to play longer minutes he sees his role as a starting impact player / enforcer!!! The jury is out on whether he will hang around beyond 2016.
- Seve is ready and may make his debut after bye. He is now the 2nd fastest in the club after Teddy. What may surprise some is that Simona has slipped to 5th behind Brooks & Martin. (this is for 50m - 100m sprints) Simona can still compete with these guys up to 50m, but has definitely lost pace. Seve has impressed with his defence as well as his attack and has a bit of mongrel in his play. His work rate though is still poor. Overall the club believes he is the long term centre solution - he was a left centre specialist but is now playing exclusively right centre preparing to partner Simona.
- Fine much like Lawrence is now considered primarily a 2nd rower and is still finding his feet after coming back from injury. Fletcher thinks he's good to go, Taylor not convinced.
- Noffa is still 4 weeks away and much like Simona is causing concern with his dramatic loss of pace.
_ Hoeter & Malone (club favourite - not mine) are both in the top 25 contracted players so will always be looked at first. Taylor was involved in selecting his top 25 so there's no hiding from the fact that his assessments are poor as there are at least 5 (including these 2) of this top 25 not worthy of this ranking. This is a core problem for those of you like me that watch every game in every grade - our top 25 is in fact not our top 25 based on performance.
- The club is well and truly under the cap with further savings to come at end of year - problem is there isn't much actual petty cash left to get near spending the cap. Pauli Pauli & Daniel Tupou are still in discussions as is Idris with a $250k 1 year subsidy from Penrith. Whilst I was lead to believe we would have $1million + to spend in 2016 I'm now told all we can actually afford is closer to $700k - which will put us approx. $500k below 2016 cap.
- Bailey Sironen & Matthew Woods are seen as the next wave of backrow talent.
- Funaki; Akoula have both failed this year to impress Fletcher and in turn Taylor; Liolave has been told to lift his defence workrate to match Lovett's / Santis before he will be given another shot in 1st grade.
_ Taylor will remain until at least round 13 2016! But there are triggers beyond that!!! He can of course walk away anytime he wants without any penalty.
O.k. that's what I've been told but for what its worth my opinions are as follows:
If the reported selected team actually plays??? we will get belted by 20+ and definitely get the spoon. This is a very poor side: Sevi & Fine should both play this week even if Simona is fit.
I would let all off contract players go with the exception of Ava; Martin & Lovett.
I would sign Tupou (close personal friend of Rod Reddy) for $300k - asking $350k.
Likewise I would take the risk on Idris @ $300k + Penrith $250k 1 yr subsidy / with further 1 year option at full price $550k. ( I don't think we can swing this deal)
I would sign Pauli Pauli @ $250k p.a. over 2 years - still looks promising perhaps announced after Monday's game.
I would increase Tapou in line with Brooks & Moses which I'm told next year could be $400k +
All future hopes to become a consistent and legitimate title contender rest with the resolution of the Balmain Leagues club saga and pretty much rely on one man Harry T!
Hmmmmm. Interesting read.
Bingo....king sirro wrote:lodgeTiger Torch wrote:King Sirro - not Santi he is a perfect fit for NSW Cup, that's where he belongs an honest hard working plodder. Think really aggressive and someone not afraid to stand up to a previous really really good coach! That's it I'm sure you've got it now.
Fascinating...Do tell us more..Tiger Torch wrote:Tiger Watto as 'Big Ears' would say OHHHHH Noddddddy!
That's the real reason he signed on. He's got Foxtel and a gig on the side, with the possibility of something down the track.
You got it but does he ? Methinks not.
But it would initially only be in a caretaker capacity and by then the poisoned chalice could become pass the parcel.
My final word for the next month or so would be to hang in there, EVERYTHING will be crystal clear by the end of 2016 if not before - this 'transitional treading water' year shouldn't give anyone an excuse to sell us fans short but there are several agendas at play behind the scenes.
I emphasise none of these should give Taylor a get out of jail free card. If we were to finish worse off than last year there is still no contractual trigger to sack him in 2015 but perhaps his professional pride and loss of face would force him to do the right thing.
I find myself thinking why come 9th and not 16th as that may only serve to disguise the flaws in our structure/s, but even so I still don't want the spoon. Thankfully I haven't sunk that low that I want the team / fans to suffer to punish and humiliate the coach who's major flaw is not being able to identify individual talent with individual strengths and weaknesses. He can't coach at the individual level- the individual must be subjugated and moulded to fit in with his lamentably one dimensional structure/s
Robbie Farah does have significant non football skills off the field which may come in handy in 2017??!
And at the risk of being called a tease there I must leave it until next time.
If Cleary ( or Gould) can't motivate Idris, JT has no chance of getting the best out of him. No to Idris.benji#6 wrote:I wouldnt bother with the signing of tupou but take a punt on idris and ryan morgan. Id prefer a backline looking like
Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Isn't Idris a national junior champion at either shot putt or discus ??iofthetigers wrote:There are always plenty of rumours going around. I was told that Idris may walk away from league altogether( contemplating going to another sport.)Tupou had been in talks with the tigers but looks to be staying at the roosters.king sirro wrote:The beauty of Idris is of he doesn't work out on the centre's he could still do a job as an edge backrower either starting or off the bench
I'm guessing the club thought they would be further along in their developmenthybrid_tiger wrote:Very interesting read, thanks TT.
I can't believe Brooks and Moses could potentially be earning 400K plus next season. That is absolutely ridiculous.
Pretty sure it was Discus or Javelin, even got the chance to compete against him at Discus, before he had grown up and lost the puppy fat.happy tiger wrote:Isn't Idris a national junior champion at either shot putt or discus ??iofthetigers wrote:There are always plenty of rumours going around. I was told that Idris may walk away from league altogether( contemplating going to another sport.)Tupou had been in talks with the tigers but looks to be staying at the roosters.king sirro wrote:The beauty of Idris is of he doesn't work out on the centre's he could still do a job as an edge backrower either starting or off the bench