I reckon Wally nailed it

Goose

I reckon Wally nailed it

Post by Goose » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 8:32 pm

I reckon Wally Lewis was spot on when he said most of what we do looks really good and then we let ourselves down with a really bad mistake in both attack and defense, usually on our right edge.
That was certainly the case today we'd role up the field nicely, ask a few questions at times , put in a good defensive set, then undo all the work by giving away a silly penalty or miss an easy tackle and put ourselves under the pump.

Part of that is being a young side, but we need to fix it, if we can, we might have a decent side.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 8:36 pm

Yeah I agree Wally actually made sense today...

Fixing it though will require patience...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 8:40 pm

Well either we have to let these guys make mistakes until they mature enough to be able to remain focused and not shirk contact, or we have to put other players in their spots. I'd rather be winning sooner.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 9:00 pm

Goose wrote:I reckon Wally Lewis was spot on when he said most of what we do looks really good and then we let ourselves down with a really bad mistake in both attack and defense, usually on our right edge.
That was certainly the case today we'd role up the field nicely, ask a few questions at times , put in a good defensive set, then undo all the work by giving away a silly penalty or miss an easy tackle and put ourselves under the pump.

Part of that is being a young side, but we need to fix it, if we can, we might have a decent side.
Couldn't hear the commentary due to too many whiskys! But my read on it was Similiar. We switch off in a shocking way for literally a few seconds, ala the Broncs first try and bang, we pay the price. It happens several times a week, and ultimately it is decision making that is limiting our potential.

smithy

Post by smithy » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 9:11 pm

when Lovett gave away that stupid penalty in the first half when we had them near their line and they then scored soon after,this cost us dearly and I think they scored again from their next set.the momentum changed from that dumb penalty.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 9:17 pm

Wally made alot of sense today....why is it the more I hear Rabbits the sooner I wish he would hang up his mic!...

guyofthetiger

Post by guyofthetiger » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:09 pm

I agree.

The question remains though whether our senior players are capable of not making those stupid errors/dumb penalties.

The young guys can be excused for lack of experience for the time being.

I thought it also telling when Wally noted after Simona's injury stopped play that we were about to make a set play and then there was zilch.

If only we could somehow insert the odd Sheens set play into what's going on now.

Every dreary scrum play is the same Simona hit up.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Crush, kill and destroy!
Said that golden Android!
Pineapples from the Dawn of Time

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:26 pm

The difference between 1st and 16th is about 20% extra execution.

For 30-odd minutes we matched and truly worried / tested Broncos. For the other 50 we were comprehensively outplayed. The difference was the # and timing of penalties, the poor finishes / decisions at the try line, the crucial missed tackles.

Broncos charged into our 20 and then waltz over for tries. They chanced their hands and momentum got them some fancy tries.

Tigers worked into their 20, generally failed to finish well, then let the Broncos back downfield with missed tackles and penalties.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:28 pm

smithy wrote:when Lovett gave away that stupid penalty in the first half when we had them near their line and they then scored soon after,this cost us dearly and I think they scored again from their next set.the momentum changed from that dumb penalty.
Lovett gives away stupid penalties, in every game he plays in Smithy. :x

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:30 pm

alexaki wrote:Wally made alot of sense today....why is it the more I hear Rabbits the sooner I wish he would hang up his mic!...
Me too. He was bad again tonight Alexaki wasn't he.. :|

krayola

Post by krayola » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:56 pm

Two or three solid, more experienced first-grade players would make a huge difference to our side.

And as for Rabbs, his inability to pronounce Polynesian and Islander names (such as Ava) and shrug it off like they're too hard to say is so, so unwelcome in 2015. Just waiting for a player to call him out in the media about it.
One of my sources is Pascoe

lathami

Post by lathami » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:42 am

Yes, look our defence was total rubbish!
But we still get screwed be the refs, those penalties were soft hardly holding on to players.
And the commentary is so baise, when they scored the first try and hunt was tackled the commentators mentioned it once and never looked at it again! When we scored off a forward pass they talked about it endlessly, over and over again! This happens every game!
After this I turned the volume down....
As I said before our defence was terrible, but the refs soft penalties and the commentators inability to be neutral astounds me...

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 8:46 am

Phil Gould also said Brooks & Moses both look like they wanna play #7
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:34 am

Gus saying that 2 kids who've played most of their lives together don't know how to play together is a bit odd. They've always complemented each other well in the junior grades, it's just getting that balance right in the seniors..

But Wally was right, we keep killing ourselves with basic errors - really bad missed tackles, stupid penalties, basic knock ons etc

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:28 pm

One incident yesterday typifies the team for mine.

To end one of our sets Brooks puts up a midfield bomb from the 40 metre line ala Taylorball. It is caught around 25 metres out from Broncos line by Boyd. Our defenders hold him down and give a penalty away. Broncos kick for touch and start their set inside our half and by the end of it are 6 points richer.

Just terrible, non first grade standard stuff...very poor 6th tackle option + ill disciplined penalty + attrocious goal line defence = converted try. Very simple equation that all teams know of. When playing us you focus on your defence. The attack takes care of itself, we'll provide many opportunities.

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 5:53 pm

I think i can only recall one error coming from those mid field bombs all season,why the WT dont kick to corners or where the opposition isn't defies belief,to continually revert to a tactic that is a complete failure really sums up the mess the WT are in.