What point of unshackling attack if you let in 42?

jirskyr

What point of unshackling attack if you let in 42?

Post by jirskyr » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:17 pm

JT copped a lot of criticism for trying to dumb-down the attack and focus on defence a month ago and prior. Plenty of losses, most of them disappointing because we were in games but couldn't finish it. Only one or two floggings however.

Apparently today, team left off the leash to attack, and at times we were very threatening. They looked to be chancing their hand much more.

But what's the point of jagging 16 points, failing to finish off probably another 16, if you let in 42?

Did people really enjoy us racking up 16, getting within 10, and then letting Broncs add another 16 of their own?

People saw positives today, and their were some, but it showed me how far we still are behind the comp leaders when we can only stick with them for 30 minutes.

I'd probably rather lose 8-0 than watch us walk into the sheds 26-0 down.

Pokies

Post by Pokies » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:37 pm

So you would prefer we lose 20/30 - nil and never look like winning.
Or have a crack and try to win the game by scoring some points.
Most rugby league teams can both attack and defend, it's not like by doing one you neglect the other. This should not be beyond an nrl level team.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 11:42 pm

The train wreck already happened before today's game. He has dumbed his way to the spoon.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 12:09 am

The so-called 'unshackling' of our attack had little to do with the poor defence. Solid attacking play and strong defence are not mutually exclusive - far from it.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 5:23 am

jirskyr wrote:JT copped a lot of criticism for trying to dumb-down the attack and focus on defence a month ago and prior. Plenty of losses, most of them disappointing because we were in games but couldn't finish it. Only one or two floggings however.

Apparently today, team left off the leash to attack, and at times we were very threatening. They looked to be chancing their hand much more.

But what's the point of jagging 16 points, failing to finish off probably another 16, if you let in 42?

Did people really enjoy us racking up 16, getting within 10, and then letting Broncs add another 16 of their own?

People saw positives today, and their were some, but it showed me how far we still are behind the comp leaders when we can only stick with them for 30 minutes.

I'd probably rather lose 8-0 than watch us walk into the sheds 26-0 down.
Its a desperate PR attempt....I didnt expect much difference in the defence, was glad to see our playmakers allowed to be creative, its surprising the amount of times they went on their instincts yesterday, particulalrly Moses

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:31 am

sheer64 wrote:The train wreck already happened before today's game. He has dumbed his way to the spoon.
ricksen wrote:The so-called 'unshackling' of our attack had little to do with the poor defence. Solid attacking play and strong defence are not mutually exclusive - far from it.
You have to not buy JT's spin. Our defence hasn't improved and his structures consist of meaningless dribble that comes out of his mouth.

We need to play positive footy. Hit hard. Attack constructively. Control the footy. Have a go.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:55 am

to score 43?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:58 am

The problem with taylor is that he likes to defend when you have the ball as much as without it.What is worse is that he cant adjust his game plan to react to what is happening on the field cherrington yesterday is a perfect example.taylor reminds me of the dinosaur generals of WW1 who would rigidly stick to the same tactics despite them not working he is a very poor coach

cunno

Post by cunno » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:01 am

A challenge for the coach and staff work on both not defence to the detriment of attack

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:05 am

Clutching at straws.

Moses given a little more room and a chance at first receiver ball is not unshackling everything Taylor has had an of season and 19 rounds to try and install in the team.

We are carrying players who are good listeners and try hard to please the coach rather than just playing our best 17.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 9:55 am

If your referencing the Cowboys 8-0 game do you know how silly that is??

That was a QLD cup style Cowboys team that threw nothing at us. We didn't defend that well at all really. If it was the Cowboys with Thurston, Morgan, Scott and Tamou maybe you would have a point.

The defence was no better that day. It was no better against Nawcastle who bombed 3-4 tries out wide against us. They are an awful side and if we had thrown some attack at them we would have been a good chance of putting some points on them.

The defence was no better against Manly or no better against Penrith, the Titans or no better against The Raiders. All teams miles outside the top 8. We let in some really really soft tries in all those games. Today the quality of the opponents was much better hence we let in 42 instead of say 32 .Brisbane is the best team we have played in 3 months, simple as that, if you cant see that i would be surprised.

Unleashing the attack was simply giving Moses and Brooks some more freedom to play a bit of what they see. I think its a long bow to draw to say that was responsible for letting in 42 today. Rather it was a continuation of poor defence through out the season. Not better, not worse, just happened to be we played a team going 1st with a full strength line up away from home.

I think your really clutching at straws with this thread, in another desperate attempt to defend earlier performances against really poor sides (cows, knights, titans, penrith)

However it is an entirely predictable thread.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 1:26 pm

Re the Cowboys game, that was the worst game of football I have seen in forty years and our defense as Eddie said has been rubbish for 95% of the year. The gap between us and the top 8 teams is light years away and I am starting to think their is now a gap between 15 and 16 in terms of ability

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 1:49 pm

They arent mutually exclusive.

You can ask some questions in attack and still defend well

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:06 pm

To put it all in perspective,the WTs have always had a lethal attack,but that was when you had good attacking players,however our defense was always garbage and it will be until they learn how to tackle and tackle properly..

Rugby league has always been a game of attack and defense and when the teams get both right...they end up playing finals football ala Broncos......
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:11 pm

I don't want to bash the tigers players because it seems they are all having a go unlike Sandow but if you compare this years performances with a much healthier squad than last year when we were always down on troops there isn't much difference. At the moment we have conceded 383 points whereas last year it was 396 at the end of round 19. This year we have scored 309 points and last year it was 328 points at the end of round 19. JT saying that our structure is better and so is our defence is just a joke.
It is hard to stomach as we always want our juniors to be world beaters but they simply aren't. Scoring points gives the guys confidence and being such a young squad that is exactly what they need. Yes they got towled up by a far better side yesterday but it was encouraging to see them get on a bit of a roll. The Broncos are a star studded side and were always going to flog us with the side we were able to field. As much as I dislike JT I couldn't stand getting rid of another coach and having to pay them out. We need to stick with him and hope he gets some sort of mentor to come in and help out. Not saying Gus Gould but someone similar as he clearly needs help.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:33 pm

Eddie wrote:If your referencing the Cowboys 8-0 game do you know how silly that is??

That was a QLD cup style Cowboys team that threw nothing at us. We didn't defend that well at all really. If it was the Cowboys with Thurston, Morgan, Scott and Tamou maybe you would have a point.

The defence was no better that day. It was no better against Nawcastle who bombed 3-4 tries out wide against us. They are an awful side and if we had thrown some attack at them we would have been a good chance of putting some points on them.

The defence was no better against Manly or no better against Penrith, the Titans or no better against The Raiders. All teams miles outside the top 8. We let in some really really soft tries in all those games. Today the quality of the opponents was much better hence we let in 42 instead of say 32 .Brisbane is the best team we have played in 3 months, simple as that, if you cant see that i would be surprised.

Unleashing the attack was simply giving Moses and Brooks some more freedom to play a bit of what they see. I think its a long bow to draw to say that was responsible for letting in 42 today. Rather it was a continuation of poor defence through out the season. Not better, not worse, just happened to be we played a team going 1st with a full strength line up away from home.

I think your really clutching at straws with this thread, in another desperate attempt to defend earlier performances against really poor sides (cows, knights, titans, penrith)

However it is an entirely predictable thread.
I never said the attack was responsible for letting in 42 yesterday. And I don't think it is silly to compare this game to the Cowboys match. In fact I think it is a perfect comparison: contrasting and analysing two totally different types of losses.

Personally, I'd always rather an 8-0 loss than 42-16. I don't care who you are playing, there is no way 42 points conceded can be more positive than 8 points conceded.

42 points means it wasn't even close, the opposition could score at will, a point every 2 minutes. At least in the Cowboys game, as dour and ordinary as it was, we were in it until the 80th minute. Let other sides play the exciting games for TV, I want to win!

The point I am making is I've read a fair amount of "positives" taken from yesterday's game, people comforted that we troubled Broncos for 20 minutes. People comforted to see the young kids play with a bit more room and enterprise. Perhaps some people comforted that the loss wasn't by as big a margin as they expected; that we accounted for ourselves ok considering Broncos are first and we are last.

Bollocks. Everyone expected us to lose, we lost handsomely and it is extremely disappointing to be in that situation. That is the old Tigers: teams that were beaten before they even took the field.

It's almost like people are less upset than previous weeks, perhaps because they've well and truly given up on the season now, but more upset by our close losses than the flogging we endured yesterday.

People savaged JT because he tried to temper the attack whilst getting the defence right, supporters crying out over how boring a team we had become. Supporters leaping all over him for the "spin" he was producing: that until we get the defence right, no manner of attack is going to help us.

I saw yesterday's game as the old Tigers, absolutely no step in the right direction, chancing our hand and paper-thin defence. I saw exactly the kind of performance that achieves 3 finals in 15 years. And somehow some people prefer this to a dour 8-0 loss.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:41 pm

supercoach wrote:Re the Cowboys game, that was the worst game of football I have seen in forty years and our defense as Eddie said has been rubbish for 95% of the year. The gap between us and the top 8 teams is light years away and I am starting to think their is now a gap between 15 and 16 in terms of ability
Truly? Worse than these ones:

2014, Round 22: Cowboys 64 Tigers 6
2010, Round 10: Souths 50 Tigers 10
2008, Round 14: Parra 44 Tigers 6
2006, Round 22: Storm 46 Tigers 4
2001, Round 11: Parra 66 Tigers 12
2001, Round 18: Storm 64 Tigers 0
2000, Round 20: Broncos 56 Tigers 12

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:50 pm

8-0 = loss
42-16 = loss.

Same sh#t, different bucket...both games showcased our depicable defence and weak aptitudes. You are talking crap Jirskyr.