Thumbs up for Lawrence

jirskyr

Thumbs up for Lawrence

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 2:55 pm

Didn't see a thread, gonna make one.

Can I just give another shout-out to Chris Lawrence, played a terrific game yesterday in a side leaking points like a sieve.

I lost count of how many awesome 1-1 try-savers he pulled off, typified by the hit on Gillett. Then he was shuffled to centre to cover for Simona. Also put one of the Broncos forwards right on his arse, 1-1, don't remember exactly who.

Much maligned footballer who is improving his game weekly since being moved to second-row. People talking about offloading Lawrence and saving the cash, but he is one of the only guys improving each week. We are 20+ points worse off yesterday without him.

Tygr

Post by Tygr » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:11 pm

Agreed. He has been great since moving to the backrow. Its good to see him playing well because i like the guy and he has been a great clubman for so long. I just wish he had made the switch to backrow sooner, it should of happened years ago.

If he can keep playing well as he has been i'd love to see him stay here, just not on the current money hes on, it would have to be a revised much cheaper contract.
Last edited by Tygr on Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:17 pm

He was good, but had he have completed the tackle on Hunt after Brooks had slowed him down then the result of the match could have been quite different. I've no idea why Chris just watched Hunt get up off the ground and run away from him. Dive on him and he goes nowhere!!

Still our best backrower, no comptition though

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:19 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:He was good, but had he have completed the tackle on Hunt after Brooks had slowed him down then the result of the match could have been quite different. I've no idea why Chris just watched Hunt get up off the ground and run away from him. Dive on him and he goes nowhere!!

He dived on him, but he went over the top of him and slipped off.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:26 pm

jirskyr wrote:Didn't see a thread, gonna make one.

Can I just give another shout-out to Chris Lawrence, played a terrific game yesterday in a side leaking points like a sieve.

I lost count of how many awesome 1-1 try-savers he pulled off, typified by the hit on Gillett. Then he was shuffled to centre to cover for Simona. Also put one of the Broncos forwards right on his arse, 1-1, don't remember exactly who.

Much maligned footballer who is improving his game weekly since being moved to second-row. People talking about offloading Lawrence and saving the cash, but he is one of the only guys improving each week. We are 20+ points worse off yesterday without him.
I agree, he's one who is putting in each week, and getting better there,
I'm surprised didn't put Lovett in to centre .......only kidding :D

pacman

Post by pacman » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:29 pm

Just 1 thing he needs to work on since moving into the backrow (and maybe back in his center days also..) is every now and then he needs to mix it up a little bit by dummying to his outside man or creating a gap for his center. Every single run he is taking is tucking it under the armpits and into the defence without a second thought of passing at all. If he could develop a sneaky short ball/dummy to utilize every now and then , would make his running game a lot more dangerous. Otherwise has been sound since moving to backrow with work rate, defence and line running.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:35 pm

I think it is essential that we keep him, as for his wage for next season, maybe the club could negotiate a wage cut with Chris, the shortfall to be made up via TPA (Harry), dont know about the legality of this but might give us some money to spend and at the same time retain one of the few players who have improved this year

marzie

Post by marzie » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 5:31 pm

It's awesome to see him playing so well. Easily our best player since switching to the back row.

Jerry Seinfeld

Post by Jerry Seinfeld » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:03 pm

Been saying it for months. Chris would kill it in backrow and would become our Anthony Watmough ala Manly 2008.The good news is he is only going to get better aswell and with another injury free offseason under his belt he will come back an even better back rower next year.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm surprised that he has gone so well but I'm stoked that he has. Top guy and playing really well.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:41 pm

Been our best player over the last 8 weeks. I now hope he stays at the club long term.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:55 pm

Tygr wrote:Agreed. He has been great since moving to the backrow. Its good to see him playing well because i like the guy and he has been a great clubman for so long. I just wish he had made the switch to backrow sooner, it should of happened years ago.

If he can keep playing well as he has been i'd love to see him stay here, just not on the current money hes on, it would have to be a revised much cheaper contract.
He is on a big salary because of the back ended contract - why do people not get this?

Don't know the figures but an e.g. would be $650,000 for this year but the average over the contract would be something like $350,000. He wouldn't be expecting to get 650 in a new contract but he probably would expect to get 350. On the past month, he is worth it.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 7:58 pm

rex2ce wrote:I think it is essential that we keep him, as for his wage for next season, maybe the club could negotiate a wage cut with Chris, the shortfall to be made up via TPA (Harry), dont know about the legality of this but might give us some money to spend and at the same time retain one of the few players who have improved this year
Harry want s out Mate. He is not looking at putting more in.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 8:00 pm

Jerry Seinfeld wrote:

Been saying it for months. Chris would kill it in backrow and would become our Anthony Watmough ala Manly 2008.The good news is he is only going to get better aswell and with another injury free offseason under his belt he will come back an even better back rower next year.
Hey Jerry I think he is better than Watmough now and he's only learning. Wait till he gets those offloads going.

Tygr

Post by Tygr » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 8:22 pm

Russell wrote:He is on a big salary because of the back ended contract - why do people not get this?

Don't know the figures but an e.g. would be $650,000 for this year but the average over the contract would be something like $350,000. He wouldn't be expecting to get 650 in a new contract but he probably would expect to get 350. On the past month, he is worth it.
i know hes on a back ended contract. thats partly the reason we're in this mess. the money hes on (600+k) is absurd. if we were to resign him in would be 300k/yr and no ridiculous back ending.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 8:32 pm

Lawrence's last 3-4 games were better than what he offered as centre for the last 3 years. He is certainly better than Lovett, however, I would like to see Sue and Funaki as our 2nd rowers, as we need a few hard hitters.
However, I would offer him up to $250k if he continues to play like in the last games (if Tedesco is on $350k, Lawrence cannot be paid more than $250k).
There are quite a few better players than Lawrence this year, certainly Tedesco, Woods, Taupau and Seumanufagai offered much more.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:14 pm

MacDougall wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:He was good, but had he have completed the tackle on Hunt after Brooks had slowed him down then the result of the match could have been quite different. I've no idea why Chris just watched Hunt get up off the ground and run away from him. Dive on him and he goes nowhere!!

He dived on him, but he went over the top of him and slipped off.
I personally thought he may have affected the tackle there, Hunt was on the deck and Lawrence landed on him, was disappointed to see the refs call play on.

Then triple disappointed to see Hunt evade another few tackles on the left side.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:43 pm

Credit to Taylor here. He made the move that other coaches have been reluctant to. Lawrence has been excellent in the back row. Which is great because he was embarrassing at centre. Keep him for the last year of his contract and start getting some value out of him

Then you say Chris you owe us 2-3 more years good football and our offer is half the price of the previous. Take it or leave it.