Brooks

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Re: Brooks

Post by turnstyle » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 12:59 am

ive actually been pretty disappointed with brooks' season, and didnt think he did much tonight either. i hope he gets better.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:23 am

turnstyle wrote:ive actually been pretty disappointed with brooks' season, and didnt think he did much tonight either. i hope he gets better.
I like Brooks but we do need more from him. I think with a bit of space he will make plenty of busts because he is very quick but he needs to start doing that regularly.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:51 am

The trouble with Brooks is he was starting to come good as the dominant half who had most of the field to work in. Now we have given Moses more freedom Brooks has gone a little backwards.

This was always going to happen as attack has not been our focus. The team has been hammered with the defense structure, fair enough but while ever that is going on the attack suffers.

The attack will come together, most likely over the off season but when it does there will be a better balance between Brooks and Moses and they will each find their place.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:56 am

I'm starting to think that Gould was right. Which is weird since they came up in the halves together. I think both are Shaun Johnson types and they need a Townsend.

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jctiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 9:02 am

Magpie Ryan wrote:Yeah it wasn't his best game though he certainly did his job!
He took the line on a number of times but you gotta remember the storms middle D is solid as a rock,our points were obviously scored out wide.
He played safe (besides the dropped ball),
and let Moses do his thing,there slowly finding a balance between themselves.
Good game!
He did take the line on, but I worry he is a bit predictable. He looks like he plans ahead and does that play no matter what. He needs to run a the line more before putting on his step or putting the kick thru to put the defence in two minds. He gives the defence too much time to read his play and readjust to cope with it.
He does have a bag of tricks but just needs to know when and how to use them.

Liddy

Post by Liddy » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 9:06 am

I think it's up to JT to come up with a workable solution to what they both do and their role in the Team.

A "worker" type player and an "attacking" type player has always worked well in the halves.

You can't really have both type of players doing the same thing....

I think we have seen that Moses is a more attacking player than Brookes, so I would see Brookes'
role as more of a backseat to Moses.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 9:16 am

Still thinks he gets lost at times during games

Be interesting to get Robbie's opinion

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 9:30 am

Brooks is running a lot more, and that creates space for his outside men and it also creates doubt in the defence. Still a long way to go, but I think he will end up being the foil for Moses.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 9:32 am

happy tiger wrote:Still thinks he gets lost at times during games

Gee hard markers. His game tonight was perfect for what was needed. He didn't once overplay his hand, he rolled with the game and did his job. He ran when passes weren't on and took the hit. That in itself his a huge step forward.

Yeh he didn't set the world on fire tonight but he played the appropriate role for the game as it unfolded. I think that's a better sign than lighting the game up.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

haberfield tiger

Post by haberfield tiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 9:48 am

executed the game plan. kicked, passed, chased & tackled. ill take that every week thanks..

krayola

Post by krayola » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 9:56 am

Totally agree Sirro. I love that he ran when the pass wasn't on rather than throwing a hospital flat/forward ball that leads to a turnover.

He did that way too much in his rookie of the year debut season last year and earlier this year. Seems the game is gradually slowing down for him and he's working it out. Would love for him to become Moses' foil because we know that if need be, say, when Moses is injured, he can assume a more attacking role.
One of my sources is Pascoe

barra

Post by barra » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 10:08 am

I liked the way he took the line on tonight - even if it didn't come to anything. But it will start to get on other coach's raiders and be part of the big picture.

Outshone by Moses but both a work in progress and it was a step forward this game.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 10:09 am

Thought he played well last night, As someone said the perfect backup to Moses & remember he still is only 19 or 20. Will learn a lot in the next Year or so.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 10:12 am

supercoach wrote:Brooks is running a lot more, and that creates space for his outside men and it also creates doubt in the defence. Still a long way to go, but I think he will end up being the foil for Moses.
I think they can work together well. Let Moses be the dominant player and Brooks can play off him. I think if Brooks gets half a gap he can make a bust. He also has a good all round game. I just think Moses has the better overall game.

barra

Post by barra » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 10:23 am

stevetiger wrote:
supercoach wrote:Brooks is running a lot more, and that creates space for his outside men and it also creates doubt in the defence. Still a long way to go, but I think he will end up being the foil for Moses.
I think they can work together well. Let Moses be the dominant player and Brooks can play off him. I think if Brooks gets half a gap he can make a bust. He also has a good all round game. I just think Moses has the better overall game.
Agree with this Steve. There is probably some sorting out to do as to how they best play together in the same NRL team and it might not end up being how it used to be, or how we thought it would be.

I like the sound of Moses being a 'go-to' man with Brooks popping up when the opp least want him to!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 11:56 am

king sirro wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Still thinks he gets lost at times during games

Gee hard markers. His game tonight was perfect for what was needed. He didn't once overplay his hand, he rolled with the game and did his job. He ran when passes weren't on and took the hit. That in itself his a huge step forward.

Yeh he didn't set the world on fire tonight but he played the appropriate role for the game as it unfolded. I think that's a better sign than lighting the game up.
I think you've missed my point KS

Robbie is still kicking a lot close to the line which makes me think that either he's not happy with what Brooks is calling or Brooks is making no call at all

I think Brooks and for that matter Tedesco have better short kicking games than Robbie

Robbie can get some absolutely perfect , but more often than not they lack a class touch or even players don't know its on

I watched him pretty closely at times during the Broncos game and he just seems to lack the yap yap that I'd expect

Wonder what Watto thinks , he's a pretty good judge

littletiger

Post by littletiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 12:25 pm

Look at the end of the day the game plan didn't suite brooks tonight. The game plan was to go Korro side by using Moses and tedesco which they did really well. Brooks made a run here and there to keep em guessing and kicked really well. His ball handeling wasn't the best on one play so it's not worth going on a tangent on how bad a tong bloke learning his trade is going. Relax

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 1:01 pm

jctiger wrote:
Magpie Ryan wrote:Yeah it wasn't his best game though he certainly did his job!
He took the line on a number of times but you gotta remember the storms middle D is solid as a rock,our points were obviously scored out wide.
He played safe (besides the dropped ball),
and let Moses do his thing,there slowly finding a balance between themselves.
Good game!
He did take the line on, but I worry he is a bit predictable. He looks like he plans ahead and does that play no matter what. He needs to run a the line more before putting on his step or putting the kick thru to put the defence in two minds. He gives the defence too much time to read his play and readjust to cope with it.
He does have a bag of tricks but just needs to know when and how to use them.
Think your right JCT - I felt he tried to put the move on too far away from the line, rather than running closer to the line - doing what he did - did not commit the defence, so they knew what he was going to do, before he did. He has the right idea and he is good when he runs to the line - he just needs to see them commit and then put on the move (sidestep, chip, kick through or inside/outside ball, short/long pass), he will then start to find that he gets a better result.

Moses has always been a better playmaker ( this was through their junior years as well) but I think they complement each other because in a way they have different skills.

If you have Moses, Brooks, Teddy and Robbie/Cherro all making plays at different times with all different styles it will cause havoc.

What we need in the next stage is these guys backing up each other and backing up the off loading forwards Siro / Rowdy / woods etc. to get that second phase play happening and we will be looking a lot more dangerous.

Still have to keep up a solid defence of course.