Well done Mitch

stevetiger

Re: Well done Mitch

Post by stevetiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:19 am

larrycorowa wrote:He is going to be so much better with a full pre season under Taylor. All the building blocks and talent are there, just need to get him physically prepared. He will be pretty handy next year running at tired forwards with changes to interchange and less dead ball time.
I think Taylor is starting to base our play around Moses. He is much more involved and Brooks seems to be taking a backward step. I think that is the right decision.

I like Brooks as well. They both seem to be competitors.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:21 am

sunshine coast tiger wrote:Watching the game live it was noticeable that both halves run more last night. For mine Mitch has a bit of x-factor about his game. He has always had the ability it is just with more games in the NRL he is getting more confident. Tedesco almost plays as a third half some times and the combinations the three are forming can only lead to very good things in the future.

This.

What I loved most about both halves running more tonight is the reason for it. They ran when the pass wasn't on and took the hit. That's what they haven't been doing and its what all great halves do. Thurston gets battered cos he takes the hit when needed. A few times tonight Brooks ran and there was nothing on for him but he ran cos his outside men were not in a good position to pass too. This is a huge thing IMO and changes our game.

I've loved Moses all year. He had a shocker against the Roosters but besides that he's been a shining light. Love his toughness.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:29 am

stryker wrote:I am one of this blokes biggest supporters. I really like his approach to his football. Season 2015 has not been kind to him but he has shown glimpses of his potential in almost every game.

You could really see his frustration mid season as he was shackled and struggled to contain his free wheeling spirit. To his credit, JT has obviously released the reigns recently and this guy's attacking brilliance is being uncovered each week. He pops up everywhere all over the field either in support or demanding the ball. He does everything at speed and throws a beautiful pass. His running game is also electric. It doesn't always come off for him i.e. last week but tonight he was only beaten for MOM for mine by a guy who almost played perfect Rugby League.

Well done Mitch. Looking forward to witnessing your continued evolution.
I agree Stryker, since Taylor has given him more freedom he is really coming into his own. Was difficult to watch him struggle earlier in the season. The look on his face at the Cowboys game was one of frustration.

Some talk about Woods as a future captain, i hope not. Moses for me.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:32 am

I was about to start a thread that would have been just about verbatim to that of the OP, before coming across this as he echoed my thoughts exactly. A bit of a worry as I often feel there is a certain arrogance behind that keyboard.

Credit to both Mitch and the coach for finding the middle ground that has been emerging for a couple of months, despite WT not winning. The boy has the goods and will continue to develop.

Time for his knockers, one Gold Coast resident in particular to back off, even just a little ;) :)

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:38 am

Mitch certainly played well tonight.

We'd seen glimpses of what he could do, but tonight he turned it on in both attack and defence.

In defence, they had their big forwards running at him all night and he came up with some tackles that if he'd missed, they would have gone close to scoring a try. According to NRL.com, his stats were 18 tackles and 2 missed tackles. Great effort against Melbourne especially.

In attack, he looked dangerous with the ball, but he was brilliant at creating opportunities for his outside men, especially Tedesco.

His long kicking game was brilliant as well. A very impressive performance all round.

He looks like he's going to kick on nicely.

Liddy

Post by Liddy » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:38 am

I have to admit that I haven't been his best advocate, but credit to him last night.

His defence was very good and some nice touches with the ball.....

He played very well last night.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:42 am

king sirro wrote:I've loved Moses all year. He had a shocker against the Roosters but besides that he's been a shining light. Love his toughness.
Exactly. I love the way he competes. You can see he wants to win. That game against the Roosters though was terrible.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 10:04 am

At present he is a Benji,rocks and diamonds, but I would imagine by the end of next year we should be seeing a lot more diamonds than rocks. Also has to be noted that for a six to dominate the forwards have to be doing their job

barra

Post by barra » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 10:43 am

stryker wrote:I am one of this blokes biggest supporters. I really like his approach to his football. Season 2015 has not been kind to him but he has shown glimpses of his potential in almost every game.

You could really see his frustration mid season as he was shackled and struggled to contain his free wheeling spirit. To his credit, JT has obviously released the reigns recently and this guy's attacking brilliance is being uncovered each week. He pops up everywhere all over the field either in support or demanding the ball. He does everything at speed and throws a beautiful pass. His running game is also electric. It doesn't always come off for him i.e. last week but tonight he was only beaten for MOM for mine by a guy who almost played perfect Rugby League.

Well done Mitch. Looking forward to witnessing your continued evolution.
He is still riding the rookie rollercoaster and I've been critical of him, but yeah Stryker, you're right.

Also the other comments about attitude and enthusiasm, qualities that are often missing in our personnel and desperately needed!

My pondering asks is it getting better or being given licence to play his way?

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 11:45 am

Well it is nice to see all the knockers being put in their place.

Hopefully I won't have to keep defending him against half the Forum.
We know he is young, lacks experience, lacks a forward pack that goes forward EVERY week and a few good players around him that can take advantage of his talent.

When it comes together ( even in a few games last year), surely even the blind can see the brilliance of this kid and how he is shining brighter with every game he plays.

I'll say it one more time - this kid is the best prospect I have ever seen in 65 years of following the Tigers and the Wests Tigers.

The difference between Moses and Benji is that Mitchell is a team player.

Good to have a few more on board as Moses will part the opposition defence for his team mates in the coming years.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 11:47 am

Ah but of course he's only picked because Benny is his uncle. Has nothing to do with him being an exceptional talent.

Milky

Post by Milky » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 11:49 am

Moses is a gun, he did everything required last night. Glad we have Brooks, Moses and Tedesco.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 1:25 pm

Love his 'win at all costs' attitude and how he is a pest off the ball.

That and his natural ability are the makings of a very smart & exciting NRL career.

I just want to mention Luke. He did his job last night and played a big role in Mitchells game.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:06 pm

Russell wrote:Well it is nice to see all the knockers being put in their place.

Hopefully I won't have to keep defending him against half the Forum.
We know he is young, lacks experience, lacks a forward pack that goes forward EVERY week and a few good players around him that can take advantage of his talent.

When it comes together ( even in a few games last year), surely even the blind can see the brilliance of this kid and how he is shining brighter with every game he plays.

I'll say it one more time - this kid is the best prospect I have ever seen in 65 years of following the Tigers and the Wests Tigers.

The difference between Moses and Benji is that Mitchell is a team player.

Good to have a few more on board as Moses will part the opposition defence for his team mates in the coming years.
The knockers were frustrated that a player with obvious talent and potential was struggling to turn in performances any higher than average. This had more to do with the coaching staff then him. Inevitably the questions had to be asked why a talented bloke who was among our best last year was released for a gun shy rookie. It was a fair question at the time and I'd still suggest had Austin been retained to fulfill his contract, Moses would have benefitted. That being said, I have always felt he had the right stuff.

Not much point in a "told you so post" Russell...Mitchel's past month has drawn the praise deserved just as his earlier performances drew the appropriate criticism. Most criticism I've read about him has been more aimed at the club for blooding him too early when we already had a great 5/8. The player personally has drawn only limited bagging as we could all see he was having a go and if allowed, had a great footballer inside him.

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:11 pm

The best is yet to come. Last night was a glimpse why he should be out halfback. He is just composed and controls the game.

What impressed me the most last night was his try saver on a guy twice the size of him.

Brooks is lost ATM but will also come good.

He is our future and prefer him with us than against us.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:12 pm

Main thing is he is signed to the Wests Tigers and we have many more games ahead for us to take delight in.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:13 pm

It was never going to help him and Brooks having to play alongside each from the get go, but it is what it is. He's always looked like a very instinctive player. The signs are there so there's no reason why can't continue to improve.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:35 pm

formerguest wrote:I was about to start a thread that would have been just about verbatim to that of the OP, before coming across this as he echoed my thoughts exactly. A bit of a worry as I often feel there is a certain arrogance behind that keyboard.

Credit to both Mitch and the coach for finding the middle ground that has been emerging for a couple of months, despite WT not winning. The boy has the goods and will continue to develop.

Time for his knockers, one Gold Coast resident in particular to back off, even just a little ;) :)
Mitch has already been given credit by a lot of people including myself , who have had doubts about him .
I hope there many games like last nights to come ,as both Mitch ,
and most of the team went well, particularly Tedesco, Now it's how they back that performance up , that is as important as last nights game, if not more.
We have one person already jumping on the "eggs on the faces" band wagon, just like a few of them did after the Souths Game, it didn't last long .
I've said in most posts that I hope that he does get better, as it would mean we have a better team.
I'll continue to give him credit where it's warranted, but one game is one game and our history of playing well for one game then dropping back to near oblivion is too well known to get over excited.
I hope the team can continue to attack like last night, but we still have to stop letting soft tries in ,