Brutal Reality - We lack talent

Wests Tigers Discussion
Masterton

Re: Brutal Reality - We lack talent

Post by Masterton » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:44 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:49 pm
So at what point do the knives come out for Cleary? As Geo said, he assembled this team with an entire salary cap at his disposal.
0/3 and membership cards will be destroyed.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:49 pm

Im just hoping the Roosters have a very bad day next week, and Teddy has one of those off days that players often have when facing a club they left for the first time.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:00 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:07 pm
GNR I write previews for The Roar.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/23/we ... rediction/

I had the Tigers pencilled in for 15th in an article posted Friday.

So happy to be accused of having no idea and being wrong but not a Monday Morning quarterback in this case.

Anyway I desperately hope I am wrong.
Well now you tell us - explains all your posts then.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:00 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:45 pm
You guys are so encouraging
Hope off at the next bus stop please
WE could always just pull the blinds down and close our eyes , like we've done on a lot of occasions before,
That worked!!!!

Well have a better idea of where we are going in about 6 weeks, And I hope some of these new buys have come good by then.
IT scares me a bit if they dont, as in some cases, they have fairly big contracts over quite a few years. which could prove to be a problem.
If they fail here you wouldnt think other clubs be lining up to take them off our hands.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:07 pm

Swordy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:21 pm
I think there is a real chance that we might surprise a few. Im keen to see how its all working part way through the year. Its a tough first 6 weeks, the toughest of any team. Ill be interested to see how they deal with adversity and disappointment.

If anyone here doesnt think we are in a better position than we have been for the past few years, then id be surprised.

I dont subscribe to the 15th or 16th finishing position. Whilst we dont have the marquee player or two who will really demand attention, i do think there is enough to make a strong team who work hard and toil together. We have the best coach and management than we have had for years. We have the strong ashfield club behind us and even though im an ex balmain fan, that side of the venture has no right at the moment to destabilise or cause concern, therefore for the first time in many years, or direction is beginning to be forward from everyone.

I actually see strong results if we can stick to the plan. Final 8, just, in my opinion is a real chance.

Too many people calling the end already in my opinion. They may be proven right, but if they are, its because they guessed more than knew......if that makes sense.
Apart from signing Ivan, ( which they were forced into finding a new Coach and there wasnt a lot to choose from)( we probably got the best available) .what makes you think that our management is any better, than any of the basketcases that we've had previously.

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:30 am

TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:59 pm
Eddie,have you been asked to audition for a new horror movie...they tell me it was for the part of the GRIMREAPER...

be cool brother,we have 26 rounds before we start buying rope from Bunnings....
Don't buy rope from Bunnings, it's rubbish.

Source: rigger by trade.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 2:31 am

Its not all gloom and doom fella's- season starts this week and who knows. Yes, we dont have any superstars but we have a solid side. Somebody has mentioned we cant score points and I dont agree- in the forwards we have Aloiai and Eisenhuth as good running backrowers capable of busting the line and scoring, and in the backs we have Marshall (a former superstar), Nofoaluma, Marsters, Milne and Lolohea- all capable of scoring good points for us.

Its the matter of trying to fit them in.

Marshall is a problem where to place him but he sure can still bust a line and set up players. Also a good goal kicker. Brooks will be the key- either he fires soon (I mean real soon) and can direct and lead the team around the field or he is relegated. Or with the injury to Liddle still to be resolved to we take the best of worst options to move Reynolds to hooker to make a spot for Benji as five-eighth- his natural position. Question is really what position to you strengthen and what position to you weaken? Hooker, halfback, five-eighth? No easy choices there.

I think Lolohea has to be fullback with Thompson and Nofoaluma on the wings.

Roll on 2018 season and good fortune to the team with a lot more of those close calls falling our way this year I hope.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 6:02 am

Eddie wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:54 pm
Swordy wrote:

They may be proven right, but if they are, its because they guessed more than knew......if that makes sense.
But if your right you knew and didn't guess?

Right..
Nope. Just guessing like everyone else.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 6:56 am

Telltails wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:49 pm
Im just hoping the Roosters have a very bad day next week, and Teddy has one of those off days that players often have when facing a club they left for the first time.
Teddy's gonna get hit by a bus.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 7:00 am

Goal kicker = points. For the close to fall our way, we need 6 point, not 4 point, tries.
"Quality Stupidity"

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 7:14 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 7:00 am
Goal kicker = points. For the close to fall our way, we need 6 point, not 4 point, tries.
Cart horse..need to score TRIES before taking shots at goal..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 7:27 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:07 pm
Swordy wrote:
I think there is a real chance that we might surprise a few. Im keen to see how its all working part way through the year. Its a tough first 6 weeks, the toughest of any team. Ill be interested to see how they deal with adversity and disappointment.

If anyone here doesnt think we are in a better position than we have been for the past few years, then id be surprised.

I dont subscribe to the 15th or 16th finishing position. Whilst we dont have the marquee player or two who will really demand attention, i do think there is enough to make a strong team who work hard and toil together. We have the best coach and management than we have had for years. We have the strong ashfield club behind us and even though im an ex balmain fan, that side of the venture has no right at the moment to destabilise or cause concern, therefore for the first time in many years, or direction is beginning to be forward from everyone.

I actually see strong results if we can stick to the plan. Final 8, just, in my opinion is a real chance.

Too many people calling the end already in my opinion. They may be proven right, but if they are, its because they guessed more than knew......if that makes sense.
Apart from signing Ivan, ( which they were forced into finding a new Coach and there wasnt a lot to choose from)( we probably got the best available) .what makes you think that our management is any better, than any of the basketcases that we've had previously.
Not having to shed players prior to the season to meet the cap would seem a good start point for comparison.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:01 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 6:56 am
Telltails wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:49 pm
Teddy's gonna get hit by a bus.
The sooner we lose the bus references the better NT, but I reckon you are right about Teddy copping some extra attention.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:11 am

I would not say we lack talent, but we are short on speed and real class, and sadly it’s the class players who more often and not make the difference. Moylan was in another class to anyone we had and most teams have a go to player or two.

So for us to be competitive, it will have to be all about team work and that will take a long time with so many new recruits. Like Eddie I think we will finish bottom 4, but of course it is early days and every year there are teams that over achieve and teams that flop, but for a lot of The reasons Eddie highlighted Iam not confident we will be a team that over achieves. We do have Cleary, that’s our biggest asset and a hard pack of forwards, so it is not total gloom

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:31 am

supercoach wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:11 am
I would not say we lack talent, but we are short on speed and real class, and sadly it’s the class players who more often and not make the difference. Moylan was in another class to anyone we had and most teams have a go to player or two.

So for us to be competitive, it will have to be all about team work and that will take a long time with so many new recruits. Like Eddie I think we will finish bottom 4, but of course it is early days and every year there are teams that over achieve and teams that flop, but for a lot of The reasons Eddie highlighted Iam not confident we will be a team that over achieves. We do have Cleary, that’s our biggest asset and a hard pack of forwards, so it is not total gloom
Interesting you mentioned Moylan SC -much maligned by many, when there was a slight hope of us signing him. But until we are able to unearth, retain or sign players of that calibre - more of the same.
Not sure another poor season will make us any more attractive to these type of players. We have paid good money for this squad unlike other years where we had no money and recruited who ever we could on limited funds. This team just has to show some growth for our club to move forward.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:46 am

If I'm being honest with myself, I have concerns with our spine, which then gives me concerns where our points will come from.
Our forwards I'm not concerned about, I believe they can match it with most packs in the comp.
No more plodders!
:sign:

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:54 am

Telltails wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:31 am
supercoach wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:11 am

Interesting you mentioned Moylan SC -much maligned by many, when there was a slight hope of us signing him. But until we are able to unearth, retain or sign players of that calibre - more of the same.
Not sure another poor season will make us any more attractive to these type of players. We have paid good money for this squad unlike other years where we had no money and recruited who ever we could on limited funds. This team just has to show some growth for our club to move forward.
Although we signed a lot of players, did we actually beat another club for these players signature bar maybe the club they were at?? The likes of Moylan had a few clubs chasing him and we very very seldom win at a auction. That will only change when we earn some respect, and that will only happen when we start making the eight regularly.

Bee-Em

Post by Bee-Em » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 9:05 am

I know the Warriors are a basket case, but have a look at the 2017 spine they had...RTS - S. Johnson - K Foran - I.Luke... arguably the best spine in the comp. How did they go last year?

Maybe it's not always the cattle on the park, but the coaching behind it, and a will to win?

On a side note, one good thing about the 2 trials, there weren't any injuries (not to my knowledge anyway)