2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Re: 2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:09 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:29 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:46 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:59 pm
Telltails wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:51 pm


I guess if there was no drama our CEO wouldnt be actively trying to secure a new coach for next season.
While Pascoe says he wont release Cleary unless they can upgrade, he seems to be doing everything possible to make that happen. That spells out plenty to me i.e. - Ivan wants out, and so do we - so Im hoping Pascoe makes it happen asap.
This sums the situation up perfectly. Don't need a bloke here who's main focus from hereon in will be which players he needs to get to Penrith in order for his bubba to get a premiership ring. Hopefully Pascoe has more brains than people on here who are happy to let Ivan sink the WT ship over the next 2 years.
As opposed to the Bronco's who have arguably better coach they don't want who definitely has players re-considering their own positions at the club and yet the Broncs don't seem too concerned about all that sinking their ship.

As if a coach is going to go out of their way to "sink" a club they are currently at for starters as well as reduce their own win/loss rate and IC's isn't all that great to begin with.

The problem is this conspiracy theory that a coach of all people would sabotage the club he's currently at is ludicrous. Could he take players at the end of it all? Yes, that's at least plausible, but to do much else is a massive stretch.
I dont think its about sabotage, its about if he can continue to effectively do the job that he was brought in to do, and that was rebuild our club. If the CEO is actively looking to replace him with two years to go on his contract - the man most responsible for employing him - that suggests that he is questioning his ability to do so - as far as Im concerned.
Given, he was only here until the end of 2020 , I don't see how it changes much. His tenure at the club would still be up in the air next year unless things went extremely well on the field.

In so far as our CEO looking for replacement's, I just see it as there are 2 qualified coaches being available or close to available and as I said, the club is just being pro-active......which makes for a nice change. I don't see it that the club questions the coach's ability at all.


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41179
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:10 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:07 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:30 pm
cochise wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:16 pm

I agree 100%, our luck would be that we sign him and then he dies next year while we are waiting for him.
Our luck?
What about Bennets?
Maybe he wouldn’t just die!
Maybe he’d jumpoff a cliff in frustration at coaching us.
I bet a couple of our previous coaches thought about it at times.
Better off just signing Cliff

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29584
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:14 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:47 pm
TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:57 am
I see it like this.....

Ivan wants to coach his son sometime in the future.....

Nathan signs long term with Penrith for the next 5 years...

Ivan (if true) signs with Penrith from 2021....

Ivan states he will honour his contract to keep coaching WTs until 2020....
He then goes to Penrith to coach Nathan in 2021...

I cant see the drama that everybody is in hysterics about,Ivan will continue meeting his obligations under the terms of his contract and remain professional in doing so...

This is the NRL...these things happen....people get to emotional and wrapped up in speculation and inuendos...

If Ivan goes weather he is released or otherwise,I will keep paying my membership and following the WTs as I have since 2000,,, not a problem to me....
I agree with you True Tiger and I can't see why it couldn't work out this way either, but the fact that our club (not the fans) is actively pursuing another coach for next season and beyond means that the whole scenario is emotional and it seems that it has become untenable for Cleary to see out his contract here. It's not the just the constant media speculation and emotion shown by many of the supporters that we're hearing about, it's actually taking place for real at the club. Obviously, there is more to it than we may know.
Not fact yet spud....still speculation

User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:24 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:06 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:46 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:59 pm
Telltails wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:51 pm


I guess if there was no drama our CEO wouldnt be actively trying to secure a new coach for next season.
While Pascoe says he wont release Cleary unless they can upgrade, he seems to be doing everything possible to make that happen. That spells out plenty to me i.e. - Ivan wants out, and so do we - so Im hoping Pascoe makes it happen asap.
This sums the situation up perfectly. Don't need a bloke here who's main focus from hereon in will be which players he needs to get to Penrith in order for his bubba to get a premiership ring. Hopefully Pascoe has more brains than people on here who are happy to let Ivan sink the WT ship over the next 2 years.
As opposed to the Bronco's who have arguably better coach they don't want who definitely has players re-considering their own positions at the club and yet the Broncs don't seem too concerned about all that sinking their ship.

As if a coach is going to go out of their way to "sink" a club they are currently at for starters as well as reduce their own win/loss rate and IC's isn't all that great to begin with.

The problem is this conspiracy theory that a coach of all people would sabotage the club he's currently at is ludicrous. Could he take players at the end of it all? Yes, that's at least plausible, but to do much else is a massive stretch.
Because the Broncos wouldn't want to lose young, good players such as TPJ, Oates etc. If they sacked Bennett immediately they would be forced to pay him out and more importantly probably lose TPJ, Oates etc who may/may not have clauses in their contracts allowing them to leave if Bennett isn't the coach.

People that think it will all be roses if Ivan coaches WT in 2019 and 2020 are kidding themselves. Fans will be rabidly wanting Ivan's head on a stake after 3 or 4 losses, the innuendo will damage our club immeasurably also. Th media are going to be all over our club once the losses pile up without a doubt.
Just cannot see 1 single positive of having Cleary coach us anymore.
The Bronco's may not want to lose players, but their decision to not keep Bennett past next year has made a few question staying on at the club. At this stage of the game, none of that is happening here and I just can't see it happening here.

Some fans have tinfoil hats on too tight, but even if all this current merry-go-round wasn't in play, if we didn't make the finals next year, IC's head would be on the chopping block. If we had a losing streak like the middle period of this season, again fans would be calling for his head.

I, personally, don't care whether he's here or not, I just don't think the sky will fall down even if he does see out his 2 years. That scenario is probably the very least likely option anyway. If he stays I'd expect it to be only for next year then we get Bennett.

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2408
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:53 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:14 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:47 pm
TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:57 am
I see it like this.....

Ivan wants to coach his son sometime in the future.....

Nathan signs long term with Penrith for the next 5 years...

Ivan (if true) signs with Penrith from 2021....

Ivan states he will honour his contract to keep coaching WTs until 2020....
He then goes to Penrith to coach Nathan in 2021...

I cant see the drama that everybody is in hysterics about,Ivan will continue meeting his obligations under the terms of his contract and remain professional in doing so...

This is the NRL...these things happen....people get to emotional and wrapped up in speculation and inuendos...

If Ivan goes weather he is released or otherwise,I will keep paying my membership and following the WTs as I have since 2000,,, not a problem to me....
I agree with you True Tiger and I can't see why it couldn't work out this way either, but the fact that our club (not the fans) is actively pursuing another coach for next season and beyond means that the whole scenario is emotional and it seems that it has become untenable for Cleary to see out his contract here. It's not the just the constant media speculation and emotion shown by many of the supporters that we're hearing about, it's actually taking place for real at the club. Obviously, there is more to it than we may know.
Not fact yet spud....still speculation
So it's not true, only paper talk? I thought our CEO had indicated they were chasing Bennett & Maguire?


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29584
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:07 pm

I havent heard a thing from Pascoe on the coaching for months...must be just more speculation.
Happy to be correceted

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2408
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:13 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:07 pm
I havent heard a thing from Pascoe on the coaching for months...must be just more speculation.
Happy to be correceted
Nah you're probably right. It has been reported in the media as though someone from the club (Pascoe?) has actually stated it, but it may not even be true!

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6430
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:22 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:13 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:07 pm
I havent heard a thing from Pascoe on the coaching for months...must be just more speculation.
Happy to be correceted
Nah you're probably right. It has been reported in the media as though someone from the club (Pascoe?) has actually stated it, but it may not even be true!
Wasting your time mate, I can see it though :deadhorse:
Go hard or go home

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4115
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:02 pm

1st team off the coaching merry-go-round is Manly. DT reporting 3 year deal for Des Hasler.
No more plodders!
:sign:

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29660
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:03 pm

Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:09 pm
Telltails wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:29 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:46 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:59 pm


This sums the situation up perfectly. Don't need a bloke here who's main focus from hereon in will be which players he needs to get to Penrith in order for his bubba to get a premiership ring. Hopefully Pascoe has more brains than people on here who are happy to let Ivan sink the WT ship over the next 2 years.
As opposed to the Bronco's who have arguably better coach they don't want who definitely has players re-considering their own positions at the club and yet the Broncs don't seem too concerned about all that sinking their ship.

As if a coach is going to go out of their way to "sink" a club they are currently at for starters as well as reduce their own win/loss rate and IC's isn't all that great to begin with.

The problem is this conspiracy theory that a coach of all people would sabotage the club he's currently at is ludicrous. Could he take players at the end of it all? Yes, that's at least plausible, but to do much else is a massive stretch.
I dont think its about sabotage, its about if he can continue to effectively do the job that he was brought in to do, and that was rebuild our club. If the CEO is actively looking to replace him with two years to go on his contract - the man most responsible for employing him - that suggests that he is questioning his ability to do so - as far as Im concerned.
Given, he was only here until the end of 2020 , I don't see how it changes much. His tenure at the club would still be up in the air next year unless things went extremely well on the field.

In so far as our CEO looking for replacement's, I just see it as there are 2 qualified coaches being available or close to available and as I said, the club is just being pro-active......which makes for a nice change. I don't see it that the club questions the coach's ability at all.
Might question the commitment to the Club though..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22675
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:07 pm

WT2K wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:02 pm
1st team off the coaching merry-go-round is Manly. DT reporting 3 year deal for Des Hasler.
They’re not really apart of the merry go round. They’re an island to themselves. Who they appoint won’t have a domino affect on other clubs. The merry go round is us, Brisbane, Souths and Penrith.

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5550
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:10 pm

Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:24 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:06 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:46 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:59 pm


This sums the situation up perfectly. Don't need a bloke here who's main focus from hereon in will be which players he needs to get to Penrith in order for his bubba to get a premiership ring. Hopefully Pascoe has more brains than people on here who are happy to let Ivan sink the WT ship over the next 2 years.
As opposed to the Bronco's who have arguably better coach they don't want who definitely has players re-considering their own positions at the club and yet the Broncs don't seem too concerned about all that sinking their ship.

As if a coach is going to go out of their way to "sink" a club they are currently at for starters as well as reduce their own win/loss rate and IC's isn't all that great to begin with.

The problem is this conspiracy theory that a coach of all people would sabotage the club he's currently at is ludicrous. Could he take players at the end of it all? Yes, that's at least plausible, but to do much else is a massive stretch.
Because the Broncos wouldn't want to lose young, good players such as TPJ, Oates etc. If they sacked Bennett immediately they would be forced to pay him out and more importantly probably lose TPJ, Oates etc who may/may not have clauses in their contracts allowing them to leave if Bennett isn't the coach.

People that think it will all be roses if Ivan coaches WT in 2019 and 2020 are kidding themselves. Fans will be rabidly wanting Ivan's head on a stake after 3 or 4 losses, the innuendo will damage our club immeasurably also. Th media are going to be all over our club once the losses pile up without a doubt.
Just cannot see 1 single positive of having Cleary coach us anymore.
The Bronco's may not want to lose players, but their decision to not keep Bennett past next year has made a few question staying on at the club. At this stage of the game, none of that is happening here and I just can't see it happening here.

Some fans have tinfoil hats on too tight, but even if all this current merry-go-round wasn't in play, if we didn't make the finals next year, IC's head would be on the chopping block. If we had a losing streak like the middle period of this season, again fans would be calling for his head.

I, personally, don't care whether he's here or not, I just don't think the sky will fall down even if he does see out his 2 years. That scenario is probably the very least likely option anyway. If he stays I'd expect it to be only for next year then we get Bennett.
Personally i hope he isnt here, can't see anything positive coming out of that undesireable situation.
However if he coaches us for the next 1 or 2 seasons i will still support the club 100% and hope that we are successful, there would be no death-riding Cleary because obviously there would be no joy in watching our club struggle, there has been enough of that over the years.
If he is our coach you would just hope he would be as professional as possible. Got my doubts about the bloke though after his discussions with the Panthers on the quiet and then his pathetic reading of a statement to supposedly claim to be committed to seeing out his contract.....normally people who need written statements are BS artists.
Whatever eventuates, up the Tigers! This situation is none of the club's doing for a change.

User avatar
TheDaBoss
Member
Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:43 am
Location: C'Town

Post by TheDaBoss » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:14 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:07 pm
WT2K wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:02 pm
1st team off the coaching merry-go-round is Manly. DT reporting 3 year deal for Des Hasler.
They’re not really apart of the merry go round. They’re an island to themselves. Who they appoint won’t have a domino affect on other clubs. The merry go round is us, Brisbane, Souths and Penrith.
we are all running on a treadmill, we go hard out but go nowhere
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29584
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:20 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:22 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:13 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:07 pm
I havent heard a thing from Pascoe on the coaching for months...must be just more speculation.
Happy to be correceted
Nah you're probably right. It has been reported in the media as though someone from the club (Pascoe?) has actually stated it, but it may not even be true!
Wasting your time mate, I can see it though :deadhorse:
You dont know the difference between speculation & fact?

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5550
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:22 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:03 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:09 pm
Telltails wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:29 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:46 pm


As opposed to the Bronco's who have arguably better coach they don't want who definitely has players re-considering their own positions at the club and yet the Broncs don't seem too concerned about all that sinking their ship.

As if a coach is going to go out of their way to "sink" a club they are currently at for starters as well as reduce their own win/loss rate and IC's isn't all that great to begin with.

The problem is this conspiracy theory that a coach of all people would sabotage the club he's currently at is ludicrous. Could he take players at the end of it all? Yes, that's at least plausible, but to do much else is a massive stretch.
I dont think its about sabotage, its about if he can continue to effectively do the job that he was brought in to do, and that was rebuild our club. If the CEO is actively looking to replace him with two years to go on his contract - the man most responsible for employing him - that suggests that he is questioning his ability to do so - as far as Im concerned.
Given, he was only here until the end of 2020 , I don't see how it changes much. His tenure at the club would still be up in the air next year unless things went extremely well on the field.

In so far as our CEO looking for replacement's, I just see it as there are 2 qualified coaches being available or close to available and as I said, the club is just being pro-active......which makes for a nice change. I don't see it that the club questions the coach's ability at all.
Might question the commitment to the Club though..
Yep. The fact that the club seems content to let this circus run it's course without confirming or denying anything to set the record straight suggests there are doubts all round.
At least it keeps our fans occupied through the boring off-season with something to debate I suppose.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29584
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:31 pm

Yep. The fact that the club seems content to let this circus run it's course without confirming or denying anything to set the record straight suggests there are doubts all round.
I agree with this

Weve seen in the past with inaccuracies posted in the media the club has been quick to come out and correct them

The silence in this instance does tell us something I think.....we just dont know what yet

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6396
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:02 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:53 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:14 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:47 pm
TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:57 am
I see it like this.....

Ivan wants to coach his son sometime in the future.....

Nathan signs long term with Penrith for the next 5 years...

Ivan (if true) signs with Penrith from 2021....

Ivan states he will honour his contract to keep coaching WTs until 2020....
He then goes to Penrith to coach Nathan in 2021...

I cant see the drama that everybody is in hysterics about,Ivan will continue meeting his obligations under the terms of his contract and remain professional in doing so...

This is the NRL...these things happen....people get to emotional and wrapped up in speculation and inuendos...

If Ivan goes weather he is released or otherwise,I will keep paying my membership and following the WTs as I have since 2000,,, not a problem to me....
I agree with you True Tiger and I can't see why it couldn't work out this way either, but the fact that our club (not the fans) is actively pursuing another coach for next season and beyond means that the whole scenario is emotional and it seems that it has become untenable for Cleary to see out his contract here. It's not the just the constant media speculation and emotion shown by many of the supporters that we're hearing about, it's actually taking place for real at the club. Obviously, there is more to it than we may know.
Not fact yet spud....still speculation
So it's not true, only paper talk? I thought our CEO had indicated they were chasing Bennett & Maguire?
Maybe Bennett and Mquire don’t know who Pascoe is and don’t want to talk to him :lol: ,,,,,,,,0nly joking...

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2683
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:03 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:57 pm


With you GNR , short term hurt for long term hate and Cleary will have a reputation to protect

If Cleary dogs it , 16 clubs will be watching closely .........and Bennett would still have control of recruitment along with Kelly Egan and Pascoe

Cleary must know that Gus will sack him (if he actually even did ) as Gus doesn't take accountability for anything Gus does
It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
:roll :roll :roll

Post Reply