"Can score tries from anywhere"

Wests Tigers Discussion
milford_magic

"Can score tries from anywhere"

Post by milford_magic » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 12:45 pm

Anyone else hate this saying? We are not that side anymore and we have not been for a long time. Even in recent years we have not had this about us. Our streaks in the last few years havent even involved it. Our only chance of scoring a try from far distance is generally that inside ball to Moltzen.... or going wide to Lawrence (not this year yet).

Our outside backs arent quick or skillfull enough to run through or around guys anymore. In 6 games we havent even scored 20 points yet. And its not as if we are missing out lots of chances. If we want to play this way in the future, I think we need to look into some higher skilled backs. Ryan, Reddy, Ayshford, Tuquiri etc all have there own strengths, but as a unit I dont think you can have all of them.

The biggest eye opener was Canberra a few weeks ago. There backs made our backs look like NSW Cup players. They showed what the beauty of having a bit of pace can do for you. Id swap everyone of there outside backs for everyone of ours, accept Lawrence, but on form youd swap him too.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 12:57 pm

Your on the money, we have a very slow backline. If Benji dosnt put a player into a yawning gap than their is no chance of even a line break and than its even money they will be ran down. Power and speed your stuffed without it.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 1:05 pm

Last year we went on a 9 game run with Utai in the squad as well as the players you mentioned, it wasn't a problem then. The missing element I think is Lui. His ability to ghost through gaps and his combo with Aysh and Heino on the right gave us plenty of strike. Sadly the guy is a moron and the time we put into him went down the same place his career is headed.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

milford_magic

Post by milford_magic » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 1:23 pm

tiga4eva wrote:Last year we went on a 9 game run with Utai in the squad as well as the players you mentioned, it wasn't a problem then. The missing element I think is Lui. His ability to ghost through gaps and his combo with Aysh and Heino on the right gave us plenty of strike. Sadly the guy is a moron and the time we put into him went down the same place his career is headed.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
We did go on a run, but we still were not the team we were portrayed to be. I just believe with the style of play we try to play, that we dont have the mould of players fit for it. I believe, and this will be controversial to some, we were helped last year with probably a decent run with the refs (which to be honest in my opinion decides games these days, and it has been the opposite this year). We won heavily on the penalty counts and again we were scoring most tries from close range. If we go back a year before, had we had a bit more pace in the outside backs the final play of our 2010 campaign may of been different.

I am just saying we would be a far better side with the style we play if we had the balance right. Even Ayshford doesnt suit our style great, hes not a centre who can help out his winger or set his winger up, more just a guy who runs and hopes for the beset.

mtd

Post by mtd » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 1:30 pm

yeh good topic..

we dont attack like we used to.. i was watching the bulldogs game the other week and they were throwing it around like we used to... i miss that in our game...

hellman

Post by hellman » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 2:30 pm

I agree that we need a faster backline and that we aren't a good team when it comes to scoring points anymore.

I think we rely on Benji close to the line to create space and send someone over. I don't think that is enough.

We need a pack that goes forward, backs that can defend and score points. I think we suffered from some backs being too small and they would get run over so Sheens went and picked centres and wingers that were big to stop us getting run over. The problem is now we seem to lack some speed.

mtd

Post by mtd » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 2:43 pm

hellman wrote:I think we rely on Benji .
that pretty much summaries our attack right now
its why he needs to be moved to fullback so we are forced to start attacking as a team, not waiting for that brilliant play.

v8tiger

Post by v8tiger » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 3:07 pm

I know this has been said alot for the past 5 years...but we need another Prince.

We need another half to steer the team with the simple stuff like getting metres and then let Benji do his magic when the moment is right.

Maybe Humble will be that guy?

We hoped for that with Morris, Lui and Moltzen but.

spudoakes

Post by spudoakes » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 3:28 pm

Hope next year we will have Teddy & the figian flyer from NYC to give us speed, add to that Anastasia at lock and perhaps a different center offer then ashy and we start to look better

adamtiger

Post by adamtiger » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 3:29 pm

your not going to see that stlye of play from our team at the moment......

we have lost 5 in a row and the pressure is mounting and confidence is down.. the best way to get out of this rut roll the sleeves up and steam roll and team and defend like theres no tomorrow. it almost happened last week subject to a few errors from our players..

If we get back on the winning board and things start to click, dont worry you will see the pace of moltzen lawernce and lote again but atm all the alteral movement is going nowhere because our forwards are doing the same thing.

I dont know if anyone remembers last weeks game that set play down the short side i think it was with benjie farah lote and moltzen and we chocked last minute with insiede and outside balls.... if that was scored try of the season!! we got pace still dont worry..FORWARDS just need to MUSCLE UP!!

Juro

Post by Juro » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 3:58 pm

We have had a few chances to score that long range try this year, but the passes haven't stuck. With confidence down, it is a bit of a vicious cycle, guys not knowing whether to risk the pass, the hesitation causes confusion from the other guys and then the whole thing falls apart, and that just leads to more doubts the next time. With a couple wins on the board, things might look very different...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Colonel

Post by Colonel » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 5:29 pm

milford_magic wrote:Anyone else hate this saying? We are not that side anymore and we have not been for a long time. Even in recent years we have not had this about us. Our streaks in the last few years havent even involved it. Our only chance of scoring a try from far distance is generally that inside ball to Moltzen.... or going wide to Lawrence (not this year yet).

Our outside backs arent quick or skillfull enough to run through or around guys anymore. In 6 games we havent even scored 20 points yet. And its not as if we are missing out lots of chances. If we want to play this way in the future, I think we need to look into some higher skilled backs. Ryan, Reddy, Ayshford, Tuquiri etc all have there own strengths, but as a unit I dont think you can have all of them.

The biggest eye opener was Canberra a few weeks ago. There backs made our backs look like NSW Cup players. They showed what the beauty of having a bit of pace can do for you. Id swap everyone of there outside backs for everyone of ours, accept Lawrence, but on form youd swap him too.
I think this is a great post. I know it's felt like for the last few years that the Tigers weren't blowing teams off the park like they had in the past, and some of the stats point to this maybe being the case.

Of the 21 highest scores the Tigers have posted (I chose 21 because that's what the rleague stats table went up to) only 9 have come in the 6 and a bit seasons from 2006 - 2012 seasons. The other 13 came in the 6 seasons between 2000 and 2005.

Of the Tigers 21 highest scores, 5 came in 2005. Only 3 came in all of the 2010 and 2011 seasons (one in 2011 and 2 in 2010).

In 2005 the Tigers scored 676 points, good for second most in the competition. Since that season, the Tigers have never scored more then 560 points in a year (in 2009 they scored 558). Last year they scored 519.

We have had 15 line breaks this season. That's tied for the Titans as lowest in the league.

Our defence in 2011 was by far the best it's ever been. But it just doesn't seem like the Tigers still have that same ability to really blow a team away like they clearly did in 2005.