Woods Misses out - Tim grant picked.

Wests Tigers Discussion
alex

Re: Woods Misses out - Tim grant picked.

Post by alex » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:47 pm

I just don't see what more they have to do?

They're both in amazing form. Playing huge minutes. Racking up metres in attack and defending their back sides off. They've led the pack to six straight wins. Outplayed the huge Warriors pack, two Australian props against the Cows and two Origin props this weekend. Woods hasn't missed a game since his debut (or maybe just one or two) so he's playing 100% fit.

:wtf

westy81

Post by westy81 » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 9:23 pm

im glad he didnt get picked as he can play for us against melbourne, but sad for him that he didnt get picked as he would do great and deserves it after how he has played so far this year, bad luck for KG too not to get in
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

Brisbane Tiger

Post by Brisbane Tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks ricky now we can beat Melbourne.

tabletoppintiges

Post by tabletoppintiges » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 9:37 pm

I think Sauce was more unlucky he's playing great structure and discipline which is what the Blues missed a bit in Game 1. Both deserved the call up but reckon Woodsy will be better with another NRL season under his belt and the confidence this will give him too. But great effort from both boys to be talked up, the front row is finally getting some recognition it deserves.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 10:29 pm

Happy for Grant, glad Watmough is there and Gallen is back at lock. Merrin is improving with each game - no issue there, but Creagh must seriously have the dirt on someone - why else would he be picked every year? I liked him as a club player a couple of years ago, and thought he deserved selection then, but he has proven to be totally ineffective at SOO level. Yet somehow he still manages to get selected. Also, St George are playing pretty badly this year and even Creagh's club form has been average at best. Something really wrong with this, imo.

Would've been nice to see either Woods or Galloway get a run, but I'm very happy that they'll both be playing with us this week :)
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

rossop

Post by rossop » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 7:45 am

Next year for Woods I suspect. Keefy's unlucky but would have probably just warmed the bench. At least he gets a full game wih us.

Must agree with previous re. Greagh. Should not be there at all

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:28 pm

The NSW selectors have ensured that we will lose 7 in a row.

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:28 pm

I have no problem with Tim Grant's selection- he's a player that I have good wraps on. That Woods misses out to him is not a bad thing. Grant & Tamou give NSW some pretty impressive, mobile front rowers- and I always believe that Origin games are won by field position- so these 2 guys make a lot of sense.

I'm not as impressed by the backrow which is, by now, proven to be no match for the bigger, faster Qld backrow. Glenn Stewart, Greg Bird & Anthony Watmough have never dominated their opposition forwards, and are not getting any younger either. By continually selecting them, we instantly accept that the Qld forwards will have a greater chance at a roll-on. Add to the mix Creagh, Lewis & Merrin as a Prop/2nd Row hybrid, and I'm still unimpressed. Lewis is hard to fault as an individual player, but when surrounded by 5 other guys that play a somewhat similar role, I'm not sure the NSW forwards are 'all they can be'.

Obviously Gallen picks himself. I'd stick with Lewis as the clean-up guy. I'd throw in Chris Houston from Newcastle who has size & can offload. Mateo is the ballplayer the NSW team could use on the fringes after Grant, Tamou & Gallen do the hard work in the middle. Merrin off the bench gives you the Prop/2nd Row hybrid that can assist as players get tired.

Out wide the Blues have no real answers to Hodges & Inglis either- both guys are like extra forwards & attract multiple defenders. The Morris boys are explosive runners, as is Jennings. But physically they can't match up. Obviously we'll all suggest Lawrence as an option at Center- and fair enough too. But Pomeroy from the Sharks should be considered as a 'blunter' to the Qld outside attack. He also has a handy offload on him to help spring a free winger down the side. The Morris boys, Jennings & Uate should be the guys most likely to fight for the wing spots. Dylan Farrell from Souths is an interesting option, however- and I wouldn't be against seeing him in the mix.

Fullback always seems to be a Brett Stewart vs Jarrod Hayne battle. Neither inspires me, but I'd suggest Hayne is the superior player, particularly at Origin level.

It just seems to me that the Blues are in a selection rut & always seem to fall back to the same guys every year. And every year, we watch them outmuscled, outskilled & outplayed by the Qld side. Change is not always a bad thing.

DonnyBrasco

Post by DonnyBrasco » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 5:37 pm

Like most, its sad for both kg and woods, but secretly happy they play this friday.
It might have come down to mongrol not talent and nothing else.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
Tigers for 2022!

red dogg

Post by red dogg » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 5:51 pm

Deep down winning a premiership together means more to these guys then a SOO jersey...
They will no missing out gives them a better chance to get one step closer...
They are there (rep level)... they just dont have the jumper to prove it....

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 7:07 pm

I think Galloway misses out because...
He is kinda slow,
Sorry guys, GREAT player - love him as a player.
Good defender & all that, Great @ club level
But he doesn't suit the fast paced origin style games.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Blake93

Post by Blake93 » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 7:22 pm

Demps wrote:I think Galloway misses out because...
He is kinda slow,
This. Don't know why some people are saying Galloway has matches or exceeded Woods recently. Woods is faster, always looks for the offload and his PTB is a lot faster. I still love him though, wouldn't trade anyone in our front row

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learnt the secret of life.

LaT

Post by LaT » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 9:23 pm

Experience counts for a lot in Origin, Keith has been on the big stage for a while and has Test/Origin experience under his belt.

Over the last few months Galloway has been behind Woods by a very small margin, either one would do the job. But if I put my Blues hat on, I'd be backing Galloway over Woods for G2.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

red dogg

Post by red dogg » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 9:30 pm

if being fast is so important why dont the fast players run more metres then galloway... woods pips him each wk but he also has extra hit ups...
no one drives into the line like galloway... when he runs he may look slow but he is picking his target to drive through...

alex

Post by alex » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 9:52 pm

Galloway is being overshadowed by Woods, but his stats are just as exceptional. If he was at any other club he'd be in

Ice-Tiger

Post by Ice-Tiger » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 10:07 pm

Demps wrote:I think Galloway misses out because...
He is kinda slow,
Unfortunately I agree with you.
I know he only played a few minutes during the last origin series, but he did look a little bit off the pace, just a little.
I think if he was given a few more minutes, it would have done wonders for Keefy, but at origin level you have to be on the pace immediately.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 10:29 pm

alex wrote:Galloway is being overshadowed by Woods, but his stats are just as exceptional. If he was at any other club he'd be in
Got that right. If he played for Manly or St George he'd have played a few games by now!

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 10:47 am

I think if QLD win game 2, then Ricky may blood Woods for the 3rd game, give him some exposure to SOO and bring him in next year.