Tedesco Question

Wests Tigers Discussion
Regan
Member
Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed 09 Sep, 2009 8:07 am

Tedesco Question

Post by Regan » Tue 27 May, 2014 8:10 pm

Tedesco
When I was 21 I was offed a job it was about 40 percent more than what I was getting payed at the time I took it and went to work in the new place it was the worst thing I ever did I lasted three months and still regret it so I don’t blame Tedesco for leaving just hope that he had a good think about it and was not pushed by his manager so his manager can get more money

Question : he can still change his mind and stay a Tiger up until the 30 of June ??


User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Tue 27 May, 2014 10:58 pm

dont think so its pretty much done and dusted unfortunately.

WTDiehard
Member
Member
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon 15 Apr, 2013 5:16 pm

Post by WTDiehard » Tue 27 May, 2014 11:15 pm

Its hard to knock back that much money.

Tigers offered him $500k a year which I think is slightly overs ATM.....not that he's not talented or has the potential but this is all about the first 4-5 games this year so $500k a year is a great offer to a 21 year old.

Raiders offer $800k a year, thats $300k a year more than the tigers offer....you just can't match that.

Players like Tedescoe don't come around often but if I was the Tigers, I'd be looking at Reese Robinson or Jarrod Croker....raiders will need to drop players and I think both of those guys would help the Tigers.

User avatar
mtd
Member
Member
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 9:23 am

Post by mtd » Tue 27 May, 2014 11:27 pm

assume he would be earning 500k a year at tigers @ 50% taxed. he takes home $4,800 per week.

assume he would be earning 800k a year at raiders @ 50% taxed. he takes home $7,300 per week.

each week he would be losing $2,500 AFTER TAX. the kid made the right decision. most of us would love to make that amount each week let alone get that ontop of our existing contracts.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20141
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 27 May, 2014 11:27 pm

He can but he won't


User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 5977
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:34 am

My question is......
Is this all a part of the plan?
We could've signed him up cheap last year but we didn't.

Obvs the risk & reward is there in regards to how often he is injured,
maybe the bosses know this and don't think he's a long term option if he only strings a couple of games together.

No rush to sign him last year maybe they don't expect much from him and have another player in mind to fill in at full back long term.
Tedesco has only really played good in a couple of games this year and was nothing better than average last year and the year before, when he played.

Sure, he's the next Billy Slater... supposedly.
All I know is, he isn't worth the dosh.

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 31281
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

Post by willow » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:38 am

Demps wrote:My question is......
Is this all a part of the plan?
We could've signed him up cheap last year but we didn't.

Obvs the risk & reward is there in regards to how often he is injured,
maybe the bosses know this and don't think he's a long term option if he only strings a couple of games together.

No rush to sign him last year maybe they don't expect much from him and have another player in mind to fill in at full back long term.
Tedesco has only really played good in a couple of games this year and was nothing better than average last year and the year before, when he played.

Sure, he's the next Billy Slater... supposedly.
All I know is, he isn't worth the dosh.
I don't think we were in a position to re-sign him last year to be honest. More and more players are testing the market now with the salary cap increases taking effect. The players will be told by their managers to be smart and test the waters even if they want to stay at their current club. It's a business and one that they're in forever. Teddy has already had a couple of serious injuries, and rocking up to work each day and seeing a fellow local like Simon Dwyer in a sling...well it's a no brainer that he looked out for himself first, and his current club second, and last.

Reality is we can't keep them all, despite offering Tedesco what I thought was a fair and reasonable amount given his current experience.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16727
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:42 am

The question that also begs to be asked is what is the cost of keeping Tedesco? How many signings would his signature compromise? One? Two? Five?
Don't try to tell me awesome power can corrupt a person, you haven't enough to know what it's like; you're only angry because you wish you were in my position, you nod your head because you know that I'm right.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Muffstar
Member
Member
Posts: 2246
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Port Macquarie

Post by Muffstar » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:22 am

For me my conundrum is how much do you pay for emerging talent ?

Tedesco imo is in this category, but if the 800K pa figure is true then this puts him the JT and GI elite class of player (money wise) which Tedesco is clearly not at this point of his career.

tiger85
Member
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 7:20 pm

Post by tiger85 » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:29 am

the only solution for this to stop happening is to introduce concessions to the cap for players that the a club has nurtured and brought through the grades. its deplorable that clubs can invest so much into a talent and then just have them walk away when they start to kick on.
Balmain Born Wests Sworn!!!!!

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:30 am

$800k per year - basically splitting a lottery win for 3 years running. A freakin joke of an offer. Nobody at the age of 21 deserves that. He has absolutely no conscience given the work our club has put into him. Take the money and run. And don't come back.

User avatar
Justo
Member
Member
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu 05 Apr, 2012 2:31 pm

Post by Justo » Thu 29 May, 2014 9:34 am

willow wrote: I don't think we were in a position to re-sign him last year to be honest. More and more players are testing the market now with the salary cap increases taking effect. The players will be told by their managers to be smart and test the waters even if they want to stay at their current club. It's a business and one that they're in forever. Teddy has already had a couple of serious injuries, and rocking up to work each day and seeing a fellow local like Simon Dwyer in a sling...well it's a no brainer that he looked out for himself first, and his current club second, and last.

Reality is we can't keep them all, despite offering Tedesco what I thought was a fair and reasonable amount given his current experience.
Exactly right Willow. Bang on. Could not have summed it better.

alexaki
Member
Member
Posts: 5017
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:21 pm

Post by alexaki » Thu 29 May, 2014 9:43 am

Justo wrote:
willow wrote: I don't think we were in a position to re-sign him last year to be honest. More and more players are testing the market now with the salary cap increases taking effect. The players will be told by their managers to be smart and test the waters even if they want to stay at their current club. It's a business and one that they're in forever. Teddy has already had a couple of serious injuries, and rocking up to work each day and seeing a fellow local like Simon Dwyer in a sling...well it's a no brainer that he looked out for himself first, and his current club second, and last.

Reality is we can't keep them all, despite offering Tedesco what I thought was a fair and reasonable amount given his current experience.
Exactly right Willow. Bang on. Could not have summed it better.

No arguments there Willow...what is annoying though is the dishonesty shown along the way and comments post the signing...

User avatar
simonthetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:12 pm

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 29 May, 2014 10:51 am

Justo wrote:
willow wrote: I don't think we were in a position to re-sign him last year to be honest. More and more players are testing the market now with the salary cap increases taking effect. The players will be told by their managers to be smart and test the waters even if they want to stay at their current club. It's a business and one that they're in forever. Teddy has already had a couple of serious injuries, and rocking up to work each day and seeing a fellow local like Simon Dwyer in a sling...well it's a no brainer that he looked out for himself first, and his current club second, and last.

Reality is we can't keep them all, despite offering Tedesco what I thought was a fair and reasonable amount given his current experience.
Exactly right Willow. Bang on. Could not have summed it better.
Yeppity...well said WIllow...thats how im feeeling it.

laufoofan
Member
Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 9:05 am

Post by laufoofan » Thu 29 May, 2014 11:00 am

The raiders are throwing money at players to get them to play for them. Reece Robinson and Jarrod Crocker are good players, Sticky may not have enough room for them as he is buying players that he wanted.How much is left in the kitty for other players at Canberra?
Midford is a big shoe to fill in, I hope Tes can do the job as currently only a shadow but big money has been paid. I cannot blame Tes for taking that sort of money, but any substandard performance will be a big let down for Canberra. Tes has not been injury free, so what is his real worth? It could be the bigget disappointment for any club, another millstone on the neck of sticky.Tes will have to live with that for the money he is being paid.

Newtown
Member
Member
Posts: 5224
Joined: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Newtown » Thu 29 May, 2014 11:30 am

The Tedesco Saga is thankfully now over - even if it did discomfort us. Looking to the future it was the right decision by Wests Tigers. There are 13 players not just One who take the field to represent Wests Tigers. West Tigers need team harmony and teamwork where Every player believes, without deluding himself, he is treated and paid fairly by the club. This would not have occurred if we paid $800K per year to Tedesco for the next four years. Many of our players would be looking elsewhere because the club's finances would be going south leaving insufficient funding for players. As a result it is most likely that the club would move not south but west - all the way to Perth. I have already been through this when I followed the now defunct Newtown 1st grade team in the early 1980's.

spearby
Member
Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 7:23 pm

Post by spearby » Thu 29 May, 2014 1:19 pm

like every one at the west tigers I am very sorry to see teddy go ,after all wt showed a lot of loyalty and faith in teddy carried him through all his bad injuries .I thing teddy owes wt a lot its a pity he couldn't have shown the club a little bit loyalty back. all at wt will wish teddy all the best remember son what club gave you your opportunity to shine

User avatar
Tigersmurf
Member
Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue 20 Oct, 2009 8:40 pm

Post by Tigersmurf » Thu 29 May, 2014 2:06 pm

tiger85 wrote:the only solution for this to stop happening is to introduce concessions to the cap for players that the a club has nurtured and brought through the grades. its deplorable that clubs can invest so much into a talent and then just have them walk away when they start to kick on.
Concessions only help if you have money. I think it is fair to say that we struggle to fund our club up to the current level of the salary cap. So all concessions are going to do as I see it are favour the rich clubs even further.

Post Reply