Wests Tigers threaten to stop rugby league junior production

Wests Tigers Discussion
simonthetiger

Re: Wests Tigers threaten to stop rugby league junior produc

Post by simonthetiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:07 am

innsaneink wrote:
Knuckles wrote:
bonstonker wrote:mayer and his threats again.
Yeah ... How predictable !
He should have said ... Last chance for Cambo ... Juniors
Maybe you'd like to point out where he said they'd threaten to STOP jnr development

ITS A HEADLINE!!!
Inkypoo.....ur spot on...he never said it.

This forum is hilarious..peeps cant wait to jump up and down about nothing.

PS...James Tedesco sucks.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:08 am

innsaneink wrote:
Knuckles wrote:
Maybe you'd like to point out where he said they'd threaten to STOP jnr development

ITS A HEADLINE!!!
made the threat a month ago,and now the rehash.
but there isn't a threat,because we have no other choice.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:16 am

happy tiger wrote:
Black'n'White wrote:Headlines equal pressure... and he wasnt going to make the papers if he didnt ham it up a little.

It is an issue that needs addressing though in all honesty. If it costs us $1M a year to maintain development, then that is funds we could be putting into various other facets of the club, funds we sorely need to get the place back into shape.
But its like the chicken and the egg BnW

If we have a competitive side that is consistently making the 8 we can attract more money from sponsors and attract TPA which will ease some of the money issues

If we put all those funds into other facets as you mention and the club runs bottom four year after year forget what I just mentioned above

Its a fine line we are walking that's for sure
I totally agree...

That said, if you look at the performances of the clubs heavily invested in junior development versus those who dont there is a glaringly obvious disparity. It is almost as though you are better off soley focusing on your NRL team rather than spread yourself thin and putting the effort in...

It should be the opposite.

How to make it work though is another story.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:20 am

Boo Tedesco...
Last edited by simonthetiger on Wed 28 May, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:21 am

simonthetiger wrote:I think the glaring point is...should teams get compensated by clubs who poach their juniors/

Of course the answer is yes.

I reckon ten percent of the amount of the players contract should go to the club that loses out.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:30 am

simonthetiger wrote:I think the glaring point is...should teams get compensated by clubs who poach their juniors.

I reckon ten percent of the amount of the players contract should go to the club tha loses out.
that doesn't help you keep the player under a salary cap though.
do we just settle to become a development club.

there must be better salary cap allowances for juniors.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:31 am

simonthetiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Knuckles wrote:

ITS A HEADLINE!!!
Inkypoo.....ur spot on...he never said it.

This forum is hilarious..peeps cant wait to jump up and down about nothing.

PS...James Tedesco sucks.
Actually he said they "may stop" in the article toward the end.
Don't try to tell me awesome power can corrupt a person, you haven't enough to know what it's like; you're only angry because you wish you were in my position, you nod your head because you know that I'm right.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:32 am

bonstonker wrote:
simonthetiger wrote:I think the glaring point is...should teams get compensated by clubs who poach their juniors.

I reckon ten percent of the amount of the players contract should go to the club tha loses out.
that doesn't help you keep the player under a salary cap though.
do we just settle to become a development club.

there must be better salary cap allowances for juniors.
Yeah good point.

For sure there should be cap allowances.

I hope Mayer keeps on about this cos our juniors should be a huge advantage.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:37 am

Mayer should definitely push the compensation angle to the NRL. Team up with Penrith, Parra, Dragons and Canberra and tell them that these clubs cannot continue feeding players into the game for other clubs to poach them with zero expense toward their development.
Don't try to tell me awesome power can corrupt a person, you haven't enough to know what it's like; you're only angry because you wish you were in my position, you nod your head because you know that I'm right.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 10:45 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Mayer should definitely push the compensation angle to the NRL. Team up with Penrith, Parra, Dragons and Canberra and tell them that these clubs cannot continue feeding players into the game for other clubs to poach them with zero expense toward their development.
But that is the problem CB

This system works for 11 clubs and doesn't work for 5 clubs

Shouldn't it be our responsibility to lift our game as well as ??

We seem every time we have an issue we turn to the NRL and say "This isn't fair help us please " with our beggers bowl firmly placed in front of our face

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:05 am

I dont see this one as begging...

I dont think the NRL should out of pocket for this, rather find a system where long service is calculated to incorporate how long you have had the juniors in your system. The difficult part is to find a system that also doesnt put the development clubs out of pocket still working within the cap but being able to gouge the top ups from poachers instead.

tiger85

Post by tiger85 » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:33 am

how is wanting to be paid for your product begging?
Balmain Born Wests Sworn!!!!!

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:43 am

It is obvious that all the clubs with large jnr. development programs are going to band together to approach the NRL from a position of power with some reasonable demands based on the work they put in

Nothing wrong with that at all

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:56 am

smeghead wrote:It is obvious that all the clubs with large jnr. development programs are going to band together to approach the NRL from a position of power with some reasonable demands based on the work they put in

But all this wouldn't be an issue if we were in a stronger position off field

Shouldn't that be the priority so we can be one of the haves not the have nots Smeg ??

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Wed 28 May, 2014 12:00 pm

The procedures have already begun to improve our off field.

It is not an overnight concern though

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 28 May, 2014 12:11 pm

happy tiger wrote:
smeghead wrote:It is obvious that all the clubs with large jnr. development programs are going to band together to approach the NRL from a position of power with some reasonable demands based on the work they put in

But all this wouldn't be an issue if we were in a stronger position off field

Shouldn't that be the priority so we can be one of the haves not the have nots Smeg ??
What's wrong with Mayer raising it?

I'm with Smeg, it is in our interests to be rewarded for bringing up juniors, so our CEO should stamp and make a bit of noise, at times like these, to get some attention.

It doesn't matter that we have financial issues behind the scenes; this is a competitive business and you don't go getting all proud because you are poor, you scrap for every advantage you can get.

The alternative is to keep our mouths shut and never get any consideration for our junior program.

Because he's not talking about the random kids out in western Sydney, he is talking about the specific players scouted at a young age, brought through the system, trained and educated, who are then offered big bucks the minute they emerge as a first-grade talent.

As Mayer said, this can cost as much as $1 million; if you aren't protected from "raiders" (pun intended) then you may as well do what some of the other clubs do - sit back, save your bucks and jump on the best kids as they emerge closer to firsts.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 28 May, 2014 12:17 pm

And then what happens if the amount of quality juniors coming through drops off in our area for whatever reason

We need both the power to compete with the big clubs financially as well as our junior nursery

Personally I think the power to compete should be our priority , we will still keep the majority of the youngsters we want to keep if we are strong club off field

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 28 May, 2014 12:29 pm

As has Been pointed out. ...it won't happen overnight.
Mayer has admitted we are poor re TPAs but we are working on it
Give Em a break..stop putting in the boot for a minute