Des Hasler

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tigermama

Des Hasler

Post by Tigermama » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 12:59 am

Watching and listening to Des at the press conference after his team lost to Souths, i must say that he comes across as a very intense man, that feels owed or entitled to get his own way like a petulant child. Always puts blame on others( refs) etc. hardly ever gives credit to the opposing team. He tends to mumble sometimes too which makes him sound unintelligent, even though he has a uni degree. Compared to him Potter is all class. He speaks and handles himself with dignity and humility and does not try and lay blame on others for his teams bad performances. Potter is a very rare person in the cut throat world of coaching. Hope he stays with us a bit longer.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 1:50 am

Yet Des has won 2 premierships and Potter is about to be sacked after finishing at the bottom of the ladder in consecutive seasons. I like Potter too, but wanting him to stay just cos he's a nice guy, and being thankful we don't have someone like Hasler cos he shows passion and might come across like an angry guy is insane. The results speak for themselves. Do you want to a win with a coach who shows a bit of mongrel, or do you want to lose with a coach who has the personality of Richie Cunningham. I know which one i'd rather thanks.

overseastigersfan

Post by overseastigersfan » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 1:52 am

totally agree, Potter never made excuses, gives opposition credit. It was a refreshing change after Teflon Tim who had every excuse in the book ready. Even now, with all that has gone on, and a lot of the players not putting, he has been all class. Especially like that he stayed with his ESL team even though he wasn't being paid. Now that is loyalty and class, he deserves better than this club ( management and players) have given him over the last two years.

overseastigersfan

Post by overseastigersfan » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 2:00 am

Agree with both GNR and mama, great bloke, he deserved better but we need results, not sure who we are going to get though, Potter was being paid peanuts. Potter's has go to go for the sheer fact that it "seems" he has lost the playing group......

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 7:18 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:Yet Des has won 2 premierships and Potter is about to be sacked after finishing at the bottom of the ladder in consecutive seasons. I like Potter too, but wanting him to stay just cos he's a nice guy, and being thankful we don't have someone like Hasler cos he shows passion and might come across like an angry guy is insane. The results speak for themselves. Do you want to a win with a coach who shows a bit of mongrel, or do you want to lose with a coach who has the personality of Richie Cunningham. I know which one i'd rather thanks.
Manly won 2 premierships with him as coach (2008-20011) he began coaching at Manly in 2004. It took 4 years with a very strong, skilful and experienced team to do it. Given that Potter inherited ( young inexperienced squad, injuries galore, senior players out of form,boardroom dramas and everyone gunning for his head in his limited time at the job he has done very well Imo. I doubt very much that Des would have done better under the same circumstances GNR. I think Des would have had a heart attack or a stroke by now LOL. If Potter stays or goes he can at least hold his head up high.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 7:31 am

3 final appearances in 15 years just isn't any where near good enough for our club.We need a winning culture. I like Potter but I'm not quite sure he has what it takes to change things around.ATM we are just there to make up numbers. Not good enough. Major changes required.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 7:45 am

Eye Of Da Tiger wrote:3 final appearances in 15 years just isn't any where near good enough for our club.We need a winning culture. I like Potter but I'm not quite sure he has what it takes to change things around.ATM we are just there to make up numbers. Not good enough. Major changes required.
I agree none of us know if he has got what it takes,because he hasn't been given a proper chance to show us. Too many obstacles thrown in his way.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 7:49 am

I said in an earlier thread,Hassler has a good roster that spells success,give Mick Potter a fit,healthy first grade squad and the results could be quite surprising..Potter hasn't been given a decent chance from the start and I find it hard to judge someone with that amount of inhouse interference and roster limitations.Hassler would of walked away early in the debacle..Potter is a gentleman and as for coaching...give him a decent roster and no whiteanting,then we might be a chance of some success.. :D :D
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 8:18 am

Hopefully the coaching decision will be made by someone with a bit of intellect who can pick through all the sh!t instead of the brain dead knee-jerk of; The team is not performing blame the coach.
In the beginning of the season members of this forum were talking of a 'top 4' position and calling for an immediate extension to Potters contract.
Then we had a bunch of injuries, Farah and Woods to SOO and major disruption to the team from somebody with an anti-Potter agenda.
If Hasler was being undermined as Potter is he wouldn't be having the the results quoted and he'd be long gone.
"Quality Stupidity"

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 9:10 am

Des brought video analysis to the NRL.
He's top 3 coaches dead or alive.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 3:09 pm

Demps wrote:Des brought video analysis to the NRL.
He's top 3 coaches dead or alive.
Not questioning his ability to coach . But now that you mentioned it ????? I wonder how he would go coaching a team without superstars, first class training facilities the best medical staff money can buy etc. etc. i can go on and on. I guess we will never know, will we Demps ;)

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 3:20 pm

Des is good coach, bit overrated though. He has coached a gun side at manly and was given plenty of time and money to fulfill his plan.

I wouldnt say he was an innovator he just copied the coaching techniques used overseas. And lets not forget the calfs blood and anything else he was doing at the time that was somewhat questionable.

Colonel

Post by Colonel » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 3:48 pm

Tigermama wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Yet Des has won 2 premierships and Potter is about to be sacked after finishing at the bottom of the ladder in consecutive seasons. I like Potter too, but wanting him to stay just cos he's a nice guy, and being thankful we don't have someone like Hasler cos he shows passion and might come across like an angry guy is insane. The results speak for themselves. Do you want to a win with a coach who shows a bit of mongrel, or do you want to lose with a coach who has the personality of Richie Cunningham. I know which one i'd rather thanks.
Manly won 2 premierships with him as coach (2008-20011) he began coaching at Manly in 2004. It took 4 years with a very strong, skilful and experienced team to do it. Given that Potter inherited ( young inexperienced squad, injuries galore, senior players out of form,boardroom dramas and everyone gunning for his head in his limited time at the job he has done very well Imo. I doubt very much that Des would have done better under the same circumstances GNR. I think Des would have had a heart attack or a stroke by now LOL. If Potter stays or goes he can at least hold his head up high.
It's not like he inherited a team that was ready to win it all.... When Hasler took over in 2004 the Sea Eagles hadn't made the finals since 1998. After he took over he got them to the finals in 2005 (his second season) and again inn 2006 and 2007 before winning it all in 2008.

You could say Hasler fell into good circumstances, but you could also say that he built his success, taking the club to success against a background of a sustained period of mediocrity, a failed joint venture, a dilapidated playing field, a lack of funds and a civil war erupting at board level between joint owners who didn't see eye to eye.

Sounds familiar...

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 5:39 pm

It's really hard to compare all these coaches, tbh. I like Hasler, always have. He was one of the fittest and most passionate players to play the game and he is still very passionate as a coach, but let's face it, he has only coached Manly and Canterbury - 2 of the most successful and stable clubs in the NRL for many a decade. It would be interesting to see how he would go coaching a perennially struggling club like Cronulla or indeed a joint venture consisting of 2 struggling clubs, with below average facilities that have never seen eye to eye behind the scenes. It would be, equally, interesting to see how Potter would go coaching a club with lots of money and a history of success, but alas, these are the things we will never know.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 6:10 pm

Colonel wrote:
Tigermama wrote:
It's not like he inherited a team that was ready to win it all.... When Hasler took over in 2004 the Sea Eagles hadn't made the finals since 1998. After he took over he got them to the finals in 2005 (his second season) and again inn 2006 and 2007 before winning it all in 2008.

You could say Hasler fell into good circumstances, but you could also say that he built his success, taking the club to success against a background of a sustained period of mediocrity, a failed joint venture, a dilapidated playing field, a lack of funds and a civil war erupting at board level between joint owners who didn't see eye to eye.

Sounds familiar...
Very similar except manly were not debilitated with injuries in 2008. They beat Storm 40 to nil. I remember it well. Makes me wonder how far we might have gone this year if it wasn't for all the injuries.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 8:33 pm

Tigermama totally agree,put any NRL coaches top or 3/4 of the top squad and put them on the bench for weeks and see what they can come up with in the way of wins...I would say they would be no better off than Potter is,however Pots has a group of young ones he has to blood in the top league .....not easily done as others would like to think....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 8:59 pm

TrueTiger wrote:Tigermama totally agree,put any NRL coaches top or 3/4 of the top squad and put them on the bench for weeks and see what they can come up with in the way of wins...I would say they would be no better off than Potter is,however Pots has a group of young ones he has to blood in the top league .....not easily done as others would like to think....
Well Ivan Cleary has done pretty damn well with a depleted side for the second half of the yr. They had about 10 first choice first graders unavailable on the weekend, and they came within 30 seconds of beating the competition leaders. How do you think we'd go against them missing 10 first graders?

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 9:07 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
TrueTiger wrote:Tigermama totally agree,put any NRL coaches top or 3/4 of the top squad and put them on the bench for weeks and see what they can come up with in the way of wins...I would say they would be no better off than Potter is,however Pots has a group of young ones he has to blood in the top league .....not easily done as others would like to think....
Well Ivan Cleary has done pretty damn well with a depleted side for the second half of the yr. They had about 10 first choice first graders unavailable on the weekend, and they came within 30 seconds of beating the competition leaders. How do you think we'd go against them missing 10 first graders?
I agree , look at the sharks last night ...we suck !

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !