Improvement

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tiger78

Improvement

Post by Tiger78 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 5:33 pm

Had a look at last years points differential and we finished on -211 points and pretty sure close to the same in 2013. As we stand now with one more game to go this season ( which we should win ) , we are -73. Although on the ladder it doesnt look like we have improved much , if a few games went a little different this year i.e the first dogs game we lost by 1 and the canberra game we lead by 22 and lost to name a few , we could have been talking about a very different season. IMO the Wests Tigers are heading in the right direction and with a few astute purchases in the player market to bolster our weaker positions in the next year or two i really think we will be right in the finals mix. WT4LIFE :D

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 5:45 pm

Tiger78 wrote:Had a look at last years points differential and we finished on -211 points and pretty sure close to the same in 2013. As we stand now with one more game to go this season ( which we should win ) , we are -73. Although on the ladder it doesnt look like we have improved much , if a few games went a little different this year i.e the first dogs game we lost by 1 and the canberra game we lead by 22 and lost to name a few , we could have been talking about a very different season. IMO the Wests Tigers are heading in the right direction and with a few astute purchases in the player market to bolster our weaker positions in the next year or two i really think we will be right in the finals mix. WT4LIFE :D
You are 100% correct Tiger78. I made the same finding after I looked at the ladders a few days ago. Looks like that has been quite a lot of unnecessary hot air blown on this forum over the past season.

Shaggytiger

Post by Shaggytiger » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:13 pm

So, if a couple of games go our way this weekend and we get a win up against the dragons, we can potentially finish in 11th on the table. A bit more respectable than looking at getting the spoon a couple of weeks ago

This would also be an improvement on 2013 and 2014. Sure, we aren't playing finals football but as Tiger78 and Newtown said, if we had not thrown away a couple of games we should have won we might have been.

Might not be the shipwreck of a season I thought it was going to be after all. Can only hope for more improvement next year.
Don't worry if plan "A" fails. There are 25 more letters in the alphabet!!

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:14 pm

Matt Head on ABC radio stated the WTs hadn't improved since round 1 and he was the Balmain SG Ball coach this year and last. When you have to start seeking out stats to confirm you have improved I think the situation is not good.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:21 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Matt Head on ABC radio stated the WTs hadn't improved since round 1 and he was the Balmain SG Ball coach this year and last. When you have to start seeking out stats to confirm you have improved I think the situation is not good.
Are you suggesting then that you just go with the vibe of the season??

The stats make it abundantly clear that we have improved. And on a more subjective basis, for most of our matches I reckon our goal line defence has been remarkably improved.

Where this season went down the tube was with the crazy game plans/structure we adopted until the back third of the season. Added to which we had most of our injuries in our weakest position - centre.

bobo125

Post by bobo125 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:27 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:[
Where this season went down the tube was with the crazy game plans/structure we adopted until the back third of the season. Added to which we had most of our injuries in our weakest position - centre.
yeps

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:30 pm

Matt Head made his observation on radio by viewing the team playing. Admittedly he is a former NRL footballer and coach but you would have confidence in his advice.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:35 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Matt Head made his observation on radio by viewing the team playing. Admittedly he is a former NRL footballer and coach but you would have confidence in his advice.
Wasnt commenting on Head's views as much as your dismissal of stats.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:36 pm

There's just as strong an argument to say that if we lost a few close games that we ultimately won (2nd raiders game, first Eels game) we would be undisputed spooners. It's far too early to be calling for trends of improvement with so many variables and moving parts. When I take a step back and look at the season, all I could say with any certainty is, it was another very bad one.

bobo125

Post by bobo125 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:42 pm

Tbone wrote:There's just as strong an argument to say that if we lost a few close games that we ultimately won (2nd raiders game, first Eels game) we would be undisputed spooners. It's far too early to be calling for trends of improvement with so many variables and moving parts. When I take a step back and look at the season, all I could say with any certainty is, it was another very bad one.
i agree also.
regardless of fault - some stats higher than previous are good working indicators but overall its been a very sour ending.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:46 pm

Don't forget last year after smashing the dogs we had one foot in the top eight and were riding high in confidence.

Then the rubbish with Robbie and Mick Potter was revealed and we played like an under 8s side for the remainder of the year.

Those beatings we copped made our for and against look like rubbish, as well as consigned us to also rans on the ladder.

So again, if a few things went different last year we probably sneak into the 8.

A lot of ifs and buts, however the fact remains we are a basket case both this year and last.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:51 pm

bobo125 wrote:
yeps
PymblePete,I totally agree that from the outside looking in there appears to be a dislike to the structures and gameplans...but how the hell do you teach the young ones to adapt to the NRL defense week in week out without teaching them how the structures work...this was always going to be a learning curve year as most have agreed way back before the season started...but the stats do show a much improved try line defense that we desperately needed..
Now bobo,give me a serve because you dislike Taylor...it wouldn't matter who we had as coach these young guys had to learn,remember all the "they were put in together" while their so young,the inexperience showed by the losses etc etc..If most on here are true supporters,they would let the admin of this club do its work and keep the emotional rash statements out of this discussion,sure every ones upset,but let the process do its work..we will be better next year..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

bobo125

Post by bobo125 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:59 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
bobo125 wrote:
yeps
PymblePete,I totally agree that from the outside looking in there appears to be a dislike to the structures and gameplans...but how the hell do you teach the young ones to adapt to the NRL defense week in week out without teaching them how the structures work...this was always going to be a learning curve year as most have agreed way back before the season started...but the stats do show a much improved try line defense that we desperately needed..
Now bobo,give me a serve because you dislike Taylor...it wouldn't matter who we had as coach these young guys had to learn,remember all the "they were put in together" while their so young,the inexperience showed by the losses etc etc..If most on here are true supporters,they would let the admin of this club do its work and keep the emotional rash statements out of this discussion,sure every ones upset,but let the process do its work..we will be better next year..

maaaaaaate, you need to relaaaaax.
i understand that some are for and some are against the coach. i sought some kind of rationale thoughts but get it that its really either team robbie or team JT.
i have no problem with that.
my view or opinion is based on what i have observed - in regards to the team and performance.
i am 100% for using stats in the manner that Des Hasler does, but in a overall sense, i dont think a few improved areas = a an overall improvement. Especially when we " just" missed the wooden spoon.

littletiger

Post by littletiger » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 7:13 pm

Tiger78 wrote:Had a look at last years points differential and we finished on -211 points and pretty sure close to the same in 2013. As we stand now with one more game to go this season ( which we should win ) , we are -73. Although on the ladder it doesnt look like we have improved much , if a few games went a little different this year i.e the first dogs game we lost by 1 and the canberra game we lead by 22 and lost to name a few , we could have been talking about a very different season. IMO the Wests Tigers are heading in the right direction and with a few astute purchases in the player market to bolster our weaker positions in the next year or two i really think we will be right in the finals mix. WT4LIFE :D

Too right mate.

People don't like to acknowledge Taylors improvements on here and continuously pushing their own deranged agendas.

Taylors management improvement. Less injuries to the club, better defence, managed to keep tedesco injury free, the team look fit. There's improvements there if u choose to see them.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 7:26 pm

Tbone wrote:There's just as strong an argument to say that if we lost a few close games that we ultimately won (2nd raiders game, first Eels game) we would be undisputed spooners. It's far too early to be calling for trends of improvement with so many variables and moving parts. When I take a step back and look at the season, all I could say with any certainty is, it was another very bad one.
At the start of this season most expectations were way too high considering WT had a very young team unaccustomed to the ways of a new coach.

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 7:34 pm

littletiger wrote:

Too right mate.

People don't like to acknowledge Taylors improvements on here and continuously pushing their own deranged agendas.

Taylors management improvement. Less injuries to the club, better defence, managed to keep tedesco injury free, the team look fit. There's improvements there if u choose to see them.
Have to agree with this Taylor after all the negatives certainly has brought some positives to the season ... Get a couple of big boppers that can hurt in defence and drive in attack a damaging centre and things could radically change. I have also been very dissapointed with many of the performances to say the least but in saying that I really wasn't expecting to much this season anyway.
Honestly who really knows how things could of been with the apparent problems that have been exposed over the last couple of weeks ,but I do give Taylor a lot of credit for many positive things as stated above credit where credit is due.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 8:33 pm

I've been told that statistics can be twisted to prove anything. Wait for the comments...

ryanda01

Post by ryanda01 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 11:52 pm

jirskyr wrote:I've been told that statistics can be twisted to prove anything. Wait for the comments...
Correct. How many of those games were played at night? How many players were missing defensively from each of those games? How many line breaks were made by number 16's who surnames are palindromes?

FYI I am having a lend. Jirskyr love your stats in previous threads. Haters gunna hate like I've always said. Your work only seconded to the J(u)ro Curve wherever he/she may be.