Spoon, will it be ours?

Wests Tigers Discussion

Where will we finish the 2017 season?

Top 4
5
4%
Top 8
10
7%
9th-12th
11
8%
13th-15th
67
48%
Spoon
47
34%
 
Total votes: 140

Marshall_magic
Member
Member
Posts: 4205
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 5:33 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Spoon, will it be ours?

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:59 pm

Doesn't help that we played the Warriors, Knights and Bulldogs once this season (all three teams are garbage), but we shouldn't be anywhere near the spoon. Both Parra games, the sharks game and eve the Storm game are games we were in a great position to win and bottled. We should be well and truly out of Newcastle's reach.

That said, Newcastle have a tough run in, if we can knock over the Warriors in R26 plus win one of the other games we have left (Manly, Roosters or Cowboys), it will be enough. If Newcastle keep winning this will bring the Titans, Dogs and Warriors into play who are all pretty hopeless. I'm confident we will avoid it.


hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 6888
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by hobbo » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:19 pm

matchball wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:45 pm
hobbo wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:32 pm
matchball wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:12 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:03 pm


Yeah they miss so many tackles and can't score a try to save their lives!
They made bad decisions. Sacking JT round 4 was ridiculous.
Should have ditched him pre season or let him see it out.
I made this thread that same week.
Then the board failed dealings with Issac Moses. He absolutely played them for fools.

You can blame the roster all you want but the board are atrocious. Their plans this season resulted in failure.
"Rising up " .....they said :lol:
Marina Go is supposedly a media professional.
All she has done for the WestsTigers media wise is retweet tweets.
How can someone coming from a media career fail so badly in our media department.
We have been dragged through the coals and I haven't heard a peep from our media professional.
Pffft.

Marina Go – the CEO at Private Media who will soon take up the role of General Manager of Hearst Bauer Media. Marina has had an extensive career in publishing and media roles, particularly relating to magazines.

What has she done for us in the media????
Agree , she's crap at her job .
Someone like Wayne Pearce would be better suited in the position .
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24956
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 334 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:27 pm

Yeah get rid of the figure head...yet the faceless men who made the decisions and control the board remain..clueless...

Oh and Go was appointed by previous Wests and Balmain Board committee and re-appointed to Chair by the current Board in March..

I'm just glad Justin Pascoe wasn;t going to allow another season to 'drift' by..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:21 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:37 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:27 pm
Yeah get rid of the figure head...yet the faceless men who made the decisions and control the board remain..clueless...

Oh and Go was appointed by previous Wests and Balmain Board committee and re-appointed to Chair by the current Board in March..

I'm just glad Justin Pascoe wasn;t going to allow another season to 'drift' by..
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... mbers.html

NRL was directly involved in the nomination process. They were the ones who set up the nomination committee. Balmain had no vote because they weren't financially viable.
So the NRL had the reins and Wests really had no choice.

David Smith explains this in the video that statement was linked to.
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... na_go.html

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4957
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:43 pm

kafta wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:49 pm
If Warriors win a Holden cup match we will be last in every grade.

Has a club ever spooned in all 3 grades ?
If we do Kafta the pundits will say"its the year the Wests Tigers had to have"so they can rebuild and focus on changing the club and its culture... :blah ...its the previous management and some player that have left this club the way it is,it will change now with Ivan at the helm...getting the spoon will make a lot on here :bawling ,but its a tough competition and if you don't get your team and club in order then that is the prize at the end of the year...hopefully the next few years will be great and a spoon will never come our way again... :shock:
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D


User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24956
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 334 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 11:03 pm

matchball wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:37 pm
Geo. wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:27 pm
Yeah get rid of the figure head...yet the faceless men who made the decisions and control the board remain..clueless...

Oh and Go was appointed by previous Wests and Balmain Board committee and re-appointed to Chair by the current Board in March..

I'm just glad Justin Pascoe wasn;t going to allow another season to 'drift' by..
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... mbers.html

NRL was directly involved in the nomination process. They were the ones who set up the nomination committee. Balmain had no vote because they weren't financially viable.
So the NRL had the reins and Wests really had no choice.

David Smith explains this in the video that statement was linked to.
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... na_go.html
Yet when Wests Ashfield took control and the current Board re-structured..they re-appointed Go as chair with no input from the NRL..seems odd..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 11:17 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:43 pm
kafta wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:49 pm
If Warriors win a Holden cup match we will be last in every grade.

Has a club ever spooned in all 3 grades ?
If we do Kafta the pundits will say"its the year the Wests Tigers had to have"so they can rebuild and focus on changing the club and its culture... :blah ...its the previous management and some player that have left this club the way it is,it will change now with Ivan at the helm...getting the spoon will make a lot on here :bawling ,but its a tough competition and if you don't get your team and club in order then that is the prize at the end of the year...hopefully the next few years will be great and a spoon will never come our way again... :shock:
Jesus what a load of bloody waffle. This club has been heading for the spoon for ages now. We are destined to win one and with Newcastle fighting with every fibre not to win a third one in succesion, we are likely.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:21 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 11:18 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 11:03 pm
matchball wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:37 pm
Geo. wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:27 pm
Yeah get rid of the figure head...yet the faceless men who made the decisions and control the board remain..clueless...

Oh and Go was appointed by previous Wests and Balmain Board committee and re-appointed to Chair by the current Board in March..

I'm just glad Justin Pascoe wasn;t going to allow another season to 'drift' by..
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... mbers.html

NRL was directly involved in the nomination process. They were the ones who set up the nomination committee. Balmain had no vote because they weren't financially viable.
So the NRL had the reins and Wests really had no choice.

David Smith explains this in the video that statement was linked to.
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... na_go.html
Yet when Wests Ashfield took control and the current Board re-structured..they re-appointed Go as chair with no input from the NRL..seems odd..
She handled this season so badly. Look how the media savaged us from the sacking of JT and all these mess inbetween.
2 of those appointed directors are media professionals yet they haven't said or done a thing. What good are they if they don't use their strengths?
That video of her being questioned at the end of that press conference is really cringeworthy.
She doesn't know anything. It's like she won the job in a raffle.

westy81
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 1:29 am
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by westy81 » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 8:10 am

After Knights winning there 3rd game in a row I think we will revive the spoon this year now, I don't see us winning another game unless we can beat the warriors ina few rounds time
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 8:41 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:27 pm
Yeah get rid of the figure head...yet the faceless men who made the decisions and control the board remain..clueless...

Oh and Go was appointed by previous Wests and Balmain Board committee and re-appointed to Chair by the current Board in March..

I'm just glad Justin Pascoe wasn;t going to allow another season to 'drift' by..
I basically agree. I think the board has handled the situation this year really well. Getting rid of Taylor was a last ditch effort to retain our so called marquee players which should have occurred a lot earlier because Cleary is 1000 times better than Taylor.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24956
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 334 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 9:24 am

Earl wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 8:41 am
Geo. wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:27 pm
Yeah get rid of the figure head...yet the faceless men who made the decisions and control the board remain..clueless...

Oh and Go was appointed by previous Wests and Balmain Board committee and re-appointed to Chair by the current Board in March..

I'm just glad Justin Pascoe wasn;t going to allow another season to 'drift' by.. :roll:
I basically agree. I think the board has handled the situation this year really well. Getting rid of Taylor was a last ditch effort to retain our so called marquee players which should have occurred a lot earlier because Cleary is 1000 times better than Taylor.
Sorry Earl ..I left the :roll: out...fixed...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
cqtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2293
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: Rockhampton QLD
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 9:49 am

I blame the board only in as much for wanting to sell the farm to keep the 'big 4'.

This is the one big reason we are in this mess.

But I can give kudos where they are due. The board did the right thing by bringing in Cleary when they did. The biggest credit though is giving Cleary full control of the player hiring and firing. Cleary fully understood the impact of the limited salary cap available and how four seriously overpaid players would affect it.

His first act was to review these contract offers on the table and he reduced Brooks money considerably then withdrew Moses contract to concentrate on the club captain and Tedesco. Little did he know that Woods and Tedesco had already committed elsewhere. Then the brat spit his dummy and for the next 6 weeks Moses went about screwing us behind the scenes and on the field.

It has taken Cleary a few months but he has improved this team enormously. The wins haven't come too often but we are now in every game up to the final whistle. I look forward to 2018 with optimism because of the new players coming and a full preseason with Cleary.

The boards main problem was letting Isaac Moses and the big 4 control the agenda over the last 2 years. With a no nonsense and seasoned coach in control on the field, the board can finally do their job off the field.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

User avatar
underdog
Member
Member
Posts: 4799
Joined: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:25 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 9:49 am

Golly Gosh! Sexism, Balmain vs Wests, JT/Farah/Woods/Tedesco?

Shaddup the lot of ya!


Back on topic. I'm not fussed, as we have lost a few close ones this year where we were rorted by contentious decisions....

Don't reckon the knights will win another game to be honest - although looks like the Ross-Dog is their Lovett - he's out and they find form. :D

I think we'll beat the Cowboys and the Warriors, Cowboys hate Campbelltown, and I think the Leichhardt crowd and the "emotion" of Woodsy and Tedescos last Tigers game will get the boys over the top of the Warriors, who seriously will already be looking for the next plant flight out of town

I also don't think the dogs will win another game either.

If the knights win 2, and we win 2, and the dogs get pounded by enough points they will get the spoon.
Also, the Titans are in the running if we win 2, knights win 2, and they get pounded in their last 4.

It's a four horse race at the bottom.
Image

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:06 am

matchball wrote:
Fri 11 Aug, 2017 8:26 pm
The board is responsible for the worst season in our history.
Surely some heads will roll for this horrible season.

It's time to get some new people in there. Marina Go has done nothing except lunch with the players wives.
Eh! hello, they are getting new people in there. did you miss something?

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 12:06 pm

Back to "Will we win the spoon?".. well last week I wrote that I didn't think so. My thought process was based on the draw for us and the Knights and that I couldn't see them winning any more games. Well I obviously got that wrong - and after last night's effort against the Eels the Knights are going to make a fight of it and it looks like we are going down to the wire. The spoon may well come down to the last round against the Warriors.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:32 pm

underdog wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 9:49 am
Golly Gosh! Sexism, Balmain vs Wests, JT/Farah/Woods/Tedesco?

Shaddup the lot of ya!


Back on topic. I'm not fussed, as we have lost a few close ones this year where we were rorted by contentious decisions...
LMAO scold everyone for their views then turn around and blame the refs?
Shaddup alright.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:21 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm so happy to get the spoon. I want to sink to the lowest point possible.
Only then will we see accountability. The club has gone backwards no matter which way you look at it.
Cleary doesn't have a magic wand. We are a product of our management.

Heads need to roll upstairs.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by colmcd » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:02 pm

With Newcastle beating Parramatta, suddenly it does not look good for us.

Oh wow, were now on equal points differential. -162 a piece.

We have had a bad season. The player drama hurt us bad. If Taylor had stayed, maybe we would be marginally ahead... Probably in the same toilet bowl we are now just after someone closes the lid.

Either way rebuilding with Cleary is our only hope now.

15. Knights 21 5 0 16 2 370 532 -162 4 - 6 1-10 14
16. Wests Tigers 20 5 0 15 2 323 485 -162 1 - 8 4-7 14

Post Reply

Return to “Wests Tigers”