Spoon
34%

Total votes: 140

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: Spoon, will it be ours?

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:15 pm

At the end of the day, does it really matter? Doesn't change the improvement we've seen the last few months. Regardless of what happens we'll head into the off season better placed than the Dogs and Titans. Recent form is what matters, and we have run rings around those 2 sides.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:19 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:15 pm
At the end of the day, does it really matter? Doesn't change the improvement we've seen the last few months. Regardless of what happens we'll head into the off season better placed than the Dogs and Titans. Recent form is what matters, and we have run rings around those 2 sides.
You base this predictions based on what?
What you read in the papers?
Titans are NRL backed. They will come back stronger.
Dogs have endless cash flow.

We might look good on paper next year but lots of crap can happen between now and 2018 rd 1.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

The P man
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by The P man » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:22 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 9:49 am
I blame the board only in as much for wanting to sell the farm to keep the 'big 4'.

This is the one big reason we are in this mess.

But I can give kudos where they are due. The board did the right thing by bringing in Cleary when they did. The biggest credit though is giving Cleary full control of the player hiring and firing. Cleary fully understood the impact of the limited salary cap available and how four seriously overpaid players would affect it.

His first act was to review these contract offers on the table and he reduced Brooks money considerably then withdrew Moses contract to concentrate on the club captain and Tedesco. Little did he know that Woods and Tedesco had already committed elsewhere. Then the brat spit his dummy and for the next 6 weeks Moses went about screwing us behind the scenes and on the field.

It has taken Cleary a few months but he has improved this team enormously. The wins haven't come too often but we are now in every game up to the final whistle. I look forward to 2018 with optimism because of the new players coming and a full preseason with Cleary.

The boards main problem was letting Isaac Moses and the big 4 control the agenda over the last 2 years. With a no nonsense and seasoned coach in control on the field, the board can finally do their job off the field.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:22 pm

matchball wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:19 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:

We might look good on paper next year but lots of crap can happen between now and 2018 rd 1.

Tell me where the Dogs are improving next year with the same tiring pack, coach bereft of ideas, an average fullback and no established 7 or 9. It's an educated guess imo.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by matchball » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:33 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:22 pm
matchball wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Tell me where the Dogs are improving next year with the same tiring pack, coach bereft of ideas, an average fullback and no established 7 or 9. It's an educated guess imo.
All this cap mess will blow over in the off season.
You'll hear of some mediocre fines but nothing more.
Dogs will keep their talent and that will be the end of it.

People thinking they will shed half their roster are sadly mistaken..

Tacky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Tacky » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:50 pm

I can't believe im about to write this but, maybe it would be good for us to get the spoon.

If you think about it, every season we narrowly miss the spoon it kind of lets the players off the hook and gives them an upside to a poor season.

Maybe if we get the spoon it might give us extra motivation next season and just might get the players more determined and focused.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

krayola
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by krayola » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 4:13 am

We're playing pretty good footy for a last=placed team. The Knights of recent years have been well worse as were the Eels. There have been one or two poor games under Ivan but plenty of close losses and a couple of good, spirited wins. The team that truly deserves to get the spoon are the Warriors...if it would mean something for us in the form of motivation, imagine what it would mean to them!

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:15 am

matchball wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:33 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
matchball wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

I'm not talking about them losing players. I'm talking about the squad they will have. Where is the improvement going to come from?

voice of reason
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by voice of reason » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:42 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
This^. When Ivan came on board he made a point of not making wholesale changes and was just tweaking around the edges. He's a smart guy, I believe he came here knowing the board saw 2017 as honeymoon year with few expectations.

He's been able to blood some new guys who have shown themselves to be potential long term first graders. He's been able to put the Moses/Tedesco/Woods issue away and has the team looking and playing like they're enjoying the ride and the destination. The defence has improved and they're showing some real determination on their line. The new signings have provided optimism for the players, fans and sponsors and Benji's return - love him or hate him - will be a great boost for the club's profile and marketing.

In my eyes, what he's done this year has far more significance than if we get the spoon - but I still hold out hope we can climb a couple of spots.
Suffering supporter since 1967

Chicken Faced Killa
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:53 am

Spoon or not we are playing well to finish the year and have looked better especially in defence. With a off season under Ivan and some new players next year we should improve. Will we be undefeated premiers? No but we will be better than this year

rialto
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by rialto » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 10:54 am

We will do well in 2018. No more Farah problems, some good signings and MONEY!!!

tig_prmz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 6:41 pm

there's never been a tighter race for the spoon
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:03 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:15 am
matchball wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
matchball wrote:

I'm not talking about them losing players. I'm talking about the squad they will have. Where is the improvement going to come from?
Unless Frawley and Mbye become Johns and Buderus respectively they stand no chance.
Cause there's no time for fussing or fighting my friend, but baby I'm amazed at the hate that you can send;
And you... Painted my entire world, and I don't have the turpentine to clean what you have soiled, and I won't forget it.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:49 pm

We are still second most likely to collect it, but the more deserving teams (dogs, warriors and Titans) are in reach of both us and the knights. I hope we both overtake a couple of them.

Roar Power
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:55 pm

matchball wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
matchball wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Do you ever post anything that isn't glass half empty?

Fade To Black
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:58 pm

matchball wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

If somebody cannot see that we are going better than Dogs n Warriors (even before today) then they have rocks in their head, head up their blurter, or both. Painful either way.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 114 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:02 pm

You berate someone elsewhere for a 'loser mentality, and then you post this?
You must be so disappointed tonite
Sad
matchball wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:35 pm
I'm so happy to get the spoon. I want to sink to the lowest point possible.
Only then will we see accountability. The club has gone backwards no matter which way you look at it.
Cleary doesn't have a magic wand. We are a product of our management.

Heads need to roll upstairs.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by matchball » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:18 pm

Sorry Ink I can't read your posts. I have had you on my ignore list for a while now. It's probably just a short baseless reply that's riding popular opinion like all your other posts
Quit quoting my posts, your wasting your precious seconds of life with those short retorts.
You debate nothing.

Return to “Wests Tigers”