Realistic team list round 1 2018

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Realistic team list round 1 2018

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:29 am

Masterton wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:31 am
There have been calls to buy another 2nd rower, but Lawry/ET/McQueen/Aloiai/Marsters is more than enough
Second Rowers seem to break down a lot. As they play long minutes and have a lot of heavy contact. Depth is very important in the 2nd row.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

hammertime
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:34 am

I think all we need now is a quality outside back, plus some depth options to round out the numbers, then front load (if cap left) and pick up more quality next year.

Tigerdon

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:46 am

hammertime wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:34 am
I think all we need now is a quality outside back, plus some depth options to round out the numbers, then front load (if cap left) and pick up more quality next year.
When you say "next year" I think a quality purchase could be made before the season starts. No inside info. Just gut feel with the cap and the position some teams are in.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:49 am

hammertime wrote:
Pretty sure that there would have to be contract extensions etc to allow changing the amount for any year, with the Lawrence renegotiation a prime example even if the other way around, so unless there is change the club cannot front load.

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:12 am

formerguest wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:49 am
hammertime wrote:
Pretty sure that there would have to be contract extensions etc to allow changing the amount for any year, with the Lawrence renegotiation a prime example even if the other way around, so unless there is change the club cannot front load.
Yep, would take a change in a contract. But that's hardly a tough sell to a team player. We know they've done the reverse with Benji/Robbie in the past.

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:18 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:46 am
hammertime wrote:
When you say "next year" I think a quality purchase could be made before the season starts. No inside info. Just gut feel with the cap and the position some teams are in.
I actually meant for 2019 roster. My bad with the wording. But hopefully your gut is right and we add one more quality outside back before season kick-off. I certainly don't feel as though we desperately need to do so though as Cleary has created a solid squad to start the rebuild with.

If the right players aren't available. Wait till 2019.

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:19 am

No front or back loading imho - Let's play it straight for once.

TigerSJ
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:37 pm

I think what the 27 pages of posts here is clearly showing is that we finally look like a squad with a bit of depth in most positions. I like the fact that there are options now for DH with Liddle, MM, Reynolds (my choice), even Benji. We have Matulino, Packer, Twal, Sue, Grant, JJF in the front row and a reasonable selection from McQueen, ET, Aloiai, Huth, Lawrence, Masters, MCK to take on back row positions.

In the backs we look a little untested - hence someone like Rona would really strengthen us - big, strong, fast and good finisher. He looks unlikely to come across though, so we need a replacement for him as I believe we are currently short of speed - we are mostly strong but slow in the outside backs. The halves and FB positions will depend on form with Benji the only real option in the halves if Brooks and/or Reynolds are out.

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:48 pm

hammertime wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:12 am
formerguest wrote:
hammertime wrote:
Yep, would take a change in a contract. But that's hardly a tough sell to a team player. We know they've done the reverse with Benji/Robbie in the past.
Yep, nothing went wrong with those two examples :brick:

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 5:10 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:48 pm
hammertime wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:12 am
formerguest wrote:
hammertime wrote:
Yep, nothing went wrong with those two examples :brick:
Back-loading is a VERY different concept to front-loading. Surely you guys get that? What would you do if we have spare money in the cap, there are no decent players available and we've filled our roster by the transfer window mid-season?

Let me break it down. The only options are

1) Buy players we don't need or want and waste it.
2) Ignore the cap under-spend.
3) Increase players contract values for no reason.
4) Bring forward some payments so we have more capacity to make a marque signing and greater chance at a premiership for following years.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 336 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:41 pm

I always wondered if players take less each subsequent contract year..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

tigersjovini

Unread post by tigersjovini » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:39 pm

1 - tui
2 - nofa
3- suli
4 - milne
5- fonua
6 - reynolds
7 - brooks
8 - matulino
9 - liddle/mcilwrick
10 - packer
11 - taylor
12 - mcqueen
13 - aloiai

14 - marshall
15 - twal
16 - lawrence
17 - grant
18 - sue
19 - marsters
20 - eisenhuth
21 - chee-kam

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 8:27 am

Front loading and back loading are both terrible ideas IMO. As geo alluded to, as if the players ever end up taking less in future years.

The best way to use free cap space on existing players, is to upgrade the player's salary in order to convince them to sign a contract extension. E.g. If Coen Hess was being chased by other clubs for 2019, the cowboys could say we will upgrade your 2018 contract, if you sign an extension for a further X number of years. Whereas front loading would be more like the cowboys saying we'll front load your contract & pay you $600k in 2019, but you'll only get $400k in 2020/2021. If Hess were to agree to that contract for some stupid reason, the cowboys would end up with a very disgruntled player in the latter years of his contract.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Tigerdon

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 8:34 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:29 am
Masterton wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:31 am
There have been calls to buy another 2nd rower, but Lawry/ET/McQueen/Aloiai/Marsters is more than enough
Second Rowers seem to break down a lot. As they play long minutes and have a lot of heavy contact. Depth is very important in the 2nd row.
Maybe that's why we are looking at Rochow as well.
Next year, whoever starts has to play at100% because there will others putting pressure on for that 2 row position.

Same goes for the centres. Also Benji will put some pressure on the halves.

I like what Ivan is doing. It's all about the team.

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 8:58 am

Where I think Masters is a player heading in the right direction, Iam not sure if he is quick enough for the outside backs and strong enough in defence to play in the back row. A long off season could change all that.

Tigerdon

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 9:41 am

supercoach wrote:
Wed 30 Aug, 2017 8:58 am
Where I think Masters is a player heading in the right direction, Iam not sure if he is quick enough for the outside backs and strong enough in defence to play in the back row. A long off season could change all that.
Marsters has excelled under Cleary.
As has Lolohea. Grant has played more consistent.
Ava went backwards.
And the debuting forwards came into NRL seamlessly

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 10:17 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 30 Aug, 2017 9:41 am
supercoach wrote:
Wed 30 Aug, 2017 8:58 am
Marsters has excelled under Cleary.
As has Lolohea. Grant has played more consistent.
Ava went backwards.
And the debuting forwards came into NRL seamlessly
Ava never went backwards... He was shafted by Cleary!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

will1999
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by will1999 » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 4:24 pm

I wonder what the odds next year will be for each team to win the premiership I hope Warriors aren't top 4 favourites again

Return to “Season 2018”