Matt Ballin set for life after footy as injury bites

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:45 pm

MAY 25, 2017 5:51PM

SERIOUS knee injuries have limited Wests Tigers hooker Matt Ballin to just 63 minutes of game time in the last two years. But even as his body fails, the NRL veteran is well set up for life after football.
The former Queensland Origin rake is a qualified school teacher and also runs a personal training business.
Gaining qualifications outside of footy is now an essential part of playing for any club, even at Holden Cup level, under the “no work, no play” policy. Players who aren’t involved in education or work outside of footy are ineligible for team selection. However, this is a new concept and certainly wasn’t a policy back when Ballin started his NRL career in 2007, with for former Manly premiership winner taking it upon himself to earn qualifications.

“I’ve gone and educated myself, I’m a high school teacher,” Ballin said. “It took me 12 years to do a four-year degree so I can’t see why other people can’t do it.” Ballin played 2017 games for the Manly Sea Eagles, but has only managed only three games since signing with the Tigers due a succession of injuries, including two ACL tears. “Having that piece of paper allows you to seize a range of career paths,” Ballin said. “Gaining my certificate ensured I had the necessary skills to undertake further study and to start my own business in the fitness industry.”

05TIGZ

Post by 05TIGZ » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:54 pm

Will go down as one of our best signings of all time lol. 63 minutes in 2 years. Hey but atleast he is a top bloke.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:54 pm

Good guy. Definitely won't get into drug pushing like some other losers have done recently after footy cos they have nothing to fall back on.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:59 pm

The highest paid player per minute we have ever had.Manly certainly sold JT a pup there

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:59 pm

This signing didn't work out on the field but indications are that no has been a great influence behind the scenes. Hopefully things work out for him whatever he decides to do. Sometimes don't work out the way people plan/hope.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 25 May, 2017 8:05 pm

A true gentleman.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Post by 851 » Thu 25 May, 2017 8:12 pm

willow wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 7:45 pm

SERIOUS knee injuries have limited Wests Tigers hooker Matt Ballin to just 63 minutes of game time in the last two years. But even as his body fails, the NRL veteran is well set up for life after football.
The former Queensland Origin rake is a qualified school teacher and also runs a personal training business.
Gaining qualifications outside of footy is now an essential part of playing for any club, even at Holden Cup level, under the “no work, no play” policy. Players who aren’t involved in education or work outside of footy are ineligible for team selection. However, this is a new concept and certainly wasn’t a policy back when Ballin started his NRL career in 2007, with for former Manly premiership winner taking it upon himself to earn qualifications.

“I’ve gone and educated myself, I’m a high school teacher,” Ballin said. “It took me 12 years to do a four-year degree so I can’t see why other people can’t do it.” Ballin played 2017 games for the Manly Sea Eagles, but has only managed only three games since signing with the Tigers due a succession of injuries, including two ACL tears. “Having that piece of paper allows you to seize a range of career paths,” Ballin said. “Gaining my certificate ensured I had the necessary skills to undertake further study and to start my own business in the fitness industry.”
No wonder he is so busted, playing over 2000 games for manly before he got here.
Go hard or go home

05TIGZ

Post by 05TIGZ » Thu 25 May, 2017 8:15 pm

851 wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 8:12 pm
willow wrote:

No wonder he is so busted, playing over 2000 games for manly before he got here.
Lol lol. 2017 games manly got out of him and we got 63 minutes. Can we get a refund.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 25 May, 2017 8:31 pm

05TIGZ wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 8:15 pm
851 wrote:
willow wrote:

Lol lol. 2017 games manly got out of him and we got 63 minutes. Can we get a refund.
Lol lol

Where have we seen that before

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 25 May, 2017 8:41 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 7:59 pm
The highest paid player per minute we have ever had.Manly certainly sold JT a pup there
Little doubt Robbie has gotten more during Matt's time here, probably last year as well.

05TIGZ

Post by 05TIGZ » Thu 25 May, 2017 8:51 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 8:31 pm
05TIGZ wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 8:15 pm
851 wrote:
willow wrote:

Lol lol

Where have we seen that before
Sounds like you missed me lol. Nothing to argue about now JT is gone. Funny how moving JT on and the 3 divas has probably been the first time the majority of supporters are united.

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 25 May, 2017 9:13 pm

Greatest flop signing in the history of this club.
Of course he is set up. Been getting paid handsomely to sit on his arse for years.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 25 May, 2017 9:52 pm

Another Jason Taylor special.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 25 May, 2017 9:53 pm

Planing the team around Mitchel Moses was a good one too

Twmba Tigerman

Post by Twmba Tigerman » Thu 25 May, 2017 10:28 pm

I disagree with the issue of worst signing. That trophy lies with Anasta. We gave him the world and he did not deliver and continues to bag the club and supporters out on a weekly basis. I could think of another use for Ivans Bus if Braith was to hop out in front of it.
"Bleeding Gold Black and White" to the end.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Thu 25 May, 2017 10:47 pm

This guy was a player we needed years before he arrived , tigers always seem to get the player at his end or near to it , that said he Did nothing for us on the field but I hear he has been good for the club off the field , just bad luck for footy bit if he has helped in any way with in the club so be it , Yep a loss of cash cap wise , but we have been doing this loss thing for years , hope he has helped players , and we have got something from it , who knows

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 25 May, 2017 10:51 pm

The last two years have been a write off cap wise, so whatever really. Not like he was on much anyway, and he was being subsidized heavily by Manly last year. So he's really only affected us cap wise this year, and with all the other issues, paying a player 200k while he's sitting on the sideline is the least of our worries.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Thu 25 May, 2017 10:53 pm

Twmba Tigerman wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 10:28 pm
I disagree with the issue of worst signing. That trophy lies with Anasta. We gave him the world and he did not deliver and continues to bag the club and supporters out on a weekly basis. I could think of another use for Ivans Bus if Braith was to hop out in front of it.
Agree 100%, Waste Anasta was the biggest tool ever to sign with us. Just wish he would lose his voice so I dont have to listen to him on Fox!
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!