Matt Ballin set for life after footy as injury bites

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 32946
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Re: Matt Ballin set for life after footy as injury bites

Post by willow » Fri 26 May, 2017 11:41 am

Give it a rest guys. None of you whingeing will change the fact he has a contract for this year. Do any of you seriously think he will be re-signed? No? Didn't think so.


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29169
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Fri 26 May, 2017 1:26 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing Matt bought into the Coaching Staff in some capacity in 2018...Shame that injury cruelled his stint with us...

As a bloke the whole squad and staff appreciated his influence...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
2041
Member
Member
Posts: 1076
Joined: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm

Post by 2041 » Fri 26 May, 2017 1:45 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 11:27 am
everett8 wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 10:56 am
Didn't we buy Scott Prince after he had a horror run with injuries and no other club wanted him.

He was one of the keys to the 2005 premiership including being the captain.

Ballin is a class act and players we need around the joint, but we needed more game time.

I also thought it is hard putting Geoff Daneila on the list. He was unlucky with injuries and too small to play NRL but gave it 100% each time he played.
Exactly. Having previously had injuries is not necessarily a black mark against further injury, esp if they check out fit in a pre-contract medical.

Prince had some super serious injuries before joining us, esp that broken leg from a Steve Price charge down.

Benji did his shoulder how many times before going on to win the Golden Boot award?

James Tedesco has had plenty of injuries himself, he's missed 53/133 = 39.84% of potential games (including 1 Origin so far) and yet strangely clubs continue to line up to sign him.

Idris has done his ACL again, same knee, was this "bound to happen"?

You can't say "he had injuries before, bad decision". It just doesn't work like that.
Actually you can. The greatest predictor of future injuries is past injuries. Second is age. So two black marks against Ballin. The third, and most telling of all, is that the Tigers weren't signing a player with a history of knee injuries: they were signing a player with a history of knee injuries and a current, unrehabbed knee injury. Balling could not have passed a medical as he was recovering from ACL surgery when signed, in fact he was never expected to debut until some point during the 2016 season (which became round 10 or similar).

Idris was a lottery ticket, but at least he was uninjured at the time of signing. Ballin was pencilled in to be the starting hooker despite there having to be significant doubt over whether he would ever be able to play regularly. That's why the signing was objectively terrible.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5909
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Fri 26 May, 2017 1:45 pm

willow wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 11:41 am
Give it a rest guys. None of you whingeing will change the fact he has a contract for this year. Do any of you seriously think he will be re-signed? No? Didn't think so.
Also doesn't change the fact that the guy who brought him in lost his job, nor the fact that Tigers have plenty of dud signings over 18 seasons, so why not just take it as one that didn't work out, wish him well, move on, right?

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3614
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Fri 26 May, 2017 4:55 pm

He has been unlucky with injuries, but not much is coming out of the clubs pocket. The young hookers in the club have spoken positively about the guidance and support he has provided them.
I would prefer that he be given a role at the club rather than another busted old hooker who is still clinging to glory days and has shown he is willing to put the boot into the club


LCA
Member
Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Liverpool

Post by LCA » Fri 26 May, 2017 5:33 pm

Hmmm... not sure how a combination of high school teaching and personal trainer will work out for him. I assume he will teach in the non-govt sector? Lots of creative teaching appointments with that shonky lot.

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Fri 26 May, 2017 6:46 pm

Twmba Tigerman wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 10:28 pm
I disagree with the issue of worst signing. That trophy lies with Anasta. We gave him the world and he did not deliver and continues to bag the club and supporters out on a weekly basis. I could think of another use for Ivans Bus if Braith was to hop out in front of it.
Yes couldn't agree more. It's one thing to not be able to contribute anything at all to the team because of a prolonged and recurring injury keeping you on the sideline and quite another thing not contributing anything at all to the team in 2 seasons of actually playing with them!

And to think I used to like the guy, I thought he was a decent sort of bloke, but after hearing the way he publicly slags us and his ex-wife, I think my character assessment of him was way off - he's just a grubby, bitter Ahole!

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:03 pm

westy81 wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 8:40 am
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 7:59 pm
The highest paid player per minute we have ever had.Manly certainly sold JT a pup there
From my understanding we didn't pay him a cent as he signed a 2 year deal at manly then 2 months later told him they didn't want him
Manly paid a high percentage on his first year but zero for this year that was the agreement

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22142
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:05 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:03 pm
westy81 wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 8:40 am
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 7:59 pm
The highest paid player per minute we have ever had.Manly certainly sold JT a pup there
From my understanding we didn't pay him a cent as he signed a 2 year deal at manly then 2 months later told him they didn't want him
Manly paid a high percentage on his first year but zero for this year that was the agreement
How much is on this year?

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:07 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 6:46 pm
Twmba Tigerman wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 10:28 pm
I disagree with the issue of worst signing. That trophy lies with Anasta. We gave him the world and he did not deliver and continues to bag the club and supporters out on a weekly basis. I could think of another use for Ivans Bus if Braith was to hop out in front of it.
Yes couldn't agree more. It's one thing to not be able to contribute anything at all to the team because of a prolonged and recurring injury keeping you on the sideline and quite another thing not contributing anything at all to the team in 2 seasons of actually playing with them!

And to think I used to like the guy, I thought he was a decent sort of bloke, but after hearing the way he publicly slags us and his ex-wife, I think my character assessment of him was way off - he's just a grubby, bitter Ahole!
Settle down Spud, its just a game mate. You really need to get a new perspective on life....

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5411
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:11 pm

Spud's right though. Anasta is a tapeworm. Just a pity he sat in our clubs' guts for a few seasons.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:14 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:11 pm
Spud's right though. Anasta is a tapeworm. Just a pity he sat in our clubs' guts for a few seasons.
Haha yeah Im just quoting him back to himself from a previous post he made. Anasta and Tedesco are both scum.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:14 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:05 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:03 pm
westy81 wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 8:40 am
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 7:59 pm
The highest paid player per minute we have ever had.Manly certainly sold JT a pup there
From my understanding we didn't pay him a cent as he signed a 2 year deal at manly then 2 months later told him they didn't want him
Manly paid a high percentage on his first year but zero for this year that was the agreement
How much is on this year?
Whatever we signed him for. All my info came from Manly i was told when he came that he was finished as a footballer Manly wanted to keep him but the medical assessment was so poor they decided to offload him

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:24 pm

stryker wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:07 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 6:46 pm
Twmba Tigerman wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 10:28 pm
I disagree with the issue of worst signing. That trophy lies with Anasta. We gave him the world and he did not deliver and continues to bag the club and supporters out on a weekly basis. I could think of another use for Ivans Bus if Braith was to hop out in front of it.
Yes couldn't agree more. It's one thing to not be able to contribute anything at all to the team because of a prolonged and recurring injury keeping you on the sideline and quite another thing not contributing anything at all to the team in 2 seasons of actually playing with them!

And to think I used to like the guy, I thought he was a decent sort of bloke, but after hearing the way he publicly slags us and his ex-wife, I think my character assessment of him was way off - he's just a grubby, bitter Ahole!
Settle down Spud, its just a game mate. You really need to get a new perspective on life....

Hahaha yeah you got me! Anasta is still an Ahole though :lol:

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22142
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:24 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:14 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:05 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:03 pm
westy81 wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 8:40 am


From my understanding we didn't pay him a cent as he signed a 2 year deal at manly then 2 months later told him they didn't want him
Manly paid a high percentage on his first year but zero for this year that was the agreement
How much is on this year?
Whatever we signed him for. All my info came from Manly i was told when he came that he was finished as a footballer Manly wanted to keep him but the medical assessment was so poor they decided to offload him
My point is, would he be on any more than Idris? Idris has played about 4 games than did his ACL. Where are the pitch forks for him? I got no issue if people think he's been a dud signing, in regards to on field input, that's obvious. But its bleedingly obvious that a lot of his critics have a personal dislike for him having been a pawn in the game between Farah and Taylor. At least one of his critics on here believe he was even in cahoots with JT. Yet he went out of his way to phone Farah as soon as he signed. I know some are sick of hearing it, but he is a good guy, which is why i don't get all the death riding he's gotten for the last 2 seasons. Because he isn't a trouble maker, he isn't a backstabber, he's a consummate professional. And people have it in for him?

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:28 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:14 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:05 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:03 pm
westy81 wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 8:40 am


From my understanding we didn't pay him a cent as he signed a 2 year deal at manly then 2 months later told him they didn't want him
Manly paid a high percentage on his first year but zero for this year that was the agreement
How much is on this year?
Whatever we signed him for. All my info came from Manly i was told when he came that he was finished as a footballer Manly wanted to keep him but the medical assessment was so poor they decided to offload him
This is the reason he was the worst signing ever by this club. It made no sense at the time and has been proven even more so over time. The bloke was a tactical signing to pressure the incumbent number 9 out and its as simple as that..waste of cap space.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:37 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:24 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:14 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:05 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Fri 26 May, 2017 7:03 pm


Manly paid a high percentage on his first year but zero for this year that was the agreement
How much is on this year?
Whatever we signed him for. All my info came from Manly i was told when he came that he was finished as a footballer Manly wanted to keep him but the medical assessment was so poor they decided to offload him
My point is, would he be on any more than Idris? Idris has played about 4 games than did his ACL. Where are the pitch forks for him? I got no issue if people think he's been a dud signing, in regards to on field input, that's obvious. But its bleedingly obvious that a lot of his critics have a personal dislike for him having been a pawn in the game between Farah and Taylor. At least one of his critics on here believe he was even in cahoots with JT. Yet he went out of his way to phone Farah as soon as he signed. I know some are sick of hearing it, but he is a good guy, which is why i don't get all the death riding he's gotten for the last 2 seasons. Because he isn't a trouble maker, he isn't a backstabber, he's a consummate professional. And people have it in for him?
To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever stated he is a backstabber or a troublemaker but he was signed to be a player at our club unfortunately this has never happened in some ways he reminds me of the Cayless signing that Sheens made

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:42 pm

Id give Idris the size 11 up the bum as well. The injury prone and those who are still relying on their "potential" should be invited to secure futures elsewhere.

Post Reply