Gus' idea about concentrating on South West Sydney

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tiger Watto
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Gus' idea about concentrating on South West Sydney

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:43 pm

The sooner NRL Franchises realise they are the Big Show and stop wasting money on specific junior development areas or non-relevant competitions based on Traditions, the sooner they will flourish. History and Traditions simply cloud the game from growing at the elite level. Those areas are for the CRL, NSWRL & QRL to operate and run like they have since 1908.

We need more franchises operating like the Melbourne Model. They are a franchise operating in one of the least RL areas, but are the most successful club over the past 15 years. Yes there talent is grown and nurtured within the regions they are playing junior football, but they use the whole of NSW and Queensland, plus other state competitions as their 'Development Area'.

I suppose they see themselves as a National Franchise, instead of a Local Team?!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

diedpretty
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:01 pm

Ed Reschs wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:30 pm
And so it begins tomorrow in the telegraph....rothfield writes one Sydney team has to go...no guesses as to who it will be if and when it happens.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... b8bd3e1d69

Here is the article for what its worth - and my comment to Slothfield.

How about you get your facts straight - Wests Tigers never borrowed money from the NRL - the loan was to Balmain to cover their share of the JV costs - Wests Ashfield had previously offered to cover Balmains costs but they refused and took the loan from the NRL. When they were unable to repay the loan Wests Ashfield covered the debt with the NRL hence getting 100% ownership of Wests Tigers - Wests Ashfield magnanimously gave Balmain a 25% share but no voting rights. But hey Phil why let facts get in the way of your papers weekly Wests Tigers bashing.

wt00
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by wt00 » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:16 pm

What a surprise.. Slothfield nominates the Tigers to go. I nominate the sharks to move out of Sydney.
The star of the team is the team.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:20 pm

The agenda is unbelievable.

gallagher
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm not gonna read his article but if a team was going to be punted it would be us for sure.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:24 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:21 pm
I'm not gonna read his article but if a team was going to be punted it would be us for sure.
Why? If we're financially viable (which we are), we're fine.

diedpretty
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:27 pm

Yea the guy is an idiot - he doesn't actually name us but its pretty obvious - and what does he base this on - his false assumption that WT owed the NRL a debt recently repaid by Wests Ashfield and because only 6000 people turned up on Friday night. St George can stay because they have a good brand name - they are in debt up to their eyeballs and no money to pay.

ALX22
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ALX22 » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:29 pm

An equal focus on both zones should be the way to go.

More assistance to Western Suburbs Magpies is needed in junior development to limit the poachings by the Bulldogs.

gallagher
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:30 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:24 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:21 pm
Why? If we're financially viable (which we are), we're fine.

How financial are we? Just enough to make up the numbers but never really competing with the big clubs?

helmesy
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by helmesy » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:32 pm

Premiership or no premiership the Sharks are the ones who should have been shifted to the Gold Coast instead of starting a new 'franchise'.

Why? Annexed on all sides by StGeorge Illawarra and with a brand that has very little cut through.

Credit to them for a good couple of years on the field (which they purchased and didn't build) but they are no powerhouse that shouldn't be considered strongly for relocation, removal.

Needaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Needaname » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:39 pm

To be honest. From an outside perspective you have to consider the fact that because we have chosen not to encapsulate the south west corridor with the preference of remaining in the inner city area, surrounded by other teams that if we do not manage to get a guarantee and funding for the Concord COE that we've all but wrote a ticket to be relocated anywhere. I understand why the club wants to do this, so they can become a powerhouse club with a recognisable brand with an aim to grow nationally and in reality that's what we know we need but in doing so we are throwing all our eggs in one basket and you have to wonder whether it would be that hard or different to adjust for the fan base (already so diverse) if the NRL was to force Wests Tigers to relocate.

Needaname

Unread post by Needaname » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:44 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:01 pm
Ed Reschs wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:30 pm
And so it begins tomorrow in the telegraph....rothfield writes one Sydney team has to go...no guesses as to who it will be if and when it happens.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... b8bd3e1d69

Here is the article for what its worth - and my comment to Slothfield.

How about you get your facts straight - Wests Tigers never borrowed money from the NRL - the loan was to Balmain to cover their share of the JV costs - Wests Ashfield had previously offered to cover Balmains costs but they refused and took the loan from the NRL. When they were unable to repay the loan Wests Ashfield covered the debt with the NRL hence getting 100% ownership of Wests Tigers - Wests Ashfield magnanimously gave Balmain a 25% share but no voting rights. But hey Phil why let facts get in the way of your papers weekly Wests Tigers bashing.
I'm not signing up for the Telecrap,
Could someone post the content into this thread?

helmesy
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by helmesy » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:47 pm

Needaname wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:39 pm
To be honest. From an outside perspective you have to consider the fact that because we have chosen not to encapsulate the south west corridor with the preference of remaining in the inner city area, surrounded by other teams that if we do not manage to get a guarantee and funding for the Concord COE that we've all but wrote a ticket to be relocated anywhere. I understand why the club wants to do this, so they can become a powerhouse club with a recognisable brand with an aim to grow nationally and in reality that's what we know we need but in doing so we are throwing all our eggs in one basket and you have to wonder whether it would be that hard or different to adjust for the fan base (already so diverse) if the NRL was to force Wests Tigers to relocate.
We've already merged, we won't have to relocate.

There's no good reason why we would be any more of a candidate than South, Bulldogs, Parra, Sharks.

We have money, good membership and a very strong brand.

Don't get blinded by a lack of success on the field, that's irrelevant.

Needaname

Unread post by Needaname » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:23 pm

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.
We've merged yes, which means we have got a joint identity, or a lack of one all together from another perspective.
What I'm saying is we are damned if we do damned if we don't.
And what I am saying is if we don't get the go ahead to set up base in concord.
We have two options.
Embrace the very history of these too clubs and build an us vs them mentality embracing a locally enthusiastic member base or
Create a new identity and move away from the fabric of the two historic sides that keep us hamstrung and grow a nationally recognised brand that people other than the diehards can grow to love.
The first option guarentees we remain in Sydney but we would be no more recognised and successful nationally then the sharks or Penrith.
The second option leaves us vulnerable to relocation but the possibility of having a club as renown as Brisbane or Melbourne is very attractive.
I feel the fact we have merged makes us more vulnerable than the Bulldogs, Souths, Parramatta that all have such a rich history and one Brand that is iconic with many ledgends that still identify with their club.

Toolie_24
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Toolie_24 » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 9:30 am

I think a proper full seating 25k stadium is needed first maybe play 5 games Pirtek, 5 C'Town and 2 Leichhardt...plus trial at Leichhardt
Keep In Touch With Yourself

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 9:35 am

Too many NRL teams in Sydney?

Gotta laugh when people say we're safe because we have already merged.

How successful have we really been since the JV? One premiership but how many years have we made the finals since 2000? No wooden spoons yet but came mighty close a few times. Nah, we've merged so we are safe as houses, lol.

NRL supposedly thinking of having no salary cap to see which Sydney clubs sink first? What if it's not Sydney clubs that go broke? Titans and Newcastle are both being propped up by the NRL and St George have owed millions for years now.

Ok, let's get serious.
Firstly, get rid of TPAs and let's see how ALL teams manage with just the salary cap funds. Make it clear that any salary cap cheating will mean the revoking of the NRL licence.

Right now we are in the crosshairs because of our on and off field performances. But let's be fair, not long ago Parramatta could have been dumped for unconscionable conduct. Canterbury and the Storm have been caught massively and deliberately cheating the cap.
Souths were actually dumped out of the league. Don't be fooled by the court case they won. Read the full outcome. The NRL could have appealed that decision and good money said that they would have been successful too.

However, if it was to become open slather, survival of the fittest then all clubs would still hang around some just wouldn't ever be successful. It would be the top 4 or 5 clubs winning every year. Much like now I suppose, lol.

What I do know is that the NRL commission is not independent enough to make the right calls anyway.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 9:41 am

Toolie_24 wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 9:30 am
I think a proper full seating 25k stadium is needed first maybe play 5 games Pirtek, 5 C'Town and 2 Leichhardt...plus trial at Leichhardt
Tool, you do know that it actually costs Wests Tigers money, big money, ($100K I believe) to play at Leichardt and Campbelltown?

ANZ actually pay us to play there. Do the math.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

magpiecol
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:19 pm

A couple of alternatives to relocating or sacking one of the Sydney clubs.

1. Exit the Gold Coast. They have done nothing since coming in and are deeply in debt.

2. Merge two other Sydney teams. The combinations are endless.

Return to “Wests Tigers”