Gus' idea about concentrating on South West Sydney

Wests Tigers Discussion
Magpie Magic
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Gus' idea about concentrating on South West Sydney

Unread post by Magpie Magic » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 5:45 pm

No longer that interested in juniors after losing Tedesco,Moses and Woods. We really promoted the WT as a pathway for both Balmain and Wests juniors and that was the result.
For me I'm only interested in the Wests identity in the WT and hope that the south west come on board. I'm sure for Balmain fans just wantan identity in the WT too. As for new fans well they want to know us as we are. TheWests board also want this so all is good.
Lets face it juniors don't work. We got shafted by the big 3 and looking at the top clubs their not really fused. If our juniors want to play for us welcome otherwise the door is there.
Enough.

west#67

Unread post by west#67 » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 7:34 pm

Would be curious with people in the know why West Tigers did not take up Campbelltown or Liverpool councils offer to help fund a Centre of Excellence 3 yrs ago when both councils submitted proposals, that would have made us more viable in the years proceeding its completion.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by oldprop » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:21 pm

This is a distraction. Who cares about juniors. I want a team that wins games.
Need more props.

Bengaliwolf
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bengaliwolf » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 8:11 am

cqtiger wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 9:41 am
Toolie_24 wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 9:30 am
I think a proper full seating 25k stadium is needed first maybe play 5 games Pirtek, 5 C'Town and 2 Leichhardt...plus trial at Leichhardt
Tool, you do know that it actually costs Wests Tigers money, big money, ($100K I believe) to play at Leichardt and Campbelltown?

ANZ actually pay us to play there. Do the math.
They can easily get this figure back from ticket sales, especially when they're charging $30.00 for general admission like like were on Friday night. If they can't afford to play at a ground like Campbelltown every week then perhaps our financial situation is worse than we think.

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:07 am

Bengaliwolf wrote:
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 8:11 am
cqtiger wrote:
Toolie_24 wrote:
I think a proper full seating 25k stadium is needed first maybe play 5 games Pirtek, 5 C'Town and 2 Leichhardt...plus trial at Leichhardt
Tool, you do know that it actually costs Wests Tigers money, big money, ($100K I believe) to play at Leichardt and Campbelltown?

They can easily get this figure back from ticket sales, especially when they're charging $30.00 for general admission like like were on Friday night. If they can't afford to play at a ground like Campbelltown every week then perhaps our financial situation is worse than we think.
You don't know much about business do you.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

colmcd
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by colmcd » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:19 am

oldprop wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:21 pm
This is a distraction. Who cares about juniors. I want a team that wins games.
Because we need a team that wins games.

Juniors give us depth. We may loose them and I believe that the recent turmoil guaranteed us loosing the big 4, combined with a lack of focus.

There are other bigger problems that have impacted our first grade team. But without a strong Junior team to back us up we have been found more desperate this season then before.

Abraham
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Abraham » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:33 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:39 am
If Ctown has never gotten behind the JV, the JV should take some responsibility for that. You can't base yourselves in the inner city for 17 years and only show up in the area for 4 times a year then go back to the inner city. Not enough is done to engage the community. We have people in this thread calling us an inner city club. How is that supposed to endear to the McArthur region?
So what was Campbelltown's excuse for not embracing the Magpies for the 2 decades they were located in the region?

They played 12 games a year at CO, they trained there, built a Leagues Club, did all the school and community stuff. And they still got 5,000 to every home game.

The answer is simple. Its called winning.

When a team is winning every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork. Western Suburbs weren't successful for most of the time they were at Campbelltown, and the Wests Tigers haven't been either.

I guarantee you if we were a consistent top-4 side every second person at Macarthur Square would be wearing a Tigers jersey and there would be no-one complaining about lack of identity and the West being abandoned. That only happens when you come bottom of the ladder year after year.

Give the people a winning team and they won't care where they train or play, they just want a winning side they can be proud of. You would be amazed at how quickly these "issues" suddenly disappear when a team is consistently successful.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 12:31 pm

Everybody loves a winner! we start winning and the media will move onto the next one.

Slothfield posted in one of his articles that he is a NSW reporter (ha reporter) and that the majority of his readers are based in NSW.

We are a NSW club that has one of the biggest membership and supporter groups. When he writes an article about a sydney club it gets read. When he has a target like us he writes rubbish to incite a response and for people to click and read his comments. If we were in the top 8 he would be writing about another club.

The only club he doesn't bag are the Sharks - that just shows he doesn't have a moral compass and that his articles are biased.

A true reporter is unbiased, writes straight shooting articles based on fact and may end with a question to create discussion or feedback. he does nothing of the sort.

He is required to write an article daily to remain relevant, so any dribble will do.

He is a Remora, a sucker fish that sticks on to big fish feeding on their scraps.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 25 times

Unread post by oldprop » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 12:45 pm

Abraham wrote:
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:33 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:39 am
If Ctown has never gotten behind the JV, the JV should take some responsibility for that. You can't base yourselves in the inner city for 17 years and only show up in the area for 4 times a year then go back to the inner city. Not enough is done to engage the community. We have people in this thread calling us an inner city club. How is that supposed to endear to the McArthur region?
So what was Campbelltown's excuse for not embracing the Magpies for the 2 decades they were located in the region?

They played 12 games a year at CO, they trained there, built a Leagues Club, did all the school and community stuff. And they still got 5,000 to every home game.

The answer is simple. Its called winning.

When a team is winning every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork. Western Suburbs weren't successful for most of the time they were at Campbelltown, and the Wests Tigers haven't been either.

I guarantee you if we were a consistent top-4 side every second person at Macarthur Square would be wearing a Tigers jersey and there would be no-one complaining about lack of identity and the West being abandoned. That only happens when you come bottom of the ladder year after year.

Give the people a winning team and they won't care where they train or play, they just want a winning side they can be proud of. You would be amazed at how quickly these "issues" suddenly disappear when a team is consistently successful.
Yep, fully agree. We need to win games. Anything else is a distraction from our core objective. Forget juniors, forget grounds. If we are at least competitive people will come to the games and wear our colours with pride. I can't wear my WT cap to the shops anymore without some smarties having a go.
Need more props.

Bengaliwolf
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bengaliwolf » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 1:47 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:07 am
You don't know much about business do you.
I'm not sure why this comment. You were saying it costs tigers to play at Campbelltown and Leichhardt. If their business is purely about raising revenue from games then it makes total sense to play out of homebush. I suspect that the club raises the majority of it's funding for elsewhere however.

My argument is around branding. If the club were to establish itself in the huge growth area of the Macarthur, there would be investment to make but the financial benefit would surpass any fee or payment for using a stadium.

Needaname
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by Needaname » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 1:58 pm

A lot of the Tigers corporate support comes from inner west Sydney. If we relocate to the SW we run the risk of losing this. I'll say it again. The club does not want to be a regional club in an area of Sydney but a central club that encompasses all of Sydney, hence the positioning of Concord 'central'

Spook
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Spook » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 5:59 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:43 pm
The sooner NRL Franchises realise they are the Big Show and stop wasting money on specific junior development areas or non-relevant competitions based on Traditions, the sooner they will flourish. History and Traditions simply cloud the game from growing at the elite level. Those areas are for the CRL, NSWRL & QRL to operate and run like they have since 1908.

We need more franchises operating like the Melbourne Model. They are a franchise operating in one of the least RL areas, but are the most successful club over the past 15 years. Yes there talent is grown and nurtured within the regions they are playing junior football, but they use the whole of NSW and Queensland, plus other state competitions as their 'Development Area'.

I suppose they see themselves as a National Franchise, instead of a Local Team?!
I don't think the CRL have been running anything since 1908 as it was only formed in the 1930's. Balmain was the first junior league formed in 1908 thanks to a lot of work by their first grade captain Robert Graves. In Sydney at least, junior teams are governed directly by their or another senior club, you won't see any NSWRL badges on their jerseys. Not sure how the Melbourne model will work across the board, no grassroots football fostered by the clubs will result in certain death of rugby league. Even now the CRL doesn't directly operate it's junior teams, the city clubs are replaced with the country "Group" organisations. Maybe it is actually a loss of History and Traditions since the Super League war that has hindered rather than helped rugby league in general, and the Wests Tigers in particular.
As for the NRL being the "Big Show", we used to have descent 3rd grade & Reserve grade competition games on prior to the 1st grade. I think the product as a whole has slipped back further each time they "improve" the game. This wouldn't be so bad if once they saw they made a mistake they rectified it, but they will never admit they made a mistake.

Squaddy

Unread post by Squaddy » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 8:17 pm

Any debate on us being relocated is bogus simply sue to the finances.

We are coming last and one of the worst teams in the competition this year.

Yet Ch9 have selected 4/6 of our last games to be televised. Just think about that, it's not because they care about television g quality footy. It's because they know we're a ratings machine.

Getting rid of us would be one of the dumbest things the NRL could do, and the TV networks would never let it happen.

Snake
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Snake » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 8:44 pm

Needaname wrote:
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 1:58 pm
A lot of the Tigers corporate support comes from inner west Sydney. If we relocate to the SW we run the risk of losing this. I'll say it again. The club does not want to be a regional club in an area of Sydney but a central club that encompasses all of Sydney, hence the positioning of Concord 'central'
Well said ,as we know it is all about money ! I love it ALL of Sydney ,I get the feeling that some are realising that the sleeping giant is getting its act together and there not happy hence the media barrage .

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 8:56 pm

Spook wrote:
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 5:59 pm
Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:43 pm
The sooner NRL Franchises realise they are the Big Show and stop wasting money on specific junior development areas or non-relevant competitions based on Traditions, the sooner they will flourish. History and Traditions simply cloud the game from growing at the elite level. Those areas are for the CRL, NSWRL & QRL to operate and run like they have since 1908.

We need more franchises operating like the Melbourne Model. They are a franchise operating in one of the least RL areas, but are the most successful club over the past 15 years. Yes there talent is grown and nurtured within the regions they are playing junior football, but they use the whole of NSW and Queensland, plus other state competitions as their 'Development Area'.

I suppose they see themselves as a National Franchise, instead of a Local Team?!
I don't think the CRL have been running anything since 1908 as it was only formed in the 1930's. Balmain was the first junior league formed in 1908 thanks to a lot of work by their first grade captain Robert Graves. In Sydney at least, junior teams are governed directly by their or another senior club, you won't see any NSWRL badges on their jerseys. Not sure how the Melbourne model will work across the board, no grassroots football fostered by the clubs will result in certain death of rugby league. Even now the CRL doesn't directly operate it's junior teams, the city clubs are replaced with the country "Group" organisations. Maybe it is actually a loss of History and Traditions since the Super League war that has hindered rather than helped rugby league in general, and the Wests Tigers in particular.
As for the NRL being the "Big Show", we used to have descent 3rd grade & Reserve grade competition games on prior to the 1st grade. I think the product as a whole has slipped back further each time they "improve" the game. This wouldn't be so bad if once they saw they made a mistake they rectified it, but they will never admit they made a mistake.
Bloody Oath... Bring Back the Marching Bands
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Toolie_24
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Toolie_24 » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 4:29 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Toolie_24 wrote:

If we get a certain crowd we make money but you cant take the teams away from the traditional grounds hence why Pirtek would be 5 games you do the maths
Keep In Touch With Yourself

prattenparkchild
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by prattenparkchild » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 5:14 pm

Why would we use Pirtek Stadium when its complete? Its Parra's traditional home ground and will continue to be when reconstructed. Its never had anything to do with Wests Tigers / Wests Magpies or Balmain Tigers. Is Leichhardt Oval being donwgraded or just too expensive to use anymore?

gallagher
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by gallagher » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 5:26 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Mon 04 Sep, 2017 5:14 pm
Why would we use Pirtek Stadium when its complete? Its Parra's traditional home ground and will continue to be when reconstructed. Its never had anything to do with Wests Tigers / Wests Magpies or Balmain Tigers. Is Leichhardt Oval being donwgraded or just too expensive to use anymore?
It will be a brand new 30k stadium in the west. We are idiots if we don't play there.

Return to “Wests Tigers”