Esan Marsters

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
Milky
Member
Member
Posts: 5091
Joined: Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:08 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Esan Marsters

Unread post by Milky » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:35 am

What is his position?

From what I have seen he doesn't look out of place in the centres, but be could also be anything in the backrow...

At this stage I would be looking at a Marsters/Suli centre combination for next season, but in saying that we also have Milne joining the club.

Nice to finally see some competition for spots.


The Old Fox
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun 09 Jul, 2017 5:33 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by The Old Fox » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:47 am

Would be a super utility player of the bench, I don't think we should carry two hookers next year with the roster we have..Masters is versatile enough to slip in anywhere.

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2754
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:54 am

i still think his best position is backrow, but yes bench utility at worst next year.

User avatar
clifferdSH
Member
Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:46 pm

Unread post by clifferdSH » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:55 am

Impact forward off the bench with the option to fill in for injury if needed

User avatar
Roar Power
Member
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 6:16 am
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:56 am

Milky wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:35 am
What is his position?

From what I have seen he doesn't look out of place in the centres, but be could also be anything in the backrow...

At this stage I would be looking at a Marsters/Suli centre combination for next season, but in saying that we also have Milne joining the club.

Nice to finally see some competition for spots.
If Rona joins the club, he might also end up in the centres potentially...


User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10445
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 9:01 am

Had a great game yesterday, and I can only see improvement at Centre for now. Will more than likely end up in the Backrow, but that is 2 years off in my view. I think once a decision is made to switch him to Backrow, he should be given the right preparation of a full off-season before moving him.

Milne doesnt deserve a walk-up start for 2018... We need to make him earn it!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 1857
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by Telltails » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 9:03 am

Looking the goods to me. Great ball runner - definite
keeper for mine.

User avatar
Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Demps » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:32 am

We've been calling for him to get a chance and when he did, he made the most of it.
Im a fan.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:36 am

Ultimately he doesn't have the pace to play centre but he can do a decent job there as he's solid defensively and can be a handful running the ball. We don't have any impact back rowers so he could be one off the bench. Another off season will do him the world of good.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:38 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 9:01 am
Had a great game yesterday, and I can only see improvement at Centre for now. Will more than likely end up in the Backrow, but that is 2 years off in my view. I think once a decision is made to switch him to Backrow, he should be given the right preparation of a full off-season before moving him.

Milne doesnt deserve a walk-up start for 2018... We need to make him earn it!
Yeah, not sure what Ivan's plans are though, if he's desperate to shore up the second row now he may bring him on early. With McQueen as an unknown quantity following his surgery and Lawrence seemingly always injured we're quite lean on competitive second rowers. We don't even know if ET is going to take up his option.

Ivan seems a patient man, he may wait it out with Esan, but who knows.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1652
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm
Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 80 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:00 am

Centre for the next 2 years then transition to secondrow.

everett8
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed 08 Mar, 2017 12:27 pm
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by everett8 » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:38 am

I have been impressed with his development this year. Great when a young player is given a chance and takes it with both hands.

If we do not secure Rona and Kevin moves on why can't we go for a backline of

Lolohea
Nofoaluma
Marsters
Suli
Milne
Reynolds
Brooks

The backline might lack some pace but it would have some size about them and would help our forwards out from kick returns.

Happy for Marsters to play off the bench as I don't believe we should have a hooker on the bench.

As other Forum members have pointed out McQueen has undergone a serious neck operation and Lawrence has lost time through injuries so we may require Aloiai, Marsters, MCK to play second rower during the season. There is talk Taylor may sign with the Warriors.

Bench in 2018

Twal (prop and lock rotation)
Sue/Grant (prop rotation)
Aloiai (prop and second row rotation)
Marsters (backs and forwards)

Additional players

Michael Chee Kam (played well on the weekend)
J J Felise
Matt McIlwrick (if LIddle wins the hooker battle for 2018)

User avatar
kh_canada
Member
Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by kh_canada » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:57 pm

everett8 wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:38 am
I have been impressed with his development this year. Great when a young player is given a chance and takes it with both hands.

If we do not secure Rona and Kevin moves on why can't we go for a backline of

Lolohea
Nofoaluma
Marsters
Suli
Milne
Reynolds
Brooks

The backline might lack some pace but it would have some size about them and would help our forwards out from kick returns.

Happy for Marsters to play off the bench as I don't believe we should have a hooker on the bench.

As other Forum members have pointed out McQueen has undergone a serious neck operation and Lawrence has lost time through injuries so we may require Aloiai, Marsters, MCK to play second rower during the season. There is talk Taylor may sign with the Warriors.

Bench in 2018

Twal (prop and lock rotation)
Sue/Grant (prop rotation)
Aloiai (prop and second row rotation)
Marsters (backs and forwards)

Additional players

Michael Chee Kam (played well on the weekend)
J J Felise
Matt McIlwrick (if LIddle wins the hooker battle for 2018)
MWZ? I would say Milne will start on the bench first thing in 2018. Nonetheless we should have great depth in the backline come next year.

User avatar
avocadoontoast
Member
Member
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Parts Unknown
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by avocadoontoast » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 1:02 pm

kh_canada wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:57 pm
everett8 wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:38 am
I have been impressed with his development this year. Great when a young player is given a chance and takes it with both hands.

If we do not secure Rona and Kevin moves on why can't we go for a backline of

Lolohea
Nofoaluma
Marsters
Suli
Milne
Reynolds
Brooks

The backline might lack some pace but it would have some size about them and would help our forwards out from kick returns.

Happy for Marsters to play off the bench as I don't believe we should have a hooker on the bench.

As other Forum members have pointed out McQueen has undergone a serious neck operation and Lawrence has lost time through injuries so we may require Aloiai, Marsters, MCK to play second rower during the season. There is talk Taylor may sign with the Warriors.

Bench in 2018

Twal (prop and lock rotation)
Sue/Grant (prop rotation)
Aloiai (prop and second row rotation)
Marsters (backs and forwards)

Additional players

Michael Chee Kam (played well on the weekend)
J J Felise
Matt McIlwrick (if LIddle wins the hooker battle for 2018)
MWZ? I would say Milne will start on the bench first thing in 2018. Nonetheless we should have great depth in the backline come next year.
Fonua? I would argue he'd be ahead of a few mentioned above...

ALX22
Member
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon 25 Jan, 2016 2:29 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ALX22 » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 1:12 pm

Enjoyed watching Esan take his opportunity. Proving that he belongs in the NRL. Well done.

User avatar
wt00
Member
Member
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by wt00 » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 1:35 pm

Glad he got the opportunity and he's grabbed it with both hands. Think he could play the utility role off the bench but he doesn't look out of place at centre.
The star of the team is the team.

Elderslie Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 4:09 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Elderslie Tiger » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 1:53 pm

I think he and Tui should use the same dietician and sprint trainer in the off season.

User avatar
VanillaThunder
Member
Member
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:57 am
Location: Perth, WA
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by VanillaThunder » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 2:12 pm

kh_canada wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:57 pm
everett8 wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:38 am
I have been impressed with his development this year. Great when a young player is given a chance and takes it with both hands.

If we do not secure Rona and Kevin moves on why can't we go for a backline of

Lolohea
Nofoaluma
Marsters
Suli
Milne
Reynolds
Brooks

The backline might lack some pace but it would have some size about them and would help our forwards out from kick returns.

Happy for Marsters to play off the bench as I don't believe we should have a hooker on the bench.

As other Forum members have pointed out McQueen has undergone a serious neck operation and Lawrence has lost time through injuries so we may require Aloiai, Marsters, MCK to play second rower during the season. There is talk Taylor may sign with the Warriors.

Bench in 2018

Twal (prop and lock rotation)
Sue/Grant (prop rotation)
Aloiai (prop and second row rotation)
Marsters (backs and forwards)

Additional players

Michael Chee Kam (played well on the weekend)
J J Felise
Matt McIlwrick (if LIddle wins the hooker battle for 2018)
MWZ? I would say Milne will start on the bench first thing in 2018. Nonetheless we should have great depth in the backline come next year.
We're not St George, we can't and shouldn't carry a centre on the bench, especially if we're taking an extra hooker too. MWZ has earned first crack with Kev gone, but for the first time in a while we've got legitimate competition for positions, Milne has a full pre-season to prove himself and I'd back Cleary's call either way.
FWIW, I'd love to see Esan playing on an edge off the bench with
1. Lolohea
2. Nofoaluma
3. Suli
4. Fonua
5. Rona/MWZ

Post Reply

Return to “Wests Tigers”