Wests Tigers Discussion
formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: Lolohea at fullback 2018

Unread post by formerguest » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 5:07 pm

Looking forward to seeing him in his natural position at the back next season. Whilst I would have loved Tedesco to stay, well at least the 2015/16 version, but as he hasn't done much for WT this year I am expecting Lolohea to deliver more for the club next year.

05TIGZ
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by 05TIGZ » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:46 pm

formerguest wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 5:07 pm
Looking forward to seeing him in his natural position at the back next season. Whilst I would have loved Tedesco to stay, well at least the 2015/16 version, but as he hasn't done much for WT this year I am expecting Lolohea to deliver more for the club next year.
Other than that try against parra, I can't recall Tedesco doing anything special lately. We have been in almost every game the last 4 weeks and it's been as a result of teamwork and defence rather than individual brilliance. L

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 7:24 pm

Tui is the stereotypical quiet poly kid, its the reason sometimes Brooks lately seems to be trying too hard while Tui goes missing. Dont worry about the fitness, nor the bulk, its his way he isnt a little bloke, the concern is his confidence within both himself an in the squad.

People didnt believe me when I said he is classy... forging his way this year will pay us massive dividends. Always had concerns about how timid he can be and being in a role where he needs to direct, fullback drops the shackles and he will fly!

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 7:38 pm

I got laughed at when I suggested him as Tedesco's replacement, well before we were linked to him. Apparently the Warriors would never release him. Neck minnit

Good player. Glad he's on the bus.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 8:41 pm

I must admit I wasn't keen on the signing of Tui at first - I thought he was a bit of a pumpkin. However, he is settling in very well and, to my surprise, is starting to look really sharp in recent matches.

I'm not sure what his best position is, he is doing ok at 5/8, has some ball skills, but it's his footwork that is really impressing, so he might turn out to be a cracking fullback after all! Will be interesting to see how he goes after a full off season with us. In any case, I am feeling a whole lot better about the idea of him playing at fullback than I was previously.

Roar Power
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 9:19 pm

I have always liked the guy. If anyone is going to get the best out of him, its Ivan.

I think he could turn out being WT's long term FB. Classy kid and can play...

kh_canada
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by kh_canada » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 9:20 pm

In that video you can see the kid has confidence, I am in no doubt that with an off season with the boys and in the fullback position that his game will grow and produce dividends for the Tigers. He will be good for us next year, he's still finding his feet at the moment but even in the past month I've noticed small changes. He's looking good.

Nucky Thompson

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 9:35 pm

I love the kid with the right development he could be anything.

Nucky Thompson

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 9:36 pm

He has such a unique frame for footy with his speed and size.

Nucky Thompson

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 9:41 pm

formerguest wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 5:07 pm
Not sure what his natural position is with his size his looking a natural at 6.

Tacky
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 2:54 pm

'The Warriors record several times as part of their training, with a focus on 10 and 30 metre sprints.

What will shock you is that two of the three fastest players over 10 metres are forwards.

Ken Maumalo is the only back who features on the short list, with Sam Lisone and Pat Sipley recording the fastest times over 10, although we haven’t been given their times.

Over 30 metres, the backline comes into play, with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Tui Lolohea, Shaun Johnson and Holden Cup winger Lewis Soosemea the quickest.'

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9beb53dcd2
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

EzyTyga
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by EzyTyga » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 5:02 pm

In the under 20s for warriors he played in the number 6 so naturally that his best and preferred position. Hopefully he can make the transition to fullback, just seems abit ominous

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:03 pm

Interesting article about Lolo in the paper. TLDR, he was on the piss at the Warriors and has lost 6kg since being here.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11909279
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:13 pm

Masterton wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:03 pm
Interesting article about Lolo in the paper. TLDR, he was on the piss at the Warriors and has lost 6kg since being here.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11909279
Thanks Masterton - appreciate the article.

Posted a few times that I thought there was something going on before he came. Drinking and 6kg. Kearney would do that to you.

Better times ahead for Tui and for us - watch him go in 2018.

weststigerman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by weststigerman » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:15 pm

That's a worry, he was still a professional footballer and being played out of position is hardly a reason to let yourself go.

Hopefully all that stuff is behind him now.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:23 pm

weststigerman wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:15 pm
That's a worry, he was still a professional footballer and being played out of position is hardly a reason to let yourself go.
Sitaleki Akauola reckoned he was close to suicide because of it!
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Tacky
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:24 pm

Former Warriors utility Tui Lolohea has revealed he "drowned his sorrows" in alcohol to deal with his frustrations during his last months in Auckland before joining Wests Tigers.

The 22-year-old told the Sydney Morning Herald he turned to alcohol after growing disillusioned at a lack of game time and being forced to play on the wing under Warriors coach Stephen Kearney.

Lolohea played two games on the flank at the beginning of the season and had two starts at fullback and five-eighth as a replacement for Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and playmaker Kieran Foran but was dropped to reserve grade before switching to Wests Tigers mid-season.

"I got to a point where I felt that just wasn't me," Lolohea told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I had enough of playing on the wing. I never played on the wing growing up but they chucked me on the wing and first grade and had to stay there. I got the opportunity here to get more involved here and I feel like I'm playing some good footy.

"I was overweight. I was unhappy. I was struggling. Playing reserve grade on the wing probably didn't help. I was off it a little bit. I've lost six kilograms since coming here and each week I'm feeling better on the field. In the first month at the Tigers I was struggling and my weight had a lot to do with it."

Lolohea admits he used alcohol as a crutch while he waited to be granted a release from the Warriors but says he has cleaned up his act since moving across the Tasman.

He has shown patches of his best form since arriving at the joint-venture club and is finding his feet playing under former Warriors coach Ivan Cleary.

"I was going through some pretty tough times back home. All the alcohol ... all the little stuff it got to me," Lolohea told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I was drowning my sorrows in it to be honest. But I've been pretty good over here. The things I used to do back home, I don't do over here. I'm fully focused on my footy here."
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

benjibrotown

Unread post by benjibrotown » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:58 pm

Earl wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 4:09 pm
Geo. wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 1:46 pm
What if this is Lolohea's full fitness...?
Just because you are carrying some extra weight it doesn't mean you aren't fit when it comes to your sport. I don't think his fitness is the problem.

I think we need Lolohea to turn into a really really good player at fullback next year. We are going to lose a lot with Tedesco leaving. I think Tui has the ability to be great next year but he is going to have to do a lot of work on his game.

We will have to wait and see if he is up to it. There is a difference between looking really sharp and skillful which he does and being a quality first grade fullback on a consistent basis.
I think its safe to say his fitness would improve if he were in better shape. There is a reason that no other fullback in the comp is carry as many extra KG's as he is..

Return to “Wests Tigers”