Wests Tigers Discussion
bathursttiger
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Lolohea at fullback 2018

Unread post by bathursttiger » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:03 pm

Roar Power wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 9:19 pm
I have always liked the guy. If anyone is going to get the best out of him, its Ivan.

I think he could turn out being WT's long term FB. Classy kid and can play...
It makes a huge difference when the coach has confidence in a player, also playing in one position every week as opposed to playing a different position every week.

upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by upthetigers » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:32 pm

Focus on your footy mate and you can be anything. Soon Tigers supporters will be saying Teddy who?

turnstyle
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by turnstyle » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:17 pm

I was excited at the prospect of them signing him and he has quickly become a shining light in a pretty dim season.
I think this club and Cleary are the best thing for him and his well-being.
I'm hope he is happy at fullback and the club because if so I think he is going to tear it up next year.
Can't wait.

The_Doc
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by The_Doc » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:23 pm

Masterton wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:03 pm
Interesting article about Lolo in the paper. TLDR, he was on the piss at the Warriors and has lost 6kg since being here.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11909279
He looks like he's a lot slimmer and he's footy has improved as a result, i think he could drop a bit more weight before next year and hit the ground running will def be a lot quicker and better aerobically.

shakey4d
Has liked: 13 times

Unread post by shakey4d » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 5:39 pm

Bit of a worry that when things got tough and not going his way he basically packed it in rather than working his butt off to try make his way back into the team. But I guess he is still young and hopefully learned some lessons and been humbled by the experience.

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:14 pm

shakey4d wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 5:39 pm
Bit of a worry that when things got tough and not going his way he basically packed it in rather than working his butt off to try make his way back into the team. But I guess he is still young and hopefully learned some lessons and been humbled by the experience.
I think a player knows that if he works hard he can play his way back into a team.

I think a player also knows when a a coach has it in for him - like Kearney he can give up, get depressed, his game gets worse and so does his chances if he ever had one.

He seems in a good place now - so I am looking forward to seeing him at his best again.

tiger05premier
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by tiger05premier » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:22 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:14 pm
shakey4d wrote:
I think a player knows that if he works hard he can play his way back into a team.

I think a player also knows when a a coach has it in for him - like Kearney he can give up, get depressed, his game gets worse and so does his chances if he ever had one.

He seems in a good place now - so I am looking forward to seeing him at his best again.
Exactly Russell

I don't think it's a case of Lolo packing it in

Who wouldn't get frustrated playing under Kearney

He's been around a while n achieved nothing

Just living on the fact he was once an assistant to Bellamy

Apart from that Kearney haa achieved absolutely nothing with anybody

Evem had to call in Bennett to get the Kiwis firing

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:27 pm

Masterton wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:23 pm
weststigerman wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:15 pm
That's a worry, he was still a professional footballer and being played out of position is hardly a reason to let yourself go.
Sitaleki Akauola reckoned he was close to suicide because of it!
Really? What a bloody snowflake.

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:40 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:27 pm
Masterton wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:23 pm
weststigerman wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:15 pm
That's a worry, he was still a professional footballer and being played out of position is hardly a reason to let yourself go.
Sitaleki Akauola reckoned he was close to suicide because of it!
Really? What a bloody snowflake.
And then poor Mitchy Moses copped a dose of it apparently.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:42 pm

Tacky wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:24 pm
Former Warriors utility Tui Lolohea has revealed he "drowned his sorrows" in alcohol to deal with his frustrations during his last months in Auckland before joining Wests Tigers.

The 22-year-old told the Sydney Morning Herald he turned to alcohol after growing disillusioned at a lack of game time and being forced to play on the wing under Warriors coach Stephen Kearney.

Lolohea played two games on the flank at the beginning of the season and had two starts at fullback and five-eighth as a replacement for Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and playmaker Kieran Foran but was dropped to reserve grade before switching to Wests Tigers mid-season.

"I got to a point where I felt that just wasn't me," Lolohea told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I had enough of playing on the wing. I never played on the wing growing up but they chucked me on the wing and first grade and had to stay there. I got the opportunity here to get more involved here and I feel like I'm playing some good footy.

"I was overweight. I was unhappy. I was struggling. Playing reserve grade on the wing probably didn't help. I was off it a little bit. I've lost six kilograms since coming here and each week I'm feeling better on the field. In the first month at the Tigers I was struggling and my weight had a lot to do with it."

Lolohea admits he used alcohol as a crutch while he waited to be granted a release from the Warriors but says he has cleaned up his act since moving across the Tasman.

He has shown patches of his best form since arriving at the joint-venture club and is finding his feet playing under former Warriors coach Ivan Cleary.

"I was going through some pretty tough times back home. All the alcohol ... all the little stuff it got to me," Lolohea told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I was drowning my sorrows in it to be honest. But I've been pretty good over here. The things I used to do back home, I don't do over here. I'm fully focused on my footy here."
Tough times?
LOL

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Defiant » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 8:33 pm

I reckon he will kill it next year.

Improving each week and I think fullback will suit him once the aerobic fitness gets there.

I assume he can catch the ball well ?

TYGA
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by TYGA » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 8:52 pm

He will kill it. Good to hear honesty and why his game and physique fell off. One player we all want to see succeed.
Compare this kids attitude to Moses.

shakey4d
Has liked: 13 times

Unread post by shakey4d » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 9:51 pm

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:22 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:14 pm
shakey4d wrote:

Exactly Russell

I don't think it's a case of Lolo packing it in

Who wouldn't get frustrated playing under Kearney

He's been around a while n achieved nothing

Just living on the fact he was once an assistant to Bellamy

Apart from that Kearney haa achieved absolutely nothing with anybody

Evem had to call in Bennett to get the Kiwis firing
Fair enough. Kearney doesn't exactly seem to be the greatest leader. However, his main gripe seems to be that he was stuck on the wing. Not the first player to not get to play their preferred position.

Anyway, glad he seems to found a home for now and hope to see him tear it up at the back next year.

Telltails
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Telltails » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:31 pm

Considering the all consumimg demands of being an NRL player - their is not much else to focus on from week to week other than your performance and holding a place in your team, and if its not going well,, mentally I think most would struggle.
It seems many are challenged by the expectations that they place on themselves, and of others, and some are built to cope and some are not. I dont think we can be too dismissive of it especially when being successful in the NRL is all these players have ever considered.

Needaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Needaname » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:37 pm

One thing that is over looked is how important it is to read and organise defence whilst at fullback.
I hope I'm wrong but I feel we may fall short in this area with Lolohea at the back.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:46 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:23 am
TIGER wrote:
Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:59 am
I wish he'd be more decisive when he gets the ball, especially when he runs it.
I like when he just gets it straightens and takes off at a gap, he seems to hesitate too much and drift sideways before he makes a decision to run or pass.
I am sure you are correct TIGER, I am also sure you have noticed that every game he is improving, getting more confidence again in his own ability. (Confidence that was stripped from him by that idiot Kearney). He is also playing a position imo that is not his. He is a full back through and through.

Give him a hard off season where he will also lose a few kilos which will increase his speed (you can see now, he sees the gaps, puts the foot down and just misses getting through by a whisker), plays in his best position, settles with new club mates, gets his full confidence back and with new games plans he will be a winner of the highest order.

You could see yesterday on a number of occasions that he was setting up supports (when they were there?) and he put Masters through a huge gap that he didn't take (all he had to do was run for it straight and hard - what did he do, try to side step and lost the gap). He reads the game so well.

I still think this guy will be better than Teddy and he passes the ball and for less than half the price (for now).

All we have to do is watch and be excited.
It'll be a long time before we see anyone better than Tedesco. They don't fall off the back of trucks. Il be satisfied if he just turns out Good consistently.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Thu 24 Aug, 2017 4:55 am

Needaname wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:37 pm
One thing that is over looked is how important it is to read and organise defence whilst at fullback.
I hope I'm wrong but I feel we may fall short in this area with Lolohea at the back.
I'm not as concerned, if you look at the try saver by teddy against the Roosters, LoLo was screaming instructions to Teddy. Teddy got the credit by the commentators but LoLo was part the reason. He got him self inbetween the outside runners and the ball carrier and was waving at Teddy to take the ball runner and the inside support.

I think he will be fine.

tigerbill
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by tigerbill » Thu 24 Aug, 2017 5:32 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Thu 24 Aug, 2017 4:55 am
Needaname wrote:
Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:37 pm
I'm not as concerned, if you look at the try saver by teddy against the Roosters, LoLo was screaming instructions to Teddy. Teddy got the credit by the commentators but LoLo was part the reason. He got him self inbetween the outside runners and the ball carrier and was waving at Teddy to take the ball runner and the inside support.

I think he will be fine.
I'm glad someone else brought this up. The replay was so telling of Lolo directing traffic. He's strong, has a good step. I think he looks good.

PS: anyone reckon Nick Cotric is another Tedesco in the making?

Return to “Wests Tigers”