Wests Tigers Discussion
Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Player fire sale just weeks away

Unread post by Spartan117 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:05 am

Brooks at Melb would be a revelation under Bellamy.

Time and Time again this Coach has worked miracles and there is a reason that this team is always up there or nearabouts.

To me it shows how important the choice of the right coach is.

Coach Cleary is that Man i believe like Arthur was at Parra. lets not forget that they were a basket case for many seasons. People forget when their team is winning.

colmcd
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by colmcd » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:35 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 7:51 am
I love a "Firesale". We are in our best position in years (cap wise) to picked up some talent. Hopefully we don't just pick up anyone and really target the player market.
Some clubs are really going to be struggling to hold onto there signed players. If the cap is around 9.2 mil of 2018.
This should be a bit of fun for us. Hopefully Watching the blowtorch being applied to the likes of the Bulldogs, Panthers ect.
I noticed Gould trying to distract the media the other day and point the finger at other clubs (like us) made me laugh. He would be sweeting bricks about now. Good try at a smokescreen Gould.
Now we find out how good our buying and negotiation is.
Do we have Room?
Did we buy a pearl when Diamonds are now coming cheap?

We have gotten some good buys, did we pay overs? Even then did we need those players, IMHO Matalino definately, Reynolds yes, Lolohea... personally perfered over Watson.

But it is now we find out if we brought smart.

Cronulla I think have brought the best of any team the year before last. This took them to the finals.
Likewise Brisbane, Melbourne and even Easts seem to know when to pick up players.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:51 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:01 am
I think those hanging hopes that quality players will be moved on by Clubs supposedly in Cap trouble and snapped up by Wests Tigers will be disappointed...
Not necessarily....

A club in trouble could lose 3 good players or one better player. Do they sacrifice squad depth to get on side, or one of their better players but maintain their squad balance.

If they feel one of their younger players can step up they may be willing to lose a higher paid player...

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:58 am

You can only become salary cap compliant of a club is willing to pick up what you are offering. Also as we've witnessed with the Bulldogs, it may be easier to offload the most recently signed player or run the risk of upsetting the playing group as some players tapped on the shoulder may not want to leave.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11:21 am

cktiger wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:42 am
Russell wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:33 am
Seantice wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:23 am
colmcd wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:07 am

Really we couldn't turf Brooks and shouldn't turf Brooks. We still had a shot at signing Teddy and Woodsy. To reject Brooks even when Nathan Cleary is coming up and Cronk is available would be a big gamble to the only "big 4" that showed loyalty.
Showd loyalty? he had no offers elsewhere. Hes been playing below average football since he debud.. Hes lucky he got a contract at all.
Incorrect - he had at least an offer from Melbourne.
From my recollection Cleary lowered our offer and he didn't get any bites elsewhere so jumped in while he a chance.
Hard to see him knock back an offer from Melbourne... unless it was for about $200K less a year (and that might be close to the truth) but I can't remember seeing anything reported.
I seriously hope he shows some marked improvement, because at the moment it looks like Parramatta got the goldmine and we got the shaft.
Parra got the player with a very poor attitude that is hardly a "goldmine" more like "fools gold"

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11:46 am

We need someone with half a brain in recruitment to realise you do not consider players that all of a sudden come into form when their contracts are up for negotiation. Grant is a good example of this, all of a sudden starts bending the line. Be smart and offer the consistent players contracts and go after these type of players from other clubs and don't get caught up INA fire sale with damaged goods.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 103 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 12:55 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:51 am
Geo. wrote:
I think those hanging hopes that quality players will be moved on by Clubs supposedly in Cap trouble and snapped up by Wests Tigers will be disappointed...
Not necessarily....

A club in trouble could lose 3 good players or one better player. Do they sacrifice squad depth to get on side, or one of their better players but maintain their squad balance.

If they feel one of their younger players can step up they may be willing to lose a higher paid player...
Big assumption that the said quality higher paid player simply wants to leave the current Club X...and would come here if they did...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 1:43 pm

other than the bulldogs who are the current NRL basket case (but still even them), i would say all clubs would have a plan B when it came to the salary cap. i just cant see clubs letting key players go.

tigertye
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by tigertye » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 1:43 pm

Spoke to a player manager this morning at work. Apparently Manly and the Dogs are in big trouble out of all the teams and are going to have to drop a fair few players.

underdog
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by underdog » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 1:48 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:05 am

Time and Time again this Coach has worked miracles and there is a reason that this team is always up there or nearabouts.

Coach Cleary is that Man i believe like Arthur was at Parra. lets not forget that they were a basket case for many seasons. People forget when their team is winning.
Junior Moops didn't exactly come of age.

vlad
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by vlad » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 2:53 pm

underdog wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 1:48 pm
Spartan117 wrote:

Attachments
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG (51.07 KiB) Viewed 517 times

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:18 pm

tigertye wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 1:43 pm
Spoke to a player manager this morning at work. Apparently Manly and the Dogs are in big trouble out of all the teams and are going to have to drop a fair few players.
Imagine DT headline = Roosters sign Taupau, Klemmer and Trbojevic brothers in NRL fire sale. Can just fit all under the cap.

colmcd

Unread post by colmcd » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:22 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11:21 am
cktiger wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:42 am
Russell wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:33 am
Seantice wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:23 am

Showd loyalty? he had no offers elsewhere. Hes been playing below average football since he debud.. Hes lucky he got a contract at all.
Incorrect - he had at least an offer from Melbourne.
From my recollection Cleary lowered our offer and he didn't get any bites elsewhere so jumped in while he a chance.
Hard to see him knock back an offer from Melbourne... unless it was for about $200K less a year (and that might be close to the truth) but I can't remember seeing anything reported.
I seriously hope he shows some marked improvement, because at the moment it looks like Parramatta got the goldmine and we got the shaft.
Parra got the player with a very poor attitude that is hardly a "goldmine" more like "fools gold"
Parra got what they paid for. For 850K they got a 5/8 that will work hardish and ditch them when a better offer comes. I would take either Blake Austin, Benji or TMM ahead of Moses in a heartbeat and I had no idea why we bankrolled our club on him. Have to admit now though he can play and has developed under Brad Arthur.

I don't know what you do now. Do you put 3 guys together, who have played together since childhood, without a mentor or rolemodel and expect the Smith/Cronk/Slater dream team?
We had Taylor coaching them, The guy who made Mitchell Pierce and helped the Roosters win a grand final with their awesome halfback combination (maybe the guy who coached Pierce into loosing every SOO for last blah years).

Either way, lets hope Ivan can get Brooks to gel with Reynolds.

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:22 pm

tigertye wrote:
I can understand the Dogs being in trouble but you would think Manly with Stewart and Matai off their books next year that they would be ok.

colmcd

Unread post by colmcd » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:27 pm

TopTiger wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:22 pm
tigertye wrote:
I can understand the Dogs being in trouble but you would think Manly with Stewart and Matai off their books next year that they would be ok.
If Manly are in trouble they have brought horribly. HORRIBLY. But something is very funny, I do not believe the "Matai, turn up to a doctor" story. I reckon those guys would be backended to the hilt.

Anyway Trebovik rhymes with Tigers!

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Masterton » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:56 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:51 am
Geo. wrote:
Not necessarily....

Or, as when Peats was booted out of Parra, it can be a player they feel they can cover, or a player that will be off-contract next year anyways. I don't imagine any "stars" will became available, but could be some decent players.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Masterton » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:58 pm

underdog wrote:
Spartan117 wrote:

There's a long list of players who went to Melby a did bugger all.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:03 pm

underdog wrote:
Spartan117 wrote:

Your right UD

However there are more than a few went better under the storm system

Return to “Wests Tigers”