Re: Player fire sale just weeks away

Unread post by underdog » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:35 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:03 pm
underdog wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 1:48 pm
Spartan117 wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:05 am
Brooks at Melb would be a revelation under Bellamy.

Time and Time again this Coach has worked miracles and there is a reason that this team is always up there or nearabouts.

To me it shows how important the choice of the right coach is.

Coach Cleary is that Man i believe like Arthur was at Parra. lets not forget that they were a basket case for many seasons. People forget when their team is winning.
Junior Moops didn't exactly come of age.
Your right UD

However there are more than a few went better under the storm system
Koroibete somewhat, and Addo-Carr has really come on strong, as has Cheyse Blair.

Having said that we've had our fair share - Matthew Bell, Marty Taupau, Blake Austin, Elijah Taylor, and to some degree so far Tui Lolz all showed signs of reviving a dud career at the tigers - shame we had to let some of them go.

teddy23
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by teddy23 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:40 pm

Let's narrow it down to the teams that are in more trouble then others, no need assessing clubs like let's say Eels who are only just a little over the cap.

Canberra, Bulldogs and Penrith...... They'll drop serious talent.

Tapine and Peachey will do me, bring in Rona as well and we're set for success!

Even though clubs like Roosters and Broncos should be over the cap, TPA's go a long way!

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:45 pm

teddy23 wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:40 pm
Let's narrow it down to the teams that are in more trouble then others, no need assessing clubs like let's say Eels who are only just a little over the cap.

Canberra, Bulldogs and Penrith...... They'll drop serious talent.

Tapine and Peachey will do me, bring in Rona as well and we're set for success!

Even though clubs like Roosters and Broncos should be over the cap, TPA's go a long way!
CHN from the Panthers given how he was supposedly close to signing with the Tigers would be a handy addition as well!!

Earl
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Earl » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:54 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:01 am
I think those hanging hopes that quality players will be moved on by Clubs supposedly in Cap trouble and snapped up by Wests Tigers will be disappointed...
I agree. I think it's more about the long game. If clubs are really tight when it comes to the cap players will come on the market whether they be juniors or just players that have improved a lot and clubs won't be able to retain them.

So clubs for instance might not let Taumalolo go but some upcoming player at the Cowboys like Ponga may have to be let go. This might occur over the next couple of seasons.

supercoach
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:57 pm

When push comes to shove most clubs will find a way of getting their cap in order. There will be the odd sacrificial offering, but you will not see any Marty Tapau's or players of that quality, just your average meat and spuds style player.

It will hamper these teams as far as recruitment, but I doubt they will have to let anyone of quality go. Call me cynical, but with the cap there are a 100 ways to get around it..except if your the Tigers

PrattenParkMagpie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by PrattenParkMagpie » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 5:33 pm

supercoach wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:57 pm
When push comes to shove most clubs will find a way of getting their cap in order. There will be the odd sacrificial offering, but you will not see any Marty Tapau's or players of that quality, just your average meat and spuds style player.

It will hamper these teams as far as recruitment, but I doubt they will have to let anyone of quality go. Call me cynical, but with the cap there are a 100 ways to get around it..except if your the Tigers
Agreed

Clubs were given a figure they should stay under months ago and it was hinted back then that the Panthers were already over it yet they have continued to re-sign players, these clubs don’t care and the NRL haven’t the balls to do anything and ultimately it will all fall into place in their favour and they will just offload the players that are surplus to their needs.

We go back to last year, Parramatta offloaded Peats when Jennings was the last player signed and should have been the first to go, he should have been sent back to the Rorters, Copley should have gone back to the Donkeys and Roberts back to the Titans seeing all that was a backroom deal done between the 3 clubs so the Donkeys could get Roberts though the Eels didn’t have the cap space to do the deal in the first place.
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

Don’t you ever let a chance go by, O Claws, don’t you ever let a chance go by....

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 5:43 pm

English clubs will take a few of the ordinary players off clubs hands, probably paying the same amount that the players were earning here.

If you have a look at some of the forum favourites that have been snapped up by English clubs recently such as Buchanan, Drinkwater, Rankin etc.

The other thing that will impact is the new collective bargaining agreement. This will set the minimum wage of the top 30 players which may also impact on the value of players that need to be shed. If the minimum wage is 100k, then a squad on base wage will eat up 3million of a 9 million cap. Start throwing in a few players on 500k+ and the amounts left over start to shrink

prattenparkchild
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by prattenparkchild » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 5:49 pm

If a player is signed with a club but then the club is found to be over the cap I presume the contract is void. I assume there is no obligation on the players original club to take them back as they have more than likely recruited replacement meaning player X becomes homeless free agent?

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm not 100% on the details....but I think it was Grant at NRL HQ some time back that hinted the cap could be 10mil. Some clubs took this as gospel and signed up players, left, right and centre.
Then the NRL did a figures adjustment and said it would be 8.8 or something of the like. The clubs went Burko ..
Then the NRL came back with 9.2.
Which Clubs will be hurting most? Bulldogs , Penrith, Manly? Any others?
Good times !!!
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

wt00
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by wt00 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 7:21 pm

Doubt there will be star type players pushed out.. Might be able to pick up one or two solid 1st graders though..
The star of the team is the team.

prattenparkchild
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by prattenparkchild » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 8:06 pm

As much as I have little to no sympathy with the clubs mentioned, there is a large amount of blame with the NRL in prolonging cap level negotiations for 2018 onwards out this long. Of course clubs will be already singing, and re-signing , players. Fortunately, for WT, we were in a position where such a large number fo our players were out of contract at years end and were in all honestly never going to be re-signed by us. This allowed us to be active without too much attention to the cap level. Also lucky I suppose our 3 of our 4 stars who would have taken a large slice of cap decided to go.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 8:23 pm

The question for me is why on earth would anyone think the cap would gone to more than say nine million that would well and truly cover the additional players, minimum to $100k and CPI plus a bit more.

PrattenParkMagpie
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by PrattenParkMagpie » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 8:40 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 8:06 pm
As much as I have little to no sympathy with the clubs mentioned, there is a large amount of blame with the NRL in prolonging cap level negotiations for 2018 onwards out this long. Of course clubs will be already singing, and re-signing , players. Fortunately, for WT, we were in a position where such a large number fo our players were out of contract at years end and were in all honestly never going to be re-signed by us. This allowed us to be active without too much attention to the cap level. Also lucky I suppose our 3 of our 4 stars who would have taken a large slice of cap decided to go.
The RLPA is as much to blame, they should have settled for the lower cap for 2018 and then continued negotiations for the increased cap and other conditions they are seeking from 2019.
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

Don’t you ever let a chance go by, O Claws, don’t you ever let a chance go by....

bathursttiger
Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:45 pm

Earl wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 4:54 pm
Geo. wrote:
Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:01 am
I think those hanging hopes that quality players will be moved on by Clubs supposedly in Cap trouble and snapped up by Wests Tigers will be disappointed...
I agree. I think it's more about the long game. If clubs are really tight when it comes to the cap players will come on the market whether they be juniors or just players that have improved a lot and clubs won't be able to retain them.

So clubs for instance might not let Taumalolo go but some upcoming player at the Cowboys like Ponga may have to be let go. This might occur over the next couple of seasons.
The clubs will let the average player go before they get rid of any superstars.

sideline eye
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm

Clubs have to have thirty players so if they offload a few lower paid players, they would then have to buy the same number of similarly cheap players to make up the numbers. Result? Still over the cap. They would have to offload higher paid players and replace them with cheaper players. Result? Under the cap with thirty players on the books.

MG1962
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11:10 pm

I would suggest West be looking for some quality depth players at bargain basement prices. Especially if a portion of the pay will be coming from the other club.

If they don't fire - what have we lost....

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 7:21 am

With Souths paying Farah's salary next year we could have here for a fiver. He wants to notch up his 250 WT games and he has shown loyalty to WT by not joining in Souths Glory Glory song. See if Ivan will take him as assistant coach as well for peanuts extra - Farah getting the free lessons and experience.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

momo&medo
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 7:24 am

Speaking on Triple M's Dead Set Legends, Triple M and the Australian's Brent Read has revealed that the Bulldogs will have to cut some players to bring themselves under the cap.

While Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods are the most recent additions to the side for 2018, it will be other members of the squad who will be cut loose in order to comply with requirements when the salary cap amount is settled.

"They've gone out and bought Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods, so I don't think they were necessarily banking on $10 million - they were banking on a figure much further beyond that," Ready said.

"Their contracts will not be registered until they get under the salary cap.

"As I understand it, the Dogs have spoken today to Kieran Foran's management and Aaron Woods' management, and both of those blokes are still saying that they're committed to the club."

Image: Getty Images

Speaking on Triple M's Dead Set Legends, Triple M and the Australian's Brent Read has revealed that the Bulldogs will have to cut some players to bring themselves under the cap.

While Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods are the most recent additions to the side for 2018, it will be other members of the squad who will be cut loose in order to comply with requirements when the salary cap amount is settled.

"They've gone out and bought Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods, so I don't think they were necessarily banking on $10 million - they were banking on a figure much further beyond that," Ready said.

"Their contracts will not be registered until they get under the salary cap.

"As I understand it, the Dogs have spoken today to Kieran Foran's management and Aaron Woods' management, and both of those blokes are still saying that they're committed to the club."

While there was originally talk that Woods and Foran would be casualties in the Bulldogs' attempt to get under the cap, this was dispelled during the week.

However, Ready said that there were still rumours saying otherwise.

"I heard a rumour this week that Kieran Foran's management was actually ringing other clubs," he said.

"As it stands right now, they will have to shed some players."

Return to “Wests Tigers”