One of our best wins?

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: One of our best wins?

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 12:32 am

What an inspirational finish, a very tough second half. Was it Twal who was still beaming 5 mins after the game finished? Taupau attacking Teddy wasn't nice.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 12:38 am

Great character shown today despite the fact we looked dead and buried at halftime, and then I thought we had the wind taken out of our sails once more when Teddy spilt a kickoff and Manly scored under the sticks. Just very pleased to see the team stick together and tough it out. We might be outgunned on paper against a lot of teams, but the way Cleary has them playing for one another is most pleasing and we'll definitely be a stronger outfit next season.

1/4 chicken,chips
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 2:38 am

The Cronulla game when Benji ran riot sticks in my mind ,,and the saints semi where Deno played probably his best ever game of footy

Tigerdon
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 5:38 am

I have just got home after a victory pub crawl. Along Darling st. still have two hours of Zzzeds before work. Better get off the internet...and get some sleep
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 7:27 am

I wouldnt say one of the best, it was a great escape to say the least..

Might cop flak but my best memories are when Benji won us games we had no hope of winning..

Not discrediting these lot and yesterdays win was well deserved ..

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 7:29 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 14 Aug, 2017 5:38 am
I have just got home after a victory pub crawl. Along Darling st. still have two hours of Zzzeds before work. Better get off the internet...and get some sleep
Mate I'd be having the day off!

Tigerdon
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 8:44 am

I'm on the ferry on the way to work. It's rather rocky. I think I'm going to spew.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:36 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 14 Aug, 2017 8:44 am
I'm on the ferry on the way to work. It's rather rocky. I think I'm going to spew.
Just do it in the direction of Manly :mrgreen:

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 102 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:43 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:19 pm
We need to celebrate and continue to enjoy this win tonite and for the rest of the week.
Its been a long tough year.

It may not have been the most clinical victory, but it was gutsy and inspiring...we lost a player early, we seemed to get little joy from the refs penaltys wise for most of the game, & for about a quarter of the game we lost our way

Time to cast our minds back and dig up the rare sweet come from behind wins like this one....today has to be up there with one of our best wins, especially considering the opposition, where theyre placed on the ladder and the dent it puts in their top 4 hopes

Fire away
Reminiscent of being a Balmain fan in the mid-late 90's. The rare upset amongst a multitude of comprehensive losses which is what made following a poor team so special.

Even when things were going wrong and we lost our way, they were trying. That's all I ask.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Peter B
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Peter B » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:18 am

It's a special feeling beating Manly & upsetting their finals run. Suffer in your jocks Manly.

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:29 am

Well I'm not too proud to admit that I put a post in the "live game" thread yesterday late in the first half about feet for hands, poor defence and being wooden spoon worthy.

It got to me because we have been putting in the good fight for months now and I was witnessing the "old" form again.

Fool me for doubting what Cleary has been building. Great win guys.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

jirskyr
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:33 am

Crowd certainly got into the match, better than some of the results at LO of late, some of the disappointing losses.

For LO matches though I don't think you can go past the Storm game, and we've had a few good ones against the Storm, but the one where we were up by 2 and Cronk put a kick in touch, almost came off as a try for the winger. Then Benji put a move on from the scrum and put Lawrence away; I was on the hill actually so I couldn't see if Lawrence initially as he sprinted down the hillside line. Slater come across in cover and the crowd went mental when Slater dived and came up with thin air.

Never heard a Leichhardt crowd go so mad, though yesterday was pretty good from 12K folks, but that night the crowd went truly mental, you can hear it on the tape and I'll never forget what it sounded like live.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 102 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:35 am

To those who were being negative in the game day thread, I wouldn't be apologetic, it's natural to be rather negative when things are going wrong. We're so used to seeing this team capitulate and phone it in so it is second nature to just assume things will get worse.

It will take time for Cleary and the team to erode that mindset from the fans.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

colmcd
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 11:34 am

We won when it looked like we lost it.
We hit hard defense and we actually held on.

Where did this grit come from? If this is next year then it is good to see. No superstars so no top 4 finish but we will be competitive again.

fergiefurr
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 11:59 am

agree ink, whilst it isnt important in the scheme of making finals etc i think yesterday was a massive win as far as belief and culture goes for next year.

i also feel that as a supporter base getting a win like that, big come back, top 8 side, traditional home ground was such a big thing

it definetly gives you a lot of hope for next year knowing we have the character to win a game like that. usually we're the team giving up those leads

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:39 pm

I think it was our best and most important win this year for several reasons. It was a just reward for several, recent strong efforts (the team are definitely playing for Ivan), it was against a strong, highly favoured Manly side and, it was on the hallowed turf of Leichhardt and, finally, it probably staved off the spoon. I felt proud to be a Tiger fan, watching them fight back!

swag tiger
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:49 pm

stevied wrote:
Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:39 pm
I think it was our best and most important win this year for several reasons. It was a just reward for several, recent strong efforts (the team are definitely playing for Ivan), it was against a strong, highly favoured Manly side and, it was on the hallowed turf of Leichhardt and, finally, it probably staved off the spoon. I felt proud to be a Tiger fan, watching them fight back!
This could be the start of a turn around in the next couple of years.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

will1999
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by will1999 » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:06 pm

next Leichhardt game against the Warriors should be a win

Return to “Round 23: Wests Tigers vs Manly Sea Eagles”