Our best and worst WT coaches

Wests Tigers Discussion
krayola
Member
Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:12 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Our best and worst WT coaches

Unread post by krayola » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 6:31 pm

Ranking them was harder than I thought, and there is a clear distance between the best two and the rest.

1 (BEST) Sheenius*

2 Ivan

3 JT

4 Mick Potter

5 Wayne Pearce

6 Lamb

*Sheens is a clear #2 if this resurgence under Cleary continues.

JT got us playing better defense than Potter and perhaps had to undo some of the mess that Potter inherited/created. I'm sure some will say he made his own mess though...


User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 6:53 pm

Lamb did come up with some surprise tactics to put the opposition off their game

krayola
Member
Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:12 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by krayola » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 7:17 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sat 19 Aug, 2017 6:53 pm
Lamb did come up with some surprise tactics to put the opposition off their game

:roll

User avatar
Paris Cobbs
Member
Member
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: Paris, France.
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Paris Cobbs » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 7:24 pm

1. Tim Sheens
2. Daylight
3. Ivan, on potential not performance
4. Wayne Pearce, had some early success
5. Mick Potter, had a plan, didn't have the chance to implement it
6. Terry Lamb, good footballer
7. And last, Jayson Taylor, with management tore the club apart and managed to put us in the position where our best and highest paid player was unable to continue playing for us because of the ego of the coach.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1519
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: West Pennant Hills
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 7:29 pm

I'd rate them the same Krayola.

Sheens number 1 for '05, as well 2010-2011. It was time for a new coach after 2012 though.

Ivan looks to be the goods.

Taylor - got us to within a win of the finals with what was a pretty weak squad. Low point was playing taylor ball in mid 2015. There were a few games we lost due to do nothing in attack other than 5 hit ups and a bomb.

Potter - I loved the 4 forwards off the bench, especially when Taupau/Gavet/Sue were killing it. Ultimately though he seemed to have no fire in his belly, and was neither a motivational or strategic coach.

Pearce - don't remember much of 2000 as I was only in year 3.

Lamb - also don't remember much, but I associate him with 2001 when we had the hopoate incident and the field/mcguinness drug suspensions.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors


Boonboon2
Member
Member
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 7:32 pm

Sheeens
Ivan
Pearce
Taylor
Potter
Lamb

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 7:49 pm

Sheens
Ivan

Not one else should be mentioned. Ivan might overtake Sheens.

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2544
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:13 pm

Sheens
Ivan
Potter
JT
Pearce
Lamb

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:31 pm

Ivan has done well so far but has only been here for 3/4 of a season.

Sheens is our only coach who has had any success.

User avatar
westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4634
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: with Daffy Duck, having fun
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 3:24 pm

No other coach has mentored the team to win a premiership, yet other than Tim Sheens.
Let's wait and see if Ivan can do this as well.

When Tim Sheens was announced as coach, I had a feeling the team would go well.
The same happened when Ivan Cleary was appointed.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold



" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Marshall_magic
Member
Member
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 5:33 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:02 pm

Sheens (won a premiership, had us looking sharp and playing good football)
daylight
Pearce (we were okay until injuries killed us that season)
Potter (looked good at times, but at other times we were a circus)
more daylight
Taylor (a few nice runs, otherwise it was a shambles, it seems like he fell out with everyone)
Lamb (embarrassing, we were a walking punchline under him)


Cleary probably will fall in slot number 2, although to be fair every coach apart from Sheens has been a failure here.

krayola
Member
Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:12 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by krayola » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:03 pm

westTAHger wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 3:24 pm
No other coach has mentored the team to win a premiership, yet other than Tim Sheens.
Let's wait and see if Ivan can do this as well.

When Tim Sheens was announced as coach, I had a feeling the team would go well.
The same happened when Ivan Cleary was appointed.
That's the thing though, he was in charge 9 years and got us in the 8 only three times. We managed to coach three good teams in 9 years...not particularly impressive. And it's not like he was in hot demand before he came or after he left (the Australian job doesn't count). Ive no doubt he was hamstrung by the administration for lots of those years but his position at the top of the tree will be questioned in the next two years.

User avatar
Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2102
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:08 pm

krayola wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:03 pm
westTAHger wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 3:24 pm
No other coach has mentored the team to win a premiership, yet other than Tim Sheens.
Let's wait and see if Ivan can do this as well.

When Tim Sheens was announced as coach, I had a feeling the team would go well.
The same happened when Ivan Cleary was appointed.
That's the thing though, he was in charge 9 years and got us in the 8 only three times. We managed to coach three good teams in 9 years...not particularly impressive. And it's not like he was in hot demand before he came or after he left (the Australian job doesn't count). Ive no doubt he was hamstrung by the administration for lots of those years but his position at the top of the tree will be questioned in the next two years.
Considering none of the other coaches have ever made the semis, it's relatively impressive.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18696
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:36 pm

1. Sheens
2. Taylor
3. Potter
4. Pearce
5. Lamb

I'll give Cleary a year with his own squad before adding him to the list.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9114
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:51 pm

Not sure how people rate Pearce behind Potter and JT. We were coming 2nd before everyone got injured. Taylor went close to terminally wounding the club. Potter was unlucky and deserved better but that night up in Townsville was terrible. So for me:

Sheens
Pearce
Potter
That bloke who did for 3 weeks earlier this year
= last Lamb, Taylor

Cleary probably a clear 2nd now but I'd like to see what happens next year

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18696
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 5:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:51 pm
Not sure how people rate Pearce behind Potter and JT. We were coming 2nd before everyone got injured. Taylor went close to terminally wounding the club. Potter was unlucky and deserved better but that night up in Townsville was terrible. So for me:

Sheens
Pearce
Potter
That bloke who did for 3 weeks earlier this year
= last Lamb, Taylor

Cleary probably a clear 2nd now but I'd like to see what happens next year
Taylor and Potter are pretty much neck and neck. Both had their hands tied behind their backs due to the cap situation. Taylor had a poor year in 2015, Taylorball backfired and proved to be a waste of time (though the intention was a good one). 2016 during the second half of the year we really became a lot more competitive during the second half of the year after a horror start. And got us to within one win of the finals after most tipped us to win the spoon. He also gave the S/C department a much needed overhaul.

As for Potter, he had to deal with a horror run of injuries both years he was here. We were playing a pretty good style when he was at the helm. 2014 was looking really good till the Farah/Tallis crap came up and a story broke on the morning of our biggest game of that season against the Dragons that Potter was being sacked that night. Still a disgrace how he was treated.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 5:10 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:02 pm
Sheens (won a premiership, had us looking sharp and playing good football)
daylight
Pearce (we were okay until injuries killed us that season)
Potter (looked good at times, but at other times we were a circus)
more daylight
Taylor (a few nice runs, otherwise it was a shambles, it seems like he fell out with everyone)
Lamb (embarrassing, we were a walking punchline under him)


Cleary probably will fall in slot number 2, although to be fair every coach apart from Sheens has been a failure here.
x 2

User avatar
Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1676
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 5:15 pm

Best: Sheens
Worst: Lamb

Post Reply

Return to “Wests Tigers”