851 wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 2:29 pm
colmcd wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:02 am
old man tiger wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 7:16 pm
wt00 wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 1:23 pm
Well, with two good kickers when they played in Ivan and Hodgo.. would hope they'd be able to train one of the guys up during the offseason and preseason, if it's lolohea or someone else.
Jason Taylor....
I still don't get how JT could not train anyone to be a decent kicker.
Gordon has praised JT for refining his goal kicking in the last few months, how come he couldn't coach any of our kickers to get better
JT spent 2 years improving our defence.

Harvey
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 5:12 pm

What about a goal kicking coach?

Sharpshooter Gordon credits Taylor
By Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Roosters fullback Michael Gordon credits the mid-season arrival of assistant coach Jason Taylor for his stunning goal-kicking form that has helped the Tricolours secure second spot on the Telstra Premiership ladder and home ground advantage for next week's finals showdown with the Broncos.

The veteran custodian has been one of the game's sharpest shooters over the years but there's been a noticeable improvement since Taylor re-joined the club's coaching staff in May.

Gordon slotted 23 goals from 34 attempts (68 per cent) in the first nine rounds of the season but has landed 43 shots from 50 attempts (86 per cent) since Taylor joined the coaching ranks ahead of the Round 10 win over Parramatta.

It's not as though the pair have tried to reinvent the wheel, with Gordon focussed on simplifying his approach and clearing his mind before each kick.

"He's been massive," Gordon said of Taylor's influence.

"I still work with Daryl Halligan but I've been doing a bit more one-on-one with JT. I think since he's been here I've probably been kicking closer to 90 per cent. He's been fantastic for me. I haven't tried to change anything, it's just been the way that I've focussed my approach on kicking and stuff like that so it's been really good.

"It's more the mental side of things. I haven't changed my technique or anything like that. It's probably more my thought process going into kicks.

"It's trying to keep things as simple as possible. I've always had a pretty simple technique but sometimes you over-complicate things and it goes back to narrowing it down to one or two things and staying true to that."

Goal kicking is a skill that most people take for granted, but given the Roosters have won 11 matches by six points or less – six of those by two points or less – it's clear how valuable his contributions have been in 2017.

If the Roosters had lost one of those games then they wouldn't have finished second, and at least three of those matches can be put down to Gordon's right boot.

The No.1 landed a pair of sideline conversions at the death to send their Round 16 game against the Storm to golden point – Mitchell Pearce did the rest with an absurd field goal – while Gordon has also landed clutch kicks in each of the past two games to clinch victories over the Sharks and Titans.

"Every time you kick a goal you're nervous, but with the game on the line, that stuff adds to the pressure," he said.

"I suppose that's when you've got to back your technique and back what you're doing and have faith in yourself. That's my job here so if it's on the line then that's my job to do it."

Roosters coach Trent Robinson was full of praise for his sharpshooter on Saturday afternoon after Gordon landed two tricky conversions to get his side out of trouble against the Titans.

"The first one I thought was really important. That first one from the sideline after his try was a pretty big one and then the last one, they're a bit tricky when they're 15 [metres] in," Robinson said.

"They're the ones that every goal kicker should get, but they're in an awkward spot. It's what Mick's here for, he handled the pressure well and he nailed it and he's done that really well for us this year."

vlad
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by vlad » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:00 am

Taane Milne kicked a couple of goals for Fiji yesterday. Probably hasn’t practiced much but could be one to look out for after an off season under Ivan .

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 1:23 pm

colmcd wrote:
old man tiger wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 7:16 pm
wt00 wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 1:23 pm
Well, with two good kickers when they played in Ivan and Hodgo.. would hope they'd be able to train one of the guys up during the offseason and preseason, if it's lolohea or someone else.
Jason Taylor....
The same way he couldn't train two halves to be good halves
And 1winger/centre to be a good winger/centre
And the other winger to be a good winger........etc!

colmcd
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 2:10 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 2:32 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 2:30 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 1:23 pm
colmcd wrote:
The same way he couldn't train two halves to be good halves
And 1winger/centre to be a good winger/centre
And the other winger to be a good winger........etc!
Maybe it was the players he was teaching who were the problem.
And yet he kept picking Rankin, who was suppose to be a kicker, a poor kicker and worse player
I get NONE of this. JT teaches Gordon to be a goal kicker mid season, but can't teach Brooks, Rankin, or any of our young guys. Maybe it is just the focus, as head coach he has to head coach. While as an assistant he can do 1 on 1 time with Gordon. .... But his Arse was on the line, he had a preseason.

Then he focuses on Rankin! Not Brooks, Moses or someone who was going to be on the field. I so regret thinking this guy could coach.

Cosimo_Zaretti
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 6:16 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 6:14 pm

Does anyone know of any other options in lower grades?
If they're in reserve grade then I wouldn't want them in firsts just for a slight improvement in goalkicking percentage. Tui kicked 73% in 2017, which is acceptable. We don't need another Jordan Rankin, kept in the side because no one else can kick.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by willow » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:28 pm

Sad fact at the moment is that we do not have any recognised sharp shooters in any grade.

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:36 pm

I am out of the country at present and have not seen any World Cup but did I see Milne has taken a few kicks for Fiji?? If so how did he strike the ball??

Nucky Thompson
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:01 pm

supercoach wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:36 pm
I am out of the country at present and have not seen any World Cup but did I see Milne has taken a few kicks for Fiji?? If so how did he strike the ball??
Crap

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:23 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:01 pm
supercoach wrote:
Crap
Well I guess he is not going to solve our problems

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:37 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:01 pm
supercoach wrote:
Crap

Well he was going alright yesterday until I mentioned it and put the mock on him :roll:

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 6:20 am

willow wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:28 pm
Sad fact at the moment is that we do not have any recognised sharp shooters in any grade.
Oh to be in the enviable position Penrith will be in next year with Cleary the 1st-string goalkicker and Maloney as backup. We can't even manage to have 1 decent kicker let alone have the 2 best in the NRL (besides Thurston) on our roster.
A gun goalkicker is the difference between winning or losing an extra 2 or 3 games per season, you can't afford to have an inconsistent dud.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 8:13 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Wed 08 Nov, 2017 6:20 am
willow wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:28 pm
Oh to be in the enviable position Penrith will be in next year with Cleary the 1st-string goalkicker and Maloney as backup. We can't even manage to have 1 decent kicker let alone have the 2 best in the NRL (besides Thurston) on our roster.
A gun goalkicker is the difference between winning or losing an extra 2 or 3 games per season, you can't afford to have an inconsistent dud.
This isn't accurate in terms of our kickers
Our duds are very consistent

I wonder if benji will see a lot of game time. He'd be close to our best option

tigeress
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by tigeress » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 3:39 pm

Apparently Tyson Gamble is a pretty good goal kicker, but I suppose he won't be much of a chance of getting into the top grade next season but you never know eh :pray: :pray:

sideline eye
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 10:25 pm

Well, Tui, even though he has an exaggerated approach seems to strike the ball pretty well and if Benji isn't in the side, at this stage, looks to be our goalkicker. Certainly he needs to improve but I think that, knowing he will be first choice kicker, will pay more attention to that aspect of his game and I expect (or maybe hope!) to see an improvement.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 12:43 pm

Instruct our players to score under the posts, problem solved.

Has liked: 390 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by 851 » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 1:12 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Thu 09 Nov, 2017 12:43 pm
Either that or score so many tries goal kicking won't matter.
Go hard or go home

colmcd
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by colmcd » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 3:41 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Thu 09 Nov, 2017 12:43 pm
Yea, well they need to score first! But they can let them through under the posts does that help? ;)

Return to “Wests Tigers”