Re: Nofoaluma's improvement in 2017...

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 1:33 pm

macca84 wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 1:22 pm
formerguest wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 7:43 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:58 pm
I thought his defensive reads inproved after a few weeks of Cleary coming in.
Looked to me that it was all very similar with him still coming in and often stunting the play, but with minor tweaking from Cleary, which also helped Naqaima. I noticed that the edge players seemed to still be coming up and in quickly and then holding off at a few metres on the outside, which seemed to enable them to get the opposition winger before the line on most occasions if the ball got there.
Yeah his defence is still the same. Just look at the Manly game at Leichhardt. If he doesn't take those 2 intercepts then he lets in 2 easy tries
I am glad Nofoluma listened to the Coaches instructions in taking those intercepts...changed the game...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

jirskyr
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 2:01 pm

I would say Nofo still made plenty of defensive errors when Cleary first came in, and Cleary did talk several times this year about players being re-coached but still falling to old habits - surely Nofo fell into that category.

Towards end of season we definitely sured up our edge defence, though it was still more vulnerable than it should have been. I felt Marsters was a significant reason for that RHS improvement (removing MCK), because he made better reads and was faster and stronger to manage his opposite centres. Also we started to implement the slide defensive structure more effectively, which stops Nofo from charging in from his wing.

There are also other factors IMO:
- Moses leaving, which was always a core weakness - made his backrowers and centres so nervous with his misreads
- Twal and Hooth filling the centre, which meant Taylor could defend wider and the whole forwards' defensive structure and success improved 100% once that rotation was given a few games.
- we played some generally poor opposition towards the end of the year like Titans and Warriors, though I felt the defence still held well enough against higher quality sides like Roosters and Panthers.

swag tiger
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 4:13 pm

This video shows how important he has been to the team since 2013. I sure am glade he sign on for another 4 years.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 5:13 pm

Toowoomba Tiger wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 8:43 am
For mine its no coincidence that his defence improved shortly after Ivan came in and addressed the right edge defence.

Partly Ivans defensive structure, but more-so, no more Moses and Kevvie defending inside him or the likes of Lovett.

He still let his opposite winger get on the outside of him a few times but thats Rugby League and happens to every winger in every team.

He has also got alot more confidence under the high ball and has taken most of them in the back half of the season.

I've got a lot more confidence when opposition attacks that side of the field now and one of the reasons I'd be tempted to leave Masters at centre inside him.
Its funny that we can follow the same team, analysing the same things and see things so differently. I would disagree with 90% of what you have stated

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 7:48 am

steve-o wrote:
Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:27 pm
I thought he had a good year, but I'm not convinced he was better than last year. Looked like he was struggling a bit with niggling injuries.
It's funny that he's been struggling with this injury for about 5 years now.....its called being a slow winger syndrome. However I can't mistake his passion for the tigers tho.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Return to “Wests Tigers”