Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 225 times
Been liked: 343 times

Nofoaluma's improvement in 2017...

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 3:03 pm

Nofoaluma's improvement stands out in 2017

Dan Talintyre

Wed 13th September, 03:00PM

There’s a case — and a fairly substantial one — for Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma being the Most Improved Player in the NRL in season 2017.

But the growth of a player from year-to-year isn’t always the easiest thing to measure.

It’s something that’s often talked about with Most Improved and the like, but it’s not the most straightforward thing to narrow down. Is a player going from three tries scored to six tries scored in a year growth? Conversely, could a three-try season also be growth, despite the fact a certain player might have crossed for more tries in the year before?

At the end of the regular season, NRL.com posed the question as to whether winger David Nofoaluma had seen the biggest individual growth as a player in the NRL in 2017.

Capping off a superb season with a team-high 240 metres, two linebreaks and a try, it was certainly a fair shout — particularly given the Campbelltown junior had pumped out similar numbers all season, despite his side failing to finish in the top eight.

Ever since Nofoaluma’s debut season in 2013, it was clear that the kid could play — ending the year with match-winning tries and the Dally M Try of the Year to his name.

But consistency was the key and for Nofoaluma, like all young players, that took time.

Hampered by niggling knee injuries in 2014 and 2015, Nofoaluma would struggle to find that consistency before eventually stringing it together in 2016 — ending the year as the team’s leading try-scorer with 14 tries, while also leading the NRL for tackle busts (132).

Missing just one game, his work rate was up amongst the best wingers in the NRL — running for more metres than the likes of Suliasi Vunivalu and Semi Radradra.

Looking back on 2016, Nofoaluma issued somewhat of a warning of what could come in 2017, saying “it’s exciting to know what I can do when I get more games in to me.”

“I felt better and better as each game went on,” he enthused.

Off the back of an international debut for Samoa that saw him not return to pre-season training until December, Nofoaluma immediately hit the ground running — desperate to improve on last year’s numbers and etch his name as one of the top wingers in the game.

His Round 1 performance would prove that goal was perhaps closer than first thought, running for over 200 metres, popping five offloads and busting tackles for fun as Wests Tigers ran riot over the South Sydney Rabbitohs. There might not have been the try in the corner that is so often the marker of success for a winger but it was certainly pointed to what was to come for Nofoaluma in 2017 and the remarkable numbers that were set to follow.

Averaging over 180 metres per game through the opening two months of the year, Nofoaluma re-signed with Wests Tigers on a four-year deal, with Coach Ivan Cleary’s comments on the winger showing exactly how he felt about the local junior’s progress.

“David is in a position now where he can help lead this Club in to the future and help it reach its potential,” he said, pointing to the 23-year-old’s growth as a player and leader.

Playing every game throughout the year for the first time in his career, Nofoaluma ended a tough season for Wests Tigers with eight tries and 15 linebreaks to his name — numbers that are impressive, but are still well down on what others had achieved.

— Only WT player to play every game.
— 4th in NRL, Total Metres.
— 3rd in NRL, Offloads.
— 5th in NRL, Tackle Breaks.

Vunivalu and Radradra had doubled (almost triped) him in tries, Jordan Rapana had 10 more linebreaks, and boom rooke Nick Cotric racked up greater numbers in both.

But as mentioned before, does that define growth and improvement?

Comparing Nofoaluma to the names mentioned above, while the attacking numbers might not have been there this year simply through the lack of attacking opportunities that he had last season when his side finished 9th, his work rate was still ever-present.

Nofoaluma had more running metres than any winger this year. More carries too.

More offloads than any outside back except Tim Lafai. More intercepts than anyone.

And it’s perhaps here where we see his biggest claims for the Most Improved in 2017.

Nofoaluma’s work-rate in 2016 was superb — 3064 metres, 338 carries, 132 tackle breaks, 38 offloads and 17 linebreaks. And yet, in 2017, it increased exponentially.

His running metres for the year increased by more than 100, despite less linebreaks. His total runs improved by more than 100, despite his side ranking 12th in possession. His offloads increased, as did his tackle breaks, and it’s now that we start to see the full picture as to his growth as a player. Sure, the attacking stats that were subjective to other players’ performances have dropped off, but Nofoaluma’s work-rate never did.

His marked improvement in work-rate was combined with an increased consistency not seen before the 2017 season — bringing about the comments we alluded to earlier as to whether Nofoaluma was the most improved player in the competition this season.

Ultimately, we’ll never know, but there’s certainly a case to make for the Wests Tigers flyer, who was voted by the players of the game itself as one of the best wingers— ahead of the likes of Vulivalu, Radradra and Josh Addo-Carr, who have all scored far more tries.

Off-season surgery will likely see Nofoaluma miss the chance to stake his claim amongst the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, instead returning for pre-season training in November.

But with another full pre-season under his belt and a host of new players around him next year, the sky is certainly the limit for what the Campbelltown kid can achieve.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017 ... rovem.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Earl
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 4:48 pm

Nofo had a great year and he loves the club. What a champion.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 5:32 pm

His effort definitely improved 100% & that has never been poor. Would be great if he could pick up a few extra metres of pace as we're lacking a winger who can really go the length of the field.

BeeJay

Unread post by BeeJay » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:33 pm

Looked like he was carrying an injury for most of the season too..
Good effort from a player that shows plenty of passion for the club.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:41 pm

So glad he is at the club for another 4 years.

He is such a legend and plays with passion and pride.

Unlucky to miss out on the Kelly-Barnes medal.

He is definitely among the top wingers in the NRL and with a better roster and a preseason with Ivan, it would be good to see Nofoaluma top the try-scoring tally.

voice of reason
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by voice of reason » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:50 pm

Very nice bloke too - a good ambassador for the club.
Suffering supporter since 1967

kiwitiger
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by kiwitiger » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:54 pm

Ok I'll be Debbie downer then. His attack has always been good. His speed and defense not so. Really be good if it was his weaknesses that were improving. Be the complete winger then.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:58 pm

I thought his defensive reads inproved after a few weeks of Cleary coming in.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:02 pm

His carries are impressive and his attitude impecable ....however, he didnt improve one iota in his areas of deficiency.
Still slow, still cant jump and still lets dozens and dozens of tries in down his wing. We need him to be better and he needs to improve to gaurantee he is in the side consistently next year.

tiger_one
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tiger_one » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:02 pm

If he's played this year with the injuries that are said, he's been massive and once back fit, will be an asset, the team loves him!

Starling
Has liked: 8 times

Unread post by Starling » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:09 pm

Did he improve? He was great at the end of last year. A beast. I don't think he quite reached the heights of last year, but he was still very good. I'm a big fan.

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:27 pm

I thought he had a good year, but I'm not convinced he was better than last year. Looked like he was struggling a bit with niggling injuries.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 8:04 pm

stryker wrote:
Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:02 pm
still cant jump

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 186 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 8:28 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Thu 14 Sep, 2017 8:04 pm
stryker wrote:
Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:02 pm
still cant jump
He didn't get up that high, it was the way he manoeuvred himself in mid air that made it look spectacular.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by willow » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 3:27 am

Let's see what changes Cleary brings to the team's defensive structure during the off-season and whether Nofo can improve his defence. If he can start saving tries instead of conceding them then that will be a real indicator of his improvement.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 7:43 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:58 pm
Looked to me that it was all very similar with him still coming in and often stunting the play, but with minor tweaking from Cleary, which also helped Naqaima. I noticed that the edge players seemed to still be coming up and in quickly and then holding off at a few metres on the outside, which seemed to enable them to get the opposition winger before the line on most occasions if the ball got there.

Toowoomba Tiger
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Toowoomba Tiger » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 8:43 am

For mine its no coincidence that his defence improved shortly after Ivan came in and addressed the right edge defence.

Partly Ivans defensive structure, but more-so, no more Moses and Kevvie defending inside him or the likes of Lovett.

He still let his opposite winger get on the outside of him a few times but thats Rugby League and happens to every winger in every team.

He has also got alot more confidence under the high ball and has taken most of them in the back half of the season.

I've got a lot more confidence when opposition attacks that side of the field now and one of the reasons I'd be tempted to leave Masters at centre inside him.
previously known as 'The Tooth'

macca84
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by macca84 » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 1:22 pm

formerguest wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 7:43 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:58 pm
Looked to me that it was all very similar with him still coming in and often stunting the play, but with minor tweaking from Cleary, which also helped Naqaima. I noticed that the edge players seemed to still be coming up and in quickly and then holding off at a few metres on the outside, which seemed to enable them to get the opposition winger before the line on most occasions if the ball got there.
Yeah his defence is still the same. Just look at the Manly game at Leichhardt. If he doesn't take those 2 intercepts then he lets in 2 easy tries

Return to “Wests Tigers”