How Russell Packer turned from inmate to university graduate

Wests Tigers Discussion
upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: How Russell Packer turned from inmate to university graduate

Unread post by upthetigers » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:22 pm

The way I see it is that we needed more mongrel in our pack and that we got. He has a NRL contract if he isn't playing for us he'd be playing against us.

I just care about the team and not any individual player. Not gonna make the same mistake as I did with Teddy. It is hard to leave emotion out of it though.

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 1:37 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 1:48 pm
Tig prmz... Research denial & addiction.... You say at any point from 12 to the offence he could've sought help, unfortunately addiction - denial a big factor- is very powerful and seeking help often comes from something drastic (rock bottom)
it's not right that rock bottom involved at the expense of the wellbeing of another individual
i agree, addiction is a tough trait, however that response was in relation to "blame the society", RP has one person to blame and no matter what anyone else says, that to me is an unparalleled truth
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Telltails
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by Telltails » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 7:58 am

Russell Packer is a very lucky young man thanks largely to St George for giving him a break when many were reluctant.
His form has allowed him to take advantage of what the NRL offers.
And good form has a way of finding forgiveness/tolerance understanding from many NRL fans. Watch the attitudes change if he doesnt reach the expectations of his very healthy salary next year.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 9:20 am

I'll preface with saying what he did to the fellow he assaulted was reprehensible. He should never forget his actions, and they should serve as a constant reminder and driving force for him to do better by people in future. I am not thrilled by his signing on that basis, however as much as I don't like it, he was tried, judged and punished accordingly and has served his time.

I've been where his victim was. Blindsided and messed up at a club by a drunken lunatic for simply being there with a woman he fancied. I've never forgotten the bastard nor that I had a fractured eye socket and still have obstructed airways thanks to his handiwork. If the club security hadn't jumped in when they did well who knows what damage he could have done.

Unlike many in society who have stood where he has, he has made the most of opportunity afforded to him post incarceration. Many go on to re-offend (granted, many offenders don't have the ability to be first grade footballers and enjoy what spoils that come from that,) and never break the cycle. I'm not going to sit on my high horse and harp on about how the guy is scum, because while I've never assaulted someone I have treated people poorly in the past, there could be all sorts of ramifications that come from that. All actions have repercussions, he has chosen to better himself and break the cycle. I acknowledge that.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 9:48 am

We are all acknowledging that he has turned his life around.
I objected to the tone of that article. Riccio and Packer have got together and told half the story and Riccio especially has attacked RL followers who dont like what Packer did and havent forgiven him.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 9:55 am

stryker wrote:
Mon 18 Sep, 2017 9:48 am
We are all acknowledging that he has turned his life around.
I objected to the tone of that article. Riccio and Packer have got together and told half the story and Riccio especially has attacked RL followers who dont like what Packer did and havent forgiven him.
There's nothing wrong with people who haven't forgiven him. I see both sides of the argument, and I sit somewhere in the middle.

I do object to people who think just because he did a short stint in the clink and hasn't put a foot out of line since absolves him of his sins.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:17 am

Just out of left field here ...how much will we be paying him?
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Return to “Wests Tigers”