How Russell Packer turned from inmate to university graduate

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: How Russell Packer turned from inmate to university graduate

Unread post by old man tiger » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 9:54 pm

I don't think it would be healthy for him or the victim to dredge up that incident in every interview. He did a bad thing, but I'd hate to know what's hiding in some of your closets, especially when you're drunk.

A few real tough guys here who benefit from being anonymous on the net, no one would know if they were wife beaters, rapists or murderers but they take every opportunity to show their superiority to others.

I can understand the opinion that he shouldn't have been let back into the game, and held it myself. However, it isn't up to him to rule himself out. If the NRL registered his contract, then at least it has opened a door for him to better himself, and you can really just leave it at that and move on.


voice of reason
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by voice of reason » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:09 pm

I applaud him performing well at Uni in an effort to redeem himself. I'd be even more impressed if he'd been in touch with the victim's family to see if there's anything he could do to redeem himself in their eyes.
Regardless, he's now 'one of us' and I hope his performances (and behaviour) are exceptional.
Suffering supporter since 1967

Enmoretiger
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 4:35 pm
Location: Enmore
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Enmoretiger » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:32 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 8:12 pm
Mccarry wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 1:03 pm
stryker wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:16 pm
Not one mention or concern for the bloke he stomped out, all about the effects on him. Total scum.
Stryker, alcohol is a plague on society. Him being exposed to it at 12 years old is child abuse. From that point on the development of his character and decision making was highly likely to be impaired.

Yes what he did is wrong.

People like you love to dish out the word scum. It makes you feel good. You see the vision of his savage and horrible attack and subconsciously you reason "I would never do that, I am much better than that"

You then judge him and determine that the line between good and bad people is drawn right down the middle of you and Russell.

A friend of mine, Michael teaches primary school kids. One lesson Michael asked the kids to make a list of good and bad actions. They made a list of lying, stealing, fighting with brother or sister, caring for others, charity work, listening to parents, hugging someone who is sad, Murder etc

Michael then asked them to put the list in order from most good the worst bad. The children arranged the list across the classroom floor debating as they went.

Michael then instructed them to go and stand on the list on the point where they would call someone 'good'. The kids ran to their spot, arranged roughly along the line favouring the middle section.

The last instruction was for each kid to now move to where they measure themselves.

No-one moved.

Michael explained to me that he has done the exercise dozens of times. Each child defines societies divide between good and bad people by the spot on the line where they are considered good.

Stryker you may not stomp on someone's head but I guarantee you love eating out dispite knowing you could save a starving Sirian refuge with the money. If you stood in a room with the mother of that Sirian child I guarantee she would look at you as far more evil than a reformed Packer.

Packer has faced his own evil. He has taken responsibility for his choice and committed to being a better version of himself.

I friend of mine met him this year. One who now barely writes on here because of all the negativity. He said, "you could barely imagine a nicer bloke". Packer gave him loads of time, took an interest in him and represented himself very well.

I am glad he is now a Tiger. Welcome to the Tiges Russell. I respect what you have done with your life since recovering.

Love the distinctions in your results.
Cute anecdotes. Packer is scum.
Btw, Ive been to Syria, Ive worked there....have you? Spare me the introductory level psychology.
Packer has made an attempt to turn his life around, if that is the case; he will be a better human
A cynical response is both shallow and imature
If you keep throwing a blanket over people with your declarations of what they are, you might find your self also under that blanket
Try and show some humanity

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm

As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.

Mccarry
Member
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 5:06 pm
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Mccarry » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm

Tigers17 wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 1:56 pm
Mccarry wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 1:03 pm
stryker wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:16 pm
Not one mention or concern for the bloke he stomped out, all about the effects on him. Total scum.
Stryker, alcohol is a plague on society. Him being exposed to it at 12 years old is child abuse. From that point on the development of his character and decision making was highly likely to be impaired.

Yes what he did is wrong.

People like you love to dish out the word scum. It makes you feel good. You see the vision of his savage and horrible attack and subconsciously you reason "I would never do that, I am much better than that"

You then judge him and determine that the line between good and bad people is drawn right down the middle of you and Russell.

A friend of mine, Michael teaches primary school kids. One lesson Michael asked the kids to make a list of good and bad actions. They made a list of lying, stealing, fighting with brother or sister, caring for others, charity work, listening to parents, hugging someone who is sad, Murder etc

Michael then asked them to put the list in order from most good the worst bad. The children arranged the list across the classroom floor debating as they went.

Michael then instructed them to go and stand on the list on the point where they would call someone 'good'. The kids ran to their spot, arranged roughly along the line favouring the middle section.

The last instruction was for each kid to now move to where they measure themselves.

No-one moved.

Michael explained to me that he has done the exercise dozens of times. Each child defines societies divide between good and bad people by the spot on the line where they are considered good.

Stryker you may not stomp on someone's head but I guarantee you love eating out dispite knowing you could save a starving Sirian refuge with the money. If you stood in a room with the mother of that Sirian child I guarantee she would look at you as far more evil than a reformed Packer.

Packer has faced his own evil. He has taken responsibility for his choice and committed to being a better version of himself.

I friend of mine met him this year. One who now barely writes on here because of all the negativity. He said, "you could barely imagine a nicer bloke". Packer gave him loads of time, took an interest in him and represented himself very well.

I am glad he is now a Tiger. Welcome to the Tiges Russell. I respect what you have done with your life since recovering.

Love the distinctions in your results.
Brilliant. Please contribute more often.
Tigers17, thanks for the compliment.


User avatar
2041
Member
Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by 2041 » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:50 pm

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 3:06 pm
quite a few PC SJWs virtue signalling on this forum :bawling
Is that something you struggle with, snowflake?

User avatar
2041
Member
Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by 2041 » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:52 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
Ok, here's a question. What would you do with someone like Russell Packer? Death penalty? Life in jail? Exile to Van Diemen's Land? Please: don't go for a cliche or a "whatabout" - tell me what you think we should do with people like Russell Packer.

User avatar
Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Second Heaven
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:56 pm

2041 wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:52 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
Ok, here's a question. What would you do with someone like Russell Packer? Death penalty? Life in jail? Exile to Van Diemen's Land? Please: don't go for a cliche or a "whatabout" - tell me what you think we should do with people like Russell Packer.
Sign them up to play for the mighty Wests Tigers! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Second Heaven
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:57 pm

Enmoretiger wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:32 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 8:12 pm
Mccarry wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 1:03 pm
stryker wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:16 pm
Not one mention or concern for the bloke he stomped out, all about the effects on him. Total scum.
Stryker, alcohol is a plague on society. Him being exposed to it at 12 years old is child abuse. From that point on the development of his character and decision making was highly likely to be impaired.

Yes what he did is wrong.

People like you love to dish out the word scum. It makes you feel good. You see the vision of his savage and horrible attack and subconsciously you reason "I would never do that, I am much better than that"

You then judge him and determine that the line between good and bad people is drawn right down the middle of you and Russell.

A friend of mine, Michael teaches primary school kids. One lesson Michael asked the kids to make a list of good and bad actions. They made a list of lying, stealing, fighting with brother or sister, caring for others, charity work, listening to parents, hugging someone who is sad, Murder etc

Michael then asked them to put the list in order from most good the worst bad. The children arranged the list across the classroom floor debating as they went.

Michael then instructed them to go and stand on the list on the point where they would call someone 'good'. The kids ran to their spot, arranged roughly along the line favouring the middle section.

The last instruction was for each kid to now move to where they measure themselves.

No-one moved.

Michael explained to me that he has done the exercise dozens of times. Each child defines societies divide between good and bad people by the spot on the line where they are considered good.

Stryker you may not stomp on someone's head but I guarantee you love eating out dispite knowing you could save a starving Sirian refuge with the money. If you stood in a room with the mother of that Sirian child I guarantee she would look at you as far more evil than a reformed Packer.

Packer has faced his own evil. He has taken responsibility for his choice and committed to being a better version of himself.

I friend of mine met him this year. One who now barely writes on here because of all the negativity. He said, "you could barely imagine a nicer bloke". Packer gave him loads of time, took an interest in him and represented himself very well.

I am glad he is now a Tiger. Welcome to the Tiges Russell. I respect what you have done with your life since recovering.

Love the distinctions in your results.
Cute anecdotes. Packer is scum.
Btw, Ive been to Syria, Ive worked there....have you? Spare me the introductory level psychology.
Packer has made an attempt to turn his life around, if that is the case; he will be a better human
A cynical response is both shallow and imature
If you keep throwing a blanket over people with your declarations of what they are, you might find your self also under that blanket
Try and show some humanity
He's already under that blanket, trust me :lol:

Enmoretiger
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 4:35 pm
Location: Enmore
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Enmoretiger » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:59 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
You are obviously a extremely opinionsted person who only sees things as black or white, good luck with that

Mccarry
Member
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 5:06 pm
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Mccarry » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 11:01 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
Stryker you sound so painfully self righteous and wise. How did you become so wise?

Do you wash your clothes twice a day? Surely by mid day they are too dirty for your pure righteous soul.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 11:21 pm

Mccarry wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 11:01 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
Stryker you sound so painfully self righteous and wise. How did you become so wise?

Do you wash your clothes twice a day? Surely by mid day they are too dirty for your pure righteous soul.
Lol dont get all snippy it goes against the persona you tried to create with your original post.
BTW i knew that was fake as well 8-)

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 11:23 pm

Enmoretiger wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:59 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
You are obviously a extremely opinionsted person who only sees things as black or white, good luck with that
Yes i am opinionsted <---- Can you check that word for me please? It doesnt look right.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 11:27 pm

2041 wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:52 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
Ok, here's a question. What would you do with someone like Russell Packer? Death penalty? Life in jail? Exile to Van Diemen's Land? Please: don't go for a cliche or a "whatabout" - tell me what you think we should do with people like Russell Packer.
He copped prison time, so what i think should have been done was.

maxxy86
Member
Member
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri 04 Mar, 2011 11:54 am
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 7:34 am

macca84 wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 3:33 pm
I'm still unsold on him. I hate what he did, and I don't think he should be playing NRL, but he's genuinely turned his life around for the better and taken his second chance. But if he didn't have the Dragons paying his legal bills he would have been deported. I mean if he wasn't a footballer and just another average guy we wouldn't be saying the same things about him.

I really hope he can show me I'm wrong though
Yeah I'm in your camp macca on packer, I never liked the signing from the start. However I'm sure he is turning his life around and hope he continues on the right path. If he gets on the bus and performs I'll be happy.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4965
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 7:57 am

Packer has taken the opportunity to be a better person,he has and still is REHABILITATING thats what gaol and councelling is for...if he was like some others he would have came out and re-offended...he still may,however he appears to be doing the right thing for his future,his family and himself...well done Packer...as far as showing remorse to the victim,I have no idea if he has tried to contact the victim or the family,so I cant judge wether he has faced the demons of his past and apoligised to them,thats up to him..BUT at least he himself knows that his actions were pretty low and now wants to be a better human being..
I have made mistakes the same as Packer has and have "copped my punishment"and I didn't blame anyone else or the piss at the time...I had to man up so to speak and maybe Russel has,who knows...

Heres a quote for our mate Stryker who apparently if free of mistakes and is clean living,he maybe the exception....

LET HE WHO HAS NOT SINNED,CAST THE FIRST STONE...... :pray:
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3822
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 8:45 am

Under the influence of grog I saw an excellent guy turn into a murderer - purely the grog but his mates would take him out drinking. After getting off the charge he was again an excellent guy - justice??? Blame our grog-filled societies.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
2041
Member
Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by 2041 » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 8:55 am

stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 11:27 pm
2041 wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:52 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
Ok, here's a question. What would you do with someone like Russell Packer? Death penalty? Life in jail? Exile to Van Diemen's Land? Please: don't go for a cliche or a "whatabout" - tell me what you think we should do with people like Russell Packer.
He copped prison time, so what i think should have been done was.
So we agree. He's paid his debt to society or however you want to put it, and after that presumably we're both happy for him to earn a living. If he can also be a better person shouldn't we at least be happy for him (and, presumably, for the people who will remain un-assaulted now he's out of that game)? Seems sort of like the best-case outcome from a bad situation to me.

Post Reply

Return to “Wests Tigers”