How Russell Packer turned from inmate to university graduate

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
chickenkebabs
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 8:39 pm
Location: Mosman

Re: How Russell Packer turned from inmate to university graduate

Unread post by chickenkebabs » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 9:09 am

No way I'm going to cast a stone cause god knows I'd be surrounded by broken glass.


Enmoretiger
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 4:35 pm
Location: Enmore
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Enmoretiger » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 9:55 am

stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 11:23 pm
Enmoretiger wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:59 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:45 pm
As i said, he showed no contrition in that interview other than what his actions did to him and his family, then the author chastises his own audience as you are now.

Blame grog, blame upbringing, blame society....a person has to have the evil in them to do what he did. Obviously not everyone can see it. I certainly can. He is turning his life around...good on him. Still a scumbag though and he knows it.
You are obviously a extremely opinionsted person who only sees things as black or white, good luck with that
Yes i am opinionsted <---- Can you check that word for me please? It doesnt look right.
Sorry, my mistake; opinionated was the word I was after. Belligerent is also another word one could use

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18705
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 186 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:47 am

angry ant wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:39 am
Please this guy is no role model and should not be celebrated at all. I came from a pretty crappy environment, exposed to all sorts of things but I chose not to go down that path. I didn't commit despicable acts on others and I never expect others to help me just because I'm good at one thing.

Oh to have had 'rugby league' skills and being afforded a free education. To have been given the structure that this guy has, a manager, welfare officers, the salary, clubs that bend over backwards and provide free meals, cars, everything is taken care of and they still find ways & other things to blame.

Packer is a P.O.S of the highest order, I don't care what he has done since, the fact is he has shown what he is already capable of and the media trying to make this out as some sort of redemption story and not concentrate on others who don't disgrace the game, their family and other innocents, is pathetic journalism. This guy has been very lucky to get a 2nd/3rd/4th chance.

I cannot throw away my love of the club as it is something that I grew up with but the officials that led to this signing have a lot to be desired.
In other words, no one has a right to redemption?

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25232
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 191 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:00 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 8:45 am
Under the influence of grog I saw an excellent guy turn into a murderer - purely the grog but his mates would take him out drinking. After getting off the charge he was again an excellent guy - justice??? Blame our grog-filled societies.
Did he have the evil in him regardless of the grog influence?
There are very few purely evil people.... People do evil things tho.
I've known a few as well who in a moment of madness and under the influence have destroyed not only someone else's life but their own.
Only a person that needs help can seek it himself...no one else can do it. If these mistakes keep happening under the influence then that can't be forgiven... But sometimes rock bottom is what it takes to make people wake up- seek help and realise they're killing themselves and others
Credit to Packer for learning from his offensive and bettering himself... He had two choices, he chose the best one.

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3165
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:11 am

Mccarry wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 1:03 pm
stryker wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:16 pm
Not one mention or concern for the bloke he stomped out, all about the effects on him. Total scum.
Stryker, alcohol is a plague on society. Him being exposed to it at 12 years old is child abuse. From that point on the development of his character and decision making was highly likely to be impaired.

Yes what he did is wrong.

People like you love to dish out the word scum. It makes you feel good. You see the vision of his savage and horrible attack and subconsciously you reason "I would never do that, I am much better than that"

You then judge him and determine that the line between good and bad people is drawn right down the middle of you and Russell.

A friend of mine, Michael teaches primary school kids. One lesson Michael asked the kids to make a list of good and bad actions. They made a list of lying, stealing, fighting with brother or sister, caring for others, charity work, listening to parents, hugging someone who is sad, Murder etc

Michael then asked them to put the list in order from most good the worst bad. The children arranged the list across the classroom floor debating as they went.

Michael then instructed them to go and stand on the list on the point where they would call someone 'good'. The kids ran to their spot, arranged roughly along the line favouring the middle section.

The last instruction was for each kid to now move to where they measure themselves.

No-one moved.

Michael explained to me that he has done the exercise dozens of times. Each child defines societies divide between good and bad people by the spot on the line where they are considered good.

Stryker you may not stomp on someone's head but I guarantee you love eating out dispite knowing you could save a starving Sirian refuge with the money. If you stood in a room with the mother of that Sirian child I guarantee she would look at you as far more evil than a reformed Packer.

Packer has faced his own evil. He has taken responsibility for his choice and committed to being a better version of himself.

I friend of mine met him this year. One who now barely writes on here because of all the negativity. He said, "you could barely imagine a nicer bloke". Packer gave him loads of time, took an interest in him and represented himself very well.

I am glad he is now a Tiger. Welcome to the Tiges Russell. I respect what you have done with your life since recovering.

Love the distinctions in your results.
A. Lucky he didn't ask them to go and stand on someone's head.
B. And, seriously, we're all supposed to feel guilty and depressed about eating because someone else in the world is starving... and that's a strange comparison to jumping on someones cranium when you're drunk.
As for Packer - it's good he's at least trying to get past his demons but lets not make him out to be Mother Theresa.


angry ant
Member
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:49 am
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by angry ant » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:12 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:47 am
angry ant wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:39 am
Please this guy is no role model and should not be celebrated at all. I came from a pretty crappy environment, exposed to all sorts of things but I chose not to go down that path. I didn't commit despicable acts on others and I never expect others to help me just because I'm good at one thing.

Oh to have had 'rugby league' skills and being afforded a free education. To have been given the structure that this guy has, a manager, welfare officers, the salary, clubs that bend over backwards and provide free meals, cars, everything is taken care of and they still find ways & other things to blame.

Packer is a P.O.S of the highest order, I don't care what he has done since, the fact is he has shown what he is already capable of and the media trying to make this out as some sort of redemption story and not concentrate on others who don't disgrace the game, their family and other innocents, is pathetic journalism. This guy has been very lucky to get a 2nd/3rd/4th chance.

I cannot throw away my love of the club as it is something that I grew up with but the officials that led to this signing have a lot to be desired.
In other words, no one has a right to redemption?
Where did I say no-one has a right to redemption? What act of redemption has he done? Has he repaid the community for the costs of his incarceration? Has he provided compensation to the people he committed criminal acts upon? Or has he just attempted to redeem his and his families own wellbeing?

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25232
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 191 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:21 am

angry ant wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:39 am
Please this guy is no role model and should not be celebrated at all. I came from a pretty crappy environment, exposed to all sorts of things but I chose not to go down that path. I didn't commit despicable acts on others and I never expect others to help me just because I'm good at one thing.

Oh to have had 'rugby league' skills and being afforded a free education. To have been given the structure that this guy has, a manager, welfare officers, the salary, clubs that bend over backwards and provide free meals, cars, everything is taken care of and they still find ways & other things to blame.

Packer is a P.O.S of the highest order, I don't care what he has done since, the fact is he has shown what he is already capable of and the media trying to make this out as some sort of redemption story and not concentrate on others who don't disgrace the game, their family and other innocents, is pathetic journalism. This guy has been very lucky to get a 2nd/3rd/4th chance.

I cannot throw away my love of the club as it is something that I grew up with but the officials that led to this signing have a lot to be desired.
Nothing personal.
You may be mistake free but gee you sure sound bitter and angry... Apt username... It's not a perfect world.
Forgiveness is as much for yourself as it is for the other party... It's beneficial and from your post it seems like it would do you some good

angry ant
Member
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:49 am
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by angry ant » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:50 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:21 am
angry ant wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:39 am
Please this guy is no role model and should not be celebrated at all. I came from a pretty crappy environment, exposed to all sorts of things but I chose not to go down that path. I didn't commit despicable acts on others and I never expect others to help me just because I'm good at one thing.

Oh to have had 'rugby league' skills and being afforded a free education. To have been given the structure that this guy has, a manager, welfare officers, the salary, clubs that bend over backwards and provide free meals, cars, everything is taken care of and they still find ways & other things to blame.

Packer is a P.O.S of the highest order, I don't care what he has done since, the fact is he has shown what he is already capable of and the media trying to make this out as some sort of redemption story and not concentrate on others who don't disgrace the game, their family and other innocents, is pathetic journalism. This guy has been very lucky to get a 2nd/3rd/4th chance.

I cannot throw away my love of the club as it is something that I grew up with but the officials that led to this signing have a lot to be desired.
Nothing personal.
You may be mistake free but gee you sure sound bitter and angry... Apt username... It's not a perfect world.
Forgiveness is as much for yourself as it is for the other party... It's beneficial and from your post it seems like it would do you some good
What? Forgiveness, would do me some good? Am I meant to forgive Packer? Seriously... Sorry mr 24 year old guy with 2 young kids stomping on people heads, please forgive me for forming an opinion on you. Now would you mind please paying back some of your earnings to me for the taxes I paid to lock up your ass for your crimes.

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25232
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 191 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:55 am

Lol
You can't see it but so far, in this case at least, it appears your (and my) taxes have been well spent

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3822
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:56 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:00 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 8:45 am
Under the influence of grog I saw an excellent guy turn into a murderer - purely the grog but his mates would take him out drinking. After getting off the charge he was again an excellent guy - justice??? Blame our grog-filled societies.
Did he have the evil in him regardless of the grog influence?
There are very few purely evil people.... People do evil things tho.
I've known a few as well who in a moment of madness and under the influence have destroyed not only someone else's life but their own.
Only a person that needs help can seek it himself...no one else can do it. If these mistakes keep happening under the influence then that can't be forgiven... But sometimes rock bottom is what it takes to make people wake up- seek help and realise they're killing themselves and others
Credit to Packer for learning from his offensive and bettering himself... He had two choices, he chose the best one.
No evil when away from the grog - a responsible hard working family man. He became a real nasty species when drunk.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Mccarry
Member
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 5:06 pm
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Mccarry » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:56 am

cktiger wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:11 am
Mccarry wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 1:03 pm
stryker wrote:
Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:16 pm
Not one mention or concern for the bloke he stomped out, all about the effects on him. Total scum.
Stryker, alcohol is a plague on society. Him being exposed to it at 12 years old is child abuse. From that point on the development of his character and decision making was highly likely to be impaired.

Yes what he did is wrong.

People like you love to dish out the word scum. It makes you feel good. You see the vision of his savage and horrible attack and subconsciously you reason "I would never do that, I am much better than that"

You then judge him and determine that the line between good and bad people is drawn right down the middle of you and Russell.

A friend of mine, Michael teaches primary school kids. One lesson Michael asked the kids to make a list of good and bad actions. They made a list of lying, stealing, fighting with brother or sister, caring for others, charity work, listening to parents, hugging someone who is sad, Murder etc

Michael then asked them to put the list in order from most good the worst bad. The children arranged the list across the classroom floor debating as they went.

Michael then instructed them to go and stand on the list on the point where they would call someone 'good'. The kids ran to their spot, arranged roughly along the line favouring the middle section.

The last instruction was for each kid to now move to where they measure themselves.

No-one moved.

Michael explained to me that he has done the exercise dozens of times. Each child defines societies divide between good and bad people by the spot on the line where they are considered good.

Stryker you may not stomp on someone's head but I guarantee you love eating out dispite knowing you could save a starving Sirian refuge with the money. If you stood in a room with the mother of that Sirian child I guarantee she would look at you as far more evil than a reformed Packer.

Packer has faced his own evil. He has taken responsibility for his choice and committed to being a better version of himself.

I friend of mine met him this year. One who now barely writes on here because of all the negativity. He said, "you could barely imagine a nicer bloke". Packer gave him loads of time, took an interest in him and represented himself very well.

I am glad he is now a Tiger. Welcome to the Tiges Russell. I respect what you have done with your life since recovering.

Love the distinctions in your results.
A. Lucky he didn't ask them to go and stand on someone's head.
B. And, seriously, we're all supposed to feel guilty and depressed about eating because someone else in the world is starving... and that's a strange comparison to jumping on someones cranium when you're drunk.
As for Packer - it's good he's at least trying to get past his demons but lets not make him out to be Mother Theresa.
Cktiger, it's not about feeling guilty. Eating out can be a wonderful thing. Enjoying a meal with friends, family or even just appreciating great food.

My point is the concept of good is relative and typically defined by each individual in a way that makes them feel good about themselves.

The convenient self determination of good allows us all to not ask ourselves 'How can I contribute today?' How can I be better today?

Instead our judgement of others makes us feel that we don't need to be better because someone else is so much worse so we are actually pretty good after all.

I am not good. I have been drunk and done and said hurtful and horrible things. None of above is trying to imply otherwise.

Enmoretiger
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 4:35 pm
Location: Enmore
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Enmoretiger » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:17 pm

This has got out of hand, the bloke made a mistake. Obviously a huge mistake and has made an attempt to turn his life around for himself and his family. He and anyone else in this situation deserves another go at life
Grinding people into the ground because of a error, however small or large, has no evidence anywhere of being a successful way of rehabilitating someone
Bring people back into the fold.
I trust Ivan's judgement of character. He knows the bloke no one here does

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3822
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 1:10 pm

The alternative is if they stay feral they cost us a fortune to imprison them, i.e., about a quarter to half a million a year. I will cop the feel good story if it keeps my back pocket heavy.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 7901
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 1:19 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 8:45 am
Under the influence of grog I saw an excellent guy turn into a murderer - purely the grog but his mates would take him out drinking. After getting off the charge he was again an excellent guy - justice??? Blame our grog-filled societies.
yes blame the society, the same society that people are saying should be creditted for his "rehab"

we all have crappy pasts, injustices happen to everyone. there are quadraplegics through no fault of their own but they don't blame the "society" for encouraging drinking, they blame the driver who was driving while drinking.

at any given point from 12 years old to the moment that lead to him hitting the victim, he could've said no i need help. the society has various places that you can seek help but no he moved from club to club, pee'd on the field and got drunk.

he's a scumbag for what he did, an absolute moron and please no one try to even reason as to why he did that. he's served his punishment, he has shown that the gaol rehab protocols are working, he's shown that he can turn his life around and he's being an active member of the community by helping out the 12 year old russel packers around the country.

but one of the kids that he meets is going to turn out to be an alcoholic, paralyse or kill someone and then there will be people like you who will say blame the society for pushing alcohol down our throat.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25232
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 191 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 1:48 pm

Tig prmz... Research denial & addiction.... You say at any point from 12 to the offence he could've sought help, unfortunately addiction - denial a big factor- is very powerful and seeking help often comes from something drastic (rock bottom)

Mccarry
Member
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 5:06 pm
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Mccarry » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 2:03 pm

angry ant wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:50 am
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:21 am
angry ant wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:39 am
Please this guy is no role model and should not be celebrated at all. I came from a pretty crappy environment, exposed to all sorts of things but I chose not to go down that path. I didn't commit despicable acts on others and I never expect others to help me just because I'm good at one thing.

Oh to have had 'rugby league' skills and being afforded a free education. To have been given the structure that this guy has, a manager, welfare officers, the salary, clubs that bend over backwards and provide free meals, cars, everything is taken care of and they still find ways & other things to blame.

Packer is a P.O.S of the highest order, I don't care what he has done since, the fact is he has shown what he is already capable of and the media trying to make this out as some sort of redemption story and not concentrate on others who don't disgrace the game, their family and other innocents, is pathetic journalism. This guy has been very lucky to get a 2nd/3rd/4th chance.

I cannot throw away my love of the club as it is something that I grew up with but the officials that led to this signing have a lot to be desired.
Nothing personal.
You may be mistake free but gee you sure sound bitter and angry... Apt username... It's not a perfect world.
Forgiveness is as much for yourself as it is for the other party... It's beneficial and from your post it seems like it would do you some good
What? Forgiveness, would do me some good? Am I meant to forgive Packer? Seriously... Sorry mr 24 year old guy with 2 young kids stomping on people heads, please forgive me for forming an opinion on you. Now would you mind please paying back some of your earnings to me for the taxes I paid to lock up your ass for your crimes.
Great post Ink. Angry Ant- thanks for paying your taxes. Money well spent here and from the sounds of the career he may yet have outside of football, your taxes will come back in spades with the taxes Russell Packer will himself pay.

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 30386
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 2:05 pm

Stick to the topic or this thread closes.

User avatar
helmesy
Member
Member
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:18 am
Location: Sydney
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by helmesy » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:08 pm

He's done his time, doing right thing by himself and his family - I'm glad to have him here.

Post Reply

Return to “Wests Tigers”