Did we miss out on Des

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2140
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Did we miss out on Des

Unread post by diedpretty » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 6:46 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:58 am
colmcd wrote:
Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:56 am
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/des- ... yni1d.html

"At least one club has expressed disappointment that they didn't get the chance to have a crack at Hasler before making their most recent coaching appointment."

That sounds a little like us.

Don't get me wrong. Ivan has surpassed expectations. Before Ivan's signing I would have picked Des hands down 100%. Post Ivan's signing.... 49-51, would just keep Ivan because he has done a good job. At the moment we have to keep Ivan and just build our team back up. Make us normal again, lock him in 100% unless we come below 15th next year.

Both Des and McGuire would be tempting targets. I think McGuire is a little less burnt.
Maybe souffs?
I;m thinking souffs too - they jumped in very early with a replacement for Maguire


Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 7:30 pm

In regards to Hasler I am glad we didn't have the circus that is Des come to WT. The scrutiny and expectation would be full-on and our club just needs to quietly achieve, improve and build in the next year or 2 without the hype and fanfare that would surround Hasler.
Ivan has done a good job so far in charge here, him and Pascoe give the appearance of having a solid working relationship so ATM things are heading along the right path and in an unobtrusive, understated manner which will benefit us much more than a Hasler/Dib-like arm wrestle for power that blows up into a headline-inducing schemozzle.

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2544
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by Harvey » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 7:37 pm

He should get a haircut and a real job.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 4861
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 9:22 pm

Harvey wrote:
Mon 25 Sep, 2017 7:37 pm
He should get a haircut and a real job.
What are you talking about? The hair is one arm of the triumvirate that makes up Des Hasler:

Statistics +
Parsimony (with his own money) +
Golden mane
= Des Hasler

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 8:42 am

diedpretty wrote:
Mon 25 Sep, 2017 6:46 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:58 am
colmcd wrote:
Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:56 am
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/des- ... yni1d.html

"At least one club has expressed disappointment that they didn't get the chance to have a crack at Hasler before making their most recent coaching appointment."

That sounds a little like us.

Don't get me wrong. Ivan has surpassed expectations. Before Ivan's signing I would have picked Des hands down 100%. Post Ivan's signing.... 49-51, would just keep Ivan because he has done a good job. At the moment we have to keep Ivan and just build our team back up. Make us normal again, lock him in 100% unless we come below 15th next year.

Both Des and McGuire would be tempting targets. I think McGuire is a little less burnt.
Maybe souffs?
I;m thinking souffs too - they jumped in very early with a replacement for Maguire
That makes sense. ANTHONY SEIBOLD isn't showing that he is going to be anything different to McGuire.
Souths look tired and you have had a lot of changes and roster trouble.


madunit
Member
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by madunit » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 9:07 pm

colmcd wrote:
Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:56 am
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/des- ... yni1d.html

"At least one club has expressed disappointment that they didn't get the chance to have a crack at Hasler before making their most recent coaching appointment."

That sounds a little like us.

Don't get me wrong. Ivan has surpassed expectations. Before Ivan's signing I would have picked Des hands down 100%. Post Ivan's signing.... 49-51, would just keep Ivan because he has done a good job. At the moment we have to keep Ivan and just build our team back up. Make us normal again, lock him in 100% unless we come below 15th next year.

Both Des and McGuire would be tempting targets. I think McGuire is a little less burnt.
Not us.

We never had an interest in Des and to be honest, few clubs do.

He's lost his feel for the game, become far too analytical. Look at the robotic, overly structured rubbish he had the Dogs playing this year.

He'd do well at the Warriors. God knows they need some structure.
Image

User avatar
Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Northern NSW(ex-Sydney).
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 10:14 pm

He still has a lot of support at Manly and if Trent has a bad season next year he could be back sooner than most people think.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2267
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by hammertime » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 7:20 am

Would prefer Ivan way more than Dessie. Just think he's a far better cultural fit for us.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 7:43 am

Basil Tiger wrote:
Thu 28 Sep, 2017 10:14 pm
He still has a lot of support at Manly and if Trent has a bad season next year he could be back sooner than most people think.
Agreed. Manly love him and in Manly he will be in his element. Except for the fact of who runs the club there. He won't go back to the Penn family as he knows that they have it in for him.

Warriors would be a good fit for him.

Before Ivan came I would have taken Des over Ivan. Now, I am very impressed with Ivan and his style.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 4861
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 11:19 am

madunit wrote:
Thu 28 Sep, 2017 9:07 pm
colmcd wrote:
Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:56 am
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/des- ... yni1d.html

"At least one club has expressed disappointment that they didn't get the chance to have a crack at Hasler before making their most recent coaching appointment."

That sounds a little like us.

Don't get me wrong. Ivan has surpassed expectations. Before Ivan's signing I would have picked Des hands down 100%. Post Ivan's signing.... 49-51, would just keep Ivan because he has done a good job. At the moment we have to keep Ivan and just build our team back up. Make us normal again, lock him in 100% unless we come below 15th next year.

Both Des and McGuire would be tempting targets. I think McGuire is a little less burnt.
Not us.

We never had an interest in Des and to be honest, few clubs do.

He's lost his feel for the game, become far too analytical. Look at the robotic, overly structured rubbish he had the Dogs playing this year.

He'd do well at the Warriors. God knows they need some structure.
I don't think it's that simple? Coaching form like playing form can be transient; sometimes the coach's strategy is sound but the players don't or can no longer apply it.

Jason Taylor by all accounts is a strong tactician but doesn't seem to have the people management skills to get the players to do what he wants.

I personally think Dogs went all-in on their roster to win a comp between 2012-2015 and are now paying for that short-term plan. Tigers did exactly the same thing 2009-2011.

Also look at Ricky Stuart 2002-2004 and 2016 - seasons of very strong performance punctured by extended periods of middling results. Did Ricky Stuart have a great feel for the game in 2002, then lose it for 14 years, but suddenly became Dally M Coach of Year in 2016?

I can't personally understand all the backlash against Des Hasler, his track record is outstanding. Worse coaches are given more leeway for poor seasons, Dessie unfortunately happens to be at a club that pulls out the knives as soon as success wanes.

User avatar
jrtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun 19 Apr, 2015 5:17 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by jrtiger » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 11:29 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 11:19 am
madunit wrote:
Thu 28 Sep, 2017 9:07 pm
colmcd wrote:
Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:56 am
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/des- ... yni1d.html

"At least one club has expressed disappointment that they didn't get the chance to have a crack at Hasler before making their most recent coaching appointment."

That sounds a little like us.

Don't get me wrong. Ivan has surpassed expectations. Before Ivan's signing I would have picked Des hands down 100%. Post Ivan's signing.... 49-51, would just keep Ivan because he has done a good job. At the moment we have to keep Ivan and just build our team back up. Make us normal again, lock him in 100% unless we come below 15th next year.

Both Des and McGuire would be tempting targets. I think McGuire is a little less burnt.
Not us.

We never had an interest in Des and to be honest, few clubs do.

He's lost his feel for the game, become far too analytical. Look at the robotic, overly structured rubbish he had the Dogs playing this year.

He'd do well at the Warriors. God knows they need some structure.
I don't think it's that simple? Coaching form like playing form can be transient; sometimes the coach's strategy is sound but the players don't or can no longer apply it.

Jason Taylor by all accounts is a strong tactician but doesn't seem to have the people management skills to get the players to do what he wants.

I personally think Dogs went all-in on their roster to win a comp between 2012-2015 and are now paying for that short-term plan. Tigers did exactly the same thing 2009-2011.

Also look at Ricky Stuart 2002-2004 and 2016 - seasons of very strong performance punctured by extended periods of middling results. Did Ricky Stuart have a great feel for the game in 2002, then lose it for 14 years, but suddenly became Dally M Coach of Year in 2016?

I can't personally understand all the backlash against Des Hasler, his track record is outstanding. Worse coaches are given more leeway for poor seasons, Dessie unfortunately happens to be at a club that pulls out the knives as soon as success wanes.
Completely agree Re: Hasler. Hasn't missed the finals since 2004 as of this year, won premierships in 2008 & 2011 as well as Grand Final appearances in 2007, 2012 & 2014. Remember when Bennett missed the finals at Newcastle, and every pundit in the league said he was cactus going back up to Brisbane? We all know how that turned out. GCT will be a great fit, lots of versatile and powerful forwards, a talented backline with 2 of the premier young halves in the competition and arguably the most naturally talented player in the NRL with a perennial attitude problem in Jarryd Hayne. They'll be anywhere between 3rd and 9th next year with Des at the helm, assuming he goes.

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm
Has liked: 335 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 1:58 pm

JT went back to the Roosters as their attacking coach and that's the one thing that let them down towards the end of the season.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 3:59 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 1:58 pm
JT went back to the Roosters as their attacking coach and that's the one thing that let them down towards the end of the season.
Yea, I read comments like this in the "chookpen". How disappointing the semi finals are....

Seriously, I think JT failed as a coach for us big time. But he re-enters the Roosters coaching staff and they come in the top 4 from bottom half of the table. Pierce is doing a lot better this year and Keary is better in the Roosters then Souths. JT wasn't even a good attacking coach for us and he did not even train us a kicker :(.... I still can't get over that, you JT were a known goal kicker and you as head coach don't even train one... ARRGH.

Coaches take punts. They got a better then average team to the top. Trent and Jason are doing something right.

Tigers17
Member
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat 04 Feb, 2017 4:42 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Tigers17 » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 4:42 pm

colmcd wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 3:59 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 1:58 pm
JT went back to the Roosters as their attacking coach and that's the one thing that let them down towards the end of the season.
Yea, I read comments like this in the "chookpen". How disappointing the semi finals are....

Seriously, I think JT failed as a coach for us big time. But he re-enters the Roosters coaching staff and they come in the top 4 from bottom half of the table. Pierce is doing a lot better this year and Keary is better in the Roosters then Souths. JT wasn't even a good attacking coach for us and he did not even train us a kicker :(.... I still can't get over that, you JT were a known goal kicker and you as head coach don't even train one... ARRGH.

Coaches take punts. They got a better then average team to the top. Trent and Jason are doing something right.
I wonder how Politis would view the term "Average", in relation to his pride and joy.
Robinson has never coached anything in the NRL other than one of the best rosters that, "Money Can Buy".

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:34 am

Keep hearing in the media all this dribble about "Bulldogs DNA", what an absolute load. The trendy new buzz word around the Canterbury club.

All I know is that they were all forced to provide DNA after their Coffs Harbour romp in 2002 or thereabouts. All except Hazem that is, he refused.

User avatar
Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Northern NSW(ex-Sydney).
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:39 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 11:19 am
Jason Taylor by all accounts is a strong tactician but doesn't seem to have the people management skills to get the players to do what he wants.
Exactly,good 2IC but needs a strong Jack Gibson type Head Coach to get his message thru.

He doesn't seem to be able to get respect or authority over players which was the main problem at Souths,having a nick-name of 'angry ant' didn't help as did getting rid of Robbie with us,just made more enemies.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 9:10 am

Tigers17 wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 4:42 pm
colmcd wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 3:59 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 1:58 pm
JT went back to the Roosters as their attacking coach and that's the one thing that let them down towards the end of the season.
Yea, I read comments like this in the "chookpen". How disappointing the semi finals are....

Seriously, I think JT failed as a coach for us big time. But he re-enters the Roosters coaching staff and they come in the top 4 from bottom half of the table. Pierce is doing a lot better this year and Keary is better in the Roosters then Souths. JT wasn't even a good attacking coach for us and he did not even train us a kicker :(.... I still can't get over that, you JT were a known goal kicker and you as head coach don't even train one... ARRGH.

Coaches take punts. They got a better then average team to the top. Trent and Jason are doing something right.
I wonder how Politis would view the term "Average", in relation to his pride and joy.
Robinson has never coached anything in the NRL other than one of the best rosters that, "Money Can Buy".
I have wondered too how Bellamy would go with the Knights or Gold coast. Kearney is trying the Melbourne ideas at the Warriors and they haven't worked... moved Bellamy over there and they still may not work.

Sure Robinson has a good team, I don't know if he could do a Flano and take a poor team to the finals. But he lifted the side to a top 4 side.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6410
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 9:45 am

Des has always coached teams with a bottomless Pitt of money not sure how he would go with us. Cleary has the runs on the board when it comes to coaching teams that are a challenge

Post Reply

Return to “Wests Tigers”