Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: Heartland needs love

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 3:40 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 3:24 pm
We need a winning team and than we can play at Cambo or where ever, but to get a winning team we need to get a healthy bank balance and to get a healthy bank balance we have to play this nomad game. Rugby league crowds are made up of 20% hard core tragic supporters and the rest are good time charlie's that jump on and off the band wagon in a flash. So basically it is all about winning and winning often
I agree with you, I understand our predicament...but this philosophy weve been using for 14 seasons now hasnt really been too succesful...three semis series in that time

I feel for the younger supporters today who have no idea of what a REAL home ground feels like

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 4:04 pm

I am content with this year's allocation. The only problem for mine is the longevity of the ten year deal previously management struck with ANZ Stadium.

A reasonably recent thread on here had a forumer survey of their history of support for WT and it showed an overwhelming majority were from the merged teams. If those figures which also showed a reasonable skew towards Balmain even remotely resemble the overall supporter base, it shows that the club is catering to its traditional base, whilst also including the latter expanded area of Wests in the southwest and providing the modern supporter facilities at another four to seven games each season. Playing two games elsewhere to promote ourselves and the game is also a good thing.

supercoach
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 4:16 pm

Most of my friends support teams that are not located in the area they live. The teams they support are the teams that they jumped on at a very early age, usually the winning team at the time, or they inherited a team from their mum or dad. Although it would be nice to have one fortress we could call home or maybe two at a pinch but three all that goes out the window, your home ground becomes just another venue.

gallagher
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 4:36 pm

I wonder when Townsville build the new stadium will the cowboys still play some games at 1300smiles.
Or would that be just stupid?

Nucky Thompson
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:15 pm

vlad wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 11:08 am
http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/s ... eeds-love/

Heartland needs love
Jeff McGill

6 Oct 2017, 3:56 p.m

My dictionary describes a home ground as “the field a sports team usually plays and practices on”.

Usually. Hmmm.

Out of 12 Wests Tigers home games allocated for next season, just three of them will be played at Campbelltown Sports Stadium. That’s one less than in 2017.

Mayor George Brticevic calls it “disappointing”

I agree with George, but would add five extra words: We. Need. A. Local. Team.

A team that truly regards Macarthur as home, not a place to visit every now again to try to keep the Rabbitohs at bay – who actually played a “home” trial game at Campbelltown earlier this year.

This seems so sad, when we remember the excitement and pride of the 2005 grand final, and the days when local patriots like Steve Noyce of Ruse ran the club, with then-coach Tim Sheens publicly speaking of his desire of establishing a club HQ here. Seems so long ago.

In more recent years, the club (under very different leadership) almost seemed to hate Campbelltown, snarling at us at every opportunity, failed to return this newspaper’s calls, and gave us the impression we should be grateful for any scraps we were thrown from the table. At the same time, possible HQ sites were mooted at Ryde, Liverpool, and basically anywhere but Macarthur.

Now they whinge at us if if the crowds are small at Leumeah. To put it bluntly, it was Wests Tigers that dropped the ball, not us.

One of the more controversial front page headlines I ran when I was editor, in 2010, was a screaming headline: “Easts Tigers”.

That was the year Wests Tigers finished in the top four teams and therefore got rewarded with a home ground advantage in the semi-finals.

A few other teams did too – such as the Penrith Panthers who chose to play at Penrith in front of cheering Penrith crowds. Penrith is a Penrith team and regards Penrith as its home ground. Easy.

It was a bit harder for St George-Illawarra, a joint venture, but it went with Jubilee Oval, in saints territory.

So, did Wests Tigers toss a coin between Leumeah or Leichhardt? Neither. It’s, um, “home game” was held in Sydney’s eastern suburbs at the SFS (Allianz), the home ground of, believe it or not, our opponents that day! The Roosters’ fans couldn't believe their luck, packed the ground, and cheered on as their team won.

Dunno about you, but that decision marked a watershed with me, and perhaps sums up the Wests Tigers identity crisis: its fan base in Campbelltown, Camden and Wollondilly (a growth centre demographic most clubs would kill for) were told their “home ground” was a soulless stadium on the far side of Sydney next to Paddington and Randwick.

That’s not a home ground, that’s a financial deal.

Re the slap on the wrist at Leumeah next season, Wests Tigers said the game taken away would be played outside Sydney, as it is important to “develop the game across multiple locations.”

I agree. But that game should be coming from ANZ stadium, not the suburban grounds. It’s no good developing fan bases in Dubbo, or interstate, if it is losing its own unloved heartland.

The Macarthur area is capable of great love, it just has to feel loved back.

This is up to Wests Tigers to fix, not us. Here’s a hint: it doesn’t take more “visits” to Macarthur, it takes being part of Macarthur.

We need a local team.
It’s our turn to be the club HQ

To understand why Macarthur feels so unloved by Wests Tigers recently, you perhaps have to cast your mind back to 1967.

Campbelltown had one of the best lower grade teams in NSW, and was a proposed growth centre for young families. A perfect fit as one of two new outer Sydney teams to join the first grade comp.

But alas, no. Penrith and Cronulla were chosen instead. We would have to wait until the next intake. When it came, in 1982, we were screwed again as they leapfrogged us to invite Illawarra and Canberra teams instead.

The only way we got a look in, in 1987, was embracing a fobbed off inner city club, Western Suburbs Magpies. A humbling scenario, but Campbelltown did it with pride and gusto.

I was a young reporter at early games at Orana Park and recall the local passion building, as we eventually cheered on homegrown talents such as Skando and the McGuinesses.

Thanks to Rupert Murdoch, Campbelltown’s team looked set to vanish again, in the wake of the Super League war, until we merged with the Balmain Tigers in 1999.

I totally get that a joint venture has to be shared. But in the almost two decades since it kicked off, Balmain and Ashfield/Concord have been at the epicentre of things and even local homegrown players have to move in there to train.

When is it Macarthur’s turn at being the HQ?

--------------------
Put your money where your mouth is cambo.

Russell
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:27 pm

hammertime wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 3:00 pm
Self-centred doesn't even come close to summarising that article. For one, it's a merger. Everyone needed to makes sacrifices and two, do you really think any business is going to take a 'punt' that crowd numbers are going to increase with a permanent move.

No, you need to demonstrate with your feet McGill that there is a solid reason for the Tigers to move there. So far, you haven't. All talk, no action.
McGill sounds like a Souffs supporter to me.

They play 1 trial game there and "Oh! how fantastic they are"

Tigers play 4 at C'town per year, spend time in schools etc. - no they don't care about us.

I think by your statements McGill you and Souffs deserve each other.

steve-o
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by steve-o » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:33 pm

What a rubbish article. The sooner we move away from being a suburban team the better. We want to be appealing to a much broader fan base than the local government area of MacArthur.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

magpiecol
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 6:57 pm

steve-o wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:33 pm
What a rubbish article. The sooner we move away from being a suburban team the better. We want to be appealing to a much broader fan base than the local government area of MacArthur.
Have you seen the size of the MacArthur area? Methinks not.

It is HUGE and getting bigger every week. Wests (at present) have FOUR clubs within that area. There is also a very big Catholic Club and some others.

Have a drive down Camden Valley Way and check out the amount of new housing being developed.

A goldmine going to waste.

:crazy :crazy

Leichhardt Oval?? Give me a break.

Nucky Thompson
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:26 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 6:57 pm
steve-o wrote:

It is HUGE and getting bigger every week. Wests (at present) have FOUR clubs within that area. There is also a very big Catholic Club and some others.

Have a drive down Camden Valley Way and check out the amount of new housing being developed.

So we keep being told.

Mac tiger
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Mac tiger » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:00 pm

McGill writes for one of the local papers and was the editor. Most of his articles are provocative, especially concerning right of centre politics and he is always quick to put the boot into the tigers.

I'd like more games at Cambo and Leichhardt but we all know about the financial incentives available from ANZ and i'm sure we will be compensated for the 2 games in the bush.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:05 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:26 pm
magpiecol wrote:
steve-o wrote:

So we keep being told.
Shame no listens or cares.

Mac tiger
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Mac tiger » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:09 pm

Col is correct, it is a huge area out here and growing. But we won't get bumper crowds at Cambo until the team wins consistently, ticket prices become more reasonable and we stop scheduling winter night matches against out of Sydney teams.

hammertime
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by hammertime » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:23 pm

magpiecol wrote:
steve-o wrote:

Goldmine is definitley the wrong term. It has a lot of people sure, but good corporate sponsors and decent levels of disposable income? The evidence surely hasn't supported that so far. The Tigers need to look after the people that pay their bills.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 9:45 pm

magpiecol wrote:
steve-o wrote:

Trouble is it has never overly glistened and may well turn out to be fools gold or even the death of the club if WT lay everything on the line to go there. The club seems to be moving forward in many areas, so not worth the risk at this point for mine.

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:15 am

My understanding is that our corporate sponsors would prefer games in the inner city. Commitment is a two way street....build us a training facility and maybe we start training there.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:22 am

Campbeltown is a big area but like most areas (eg central coast) people who reside of those areas are already league fans with a club they support and the best way to garner their support is on field success.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:46 am

Sabre wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 1:05 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:35 pm
Sabre wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:23 pm
and why WT?
Really?
That's the part you pick out in isolation? Surely you get the point of what I was saying....
We get your point but I don't think you got the point of the article.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:51 am

hammertime wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 3:00 pm
Self-centred doesn't even come close to summarising that article. For one, it's a merger. Everyone needed to makes sacrifices and two, do you really think any business is going to take a 'punt' that crowd numbers are going to increase with a permanent move.

No, you need to demonstrate with your feet McGill that there is a solid reason for the Tigers to move there. So far, you haven't. All talk, no action.
It's not a merger it's a joint venture. There is a difference.

Return to “Wests Tigers”