Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Heartland needs love

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:54 am

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:51 am
hammertime wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 3:00 pm
Self-centred doesn't even come close to summarising that article. For one, it's a merger. Everyone needed to makes sacrifices and two, do you really think any business is going to take a 'punt' that crowd numbers are going to increase with a permanent move.

No, you need to demonstrate with your feet McGill that there is a solid reason for the Tigers to move there. So far, you haven't. All talk, no action.
It's not a merger it's a joint venture. There is a difference.
And just on that point it may have been better to have been a merger. That way it would have been an entirety new entity without any ties to Balmain or Wests.

diedpretty

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:59 am

Mac tiger wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:00 pm
McGill writes for one of the local papers and was the editor. Most of his articles are provocative, especially concerning right of centre politics and he is always quick to put the boot into the tigers.

I'd like more games at Cambo and Leichhardt but we all know about the financial incentives available from ANZ and i'm sure we will be compensated for the 2 games in the bush.
No I don't know what the financial incentives are. People keep throwing this out there but to date no-one has actually said what they are nor have any proof when they do throw numbers out there.

diedpretty

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:02 am

hammertime wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:23 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 6:57 pm
steve-o wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:33 pm
What a rubbish article. The sooner we move away from being a suburban team the better. We want to be appealing to a much broader fan base than the local government area of MacArthur.
Have you seen the size of the MacArthur area? Methinks not.

It is HUGE and getting bigger every week. Wests (at present) have FOUR clubs within that area. There is also a very big Catholic Club and some others.

Have a drive down Camden Valley Way and check out the amount of new housing being developed.

A goldmine going to waste.

:crazy :crazy

Leichhardt Oval?? Give me a break.
Goldmine is definitley the wrong term. It has a lot of people sure, but good corporate sponsors and decent levels of disposable income? The evidence surely hasn't supported that so far. The Tigers need to look after the people that pay their bills.
Well it sure ain't the latte drinking hipsters around Leichhardt who are paying the bills.

diedpretty

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:04 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:15 am
My understanding is that our corporate sponsors would prefer games in the inner city. Commitment is a two way street....build us a training facility and maybe we start training there.
And your understanding is based on what? WT were offered first class training facilities at the University but declined.

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:44 am

magpiecol wrote:
steve-o wrote:
What a rubbish article. The sooner we move away from being a suburban team the better. We want to be appealing to a much broader fan base than the local government area of MacArthur.

It is HUGE and getting bigger every week. Wests (at present) have FOUR clubs within that area. There is also a very big Catholic Club and some others.

Have a drive down Camden Valley Way and check out the amount of new housing being developed.

Give yourself a break Col - Leichhardt Oval will do me.

At least people that go there are Wests Tigers supporters not whingers.

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:48 am

Pretty much same-o, same-o from the usual suspects on here.
No new arguments at all.

What interests me is how the NSW govt's stadia strategy will eventually play out. The govt tried getting consensus from clubs with the Wests Tigers agreeing to play the majority of their games out of the new ANZ. The Tigers also agreed on playing a few games at the new Parramatta stadium due to be completed in 2019.

I believe the NSW govt is trying to replicate the AFL in Melbourne where all Melbourne based clubs play ALL games out of the larger stadiums, no home suburban fields are used anymore.

I'd really like to see how the Sydney stadia plan works out, especially with Manly agreeing to play out of the new Alliance stadium. Manly fans don't travel well.

So if anyone has new info on the Sydney stadia plan I'd be grateful in it being shared.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 10:03 am

The NRL and its broadcasting partners have now made the game basically a TV game and the old days when you got maybe two or at very best three games a week on tele, you now can get every game live on your massive TV in stereo sound with your beer at Dan Murphy prices and your snacks at Aldi prices. People are time poor and wallet poor, so I say it really doesn't matter where you play your going to struggle to attract big crowds these days. A winning team will help and a ground we could call home, but as I said for the vast majority they are more than happy to get their NRL fix from the lounge

magpiecol
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 11:12 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:44 am
magpiecol wrote:
steve-o wrote:

Give yourself a break Col - Leichhardt Oval will do me.

At least people that go there are Wests Tigers supporters not whingers.
Not whinging. Just stating how I found Leichhardt since I started going there when it ran the opposite to what it is today. So I think that I am entitled to my opinion.

Have you been to any other grounds? Campbelltown, Brookvale, the big stadiums? Which one, in your opinion is the best?

PS. I have been a Wests Magpies and now Weststigers supporter since 1958. I think that I qualify as a supporter.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 191 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 11:16 am

cqtiger wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:48 am
No new arguments at all.

What interests me is how the NSW govt's stadia strategy will eventually play out. The govt tried getting consensus from clubs with the Wests Tigers agreeing to play the majority of their games out of the new ANZ. The Tigers also agreed on playing a few games at the new Parramatta stadium due to be completed in 2019.

I believe the NSW govt is trying to replicate the AFL in Melbourne where all Melbourne based clubs play ALL games out of the larger stadiums, no home suburban fields are used anymore.

I'd really like to see how the Sydney stadia plan works out, especially with Manly agreeing to play out of the new Alliance stadium. Manly fans don't travel well.

So if anyone has new info on the Sydney stadia plan I'd be grateful in it being shared.
Interesting CQ and news to me.... Have you got links for these developments?
When did we decide to play at Parra... Won't leave much for CSS & LO with the ANZ deal still in operation.
I also thought Brookie was getting an upgrade

jirskyr
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 12:33 pm

magpiecol wrote:
That's great but Wests Campbo don't contribute to the merger any more.

If I can also quote myself from earlier in the year, about the incorrect concept that the Macarthur has the huge population we need. hammertime already noted, there is a huge difference between population and money, but there are exploding population centres all over Sydney:
jirskyr wrote:ET's comment about population growth is a limited view, because population growth is occurring all over the city and you cannot make sweeping assumptions that more population means more football support. Potential is there yes, but if an area doesn't follow football, it might not matter how many thousands of people live there. For example one of the strongest drivers of Western Sydney population growth is immigration, and there will be a limit to which you can turn new immigrants into rugby league supporters, particularly those from countries with no RL background at all.

The Top 10 local government areas (LGA) for predicted growth (% change) to 2036 are: Camden, Parramatta, The Hills, Liverpool, Botany Bay, Strathfield, Sydney, Burwood, Blacktown, Wollondilly. The Top 10 when taken as pure headcount: Parramatta, Blacktown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Camden, The Hills, Liverpool, Sydney, Cumberland, Penrith, Campbelltown.
http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/projections

So out of 20 slots, the Macarthur is represented 4 times, and "the Macarthur" cheats a bit because it's the combination of 3 LGAs - Campbo, Camden and Wollondilly. I mean can Tigers really lay claim to Wollondilly when most of the towns in that LGA are half as far from Wollongong as they are Sydney CBD?

Compare this to the Eels, they are sitting right in the junction of 9 slots, if you include penetration into The Hills and Liverpool LGAs.

It's all well and good to say that Tigers should do more in the Macarthur, but the same argument exists for any large population LGA in Sydney, particularly those not dominated by any one club e.g. Liverpool and The Hills.

In fact there is strong argument about indeed focusing on the inner city and inner-west, which take up 4 slots in the above 20, including huge population growth in Sydney council (bigger than Campbelltown as both % and total volume); and this does not include Canterbury, which old Wests Ashfield / Balmain territory sits against.

Earl
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 1:25 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 10:03 am
The NRL and its broadcasting partners have now made the game basically a TV game and the old days when you got maybe two or at very best three games a week on tele, you now can get every game live on your massive TV in stereo sound with your beer at Dan Murphy prices and your snacks at Aldi prices. People are time poor and wallet poor, so I say it really doesn't matter where you play your going to struggle to attract big crowds these days. A winning team will help and a ground we could call home, but as I said for the vast majority they are more than happy to get their NRL fix from the lounge
This is spot on. When it comes to playing wherever the main thing that matters is how many people turn up and how profitable it is.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the inner west vs campbelltown and people on both sides shouldn't be whinging and whining.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Balmainbred » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:28 pm

Easy fix jam your games at Cambodia go back to Lidcombe

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 3:15 pm

Balma inbred wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:28 pm
Easy fix jam your games at Cambodia go back to Lidcombe
Thnx for your input

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 186 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:52 pm

Been scrolling through some old threads today and found this

http://weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20577

We've really been blessed with some great communicators running our club in the past.

LCA
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by LCA » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:54 pm

I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that Wests Campbelltown contribute ZERO $$ to the running and management of Wests Tigers as an NRL entity.

If true, and I stand to be corrected, isn't that a bit of a contradiction to the OP here?

If playing more games at CSS was an indicator of commitment to the area by WT NRL club, wouldn't some clear and accountable financial support from the club just over the fence also be an indicator?

Can somebody enlighten me?

And, by the way, apart from ridiculously inadequate grandstand comfort seating for WT members and fans, I seriously think the ground and the surface at CSS are excellent.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Defiant » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:40 pm

Cambo club pulled it's support a few years back.

Wests tigers is 100% Ashfield owned(they payed back Balmains loan to the NRL) now, with two board seats donated to Balmain .

I think there is also an agreement to allow Balmain to buy back its original interest if its ever in a position to do so.
Last edited by Defiant on Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:41 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:52 pm
Been scrolling through some old threads today and found this

http://weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20577

We've really been blessed with some great communicators running our club in the past.
29 pages of LO v CSS???
Punishing!

cqtiger
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:47 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 11:16 am
cqtiger wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:48 am
No new arguments at all.

Interesting CQ and news to me.... Have you got links for these developments?
When did we decide to play at Parra... Won't leave much for CSS & LO with the ANZ deal still in operation.
I also thought Brookie was getting an upgrade
Ink, this was from last year, hence why I am asking for any updates.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... 5GvlVeI8re
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Return to “Wests Tigers”