magpiecol wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 11:12 am
Russell wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:44 am
magpiecol wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 6:57 pm
steve-o wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:33 pm
What a rubbish article. The sooner we move away from being a suburban team the better. We want to be appealing to a much broader fan base than the local government area of MacArthur.
Have you seen the size of the MacArthur area? Methinks not.

It is HUGE and getting bigger every week. Wests (at present) have FOUR clubs within that area. There is also a very big Catholic Club and some others.

Have a drive down Camden Valley Way and check out the amount of new housing being developed.

A goldmine going to waste.

:crazy :crazy

Leichhardt Oval?? Give me a break.
Give yourself a break Col - Leichhardt Oval will do me.

At least people that go there are Wests Tigers supporters not whingers.
Not whinging. Just stating how I found Leichhardt since I started going there when it ran the opposite to what it is today. So I think that I am entitled to my opinion.

Have you been to any other grounds? Campbelltown, Brookvale, the big stadiums? Which one, in your opinion is the best?

PS. I have been a Wests Magpies and now Weststigers supporter since 1958. I think that I qualify as a supporter.
I have been going to games for 67 years Col, and yes, Leichhardt was east west, used to sit 5 metres from the corner post around where the big screen is now. Didn't like that possie too much, but my uncle used to take me and you sat where he said, or you didn't go.

Always enjoyed Leichhardt and it holds great memories of some classic wins and unfortunately some disastrous losses. Also enjoyed Brookvale, Kogarah, Pratten Park, Lidcombe and the old Sydney sports ground.

Never enjoyed going to Redfern, Cumberland, Henson Park or North Sydney Oval (could never come to grips with the unusual angle compared to the spectators) or Campbelltown.

ANZ at this stage is hopeless imo and Alliance is very ordinary - with Parramatta (now pulled down ) the best of the newer stadiums.

Just my opinion - to each his own I guess - but will always love LO.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 9:05 am

Can somewhat understand the frustration of Campbelltown based fans. I only say somewhat as despite being a former Balmain fan I've never lived in the localities that either Balmain or Wests Tigers reside. I've always had to travel to follow my team, except for when they came to Penrith.

Overall it's a frustrating set of circumstances. Ideally we'd play 6/6 at LO and CSS but it must be cost prohibitive to do so as if we were making money doing that we'd never have gone away from that model. The added complexity now is that an inner west leagues club bankrolls the JV, is located around the corner from LO and represents the original Magpies from their Ashfield/Lidcombe days.

I could cop Wests playing out of an upgraded CSS, or at a purpose built stadium at Liverpool where it is a little more central to Sydney with two games at LO reserved for Easts and Souths.

Anything that gets us away from bloody ANZ. It's a good atmosphere when it's full, but other than that it is a tripe ground with good facilities.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 9:29 am

I'm not sure if the clubs needs to be more transparent on this subject [ie: how many companies advise their consumers there 20 year vision?], but I feel for the people of that region waiting waiting waiting all the time for 'a team'. I do however feel that over the past 4 years, its becoming more evident the idea of 'moving to campbelltown' fulltime isnt going to happen.

What looks clear to me is the Wests Tigers want the region for its Junior Pathways and that is about it. We will do a few games, do the odd community engagement, visit the schools etc but thats what its looks to be becoming. A captured region to secure junior talent.

If this is the case, maybe they should put these people out of their misery and be more honest? Sadly, that could cause short term damage to our brand I dont feel the club is prepared to take that hit at the moment. In the meantime, we will still continue to see fluff pieces from the club telling them we are 'your team'.

Yeah it looks as though the club wants it both ways. They want to retain the junior pathways but also be seen as a greater Sydney team.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Snake
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 56 times

Unread post by Snake » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 9:39 am

Auckland is the new heart land :sign:

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by oldprop » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 9:55 am

Snake wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 9:39 am
Auckland is the new heart land :sign:
Well yes. Half our team is from NZ or Pac. Is. Last time I was at LO I was interested to see how many Pacific Nations people we have as members. Got to go with the numbers.
Need more props.

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 10:26 am

I think you can forget about suburban grounds going forward.

The NSW govt have played their hand with their stadia strategy so I don't think that there will be much money available for suburban ground upgrades.

The NRL always seem to follow the AFL albeit a few years later so look at their home ground strategy.

What's the AFLs worst ground?
They give all their clubs members and sponsors much better facilities than most NRL clubs.

As much as I love Leichardt Oval, it is an awful place to access and park. The facilities are archaic. Compare Sydney's LO, Campbo, Brookvale, Kogarah, Shark Park to all the one town teams home grounds and you have a good idea why the NSW govt are doing what their doing.

Brisbane, GC, Canberra, Newcastle, Storm and soon to be built Townsville stadia are far superior to any suburban Sydney ground. That's why I think that Wests Tigers will play out of the new and upgraded stadiums at ANZ and maybe Parra. Going to Leichardt and Campbelltown will be reduced each year and become token.

South Sydney have abandoned Redfern for ANZ for that very reason.

It is sad but most members and sponsors do demand more for their money.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Gary Bakerloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 2:17 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 10:26 am
I think you can forget about suburban grounds going forward.
Do we? TV rights holders are now stating a preference for the ground to look full on TV rather than 3/4 empty. Everything that's old is suddenly new again.

colmcd
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 2:54 pm

As someone said above, St George have far fewer problems wandering. 6/6 split works fine.
3 games at Campbelltown is a joke! a total Joke. Campbelltown fans should not have to travel 1.5 hours to their "home ground".

We need to ditch ANZ or Leichhardt oval and in my view it should be ANZ. We don't own this stadium, we never will own this stadium, it will be our kinda home stadium with a cabinet at the side.

No way. As Sydney FC were saying "we want our own stadium, we want our members to know that it is our ground and our turf." It's not our turf if we play 3 silly games there.

If I were the Saints or Cronulla I would be talking to Campbelltown and playing a game or two out there just too see if the fans come. Or St George run a shuttle to Woolongong! Or Souths try and take the stadium.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 3:14 pm

colmcd wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 2:54 pm
As someone said above, St George have far fewer problems wandering. 6/6 split works fine.
3 games at Campbelltown is a joke! a total Joke. Campbelltown fans should not have to travel 1.5 hours to their "home ground".

We need to ditch ANZ or Leichhardt oval and in my view it should be ANZ. We don't own this stadium, we never will own this stadium, it will be our kinda home stadium with a cabinet at the side.

No way. As Sydney FC were saying "we want our own stadium, we want our members to know that it is our ground and our turf." It's not our turf if we play 3 silly games there.

If I were the Saints or Cronulla I would be talking to Campbelltown and playing a game or two out there just too see if the fans come. Or St George run a shuttle to Woolongong! Or Souths try and take the stadium.
I get what you are saying Col but it is not comparable IMO as the Sky Blues have played at the SFS pretty much wholly and solely since their inception. SFS is their stadium. They are also owned by a Russian banking magnate who can buy the SFS if he wanted.

WT are one of eight Sydney basin teams who are in an extremely competitive market and need to make money and avoid costs where they can. They would not be playing at ANZ if LO and CSS were profitable. IIRC WT were paying something like $25K per game to rent CSS and they had the lease for LO which they had to give up because they could no longer afford it, to which Leichhardt council now rents to them for free.

If the club could afford to play 6/6 or some other mix between our two ancestral home grounds I am certain they would.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

gallagher
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by gallagher » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 4:09 pm

colmcd wrote:

No club is taking games to Campbo. People have been suggesting it for well over a decade. Theyve suggested the dogs, the roosters and lately the bunnies. Its nonsense.

LCA
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by LCA » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 7:07 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 4:09 pm
colmcd wrote:

No club is taking games to Campbo. People have been suggesting it for well over a decade. Theyve suggested the dogs, the roosters and lately the bunnies. Its nonsense.
Ok. Why? elaborate please,

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 7:24 pm

LCA wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 7:07 pm
gallagher wrote:
colmcd wrote:

18 seasons since weve been part time there and no one has come yet. Theyve gone everywhere else around the country and NZ but not here. Its like suggesting we would take a home game to Brookvale. Theres just no point.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 9:30 am

Russell wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 5:27 pm
hammertime wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 3:00 pm
Self-centred doesn't even come close to summarising that article. For one, it's a merger. Everyone needed to makes sacrifices and two, do you really think any business is going to take a 'punt' that crowd numbers are going to increase with a permanent move.

No, you need to demonstrate with your feet McGill that there is a solid reason for the Tigers to move there. So far, you haven't. All talk, no action.
McGill sounds like a Souffs supporter to me.

They play 1 trial game there and "Oh! how fantastic they are"

Tigers play 4 at C'town per year, spend time in schools etc. - no they don't care about us.

I think by your statements McGill you and Souffs deserve each other.
I think he's saying that all or most of the sacrifices have been one way.
I'm not sure how some expect the Campbelltown area should be vigorously supporting the club, but when you look at the way the club has performed over the time of its existence, how can be expected to shell out their money each week when the club and team is so often a train wreck.
Even the top clubs support drops when they are in the cellar.
And we've been in that group more often than not.
With the area we are supposed to have, we should have been a lot stronger than we have been. But we need to be a part of the area to get the areas support
I think that the club in the beginning, had the attitude that it would only be a case of giving the area a minimal amount of attention was all that was needed for the people to flock in.
That hasn't worked.

That area should be a stronghold of RL in Sydney, and I'm surprised that the League hasn't
Pushed WTs harder to become a bigger part of the community.
The Balmain area which we seem to mainly cater for , is ( or so I keep hearing some that I know there)being taken over by the Greenies, & "the Late' crowd.
Maybe we should be trying harder to get a strangle hold on the Cambelltown area, ( and I don't mean just token actions), as in the coming years we may come to need the district more than they need us

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 9:50 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 7:24 pm
LCA wrote:
gallagher wrote:
colmcd wrote:

18 seasons since weve been part time there and no one has come yet. Theyve gone everywhere else around the country and NZ but not here. Its like suggesting we would take a home game to Brookvale. Theres just no point.
If you use that as an argument, then where has people embraced anything new if it is consistently badly run and more often mostly among the also runs( or worse) of its competition.
We arent like the warriors in being a one team country. Of even like The Storm, who, although having to battle the AFL bias in Vic. Have had the money from News, as well as illegal help with buying and keeping players that other clubs could only dream of.
And the Warriors also have trouble with crowds when they're not winning. And it's the only game in the entire country.
We Have Competition.
Maybe if Cleary can help to pull us out of the dregs, we might be a more attractive proposition to support. I think a lot here lose the point that most of us are rusted on, and have been for a long while,
Normal people aren't, Therefore they couldn't less about a team who can't beat time with a stick most of the time, especially when they hardly see them in the community.
If the Club wants support from the Cambelltown area, they have to start earning it both on amd off the field

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:02 am

gallagher wrote:
LCA wrote:
gallagher wrote:
colmcd wrote:

Souths tested the water at the start of the year taking a trial there.

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:04 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 9:50 am
gallagher wrote:
LCA wrote:
gallagher wrote:

If you use that as an argument, then where has people embraced anything new if it is consistently badly run and more often mostly among the also runs( or worse) of its competition.
We arent like the warriors in being a one team country. Of even like The Storm, who, although having to battle the AFL bias in Vic. Have had the money from News, as well as illegal help with buying and keeping players that other clubs could only dream of.
And the Warriors also have trouble with crowds when they're not winning. And it's the only game in the entire country.
We Have Competition.
Maybe if Cleary can help to pull us out of the dregs, we might be a more attractive proposition to support. I think a lot here lose the point that most of us are rusted on, and have been for a long while,
Normal people aren't, Therefore they couldn't less about a team who can't beat time with a stick most of the time, especially when they hardly see them in the community.
If the Club wants support from the Cambelltown area, they have to start earning it both on amd off the field
I agree with you. But that has nothing to do with my post you quoted. No other clubs are taking games to campbo.
I'd be happy to be totally based at campbo but the stadium isn't good enough. It's a better experience at home.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:45 am

gallagher wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:04 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:
LCA wrote:

We Have Competition.
I agree with you. But that has nothing to do with my post you quoted. No other clubs are taking games to campbo.
I'd be happy to be totally based at campbo but the stadium isn't good enough. It's a better experience at home.
Souths took one there this year.

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 11:10 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:45 am
gallagher wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:04 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:

We Have Competition.
Souths took one there this year.
We're talking NRL games.

Return to “Wests Tigers”