Our immediate future

Wests Tigers Discussion
steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Our immediate future

Unread post by steve-o » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:41 pm

We rushed the signing of Reynolds because the front office were desperate for some positive press. We could've got much better value for money if we just had a bit more patience.

McQueen is a concern because of his neck injury, and I suspect we paid overs for packer.

All other signings I'm pretty happy with, however it's disappointing that at the end of 2018 we won't have much money to spend on recruits for 2019, based on who's off contract at the end of next year.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

sideline eye
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 10:33 pm

A dominant pack equals wins. We will have a dominant pack next year and we'll win more than we lose.

Munk
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Munk » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 11:19 pm

notarealtiger wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:37 pm
No-one could've predicted this kind of player movement in the off season. Although I do expect one more signing before the start of the season.
Really? You believe no one saw the upheaval coming from the signing of the game's most experienced and credentialled halfback? A guy who would easily deserve north of a mill per season, squeezing into rosters who were already set, can only be achieved by moving on current players. The smart clubs were waiting for this to begin.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 11:50 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 10:33 pm
A dominant pack equals wins. We will have a dominant pack next year and we'll win more than we lose.
Only one thing wrong with your thoughts sidey...people forget that Brooks has to step right up to the plate and guide this team around the park and finish the sets off well...if he doesn't then someone else has to take control of the team,he has had enough chances for mine...he has to shape up or ship out..sick of hearing about potential,now all I wont to hear is competitiveness for the whole season,he has had plenty of time,chances and excuses...Ivan will make him or break him next season and I hope for Brooks sake he does come good..he was doing well towards the end of last year and should really improve... :o
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

sideline eye

Unread post by sideline eye » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:49 am

TrueTiger wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 11:50 pm
sideline eye wrote:
Only one thing wrong with your thoughts sidey...people forget that Brooks has to step right up to the plate and guide this team around the park and finish the sets off well...if he doesn't then someone else has to take control of the team,he has had enough chances for mine...he has to shape up or ship out..sick of hearing about potential,now all I wont to hear is competitiveness for the whole season,he has had plenty of time,chances and excuses...Ivan will make him or break him next season and I hope for Brooks sake he does come good..he was doing well towards the end of last year and should really improve... :o
Yep,TT, you are correct but my optimism is partly based on Ivan's remarks late in the season that he rated Brooks quite highly and was more optimistic of the team's success with Brooks than without him. I don't have the exact quotes but that was how I took his meaning.

Chris
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Chris » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 1:38 am

Im looking forward to Ivan changing the culture of our club. Fans included.

hodgo
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by hodgo » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 11:33 am

I disagree.

We have had a boys club that have basically run the club for years. The team being put together by cleary may not be as talented however it is a team of hard nosed vets that will hold people accountable. This with our juniors we keep producing will result in a culture shift that will benefit us for years to come.

Will we win a comp next year probably not. will we be embarrassed by a team that quits etc i doubt it. We will have a team that will grind and that teams wont want to play, definitely.

I am looking forward to having a forward pack that doesn't consistently get out muscled.

Im looking forward to a year based around a team not a couple of players.

And hopefully no Drama

Hodg

Telltails
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Telltails » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:22 pm

Have never bought the boys club excuse for years of mismanagement. A " boys club" only runs a club if the management allows them to. There are what is referred to as "boys clubs" at every team - thats what men do when they develop freindships and if anything it can be beneficial to a team if managed correctly.

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:38 pm

We were very competitive towards the end of this season so I see us being better next season with the improved roster we have.

Half of this season was sabotaged by the “lousy three”. For the latter part of the season we had a reserve grade NZ winger playing five eight and a crippled half back with suss hamstrings.
We brought in a couple of no nonsense forwards like Twal and Eiso who plugged defensive holes and ran straight. We brought in another reserve grade winger who did the job.

We lost the “lousy three” but I see this as a plus for our team/club because all our eggs are no longer in the same basket. $1M a year for Tedesco, $900K a year for Woods and $850K a year for Moses only allows us to mainly fill the rest of the team with nuffies. Only teams like the Bulldogs, Roosters, Broncos, Storm and Cowboys can pay top dollar to 3 or more players and still fill their roster with talent. Whether it be TPAs or plain brown paper bags of cash - we can’t compete at that level.

Cleary knows this and has bought decent talent at decent rates and is building an overall stronger squad. To me, this is phase one of Cleary’s plan, next year will build on this and then again the year after.

I had my doubts with Lolohea but Cleary could see something in him and he got better and better as the season went on. I’m told his preferred position is fullback. I’m happy to have him there.

Cleary has often mentioned the need for a full off season to implement his own structures. The improvements he made to our team this year, on the run, were there for all to see.

I’m not expecting a top four result next year but I would be surprised if we don’t end up fighting for a finals berth.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Glennb
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Glennb » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:49 pm

For mine we can massively improve our success simply by improving our last tackle options on the back of good go forward from an improved pack. I'm not sold on Reynolds providing this although from memory he has a decent long kicking game. I hope Cleary has Brooks grubbering between witches hats the whole of the summer

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 1:04 pm

hodgo wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 11:33 am
I disagree.

We have had a boys club that have basically run the club for years. The team being put together by cleary may not be as talented however it is a team of hard nosed vets that will hold people accountable. This with our juniors we keep producing will result in a culture shift that will benefit us for years to come.

Will we win a comp next year probably not. will we be embarrassed by a team that quits etc i doubt it. We will have a team that will grind and that teams wont want to play, definitely.

I am looking forward to having a forward pack that doesn't consistently get out muscled.

And hopefully no Drama

Hodg

Our forward pack supposedly being outmuscled each week was a myth. If you look at the rankings from last season, our forwards held their own for the most part. It was just that we had no one in the team creative enough to capitalise on it, and we still don't.

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 1:28 pm

Harvey wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 4:43 pm
Following an ordinary couple of days I woke up wearing brown coloured glasses. I think that our recruitment may not only produce an ordinary season next year, but lock us in to the bottom on the table for years to come.
We have signed experienced first graders who are nothing special and will not improve much (Reynolds, McQueen, Matulino, Packer etc) for a lot of coin over a lot of years.
At the same time we have given fringe first graders like MCK extended deals for at least 2 seasons.
This means that we have locked up a large proportion of our cap meaning younger players with some potential (Aloiai, LoLo, Brooks etc) may be picked off by other clubs if they step up

I have similar thoughts about 2018 and beyond TBH.

Then again we put all our hopes in the Big 4 and three punted us.

I wonder what and where we would be if the RObbie thing never happened... He would be gone by now as a club legend.

hodgo

Unread post by hodgo » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 1:52 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 1:04 pm
hodgo wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 11:33 am
I disagree.

And hopefully no Drama

Hodg

Our forward pack supposedly being outmuscled each week was a myth. If you look at the rankings from last season, our forwards held their own for the most part. It was just that we had no one in the team creative enough to capitalise on it, and we still don't.

Dude surely you dont think stats measure up when it comes to forward dominance. There were a couple of games were the boys stood up but on the whole we did not compete physically with the big forward packs. We hardly ever dominated a tackle, we very rarely bent the line consistently and we for sure never made teams wonder where the hit was coming from. They are all things that dont show up statistically but make a huge difference on the paddock.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 2:32 pm

Earl wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:34 pm
Telltails wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:22 pm
Im very nervous and given what we have spent we need to improve.
Although we have added some depth we have also lost our two biggest draw cards - love them or hate them - in Woods and Teddy.The last few days reinforces that real good players seem to head to clubs with other real good players unless of course they are seeking the big paycheck to see out their career.
I have faith in the coach, but the recruitment of some of our competitors in recent days has me revaluating my level of expectation.
Woods is a dud. I think we are much stronger in the forwards without him there especially on a dollar per player basis. Moses and Tedesco are the big losses but hopefully someone will come through and provide the spark that we need.
Don't agree that he is a dud, but he's not a spearhead( such as Hargreaves, or klezmer,
But working with someone like those two, he would be a lot more effective.
He's had to carry a very ordinary pack for a long time.
His work rate is good, he can offload when he's allowed toand can play big minutes when needed to.
Certainly better than a lot of props going around in the NRL

Tigersmurf
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Tigersmurf » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 2:51 pm

In the past a large chunk of our salary cap has been spent on a handful of players who couldn't deliver consistently, and then blamed their teammates for the clubs poor form. We got many of the players we were chasing, and the money is much more evenly spread for 2018. I expect that to result in consistency.

Brooks will have protection he has not had in the past and that will give him time to make decisions and control the game. I disagree that the dogs were better without Reynolds, they lost some spark without him there and only turned their season around when there was talk of Des getting the chop.

I think we are missing a couple of key players, and a RTS would fill that void. Otherwise we wait until other players become available or we steal the best from the lower grades at other clubs. I hear the lower grade fullback we poached from the Sharks really has some potential.

Earl
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 3:17 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 2:32 pm
Earl wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:34 pm
Telltails wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:22 pm
Im very nervous and given what we have spent we need to improve.
Although we have added some depth we have also lost our two biggest draw cards - love them or hate them - in Woods and Teddy.The last few days reinforces that real good players seem to head to clubs with other real good players unless of course they are seeking the big paycheck to see out their career.
I have faith in the coach, but the recruitment of some of our competitors in recent days has me revaluating my level of expectation.
Woods is a dud. I think we are much stronger in the forwards without him there especially on a dollar per player basis. Moses and Tedesco are the big losses but hopefully someone will come through and provide the spark that we need.
Don't agree that he is a dud, but he's not a spearhead( such as Hargreaves, or klezmer,
But working with someone like those two, he would be a lot more effective.
He's had to carry a very ordinary pack for a long time.
His work rate is good, he can offload when he's allowed toand can play big minutes when needed to.
Certainly better than a lot of props going around in the NRL
I reckon he is a dud. You see him play for Australia or NSW and he just plods up, turns his back and does basically nothing. Yep he gets consistent metres and he has a great offload at times. His hit-ups though often leave the team on the backfoot. His defence can also be lazy. He does have a great work rate.

He just isn't the right player to lead a pack and he is getting paid as as you call it to be a spearhead. I think we are better off without him. I think our pack next year will be better without him.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 3:28 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:49 am
TrueTiger wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 11:50 pm
sideline eye wrote:
Yep,TT, you are correct but my optimism is partly based on Ivan's remarks late in the season that he rated Brooks quite highly and was more optimistic of the team's success with Brooks than without him. I don't have the exact quotes but that was how I took his meaning.
Whatever Cleary may think about Brooks, he's not silly enough to bake him in public.

He can't come out and say that he can't tackle to save his life, or that his short kicking game is on the nose. Clearys thoughts probably won't be seen until about round six next year.

notarealtiger

Unread post by notarealtiger » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 4:24 pm

Even though our forward pack hasn't been the best in recent years, the losses can't fall on them. I think we've all noticed a lot of missed opportunities due to not being able to build pressure i.e. the short kicking game of Brooks has been left wanting.

Our forward pack has overall gotten better so the biggest problem we have next year is we don't have a recognised kicker. Decent amount of running in the squad but nobody to build pressure. Ironically Brooks wad quite good at this in 2014. Let's hope he recaptures that form.

Return to “Wests Tigers”